Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#15031 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

the term "activates on" is another way of saying DRM. i know i know. but it feels SO good. gotta hand it to gog for the TOTALLY drm free stuff. I love taking my files and installing them here, there, everywhere. laptop desktop. etc. its great. counterpoint, i suppose you can do this with steam if you have an internet connection.

Hate > Knowledge

Desura isn't DRM.

Posted Image

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#15032 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hate > Knowledge

Desura isn't DRM.

He'd probably have a heart attack if he realized you could 'activate' a few games on gog too. >.>
Looking for a friendly little gaming community? You should check out BiosHub! We play a little bit of everything, from Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide 2 to Guild Wars 2 and AI Wars. - http://bioshub.com/

#15033 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

He'd probably have a heart attack if he realized you could 'activate' a few games on gog too. >.>

^_^ I was thinking of saying that (and some other stuff), but it really felt like a case of:

Less > More

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#15034 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Not really Steam related but I'm gonna ask you nice people anway...

Do Bioware points EVER go on sale? I'd really like to pick up some Mass Effect 3 DLC but From Ashes and Leviathan together would be $15 and that is more than I paid for the base game.

Google search led me to believe that Bioware points sometimes go on sale but they seem pretty rare. Any idea how I'd find out when it happens? Would it get exposure on CAG?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#15035 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not really Steam related but I'm gonna ask you nice people anway...

Do Bioware points EVER go on sale? I'd really like to pick up some Mass Effect 3 DLC but From Ashes and Leviathan together would be $15 and that is more than I paid for the base game.

Google search led me to believe that Bioware points sometimes go on sale but they seem pretty rare. Any idea how I'd find out when it happens? Would it get exposure on CAG?

You're going to be waiting a while. Since the Bioware points deal on Origin back in late 2011 (IIRC) they haven't been on sale. It's extremely irritating.

However, if Hell freezes over and Bioware points DO go on sale, you'll definitely hear about it here.

#15036 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

lol. gog added 1920*1200 to System Shock 2. absolute madness. so very impressive. gog needs to be supported in every way feasible. the company is just dynamite. i'll by 2 copies of system shock and 2 more of cyberpunk. KEEP! it up.

That is...pretty darn cool. 8-)8-)8-)

#15037 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Weird, today's steam updates are making Steam forget. It thinks I don't have Giana installed (played it last night, files are still there), and a 60+ other games. I said fine install Giana, and it said woah, trippy, there are files here, so it light up another and took it's damn time to cheak all my Giana files it forgot about. I hope I don't have to do this for the other 60_ games...

Kind of related to your post but I reinstalled windows on a ssd and my games are still on my old hard drive. Steam recognizes 60% of the games when I add the location to my library but all of files for all of my games are there. If I use steam mover then it works but if I move it back to the secondary drive, steam doesn't realize that the files are there. :shrug:

#15038 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

lol. gog added 1920*1200 to System Shock 2. absolute madness. so very impressive. gog needs to be supported in every way feasible. the company is just dynamite. i'll by 2 copies of system shock and 2 more of cyberpunk. KEEP! it up.

Though its not Steam-related, I have to agree that it's great to have an accessible version of System Shock 2 available. The game went for horribly high prices not too long ago, and it didn't even work properly on modern OS's. (Many Windows 95/98 games come to mind.) So, indeed, GOG deserves their kudos.

Between Brutal Legend reaching the PC and System Shock 2 finally getting proper support, it's a good time to be a computer game enthusiast.

#15039 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

If your res' isn't listed, you could just open cam.cfg file (in your System Shock 2 folder) and just literally change the resolution to what you wanted.

See here:
http://www.gog.com/f...on_patch/post10

Just open cam.cfg in your editor of choice and change the resolution under the game_screen_size variable as such:
game_screen_size 1920 1200

#15040 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

System Shock 2 is one of the few games that will be added as a non-steam product on my Steam account.

fs_overall.png

#15041 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

System Shock 2 is one of the few games that will be added as a non-steam product on my Steam account.

I can be so lazy sometimes, hehe.

For some reason, since I reinstalled it (that was back when Patch 2.24 first came out), I didn't add it as a Non-Steam game.

I added it this morning as Non-Steam game.

#15042 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

In full disclosure, it wasn't GOG (Tho they helped), but Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios who made it happen.

BTW, is there any advantage of attaching a non-Steam game to Steam? The only thing I saw the one time I tried was that you get the overlay. I was hoping it would keep record of play time, but it didn't.
Posted Image

#15043 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's hit or miss if a non-Steam game will work with the overlay. Hell, not even all Steam games work with it.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#15044 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

In full disclosure, it wasn't GOG (Tho they helped), but Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios who made it happen.

