Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14011 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I get what you are saying but it would have been nice if valve had said "Stop all talk about deals at any place other than the Steam store or your group will be deleted."

I totally agree, they should have given a warning telling people to stop it otherwise the groups would be shutdown. They did handle it poorly and I wont argue that.

#14012 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

It's not software though. Steam pushes itself as a game playing client, not a store. It lets you add outside games, chat with friends, etc. It's supposed to hold itself neutral in that respect, but that's obviously not the truth. They want you to use their client no matter what game or even software you use, but now they don't want you talking about buying games outside of their client, etc. So things are changing and it is a dick move.

#14013 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

If Origin had a community feature in their client and people were promoting buying games that activate on Origin from its competitors you can be damn sure they would shut that down, EA of all is not one to want to share. Their actions have proven that over and over.

The point is that Steam and Origin keys being available in places other than Origin and Steam are EA and Valve created systems. THEY instituted this system, and now they are punishing their customers for talking about it.

You honestly think that's hunky dory? Alright man.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14014 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

One of the admins of Trader's Guild posted this: "We've already talked with Valve support and they said that advertising sales from authorized resellers, listing the ones you mentioned (Amazon etc.), was not an issue. The problem is likely that the ones that are disabling our groups have not communicated with the ones who said that it's fine and are doing so out of precedence/procedure. We'll see what they have to say about it."

So it's likely some misfire, or something else is off about it.

#14015 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

The point is that Steam and Origin keys being available in places other than Origin and Steam are EA and Valve created systems. THEY instituted this system, and now they are punishing their customers for talking about it.

You know, the way you come off in your posts, I can see why so many people dislike/have/had issues with you.

#14016 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

One of the admins of Trader's Guild posted this: "We've already talked with Valve support and they said that advertising sales from authorized resellers, listing the ones you mentioned (Amazon etc.), was not an issue. The problem is likely that the ones that are disabling our groups have not communicated with the ones who said that it's fine and are doing so out of precedence/procedure. We'll see what they have to say about it."

So it's likely some misfire, or something else is off about it.

Interesting. With how Steam support is, we'll see who actually is doing the "right" thing.

You know, the way you come off in your posts, I can see why so many people dislike/have/had issues with you.

I'm mad at Steam, not you. ;)

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#14017 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, my suspicion was they were cracking down on "trading" because they are going to make all trades go through their marketplace or whatever, but if that's the case groups like CAG are clearly not trading groups.

#14018 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Steam's a business, first and formost. You guys are forgetting the one key business lesson that we all should've learnt by now:

Posted Image

Now, out of genuine interest, can people tell me the last time they got something useful from the Steam CAG group? Really, I'm genuinely curious. Did you hook up a trade? Did you spot a deal? What?

I'll start:

Nope. Nada. Nish. :)

#14019 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Steam's a business, first and formost. You guys are forgetting the one key business lesson that we all should've learnt by now:

I assume you're just posting to use the picture since one of the foremost lessons of business is keeping a happy and placated customer base ;)

#14020 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Recette is such a capitalism ho.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14021 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

I assume you're just posting to use the picture since one of the foremost lessons of business is keeping a happy and placated customer base ;)

Apple charge inflated prices for standard stock. They make plenty of cash.

We're one of those pesky "informed" customer bases who represent a minority of Steam's income stream. Anything that takes cash away from Valve is a threat, I can see why they're doing it.

Now, if you think this is bad, imagine how pissed you'd be if Steam charged a monthly fee for using their servers...

Premium Steam ;)

#14022 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Recette is such a capitalism ho.

Oh, man...
LMAO!

#14023 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Wait, what was their 'reasoning' for shutting down the CAG group?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14024 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Groundhog's Day Birthday tomorrow lol. I get to predict the winter tho I don't want to get any older

I srsly buy all these games and still end up playing 2K13

Edited by MC Kage, 02 February 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#14025 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Apple charge inflated prices for standard stock. They make plenty of cash.

We're one of those pesky "informed" customer bases who represent a minority of Steam's income stream. Anything that takes cash away from Valve is a threat, I can see why they're doing it.

Now, if you think this is bad, imagine how pissed you'd be if Steam charged a monthly fee for using their servers...

Premium Steam ;)

No need for a voice of reason here, sir. This thread is for getting all hot and bothered about something that we are ill informed to get hot and bothered about.

#14026 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

I just have to wonder if that Steam support rep knew what he was talking about.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14027 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Well, my suspicion was they were cracking down on "trading" because they are going to make all trades go through their marketplace or whatever, but if that's the case groups like CAG are clearly not trading groups.

Is Steam going to have a RMAH?

EDIT:

Now, out of genuine interest, can people tell me the last time they got something useful from the Steam CAG group? Really, I'm genuinely curious. Did you hook up a trade? Did you spot a deal? What?

I'll start:

Nope. Nada. Nish. :)

Naw, I do most of my posting on CAG forums.
I show up on Steam's new forums or power-user forums, from time-to-time.

I'd say CAG Steam Group is how probably some CAG users found each other over Steam...if they didn't already decide while on CAG Forums they need to become Steam Friends and go on to exchange Steam UserNames.

I find a lot of deals on games from CAG here itself (obviously);
from actually just jumping on actual 3rd party seller's sites (Amazon DVG, Gamestop PC App, Gamersgate, GOG, etc);
Shacknews when they decide do "Weekend PC Deal" round-up posts like these and other sites that sometimes do these (like Joystiq does sometimes like this);
etc etc.

