Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#15061 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Contrarian viewpoint:

I really liked Sine Mora. It was beautiful, offered sufficient challenge and was well worth the £2 or so that I spent on it.

I also suck at shmups which is maybe why I liked it so much. If somebody can find my Steam review they're welcome to C&P it here (I'm on mobile and can't see it).

#15062 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Besides the CAVE games on ios/360, what STG's are you talking about? If you're just playing the role of curmudgeon, that's cool, but if you have some suggestions for pc I would love to hear them [no fan-made stuff or Jamestown suggestions please].

Do you realize that, quite literally, every modern shump on PC that is not MAME emulated is either fanmade, Sine Mora, or Jamestown? It isn't like Touhou, Ether Vapor, Exceed, Blue Wish, and the Gundemonium games aren't doujin works. Hydorah too. That's like telling me to give you a list of hack and slash action games but then telling me "No fan works or Devil May Cry games please."

If you at ALL like shumps in any meaningful way then you have an Xbox 360 or at least access to one, or you have MAME and are emulating a whole suite of them. If you don't, you still won't like SM because it's gimmicky, slow-paced, poorly balanced crap.

"Just being a curmudgeon" is a good line though. I'll have to save it for the next time people go into a reflexive Call of Duty hatred refrain.

Contrarian viewpoint:

I really liked Sine Mora. It was beautiful, offered sufficient challenge and was well worth the £2 or so that I spent on it.

I also suck at shmups which is maybe why I liked it so much. If somebody can find my Steam review they're welcome to C&P it here (I'm on mobile and can't see it).

I'LL DEAL WITH YOU LATER FLOWETTE.

Granted, if their art guys got behind a shump that had some better design to it, I'd be a much bigger fan.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#15063 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

IGS is reserved for IndieGameStand! :headache:

Might I suggest IGPoSS? ;)

I can get behind that!
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#15064 Mighty Tor

Mighty Tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'll actually throw some support behind RS on this one. Sine Mora is a very pretty well produced game. It can be a somewhat fun and suitably bizarre Grasshopper design experience. What it is not however is a good Shmup. I think it's fully worth the $3.39 it's being sold for, but I also spent $120 on the Pink Sweets/Much Muchi Pork import for the 360 so I may be slightly more forgiving than some for games in the genre.

The problem as I see it first and foremost is random power ups. You can play it as well as it can be played and you can just get hosed by bad drops. "Bad drops" is not something that should ever be in the same world as a proper shmup. The time mechanic is an interesting one, but in part due to the randomized power ups it's not particularly well balanced. These games are high score challenges in their purest form and Sine Mora just doesn't work as one.

This being said it's not a "bad" game, for the average casual shmup fan it's pretty, flahsy, decently challenging and suitably "Japanese" in it's kookiness. Most people don't have the time or desire to build up to a perfect stage run in a Cave/Raizing/Touhou shooter. They don't want to analyze the scoring system to figure just when bombing is acceptable for scoring vs. simply surviving or when you should suicide to reduce your rank. With that mindset Sine Mora is perfectly acceptable and can even be considered a "good" game.

Then again as far as Steam games go, I think Jamestown is horribly overrated for what it is so again, putting that out there for opinion context.

#15065 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

It's around now that I should be wheeling out the "it's a good shmup for fans of not-shmups" but I've been to Hogwarts today and I'm knackered.

Other ace games in genres-I'm-not-a-fan-of: Defender's Quest.

#15066 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

It's around now that I should be wheeling out the "it's a good shmup for fans of not-shmups" but I've been to Hogwarts today and I'm knackered.

What is Hogwarts?

#15067 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

What is Hogwarts?

An academy for witches and wizards.

#15068 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

What is Hogwarts?

It's a STD

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#15069 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

It's a STD

that half of America's children have had at some point over the last 10 years.

#15070 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

I quite enjoyed the demo for Defender's Quest myself, but I'm waiting for the inevitable 75% off sale or bundle inclusion.
Posted Image

#15071 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I quite enjoyed the demo for Defender's Quest myself, but I'm waiting for the inevitable 75% off sale or bundle inclusion.

Do you think if an indie game that was universally praised stated publicly that they would never be included in a future indie bundle, that would cause higher sales?

Keep in mind, for this hypothetical I'm talking about FTL levels of praise.

#15072 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Do you think if an indie game that was universally praised stated publicly that they would never be included in a future indie bundle, that would cause higher sales?

Possibly. But I'm not sure if people would believe it. I can recall at least one instance where a dev (the guys behind Cubeman) swore up & down that their game would never be in a bundle. Six weeks later it showed up in an Indie Royale.

Though I think it's safe to assume that Defenders Quest will show up in a bundle sooner or later. In fact, I'd call it a lock. The devs have already stated on their website that they were actively trying to get in an Humble or Indie Royale bundle.

