Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13621 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

GMG has Sacred 2 Gold for $6.79 ($5.43 AC). Requires Capsule to download, can't be traded in, so I assume it is the recent DRM-FREE release. GG has it DRM-FREE, Steam has it (and DRM-FREE on steam).

You know, now that I think about it I don't think it technically is DRM free because it's married to the capsule. It doesn't require a constant connection, just an initial check to make sure you still own it, but IIRC it won't run the game if you aren't connected to verify ownership so technically it is acting as a sort of DRM.

I see why they do it with games they are allowing trade in on, but this one and a number of others they don't allow trade ins so it's dumb that they force the launcher.

Honestly, if someone wants it DRM free just wait for a Gamersgate sale. They have had the old gold version $5 on the UK site before so sooner or later this new one will get there too.

Also, and don't quote me on this but maybe someone who owns the new version on Steam can verify (Jshackles?), but I thought I read someone on the Steam forums say that you can run the exe for the new Sacred 2 Gold DRM free without Steam running and it won't call up Steam.

steam_sig.png

#13622 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

You know, now that I think about it I don't think it technically is DRM free because it's married to the capsule. It doesn't require a constant connection, just an initial check to make sure you still own it, but IIRC it won't run the game if you aren't connected to verify ownership so technically it is acting as a sort of DRM.

Spoiler

There are two classes titles on GMG that require Capsule. "Capsule Client: requires Capsule to download" and "Capsule Client : This title requires Capsule to play." Sacred 2 Gold has the first label. I do not own any of the "requires Capulse to download" class, so I cannot confirm how they act. What I can say is that GMG didn't carry Sacred 2 Gold before. This is certainly the new release of Sacred 2 Gold. Sacred 2 Gold on GG and Steam is DRM-FREE.

That said it's certainly reasonable to wait for a GG or Steam sale.

I own Sacred 2 Gold from GG.co.uk (SecuROM version), and recently got the newer DRM-FREE version added to my library. The older version is separate base and expansion at a lower patch version (and UK edition). The new release is patched up to something.65 and is a single download/installer.

@sleeping_lights_on -- check your GG library, you might have the new DRM-FREE version in it already ... old version will be tagged with Sacred 2 Gold (old). If not file a ticket, they'll get you the new DRM-FREE version.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13623 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Okay I didn't realize there were differences in capsule to download vs capsule required games. I normally don't mess with the capsule except for their free games and in those cases I know it required the capsule to run an online check before it let you play.

steam_sig.png

#13624 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hmmmmmm. This is a dilemma. If I can just download once and have a nice shiny DRM free, i'll make the purchase. Otherwise no.

HOLY F Sacred 2 Gold in my Gamersgate library next to the (old)
Asheskitty! THANKS SO MUCH. You saved me 5$, till I can get it on Steam. Wow. Thanks so much.
And thank you Gamersgate.

How did people find out about this Sacred 2 deal?

DRM Free Compilations make me so very happy. I'm recently pretty excited about the Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete over at GOG. However thank god I also have it on steam. Before it got yanked. The horror. Until I find another game I want more than anything and its no longer on steam. Ghostbusters.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 28 January 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#13625 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hmmmmmm. This is a dilemma. If I can just download once and have a nice shiny DRM free, i'll make the purchase. Otherwise no.

*Edit: ninja'ed as a replied! Never mind. ;)

If you have the old version on GG and you don't have the new version in your library contact support and request it. They should give it to you for free. No need to rebuy it.

steam_sig.png

#13626 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Okay I didn't realize there were differences in capsule to download vs capsule required games. I normally don't mess with the capsule except for their free games and in those cases I know it required the capsule to run an online check before it let you play.

^_^ Absolutely. It's something I only noticed in the past month or so. I have a couple paid for titles that require Capsule -- High School Dreams (only on GMG), Beyond Divinity (terrible ratings, but backlogged for like $0.87), and Two Worlds EE (just under $2 iirc, but I kinda regret having this on GMG-Capsule).

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#13627 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

There are two classes titles on GMG that require Capsule. "Capsule Client: requires Capsule to download" and "Capsule Client : This title requires Capsule to play." Sacred 2 Gold has the first label. I do not own any of the "requires Capulse to download" class, so I cannot confirm how they act. What I can say is that GMG didn't carry Sacred 2 Gold before. This is certainly the new release of Sacred 2 Gold. Sacred 2 Gold on GG and Steam is DRM-FREE.

That said it's certainly reasonable to wait for a GG or Steam sale.

I own Sacred 2 Gold from GG.co.uk (SecuROM version), and recently got the newer DRM-FREE version added to my library. The older version is separate base and expansion at a lower patch version (and UK edition). The new release is patched up to something.65 and is a single download/installer.

@sleeping_lights_on -- check your GG library, you might have the new DRM-FREE version in it already ... old version will be tagged with Sacred 2 Gold (old). If not file a ticket, they'll get you the new DRM-FREE version.

Thanks for the differentiation there, I'm newer to GMG and so far have only purchased Steam keys. I really want Sacred Gold 2 but I think I'll wait for a GG or Steam sale. Good info!

