Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14611 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Praise The Sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Just finished up Sly Cooper Thieves in Time for the PS3. Loved it. Now I come back to see a huge spike of TDU2 talk. My God you all went crazy over that. Luckily it's not something I was interested in.

#14612 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Quite possibly a good suggestion. My earlier point was (1) the TDU2 physics model / handling is great (contrary to metacritics) -- I only played it with assists off. And (2) assists can really chance handling and responsiveness, mess with them if you're not satisfied, it can make it a whole new game. On TDU2 "hardcore" I've only run into two squirrely handing situations so far the C4 class Mustang when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd gear (really exaggerated) and when barreling downhill (realistic, appropriate).

I'd suggest those great w/ racing games in general - yeah, "Hardcore" is the way to go. You can get so much speed and nothing (no assistance) is in your way. You can fly like the wind. If you fail a turn - you're likely toast, though, on this setting. My problem - I'd spin out or fail a turn so bad sometimes, I'd fail.

Failing a turn or screwing it up a little bit on "Sports" mode is more forgivable for me.

"Full assistance" feels like it's for newbies or those not too familiar w/ these style of racers.

So, depends on the play-style, I'd say.

#14613 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

I also decided to give Silverfall a shot, since I bandwagoned and bought it for cheap during the last big sale. First of all, make sure you install the base game first before installing the expansion (if you want to start with a level 1 character). Otherwise, you will have to verify the files in Earth's Awakening. But, before you even do that, don't bother installing the game. its terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled by games of the genre. I played Diablo1,2,3, Torchlight 1,2, Titan Quests, Path of Exile, Sacred Gold, Hinterland, etc. Silverfall is real unenjoyable right from the start. I can't really give any exact reasons. It just isnt fun. Invisible walls over the map dont help much either. The visuals arent bad, with the cartoony cell-shaded look. But thats the only good thing about the game. Theres way too much uninteresting dialogue to click through for quests. The map doesnt adjust to how you have the screen rotated. I dont think its possible to put a potion in a hotbar. The crafting system looks way too complicated for me to give a damn about it. The skills are boring.

I would like to say that I am biased against old clunky games, but that isnt true. I played Sacred Gold recently for 20+ hours and enjoyed it. That game was clunky as hell and is quite old.

tldr#2: Silverfall is garbage, dont bother installing it. It is a huge download too.

Sorry you didn't like Silverfall: Complete. :(

I, on the other-hand, really liked the game; especially w/ both SF & SF:EA installed together. Of course, I played them both NOT too long after they both were released; that probably helped quite a bit, as well.

I liked the setting; art-style; the combat; party-based ARPG; and that you actually had to make choices in some quests (either pro-Technology or pro-Nature) - and it also would reflect what skills you could or couldn't learn, as well.

#14614 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

I, on the other-hand, really liked the game; especially w/ both SF & SF:EA installed together. Of course, I played them both NOT too long after they both were released; that probably helped quite a bit, as well.

I liked the setting; art-style; the combat; party-based ARPG; and that you actually had to make choices in some quests (either pro-Technology or pro-Nature) - and it also would reflect what skills you could or couldn't learn, as well.

I tried it recently, too. Wouldn't say it's that bad but it just isn't holding my interest. The environments are fairly generic (massive open areas filled with set groups of mobs a la Titan quest) and there's no real sense of exploration. The nature vs. technology thing is neat but overall the talents are fairly generic. I'd probably be more into it if I hadn't already sunk 100+ hours into Torchlight 2 and various other ARPGs. That said, I don't blame you for my purchase as I've had my eye on it for a while. :lol:

#14615 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Aww, I thought he was playing Hotline Miami, but he just shaved his beard.

Someone else got to enjoy that sad realization, good. :oldman:
Posted Image

#14616 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

I tried it recently, too. Wouldn't say it's that bad but it just isn't holding my interest. The environments are fairly generic (massive open areas filled with set groups of mobs a la Titan quest) and there's no real sense of exploration. The nature vs. technology thing is neat but overall the talents are fairly generic. I'd probably be more into it if I hadn't already sunk 100+ hours into Torchlight 2 and various other ARPGs. That said, I don't blame you for my purchase as I've had my eye on it for a while. :lol:

Oh, yeah - sinking 100+ hours into other ARPG's already recently won't help matters, either.

I think that's why I haven't finished TL2 - I've played so many isometric ARPG's over the years (D1, D2 with LOD, DS1, DS2 + BW, DS3, TQ with IT, etc) and also recently played through D3 (first difficulty) and S2: Gold here and there...
then when I got 10 hours into TL2...and I just stopped cold w/ it.

Also probably why I'm playing TDU2 now - I needed a break from RPG's, as I was recently playing Skyrim again...

