Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#14791 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'd say there's zero chance the Soundtrack contains the licensed music. Okay, maybe not zero but it would surprise the hell out of me.

#14792 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'd say there's zero chance the Soundtrack contains the licensed music. Okay, maybe not zero but it would surprise the hell out of me.

The game contains all the songs, but the downloadable soundtrack is Peter McConnel's original soundtrack composed for the game. (Would have been impossible to license all the songs for download.)

No licensed music.

Not to be a Debby Downer, PC improvements:

More PC details.

The current version has the following:
• Much higher quality anti-aliasing (FXAA and SSAA). Users will be able to select these through the UI in a soon to come update.
• Support for resolutions > 720p (whatever your monitor/GPU will support).
• SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) which makes for better contact shadows and more solid looking objects.
• Major improvements to latency/lag in multiplayer, especially in large games or games where some players have very bad pings.

Updates over the next week or so will add:
• Uncapped (i.e. as fast as your GPU can handle) framerate.
• Support for high-fidelity (i.e. 60Hz) simulation in single player.
• Higher quality shadows.
• Increased draw distance (which users can tune to be larger or smaller if need be).

#14793 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I meant that the registry leak is looking more legit for the other games that were on there, like King of Fighters 98/2002/XIII and Halo 1-3. Some of those were never released on PC like Brutal Legend, but since Brutal Legend is now actually on the store that means those other games might show up as well.

If KoF 98UM, 2002UM, and XIII all come out on PC (let alone Steam) I think I can die the happiest fighting game nerd out there.
(Although I suppose GGXX^Core+R and Chrono Phantasma being available on PC at launch would be nice too, although even less likely at this rate.)

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#14794 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I've only played through the first world of Giana (through 1-6 IIRC, the first boss, the worm thing). I was dying a fair bit but the checkpoints are generally tightly spaced so you aren't wasting time repeating content you already mastered (at least once). The first boss was a bit of learning, and you had to do things mostly right. My impression so far is the difficulty is just right. Also, take some time to stare some the really detailed backdrops.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#14795 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Motoki, you were quite down on the Fable III DLC, is any of it worthwhile?

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#14796 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Brutal Legend isn't really proof of the more outlandish registry stuff. It was reported around the same time when gaming sites all found the 20 or so games but it actually showed up earlier. The hidden ones were all just that, hidden. They were only found because Steam created community hubs for them. They were actually still called Test Apps in the actual registry, people just looked up the app number and found the hubs. Brutal Legend had a named registry entry.

Edited by Corpekata, 13 February 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#14797 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

anyone know when Brutal legend is comin out?
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14798 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Oh I just liked poking fun at the dog suit DLC and the fact that everyone was going nuts wanting it just because they had to catch em all
Spoiler

I haven't actually played it. I know surprising, right? But I have heard from some of those who have played the various DLC that Traitor's Keep is good (*Edit: or not. See louiedog's comment below) but the rest are not so great and/or not so useful and easily skipable.

Edited by Motoki, 13 February 2013 - 10:29 PM.

steam_sig.png

#14799 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I played it all on the 360. I accidentally redeemed a code for Traitor's Keep that I was going to give away. I found it really dull and repetitive. It felt like they created a 60 minute piece of content and then padded it out.

Of course that may just be me. The reason I accidentally redeemed it and didn't plan to use it myself is that after playing Fable 3 I was absolutely done with that game and wanted no more.

#14800 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

So how long after joining steamgifts did you all start winning games? It seems that people in this thread are constantly winning stuff. You're all extremely lucky given that the number of people that enter into a single giveaway is in the thousands. Unless you're super diligent and sit and F5 the main page and enter into the hour long giveaways. Then you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning as opposed to a 1 in 2500.

#14801 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

The 26th.

#14802 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

So how long after joining steamgifts did you all start winning games? It seems that people in this thread are constantly winning stuff. You're all extremely lucky given that the number of people that enter into a single giveaway is in the thousands. Unless you're super diligent and sit and F5 the main page and enter into the hour long giveaways. Then you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning as opposed to a 1 in 2500.

Part of it has to do with which giveaways you enter. Group and private giveaways will yield better odds by their very nature. I feel your pain though, I've entered over 4,300 giveaways and I've won 10 giveaways: 3 group giveaways and 7 public giveaways. Two of those ten wins were developer (everyone wins) giveaways.

#14803 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think most people who win a lot are in groups that do a lot of group giveaways. It's really a random luck of the draw in the main giveaways. I used to be more diligent in spending up my points every day and entering, but I would go months with no wins outside of group wins. Even now, I think I average a non-group win every 3-6 months.

#14804 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Part of it has to do with which giveaways you enter. Group and private giveaways will yield better odds by their very nature. I feel your pain though, I've entered over 4,300 giveaways and I've won 10 giveaways: 3 group giveaways, 7 public giveaways; and 2 of those being developer (everyone wins) giveaways.

Yeah, I've won a few group giveaways. I don't even bother with public giveaways. If you join the right groups, you've got a decent chance of winning.

#14805 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Just wanted to chime in real quick on Giana... this game started off incredibly strong for me. I was blown away by the visuals, the music, and the interesting gameplay mechanics. As I went through the game, I became more and more impressed by the myriad of different mechanics they continued to introduce, sometimes in outright fiendish ways if you desired all of the stars and secrets. Unfortunately, the visuals and music started to wear thin by the second world, and by the third world they really started to grate on my nerves. I'm still playing it casually (I have 2 or 3 worlds left) so I can beat the game, and I really do love the gameplay, but I was a bit disappointed that the initial sense of wonder I experienced could not be sustained.