#13628 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Also, and don't quote me on this but maybe someone who owns the new version on Steam can verify (Jshackles?), but I thought I read someone on the Steam forums say that you can run the exe for the new Sacred 2 Gold DRM free without Steam running and it won't call up Steam.

I'll try to remember to check when I get home. I usually just launch my Steam games directly from Steam, but I'll give it a go with this one and let you guys know.

I *DO* know that I was able to install the community patch / expansion thingy just fine with the Steam version.

#13629 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Good to see you back.

Looking forward to trying out Mark of the Ninja

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#13630 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I prefer more static enemy levels like in Borderlands over meeting level 65 bandits at level 65 outside the starting town ("Hey, you guys been questing too? We should all go kill dragons!") but I'll admit that BL could have done it better. Even when I wasn't making a point to complete every board & side mission, I would typically be a few levels over my foes.

How does BL handle level disparities during co-op? I'd be willing to co-op BL with any of you folks still playing but I don't know if it's problematic if we're not at the same place, power-wise.

So this is the comment I see constantly, the Borderlands enemies are too easy.

But from the little I played of Borderlands (about 3 hours) a few years ago, my experience was the opposite. I took every side quest I could get and found enemies on normal difficulty quests to be absolute bullet sponges and extremely difficult. I would die 10 or 15 times before finally whittling a boss's health down. Eventually I just quit playing.

This leads me to believe, as the evidence against the game being super difficult is rather compelling, that I was somehow playing Borderlands incorrectly.

What was I doing wrong? Because I'd like to go back to it sometime.

#13631 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

So this is the comment I see constantly, the Borderlands enemies are too easy.

But from the little I played of Borderlands (about 3 hours) a few years ago, my experience was the opposite. I took every side quest I could get and found enemies on normal difficulty quests to be absolute bullet sponges and extremely difficult. I would die 10 or 15 times before finally whittling a boss's health down. Eventually I just quit playing.

This leads me to believe, as the evidence against the game being super difficult is rather compelling, that I was somehow playing Borderlands incorrectly.

What was I doing wrong? Because I'd like to go back to it sometime.

I'd be happy to roll a new toon (I'm thinking Mordecai) and co-op with you a bit in BL1. All my 128 hours in BL1 was on Lilith.

What toon were you having problems on? I do recall decent gear making a good difference, but that shouldn't be an issue in the first few hours. I'm kinda guessing here, but maybe you were using some low accuracy weapon(s) from too far away. Also having the right elemental weapon for the job makes a difference.

I did get my ass handed to me by Sledge (lv16-19 I forget) for a bit, until I got the hang of it more (and a few more levels).

#13632 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I was playing a soldier, and I think I was largely using a sniper rifle.

#13633 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Each class had a weapon type that was really meant for them because of skills they would learn. The Solider was for assault rifles, sniper rifle was for Mordecai (as well as handguns iirc). Siren was for SMG's and Bazookas for Brick.

#13634 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Your playing the game wrong!!! Mordecai is the way to go with sniper rifle. Each character has skills that will favor a weapon set, you typically want to stay with that set for your best chances. That's not to say each character shouldn't use the other weapons though.

I solo'd Mordecai through all the DLC after playing the main game. Even using a crappy low lvl fire elemental sniper rifle I was one shotting (with crits) most standard enemies. When overwhelmed I just let my juiced up Bloodwing fly and he took out most enemies with 1 shot as well.

#13635 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Glad we got that cleared up.

#13636 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I can confirm that Sacred 2 shouldn't need internet access/Capsule. Capsule does usually require constant internet access... for games that can be traded in. The client checks your account once a month to see if you've traded in any games or not, and removes access to them through Capsule. That's why the constant internet connection is necessary.

If Capsule is only being used to download the game, and the game cannot be traded in, I'm relatively sure that you're not going to run into that issue with the game (hopefully).

Your playing the game wrong!!! Mordecai is the way to go with sniper rifle. Each character has skills that will favor a weapon set, you typically want to stay with that set for your best chances. That's not to say each character shouldn't use the other weapons though.

I solo'd Mordecai through all the DLC after playing the main game. Even using a crappy low lvl fire elemental sniper rifle I was one shotting (with crits) most standard enemies. When overwhelmed I just let my juiced up Bloodwing fly and he took out most enemies with 1 shot as well.

Regardless of what you think you're going to use, you end up just using all of the weapons. Why? You're going to run out of ammo and need to switch.

Off-topic, which should I give a whirl first? Sleeping Dogs or Dishonored?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13637 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Even then any character should still be able to use most any weapon effectively. One thing you might have run into is that (even though quests might have been flagged normal) there is a brick-wall like resistance modifier where anything three levels or higher than you takes very little damage.

#13638 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

One thing about GMG is that sometimes when a game is on sale they will mark it as "No Trade In" and then a week or two later you'll actually be able to trade it in. I don't know why they do that, but sometimes they do.

