Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14761 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

System Shock 2 is finally getting a digital release on GOG. Interviews with the guy that secured the rights imply a Steam release eventually as well.

score!
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#14762 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

It'll be on GOG in about 19 hours. I'm guessing GOG has temporary exclusivity for it, so we probably won't see it on Steam in the immediate future.

#14763 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Everyday Genius is probably my favorite casual game on Steam. Great game. Shame they took it off the store.

#14764 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

This has to be one of my favorite Steam trading thread posts so far: http://www.cheapassg...postcount=16563

The Steam trading thread is pretty garbage in general, though. Many people post their lists two to three times a day, asking $5 for games they got for $1 or less and wanting to buy your games for less than half of what you paid. It's unregulated for the most part, and it's overflowing with n00bs.

#14765 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

The Steam trading thread is pretty garbage in general, though. Many people post their lists two to three times a day, asking $5 for games they got for $1 or less and wanting to buy your games for less than half of what you paid. It's unregulated for the most part, and it's overflowing with n00bs.

Well, yeah, of course it's heavy on new users. Those of us that have been around awhile have the games already. I know I spent more time on that thread looking for things when I first started hanging out here.

And it's not like you can regulate the prices people can offer to buy and sell at. Yeah, there are a few with some major disconnects between those two categories. From experience trading elsewhere, that's not unique to CAG.

#14766 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Giana Sisters - $5 today only on GOG. It's an excellent platformer with an awesome soundtrack. These devs have have been producing platformers since the 80s. It hit $5.09 on a flash in the Steam Winter sale (and $6 on GMG).

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14767 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Giana Sisters - $5 today only on GOG. It's an excellent platformer with an awesome soundtrack. These devs have have been producing platformers since the 80s. It hit $5.09 on a flash in the Steam Winter sale (and $6 on GMG).

It's $5.09 on today's daily deal on Steam!

#14768 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's also the steam daily deal at 66% off or $5.09.

#14769 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Trine:
N9QVJ-5H660-CJ6BZ

#14770 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Pre-order Brutal Legend now at 25% off ($14.99)

You get access to the multiplayer beta right now as well as some TF2 items.

#14771 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

It's also the steam daily deal at 66% off or $5.09.

Posted Image

#14772 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Giana is awesome and totally worth getting and playing now vs waiting around to see if it ends up in a bundle at some point.

It's basically an old style platformer along the lines of Mario but updated with top notch 2.5D visuals and an excellent soundtrack.

If you like platformers at all I can't recommend it highly enough.

steam_sig.png

#14773 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I already have like a million platformers and am sure to add a few more this week with Indie Royale and Groupees launching. Add the inevitable Humble Bundle inclusion and I think I'll pass on Giana Sisters. This firesale on all sites makes me suspicious too.

#14774 bill22

bill22

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Trine:
N9QVJ-5H660-CJ6BZ

Thanks! I've been meaning to try that.

And here is:

Majesty 2

8025N-P5XEJ-GPAFC

if there is anyone around that does't already have it.

#14775 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Ugh. I preordered Simcity. Origin...always online drm...I feel so dirty.

#14776 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I also really enjoyed Giana Sisters, at first.

My only complaint was that the difficulty really ratcheted up quickly. The first few levels, I was like "Oh man, this is awesome - game of the year!". Then after about level 5-6 I had to stop playing because all I did was die over and over and over and over and over again. While there isn't a "death penalty" per se, it does track how many times you've died and displays this at the end of the level. The real penalty is time. You finally get past a tricky jump / timing area, only to die on the next one and have to do the first one again.

I really enjoyed the music and visuals. However, I gave up after the first few levels because I would start the game up, play for a half hour, and not finish a single level by the time I had to turn it off.

Also - I'm getting old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. So take this review with a grain of salt.

#14777 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Ugh. I preordered Simcity anything. ...I feel so dirty.

As you should.

Barring a public beta or demo before release, never again shall I preorder.

#14778 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

That's not so current. Posters are pushed to posting a max of once per day. There are lots of n00bs but I've got some great deals there and lots of deals at cost or almost at cost. You'll always have people abusing the system but if you search the thread you can usually find some less greedy people.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#14779 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

As you should.

Barring a public beta or demo before release, never again shall I preorder.

It's not like it's going to go on sale anytime soon. $20 gift card is probably the best deal on that for a while.

Of course, to the 2nd part of your statement, it could be garbage and not worth the disc it's printed on. Everything I've seen or read allows me to be confident enough in it though. $40 isn't the worst mistake I've made.

#14780 BMXJouster

BMXJouster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Pre-order Brutal Legend now at 25% off ($14.99)

You get access to the multiplayer beta right now as well as some TF2 items.