#15073 juanjava

juanjava

Eye in the sky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

I'm looking at the Gala Sacred bundle. Is Sacred Gold good? I hear a lot about Sacred 2, but almost nothing on Sacred 1

#15074 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Indie games have been irreparably devalued due to indie bundles. It's just a fact now and unless bundles are stopped completely it's not going to change. Their best bet is so much critical praise they can sell tons of copies before the eventual bundle.

#15075 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Indie games have been irreparably devalued due to indie bundles. It's just a fact now and unless bundles are stopped completely it's not going to change. Their best bet is so much critical praise they can sell tons of copies before the eventual bundle.

I agree for the most part, but games like Baston and Hotline Miami have sold like hotcakes....

#15076 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Shift codes:

14 Feb, Clap Traps Love Machine (not the Loverpalooza shotgun code), still active:
WTC3B-Z5ZWC-HW6JT-JJJBJ-9FWXR

Today:
W3CJJ-BZR5C-ZK6T3-TT3TT-JS6T3

Yes, Sacred Gold is certainly worth the buck. Sacred 2 Gold was getting a lot of Buzz in thread since it just made it onto steam in December (and the expansion was never available in the US, some of us owned the UK version).

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#15077 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

Their best bet is so much critical praise they can sell tons of copies before the eventual bundle.

Hotline Miami and FTL are two shining examples of this. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#15078 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

It might, I know if I were an indie dev, that's exactly what I would do. If I had 100% guarantee that indie games I have a lot of interest in won't ever be bundled, I'd definitely buy them. It's all down to how much we can trust the devs.

#15079 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

For the amateur devs certainly. There is however a space in the market for old-hand devs, like Torchlight ][, and Giana Sisters. (I contend TL1's inclusion in that HB right before the TL2 release was well done marketing. I'd also note that TL1 had hit $5 on quite a few sales before that.)

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#15080 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

I think the CAGs and deal watchers don't really add up to as many people as sometimes we think. I mean, it seems like every other week there's some insane deal on Amazon yet Steam'll put it on a weekend deal and it'll still hit the top sellers despite the fact it was about 1/4 of the price.

I mean, Ace of Spades is pretty big bundle fodder material with an absolutely PUTRID word of mouth and is in the top sellers right now.

Edit: Well, it was, but it's dropped. But even still, a game like Impire, from a company like Paradox that most deal watchers know gets crazy with the sales is the third best seller right now.

#15081 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

I think the CAGs and deal watchers don't really add up to as many people as sometimes we think. I mean, it seems like every other week there's some insane deal on Amazon yet Steam'll put it on a weekend deal and it'll still hit the top sellers despite the fact it was about 1/4 of the price.

I mean, Ace of Spades is pretty big bundle fodder material with an absolutely PUTRID word of mouth and is in the top 10 sellers right now.

But I think that the crossover between people who pay attention to new indie releases and people who are in the know on bundles/deals is quite high.

#15082 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Amazon isn't really a good example for this though. Their deals are poorly advertised and unless you frequent a forum or community with Tony as a member then you might miss out on a lot of their deals.

In the digital world I think Humble Bundle definitely has a higher profile than Amazon even and even if you just consider HiB, I think the crossover is pretty big there.

Some devs can get past the indie bundle devaluation, but even with games like Giana Sisters there's a ton of people waiting for it to be bundled.

I don't think indie games are worthless and I think even the cheapest ass gamer would happily play full price if it's a great game they enjoy, but for those without a strong interest in a game, it's more of a wait and see approach even when it's on sale.

#15083 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Which is odd because I thought FTL was mediocre.

In a sane world, no. Indie games should be bundled and given away with real games like peanuts at a restaurant.

Actually, I'll buy an indie game on release that tickles my fancy. HM was THAT good. Exceed too. Magical Diary I bought too.

#15084 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

the vast majority of indie games are not worth having to skim past in your steam library imo

there are exceptions (cave story, amnesia, etc) but i lost faith in the indie scene a long time. too much faux retro aesthetics and chip tunes to cover up tired game mechanics and lazy design.

i will try FTL if it ever gets bundled though.

Hand__Of__God.png

#15085 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Dungeon Defenders has switched on the free eternian festival of love (valentine's day) dlc if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Guardian_owl.png

#15086 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

AirBuccaneers is going to be included in the current Groupees bundle if it hits 15,000 buyers and it has 10 days to go.
Posted Image

#15087 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

AirBuccaneers is going to be included in the current Groupees bundle if it hits 15,000 buyers and it has 10 days to go.

good
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#15088 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

good

Not good for your $12 price. ;)
Posted Image

#15089 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

http://www.gamersgat...Y/dirty-dancing

Did I just find a new Motoki game?
Posted Image

#15090 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Drop Dead Fred

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

http://www.gamersgat...Y/dirty-dancing

Did I just find a new Motoki game?

I've actually played it. It is just plain awful i.e. something I'm sure Motoki would be happy to get :D