#13639 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

One thing about GMG is that sometimes when a game is on sale they will mark it as "No Trade In" and then a week or two later you'll actually be able to trade it in. I don't know why they do that, but sometimes they do.

Right, that's what I was thinking. I had that happen once or twice (once with High School Dreams).

So who knows...

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13640 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Revolvers > snipers with Mordecai.

For the first playthrough, snipers + bloodwing works well. But eventually, it takes multiple headshots per mob to kill, and bloodwing's damage start sucking.

#13641 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

The Flat Rats Bundle :lol:

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#13642 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Nice, 2 of my favorite games last year!
I think I'd probably play Dishonored first, as it's a bit shorter and offers a more directed (though still quite unlinear) path to the endgame. I found the overall combat vs stealth quite fun and refreshing (I didn't like Deus Ex HR that much as a reference), and the various methods of finishing stages made for some good short-term replay.

I think Sleeping Dogs is a great game as well in its own right, though even as an open world it suffers from extremely linear story missions which start to lack variety midway through the game. I still loved the story in some ways more than Dishonored, but that's because I like HK action movies. The combat was pretty fun and the characters were believable and enjoyable, in a HK movie sort of way (not in a realistic way haha).

Both games look incredible on PC and are great experiences, so you can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion.
Posted Image

#13643 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Spoiler

Thanks, guess I'll give Dishonored a shot. (Thanks Motoki. ;))

bZ2g3eF.png

#13644 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

The Flat Rats Bundle :lol:

Hahaha, that's pretty hilarious - Any CAG that truly wanted the infamous title probably picked it up when it was 50 cents during the Steam Holiday Sale.

Oh, but wait - This bundle includes FlatOut!

#13645 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Revolvers > snipers with Mordecai.

For the first playthrough, snipers + bloodwing works well. But eventually, it takes multiple headshots per mob to kill, and bloodwing's damage start sucking.

Thanks for that confirmation! I was wanting to go through with a revolver/bloodwing build.

Even then any character should still be able to use most any weapon effectively. One thing you might have run into is that (even though quests might have been flagged normal) there is a brick-wall like resistance modifier where anything three levels or higher than you takes very little damage.

Right, the ammo limitation... also sometimes the right weapon for the job, Rakk problem? Ma, git da shotgun!

The preferred weapon mainly benefits from talents & class mod bonuses. Though playstyle comparability helps.

I can confirm that Sacred 2 shouldn't need internet access/Capsule.

Spoiler

If you have some patience, Dishonored. If you don't Sleeping Dogs. I tried to play dishonored when I lacked (pretty totally) patience and I dropped it after a few hours. Sleeping Dogs I played through when feverishly sick and it was a very welcome distraction.

#13646 ilikerice01

ilikerice01

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hmm, is Sleeping Dogs a good game for $10 or has it been cheaper? It looks pretty good from the various videos I've seen. Any solid mods or technical differences that I should be aware of before buying it?

#13647 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I was happy with sniper rifles as my main weapon throughout my BL experience but I fear we may be hijacking too much. I'd be willing to discuss this in more detail in some Steam Group forum... perhaps even set up time to dink around with some new characters if people are so inclined.

#13648 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Hmm, is Sleeping Dogs a good game for $10 or has it been cheaper? It looks pretty good from the various videos I've seen. Any solid mods or technical differences that I should be aware of before buying it?

It's been cheaper twice during a Steam and GMG price mistake (Around $4.50 on Steam, and $11.90 with $6 credit on GMG). I don't know what you mean by technical differences, but I didn't play with mods. Yes, it's a good game for $10. If you don't mind waiting, it will get cheaper though.

#13649 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I was happy with sniper rifles as my main weapon throughout my BL experience but I fear we may be hijacking too much. I'd be willing to discuss this in more detail in some Steam Group forum... perhaps even set up time to dink around with some new characters if people are so inclined.

Yeah, we're definitely blocking all that Binding of Issac daily discussion. =p

#13650 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

It was on PC and Digital Download. I bought Contracts off Gamefly (at a good price) slightly before/after it got pulled. Hopefully it's simply matter of making that version available for sale again. (I seriously doubt PC will ever see an "HD" re-release, not that it should matter much for us.)

Oh yes of course that's right. Normally, they don't have to remaster games on PC since modders usually take care of that aspect.

I doubt it, too - as usually PC version is of the highest-quality to begin with.
It's the console-versions that normally get chopped-down (i.e. less graphic features and lower-texture quality).

That's right since there are so many talented modders.

So this was posted in the Indie Game Stand thread but I figure some people might not check there and it's a game that is highly likely to get Greenlit thus getting in now gets you a Steam copy later for cheap.

Cognition is the current Indie Game stand game.

http://indiegamestand.com/

It's pay what you want, with a $1 minimum to get keys (so if you want a Steam key later make sure you pay at least $1). If you beat the Average, currently $1.43, you get a soundtrack and prequel comic.

If you do Paypal and the game doesn't show up for you submit a support ticket and keep checking back as some people have had it show up for them after several hours. The issue is known by Indie Game Stand and they are working on it.

You got released! :applause: Welcome back!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image