Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#15811 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Free copy of Magicka - Glüüms Temple DLC in April when it's released
http://info.paradoxplaza.com/magicka

#15812 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Dreamfall Chapters, the next Longest Journey game, is on Greenlight.

This was pretty much an instant yes for me.

what type of game is it?
I know its an adventure game.
Is it an RPG, open world, ect...
Posted Image

#15813 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I grabbed a dead island copy. Setted an alarm on my phone. The Raptr web is really awful on a phone. The funny thing is I had a meeting scheduled by the same time the giveaway was taking place. Luckily I manage to grab my copy seconds before we entered the meeting room :)

#15814 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Dreamfall Chapters, the next Longest Journey game, is on Greenlight.

This was pretty much an instant yes for me.

One of these days I'll get the originals on Steam and play them. I'll have time soon. I swear.

#15815 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

what type of game is it?

When people generally call PC games adventure games, they generally mean of the point and click, story heavy variety.

#15816 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

what type of game is it?

Hmm well an adventure game is an adventure game. It's not really an RPG though you could think of some of them as RPG without the combat and stats (ie primarly the story and explorations portions of an RPG).

They describe it as a 3D adventure game. There is some point and click but you will be able to wander and do it in 3d instead of the typical still screen that a lot of adventure games use.

If you haven't played a lot of adventure games best thing I can say is try to get the old Longest Journey games. I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent and the best thing I can come up with is maybe the newest Sherlock Holmes game (Testament) although I have not actually played that one yet so I'm just basing that on information I've read and screenshots.

I guess LA Noire is kinda sorta kinda a modern adventure game too but I can't say I see a lot of parallels between it and The Longest Journey.

steam_sig.png

#15817 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Tip:

When people generally call PC games adventure games, they generally mean of the point and click, story heavy variety.

See im fairly new to pc. So im used to every-game being called an adventure game.

Hmm well an adventure game is an adventure game. It's not really an RPG though you could think of some of them as RPG without the combat and stats (ie primarly the story and explorations portions of an RPG).

They describe it as a 3D adventure game. There is some point and click but you will be able to wander and do it in 3d instead of the typical still screen that a lot of adventure games use.

If you haven't played a lot of adventure games best thing I can say is try to get the old Longest Journey games. I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent and the best thing I can come up with is maybe the newest Sherlock Holmes game (Testament) although I have not actually played that one yet so I'm just basing that on information I've read and screenshots.

I guess LA Noire is kinda sorta kinda a modern adventure game too but I can't say I see a lot of parallels between it and The Longest Journey.

Ok thx Sounds like a game you just have to play to really know what it is so ill try out the older ones.
Posted Image

#15818 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ok thx Sounds like a game you just have to play to really know what it is so ill try out the older ones.

You might as well start with Adventure if you're going to do it right.

Tip: don't start with Adventure

#15819 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Thanks! Signed up.

re: Adventure Games

I always consider the Penumbra series and Amnesia as the sort of torch bearers for modern adventure games.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#15820 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

See im fairly new to pc. So im used to every-game being called an adventure game.

It can get confusing because the word 'adventure' gets thrown around a lot. 'Action/Adventure' 'RPG/Adventure' 'Go on an amazing adventure' etc.

But saying something is an adventure game usually means story oriented game where you progressing by finding items, using them, talking to people etc. and using the mouse usually to click through all that.

Adventure games have always been popular in parts of Europe but in the US they were popular in the 80s and early 90s then seemed to fall out of favor for a while. Classic adventure games would be things like King's Quest, Maniac Mansion, Shadowgate, The 7th Guest and so forth.

I suspect most people over a certain age have played one of them at some point but may not even realize it.

For people who buy a lot of indie bundles chances are that you already have several adventure games as there have been quite a few of them in some of the bundles lately.

You might as well start with Adventure if you're going to do it right.

Tip: don't start with Adventure

*Edit: Wrong Adventure. I was thinking the Atari 2600 one. But I remember text Adventures too and they were, um, interesting. :-P

Oh god I remember that game Adventure. I loved it when I was a kid even though the character you play is literally a block cursor and the dragon looks like a 4 year old's scribble drawing of a duck. :lol:

BTW if we're talking really moldy oldy Adventure games, my favorite was Below the Root. It may sound silly to say from looking at it now but it really was very progressive for its time. I kind of wish someone would do a modern kickstarter reboot of it. It really was a cool game with an interesting story (based on a novel) and you could wander all over and do all sorts of things including glide between trees. :)

steam_sig.png

#15821 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Is there any way to get a working PC version of Maniac Mansion? I bought it on clearance at Target as a kid and rage quite a million times before finally giving up. It was my first adventure game so I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#15822 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Is there any way to get a working PC version of Maniac Mansion? I bought it on clearance at Target as a kid and rage quite a million times before finally giving up. It was my first adventure game so I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing.

I haven't tried it personally, but supposedly it runs under DOSBox.

http://www.dosbox.co...wID=78&letter=M

steam_sig.png

#15823 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

It was in the Amazon MS bundle for 10 bucks that most people grabbed up with those EC coupons for 5 bucks. Since there were 5 games in that bundle it made the value of it roughly 2.00/1.00 depending.

Mark of the Ninja typically goes for $3 in the trade thread, $2 sometimes.

The bundle is dead and gone and will likely never be around again until next January, if anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for a little more than $3.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#15824 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I stumbled across this fantastic 18 month old post by a now-banned GAFfer giving a nice roundup of PC racing sims. Apparently the rFactor engine is at the heart of most SimBin stuff. Also I missed another free open-sauce sim, Racer.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#15825 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I stumbled across this fantastic 18 month old post by a now-banned GAFfer giving a nice roundup of PC racing sims. Apparently the rFactor engine is at the heart of most SimBin stuff. Also I missed another free open-sauce sim, Racer.