#14617 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

So do you need to make an account anywhere in TDU 2? Or should I say make an account anywhere not in the game as in on a website?

It's going to take me at least 2-3 days to get my TDU 2 downloaded and installed, and well I want to avoid any more time trying to get the game running than I have to. I can already tell, this Securom might be a nightmare.

It sounds like Ni No Kuni and TDU2 will be fighting for my time. Ni No Kuni will probably win for now with TDU 2 sprinkled in an hour or so here or there.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#14618 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

I liked all of that stuff too, yet I still agree with JakeNome. Everything is in place for a decent ARPG, but the game is just painfully boring. The enemy groups become way too predictable, not to mention the game's biggest problem - unbalanced difficulty and enemies with way too much HP.

On easy - and oh, how I hate having to switch any game to easy - you respawn with all your gear and the game is fairly manageable. Except for the fact that even basic enemies often take 30 seconds to several literal minutes to kill. On normal or harder, just forget about it, pretty much any enemy encounter can be fatal and you have to go find your corpse to get your gear back (not an inherently bad mechanic, I just feel it doesn't work in Silverfall.)

I mean, I finished both campaigns but by the end I really was hating it. Just my two cents, and still far from the worst thing I own on Steam.

#14619 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

So do you need to make an account anywhere in TDU 2? Or should I say make an account anywhere not in the game as in on a website?

Spoiler

The installer sends you to: https://www.testdriv...m/user/register
to create an account for online play (no need for serial for the account).

SecuROM activation wasn't the automated behind your back kind, but simply a prompt on first launch to enter your serial (then it connected to the server, reduced your computer to a simple number, and put a kitten in a Schrödinger Box).

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14620 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

and put a kitten in a Schrödinger Box).

Which was, to be honest, a timesaver, as I had planned to do that anyway.

#14621 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Steam got butthurt over people posting non-steam deals on steam, correct? Then why is it when I pull up Trine (4inFeb,woo!) I see an article telling me to save money by buying on GOG? Bwuh?
Posted Image

#14622 Bilbo1

Bilbo1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

if i understood correctly, it had mainly to do with origin games and origin deals

#14623 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

if i understood correctly, it had mainly to do with origin games and origin deals

Aren't there some EA games on Steam, like Alice? Can someone check and see if the articles that pop up mention Origin at all, I'd be curious. I just find it amusing that steam would go after the community and not think to check that first.
Posted Image

#14624 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I do wonder why the GOG group never got taken down. Posting advertisements for their sales is pretty much the only reason that the GOG Group exists.

#14625 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I do wonder why the GOG group never got taken down. Posting advertisements for their sales is pretty much the only reason that the GOG Group exists.

CAG is going wonky, for a few minutes this post of yours was what I had just posted. The steam-machine is on to me!!! :hot:
Posted Image

#14626 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

CAG is going wonky, for a few minutes this post of yours was what I had just posted. The steam-machine is on to me!!! :hot:

lol no, I actually re-posted your double post to make it the same thing three times in a row. Then when you deleted your second post, I deleted my re-post of what you posted because it just looked weird. Not that it was a real knee-slapper on my part, but any humor was gone after you deleted your second post.

#14627 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble getting networking to work with it. One thing that comes to mind is to enable the UPnP option on your router (that allows applications to open the ports they need).

What vehicle are you driving? I also suggest turning assists off ("hardcore" in TDU2 parlance). I have a personal like of the Touareg, and a strong personal disdain for the H3 (IRL and in game). I haven't tried the new makes of Land Rover.

Yeah, UPnP was active on the router before I started. I can't explain it.

I have the Touareg (weird name, VW!)--it was the cheapest B4 vehicle I could get. I've been playing with full assistance because I'm frankly not that good at racing games. I do like the driving and Sims-esque non-driving stuff though.

@AshesKitty & TDU2 players:

I think "Hardcore" assistance mode might be WAY too loose of a setting for some players - making it way too easy to spin-out; and way to easy lose control.
"Sports" assistance mode seems to play more similar to say NFS series & Burnout series (at their default settings, if you change nothing on those games).
It's the setting I've been using for TDU2.

Hm. I may try switching to sport to see whether this is a better fit. One of the big frustrations I have with races is that it can be appallingly easy (for me) to make one screw-up that totally derails my chances of winning (overshoot a 90-degree turn, for example).

What! Why are you driving all SUVs? Are you a soccer mom, Ashes?

Actually the championships call for different kinds of vehicles. In the case of the B-class, you can only use "off-roaders" like the ones Asheskitty mentioned above.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#14628 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Aren't there some EA games on Steam, like Alice? Can someone check and see if the articles that pop up mention Origin at all, I'd be curious. I just find it amusing that steam would go after the community and not think to check that first.

Well I know certain EA games on Steam require you to login to an Origin account and at least for the Sims there are some bonus items if you register your game on Sims3.com (which is merged with the Origin accounts).