Hey, I go where the best price goes for what I want. Steam got it - I want in. Amazon got it - I want in. GOG got it - I want in. I don't care - if you're cheapest, I want in.
Give me my games cheap & take my $! :P

Edited by MysterD, 02 February 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#14028 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

I'm going to assume that they searched for certain keywords (such as, well, "TRADING") and generated a list of Steam groups, and that they then either auto-nixed the larger groups or had some peon eyeball them and make a 3-second yay/nay based on the more recent / most popular posts within said groups. If there were a big trading thread immediately visible within the group, I can guess that it would have gotten a nay with little to no scrutiny involved.

Any method that suggests any more human interaction than this toward shutting down what I would guess to be hundreds of groups among millions total, I wouldn't see as plausible.

#14029 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

As far as I know the only keys that activate on Origin are EA keys, so this would never happen with Origin because EA is making their cut on the keys no matter where you buy it.

#14030 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Did anybody ever actually use the CAG Steam group?

Spoiler

Never, I had no clue if/what the CAG steam group was about when I accepted the invite a little while after joining CAG. I just hadn't had a use for it. It was swelling badly because of the steamgifts mania.

So Steam killed the groups because they were advertising deals elsewhere? Wow. Just wow. Pretty soon it will be a bannable offense to say "GMG", "Amazon", etc.

We'll just adopt codewords for them the same way the intelligence community does: Nancy (NSA), Fred (FBI), Charlie (CIA), etc. Less awkward though since we don't need to communicate about organizations that don't officially exist.

Spoiler
So if anything, Valve shouldn't be shutting down the customers (bad PR) but should be stipulating to the game companies that either it is against their TOS to sell their Steam keys on competing sites, or that if they do sell them on other sites, they cannot be sold for lower than what they're sold on Steam.

Punishing the end users for this behavior is just... bizarre.

That legally borders on price fixing (to be decided in court).

We really cant be angry about them closing deal groups really.

Spoiler

We can be angry at them for making a community-hostile move. I haven't seen anyone argue against "it's their board and they can censor whatever they want."

Valve is letting the power get to their heads. The steam drm is often praised as a good thing, valve must have thought nothing could change that and then this happened. No matter how you put it, steam is drm. A drm that (for the most part) has more pros than cons but the tables are turning.

It's a lot like voting. Steam-DRM is the lesser of DRMs, being just account based, not limited activations (and the sometimes invasive software approach to that -- remember Sony's rootkit fiasco?) Being able to quickly and reliably re-download your games from a company you are sure is going to be around in a few years is a major plus for Backloggers. Some of us bought games from D2D, they went under. While Gamefly allows us to re-download some of our D2D games, we don't have access to everything we bought.

Are you kidding? Post about this on SPUF and you'll get a thousand howling Corporate Paladins bitching at you about how dare you use Steam to talk about another company

Spoiler
Alternately, you are using their software to promote sales of other games using the Steam DRM platform.

It's all about perspective. The muddling comes from Valve wanting "Steam" to be both store and universal platform.

There are other companies? ^_~ Seriously, one of the bigggest pluses for getting newer games on Steam is the ability to pick up DLC later on sale, from many places, but since Steam has the broadest holiday sales, I often pickup DLC on steam.

Actually, I think he's mellowed out in the past few months. IRL you have a reasonably good idea of the age of someone talking. Based on this we give them different leeway and response. Your reaction to identical actions/speech of a 13 year old and a 26 year old are different. Once you have an idea of someone's age, you are able to put their actions into better context.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14031 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

Another BL2 Shift key to celebrate The Angel's B-day:
C3WBT-C6F5C-HCRTJ-3J3BT-C96ZW

#14032 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

While maybe not the best for PR, I'm not at all surprised they shut down trading/deal groups. Not only are they paying to host groups that drive business away, there is also a not so small subset of people who try to prey on the uninformed in those groups and scam them out of games. I imagine that was a CS headache for Valve.

As for the CAG group, I never really used it. All of the deals were posted way after they had been posted here on the site, and it was too big to be of much use socially.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#14033 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Actually, I think he's mellowed out in the past few months. IRL you have a reasonably good idea of the age of someone talking. Based on this we give them different leeway and response. Your reaction to identical actions/speech of a 13 year old and a 26 year old are different. Once you have an idea of someone's age, you are able to put their actions into better context.

So you're saying he aged 13 years in a few months? Wow, he's like a backwards Benjamin Button!

#14034 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Actually, I think he's mellowed out in the past few months.

Exactly, I'm getting bored.

bZ2g3eF.png

#14035 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

While maybe not the best for PR, I'm not at all surprised they shut down trading/deal groups. Not only are they paying to host groups that drive business away, there is also a not so small subset of people who try to prey on the uninformed in those groups and scam them out of games. I imagine that was a CS headache for Valve.

As for the CAG group, I never really used it. All of the deals were posted way after they had been posted here on the site, and it was too big to be of much use socially.

Those are good points, and I understand Valve's position. What bothers me most is that Valve created the community aspect of the service to allow external communities to plant their digital flags there, and they just shit all over ours, in a broad sense. I never got much use out of the group either, but it's the principalities of the whole thang.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#14036 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Steam keeps resetting itself and asking me to install an update from December 19th... the hell?
Posted Image

#14037 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Steam keeps resetting itself and asking me to install an update from December 19th... the hell?

I'm hacking you and that's my decoy while I buy up a crap load of games on your credit card.

#14038 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm hacking you and that's my decoy while I buy up a crap load of games on your credit card.

The only reason I know this isn't true is because I work for an awful cheap asshole, so my paycheck bounced, and there isn't that much money to buy games with... trust me, I missed out on Lucius. :cry:
Posted Image

#14039 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Another BL2 Shift key to celebrate The Angel's B-day:
C3WBT-C6F5C-HCRTJ-3J3BT-C96ZW

Thanks! =) That isn't up on orcz yet.

When does the Winter Sale start? ^_~

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14040 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

When does the Winter Sale start? ^_~

December 10th, 1942.
Posted Image