Overall though, I really did like the game quite a bit. It's challenging but it never felt unfair (a similar sentiment many people place on games like Super Meat Boy and Hotline: Miami, though Giana Sisters is a fair bit easier than those games, at least for me). I think it's definitely worth it at this current price, especially if you love platformers like me and yet are really bored out of your mind by the snooze-worthy gameplay of the recent 2D Mario games. Although Rayman Origins is still my favorite platformer of this decade by far, Giana Sisters probably comes closer than any other game to that top throne!
Posted Image

#14806 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I remember wanting that game to be so badass. Then it came out and I got it for my PS3 along with Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum at Toys R Us as part of the buy 3 for the price of 2 sales.

I remember looking forward to that. I couldn't wait. And it was great. I was having a jolly time playing a decent adventure title and then, WHAM!

It was a horrible RTS using a console controller. And that Tim Schaefer guy at Double Fine was making doctoral theses about the PROPER way in which to play the game to explain how easy and awesome BL is. And I remember shaking my head and taking the disc out. Sticking the disc into the case. Sealing it away forever... until I sold the game to Gamestop a day later.

So I suppose its modern day equivalent is Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Those were swell times. And even as I sold it I thought, "If this was on PC, it might actually be good if they gave it PC-like RTS controls, but they were adamant it would never come to PC."

Yet here it is. Hm. I can't wait for a Steam sale on it. Preferably 75% off to make up for all that money I lost buying it on PS3 the first time.

#14807 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Oh I just liked poking fun at the dog suit DLC and the fact that everyone was going nuts wanting it just because they had to catch em all

Spoiler

I haven't actually played it. I know surprising, right? But I have heard from some of those who have played the various DLC that Traitor's Keep is good (*Edit: or not. See louiedog's comment below) but the rest are not so great and/or not so useful and easily skipable.

^_^ Ah thanks! (At one point in Jan, I got Fable III and Risen II mixed up.) Yeah, reviews were looking that way, oh boy, dog suit, knight suit, dog skins. Understone was slammed by IGN (and like 22 min long). GameSpot and IGN both were more favarable to Traitor's Keep, but it seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag and skippable. I also know I'm being cranky since the DLC grab bag is $4.70 while I only paid $5 for Fable III+TLC.

I played it all on the 360. I accidentally redeemed a code for Traitor's Keep that I was going to give away. I found it really dull and repetitive. It felt like they created a 60 minute piece of content and then padded it out.

Of course that may just be me. The reason I accidentally redeemed it and didn't plan to use it myself is that after playing Fable 3 I was absolutely done with that game and wanted no more.

Thanks for that! I think I'm just going to skip all the DLC for now, if I want more after playing it, I'll reconsider.

#14808 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

New IndieGala bundle is live

http://www.indiegala.com/

#14809 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

only thing i even want is demigod.....

#14810 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Wow, what a weak bundle. It's a bunch of unwanted rehashes from previous bundles.

#14811 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

only thing i even want is demigod.....

Yeah, this is a weak gala bundle. I own all the Steam games from other bundles (besides Demigod which I got in a 4pack)

#14812 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Disappointing, over half the bundle is repeats. Demigod and Talisman Prologue seem to stand out though.

#14813 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Will probably get it just for Talisman Prologue and hope they're nice enough to Steam key me if it gets Greenlit.

#14814 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Part of it has to do with which giveaways you enter. Group and private giveaways will yield better odds by their very nature. I feel your pain though, I've entered over 4,300 giveaways and I've won 10 giveaways: 3 group giveaways and 7 public giveaways. Two of those ten wins were developer (everyone wins) giveaways.

I think most people who win a lot are in groups that do a lot of group giveaways. It's really a random luck of the draw in the main giveaways. I used to be more diligent in spending up my points every day and entering, but I would go months with no wins outside of group wins. Even now, I think I average a non-group win every 3-6 months.

Yeah, I've won a few group giveaways. I don't even bother with public giveaways. If you join the right groups, you've got a decent chance of winning.

Ah, ok. Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to try and finaggle myself into some groups then. Could I possibly/maybe/if you want to get an invite to BGCQ? My feelings won't be hurt if I'm rejected.

#14815 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

If IG didn't have Demigod, I'd be passing till I saw the bonuses. Demigod is one of those games I've looked at several times, but never threw dead presidents at.

#14816 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

lame IG. Probably will buy in and see how they handle HH this time, but won't be taking any reserves just in case no HH saves me the trouble.

#14817 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Finally beat dark souls and the DLC. if this game is sitting in your backlog I definitely suggest you give it a whirl. Probably my favorite game of the current gen and in my top 3 of all time. Just a brilliant game with unbelievable variety and enemy design. I think I'm gonna take a hiatus from gaming for a while because it just took so much out of me.

Hand__Of__God.png

#14818 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

[...]the bonuses[...]

Speaking of bonuses. I've just noticed that 2 of 3 unlockables are music albums. Even more failure.

#14819 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Speaking of bonuses. I've just noticed that 2 of 3 unlockables are music albums. Even more failure.

/facepalm. HH or bust. I'm not paying $5.50 just for Demigod. #-o

#14820 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Even a HH group buy doesn't make this bundle good, for me at least. I have everything except for 7.62mm (drm-free), Talisman Prologue (no interest), and Demigod.. which has been less than $2 in a 4 pack on Steam..

The new Indie Gala is just a copy of the Humble Introversion bundle, with a few added games.