The whole thing is a bit silly because EA is obviously moving away from putting their titles on Steam and moving toward making people use Origin. The only EA games still on Steam are older titles which have been discounted cheaply multiple times now and aren't really hot sellers at this point outside of a cheap sale. I don't think they stand to lose much in that area.

As for non-EA games, I don't know anyone who actively seeks them out on Origin. The sales on non-EA games there are not great and Origin still has a ways to go to catch up with Steam feature-wise. Plus at this point most people have the bulk of their collections on Steam or elsewhere so I don't see a huge compelling reason to switch over to Origin for non-EA games.

steam_sig.png

#14629 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm enjoying Borderlands 2, but the enemy scaling is annoying. I just went to do a trivial quest to whip through quickly because the reward was good, but all of the enemies were right around my level. It was just as tough as doing a normal level quest. I think I'll just finish up the main quest and move on. There doesn't seem to be any point to leveling up if the enemies stay with you anyway.

fs_overall.png

#14630 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Even though Saturday was my wife's birthday, I was still able to squeeze in a few hours of Skyrim this weekend. I have to say, as a HUGE fan of Morrowind (and the Elder Scrolls, in general) I am absolutely loving the Dragonborn DLC. Can't wait to complete it and explore all of it's side quests.

My SO and I are also playing through Titan Quest. I never caught it when it came out, but I'm surprised at how well it holds up. I'd like to go on record as saying that it is better than recent entries into the genre. I think it's better than Diablo 3 by a mile, and even better than Torchlight 2.

Well, that was my Steam weekend. :)

#14631 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm enjoying Borderlands 2, but the enemy scaling is annoying. I just went to do a trivial quest to whip through quickly because the reward was good, but all of the enemies were right around my level. It was just as tough as doing a normal level quest. I think I'll just finish up the main quest and move on. There doesn't seem to be any point to leveling up if the enemies stay with you anyway.

Enemy level doesn't scale to yours on every map/quest/boss until playthrough 2.5. If it's labeled "trivial" on your log screen, something sounds screwy. For the first 2 playthroughs, you should be able to outlevel the quest and then come back to it, but the reward will stay at that level too.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#14632 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Enemies don't scale in Borderlands, except possibly slaughter dome missions. Right now I'm @ lvl 36 and my main quest mission is a 31 and I still have the Hammerlock DLC to play. I'll probably blow through the final mission with ease.

#14633 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't know. The quest say Level 13, trivial but I am level 19 and all the enemies are 18-20. There hasn't been a single one below 17. I was thinking maybe the area always has that level enemies, but even the quest-specific enemies have been 17 or 18. Just seems odd to me.

fs_overall.png

#14634 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

There are some areas that scale depending on your main story progress, that might be the issue. Most of the time they don't though.

#14635 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

My SO and I are also playing through Titan Quest. I think it's better than Diablo 3 by a mile, and even better than Torchlight 2.

Agree.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#14636 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Anybody else see their Raptr 2012 summary? I thought it was pretty cool. Says I earned 327 achievements last year, seems like a lot.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#14637 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

My SO and I are also playing through Titan Quest. I never caught it when it came out, but I'm surprised at how well it holds up. I'd like to go on record as saying that it is better than recent entries into the genre. I think it's better than Diablo 3 by a mile, and even better than Torchlight 2.

If you haven't heard of Path of Exile you should check it out. It's free 2 play and really well done.

#14638 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Anybody here own either Cities XL 2011 or Cities XL 2012? Supposedly owners of those games can get Cities XL Platinum for 85% off (which would be $4.50). If any of you own the earlier games, would you mind checking to see if it's possible to buy gift copies at the reduced rate?

#14639 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Anybody else see their Raptr 2012 summary? I thought it was pretty cool. Says I earned 327 achievements last year, seems like a lot.

Thanks for mentioning this, otherwise I wouldn't have looked. Yeah, this is a cool feature. Tells which games you played the most and what your rarest achievement is and everything. And yeah...I earned 1,791 achievements, which is like 5 a day. /foreveralone.jpg
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#14640 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

If you haven't heard of Path of Exile you should check it out. It's free 2 play and really well done.

Sweet, I'll have to check this out. Though, probably won't be until we finish Titan Quest and it's expansion.

Anybody here own either Cities XL 2011 or Cities XL 2012? Supposedly owners of those games can get Cities XL Platinum for 85% off (which would be $4.50). If any of you own the earlier games, would you mind checking to see if it's possible to buy gift copies at the reduced rate?

Also wondering this. I see that Cities XL 2011 is currently $19.99 and owning it will entitle you to upgrade to Cities XL Platinum for $4.50, making the total purchase about $25 rather than the $30 they're charging for Platinum alone.