BTW, is there any advantage of attaching a non-Steam game to Steam? The only thing I saw the one time I tried was that you get the overlay. I was hoping it would keep record of play time, but it didn't.

Was 1900x1200 officially added via Patch 2.4?

About adding a Non-Steam game while on Steam - you can do screenshot-taking on Steam (and add those pics); and Steam-Friends can see what game you're playing (in case you all want to match-make a game; or they want to buy what you're playing; etc).

With Non-Steam games added on Steam - you do NOT get Steam time-tracking; automatic Steam updates; Steam-Cloud support; and all of that Steamworks-related stuff.

#15045 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I've played all the SS2 I need to for a lifetime but it's nice to see it get support for the future. I may get it again when it comes out on Steam. It's a classic.

Also, it's a surprisingly easy game. I always thought Bioshock was harder.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#15046 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

The main advantage of setting it up as a shortcut is the overlay. That way you can talk to people without alt tabbing. It's also nice to sort it through Steam if you don't like cluttering your desktop or start menu with thousands of shortcuts.

#15047 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

the term "activates on" is another way of saying DRM. i know i know. but it feels SO good. gotta hand it to gog for the TOTALLY drm free stuff. I love taking my files and installing them here, there, everywhere. laptop desktop. etc. its great. counterpoint, i suppose you can do this with steam if you have an internet connection.

Hate > Knowledge

Desura isn't DRM.

Posted Image

So... It doesn't activate on Desura, then?

#15048 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

UHG! F*** I'M SORRY!
You are RIGHT DESURA isn't DRM.
Pity me much. You should I regularly do.

#15049 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

UHG! F*** I'M SORRY!
You are RIGHT DESURA isn't DRM.
Pity me much. You should I regularly do.

Cleansing ritual time...

Sakuya - Strip the flesh, salt the wounds

#15050 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

If they could only get the rights to some of the old Star Trek games..... Elite Force,....Armada, ...Bridge Commander

#15051 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

You're going to be waiting a while. Since the Bioware points deal on Origin back in late 2011 (IIRC) they haven't been on sale. It's extremely irritating.

However, if Hell freezes over and Bioware points DO go on sale, you'll definitely hear about it here.

I just don't want to miss it if it happens lol

Really tempted to just go ahead and pick it up but the CAG in me finds these prices insulting.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#15052 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm trying to remember who... Geno?

SomeCAG missed the IGS Crazy Machines Bundle since it disappeared before the timer was up last time.

Thanks Seamoss.

This is a surprise: Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition added to the BTA level in the current IndieGala bundle.

Also a bunch of new & old GalaStore bundles, starting at $0.99:

http://store.indiega...kin-bundle.html
http://store.indiega...nes-bundle.html
http://store.indiega...ego-bundle.html
http://store.indiega...rgo-bundle.html

#15053 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Good eye! Now to see if someone bought the IG to save me a buck.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#15054 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sine Mora for $3.39. This should be pennies/bundle fodder by now.

I think the reviewers failed horribly on this one, giving it positive reviews. It's all flash and botches so many of the little things that make the genre good that I can't recommend it but for pennies/bundle fodder you could do a LOT worse. Within the shump genre, you could do a lot better though.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#15055 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Raptr is the way to go if you want to track playing time. Gives you a summary (though not as accurate as Steam sometimes) and then ranks you based on the entire community and your friends.

#15056 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

SomeCAG missed the IGS Crazy Machines Bundle since it disappeared before the timer was up last time.

IGS is reserved for IndieGameStand! :headache:

Might I suggest IGPoSS? ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#15057 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I think the reviewers failed horribly on this one, giving it positive reviews. It's all flash and botches so many of the little things that make the genre good that I can't recommend it but for pennies/bundle fodder you could do a LOT worse. Within the shump genre, you could do a lot better though.

I'm glad I held off then - I wasn't sold on the game, despite plenty of talk about it when it was first released. It sounds like I made the right call.

#15058 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Also remember to take into account who posted that.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#15059 mujahid9

mujahid9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Besides the CAVE games on ios/360, what STG's are you talking about? If you're just playing the role of curmudgeon, that's cool, but if you have some suggestions for pc I would love to hear them [no fan-made stuff or Jamestown suggestions please].
fate marches with us!!!

#15060 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

And yet everyone is missing the most salient point. Sine Mora (steam key) was $2 on GMG not long ago.