I was just about to make a post about this.

Apparently that registry leak is looking even more legit now. I'm shocked to finally see this making it to PC, but I'm glad to see that it's being enhanced and it's coming at a discounted price point ($20 normally, $15 if you pre-order now). I just wish they'd say if the soundtrack version contains original music from the game or the licensed music. Cause that'd be a hell of a deal if it was the licensed music.

#14781 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Apparently that registry leak is looking even more legit now. I'm shocked to finally see this making it to PC, but I'm glad to see that it's being enhanced and it's coming at a discounted price point ($20 normally, $15 if you pre-order now). I just wish they'd say if the soundtrack version contains original music from the game or the licensed music. Cause that'd be a hell of a deal if it was the licensed music.

How can it look even more legit.. if it is legit? I don't see how it could get any more legit than being available to preorder on the store.

#14782 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Not sure why you'd want the licensed music, since you can get that anywhere.
Posted Image

#14783 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

My only complaint was that the difficulty really ratcheted up quickly. The first few levels, I was like "Oh man, this is awesome - game of the year!". Then after about level 5-6 I had to stop playing because all I did was die over and over and over and over and over again. While there isn't a "death penalty" per se, it does track how many times you've died and displays this at the end of the level. The real penalty is time. You finally get past a tricky jump / timing area, only to die on the next one and have to do the first one again.

I really enjoyed the music and visuals. However, I gave up after the first few levels because I would start the game up, play for a half hour, and not finish a single level by the time I had to turn it off.

Also - I'm getting old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. So take this review with a grain of salt.

I'm also getting old and apparently suck at game genres that I didn't used to suck at. I admit I do die a lot in Giana but like you said there's no real penalty other than time because you just keep starting back at the last checkpoint which are fairly frequent.

I have resorted to watching let's plays to find solutions a few times so there's that. :-P

I guess it could use a 'Go easy on me because my skills ain't what they used to be' mode. :lol:

Ugh. I preordered Simcity. Origin...always online drm...I feel so dirty.

I tried it a couple of weeks ago when they had a private beta. It was okay but not enough to make me pay $60-$80 and deal with Origin exclusive AND forced always online DRM for a game that doesn't need it. The $20 credit isn't really enough to sway me either.

There has been a lot of feedback about that forced always online nonsense and it's been universally negative but they refuse to listen so I feel like the only way I can get that message across is to not buy it.

I did ultimately buy Diablo III when I was able to get it for $10 so it will probably be a similar situation here where if I can get it very cheap I'll go for it, otherwise I'll pass.

It's not like I don't have Tropico 4 and now Cities XL Platnium too. Plus there's always Sim City 4.

steam_sig.png

#14784 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

To be honest, I was worried it was going to be too easy at first, but they found novel ways to use the girls' powers in interesting ways to keep the game fresh.

As you say, the checkpoint system is rather liberal, so it doesn't get to Megaman levels of annoying difficulty, but there are some parts that are pretty annoying to get past. I still think it is one of the best platformers of recent years and everyone should get it.
Posted Image

#14785 BMXJouster

BMXJouster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

How can it look even more legit.. if it is legit? I don't see how it could get any more legit than being available to preorder on the store.

I meant that the registry leak is looking more legit for the other games that were on there, like King of Fighters 98/2002/XIII and Halo 1-3. Some of those were never released on PC like Brutal Legend, but since Brutal Legend is now actually on the store that means those other games might show up as well.

#14786 pantsattack

pantsattack

this computer is a time machine, but it only goes forward

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

It was a leak that included HALOs, Dyad (since confirmed by the dev), King of Fighters, and other crazy longshots in addition to Brutal Legend. So with each game that is confirmed, the unconfirmed games seem more likely.

Edit: Ditto!

Edit 2: The registry also included Quantum Conundrum 2! And also FEZ!!!

#14787 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I meant that the registry leak is looking more legit for the other games that were on there, like King of Fighters 98/2002/XIII and Halo 1-3. Some of those were never released on PC like Brutal Legend, but since Brutal Legend is now actually on the store that means those other games might show up as well.

Ah, that does make sense. I'd like to see King of Fighters on Steam.

#14788 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Does Steam routinely add random games to the registry without actually adding them to the store?

#14789 pantsattack

pantsattack

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

No, it's just the original music. The game does have all the in-game music, but not for DL.

#14790 pantsattack

pantsattack

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Does Steam routinely add random games to the registry without actually adding them to the store?

Well 'Splosion Man and some Final Fantasy games showed up long ago, but never were for sale. The registry has been pretty accurate in general.