Can't trust those banned people. Oh wait...

Thanks for the post. That looks really useful. I haven't played them extensively but I like the Simbin stuff at least on the more realistic end of racing games.

steam_sig.png

#15826 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

You can buy day of the tentacle too. It includes a copy of the original maniac mansion.

About adventure games. I love them. Sadly I started later, so one of my first one was legend of kyrandia. I use to have console games before, computers were too expensive. My first pc was a 386, and couldn't go back to console gaming after playing pc games.

I think telltale and other companies doing "funny" and "short" (or chapter based) adventure games are doing a great job. My wife wasn't a pc gamer before playing puzzle agent, Sam & max, the journey down and deponia . She is now a fan of adventure games! She didn't liked the more serious/lengthy ones... But I think she will later on.

#15827 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

If you find a copy, you can run it under ScummVM.
Posted Image

#15828 KillingMachine

KillingMachine

CAGnificent!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

There was a fan remake of Maniac Mansion from a few years back called "Maniac Mansion Deluxe". It seemed fairly true to the original from what I could tell. You can grab it for free from here.

#15829 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think telltale and other companies doing "funny" and "short" (or chapter based) adventure games are doing a great job. My wife wasn't a pc gamer before playing puzzle agent, Sam & max, the journey down and deponia . She is now a fan of adventure games! She didn't liked the more serious/lengthy ones... But I think she will later on.

I think this is a good point. We're always quick to shout out some of the major classics of the genre when someone asks about getting in to adventure games. Unfortunately, some of those can be pretty daunting to a newcomer (your wife, for example), particularly if they have to pixel hunt. I think it really helps to learn the mechanics and logic of the genre in lighter games. As you mentioned, TellTale does a great job of being new player friendly. In fact, I'd almost say their Back to the Future game is the perfect gateway in to adventure gaming. It presents the basic features of an adventure game in an engaging but light story, and it's pretty easy to get through.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#15830 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Speaking of newer adventure games segmented into chapters, a bunch of people kept going on about how good Walking Dead was, but I'm all bah humbug 'I hate zombies and I don't watch the tv show' so I avoided playing it. I did of course buy it on a cheap sale and throw it into the backlog like a good digital hoarder.

Well Raptr finally made me get off my ass and play it and I actually quite like it. You don't need to have watched the show at all and I think they overall did a good job with making an interesting story based modern Adventure game, even for a zombie-hating curmudgeon like me.

steam_sig.png

#15831 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I think this is a good point. We're always quick to shout out some of the major classics of the genre when someone asks about getting in to adventure games. Unfortunately, some of those can be pretty daunting to a newcomer (your wife, for example), particularly if they have to pixel hunt. I think it really helps to learn the mechanics and logic of the genre in lighter games. As you mentioned, TellTale does a great job of being new player friendly. In fact, I'd almost say their Back to the Future game is the perfect gateway in to adventure gaming. It presents the basic features of an adventure game in an engaging but light story, and it's pretty easy to get through.

I didn't bought back to the future to my wife the last time it was on sale because... I wanted it for me first! Hahaha. I'm a bttf huge fan. Also, she wasn't so hooked by the time... I think I bought Sam & max to her... And then she became an adventure fan.

I think telltale creates a whole adventure revolution again with the walking dead. I hope we'll see some classic revival soon. I really want a new kyrandia and maniac mansion game! And, why not a dune 1 remake? I still treasure that one

#15832 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I used to play Adventure games all the time. Space Quest, Kings Quest, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Indiana Jones, Sam and Max, The Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango, etc.

However, the games started to become fewer and now it seems there is a revival. :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15833 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

How is Future Soldier on PC? I might be in for this bundle deal.

Mark of the Ninja is utterly sterling but you could probably get it cheaper elsewise.

There's always been more adventure games than people have noticed.

I think ScummVM can play Maniac Mansion on PC (As well as the whole Lucasarts retinue and then sem.). I see no reason why it shouldn't, hell, MM came for free with DoTT CD as an Easter Egg.

Spoilers:
Spoiler

Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#15834 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

Got a quick question on the Future Soldier Pack. I know on the front page it advertises the season pass as being part of the bundle. However, it's actually all the DLC's and not the specific "Season Pass" item. I'm assuming these DLC's are the season pass and no more DLC's are planned to be released.

#15835 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Well, played some War of the Roses...

The melee definitely doesn't live up to Chivalry standards. When determining your type of attack based on where you look is a horrible mechanic. Two handed polearms range feel like they have the same range as a one handed weapon. You have to be right up against another person just to hit. Archery is definitely easier to hit with in this game compared to Chivalry. Classes and customizing loadouts look awesome. But when most of it is hampered by a horrible melee system...

I'm definitely going to pass on this one.

test.gif

#15836 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

There was a fan remake of Maniac Mansion from a few years back called "Maniac Mansion Deluxe". It seemed fairly true to the original from what I could tell. You can grab it for free from here.

Thanks for the link - I actually feel like revisiting Maniac Mansion, so this will provide some nice changes. Personally, I have some nice memories of the Commodore 64 version. Is that considered the best version, or is the PC version just as well regarded?

#15837 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

Well, played some War of the Roses...

The melee definitely doesn't live up to Chivalry standards. When determining your type of attack based on where you look is a horrible mechanic. Two handed polearms range feel like they have the same range as a one handed weapon. You have to be right up against another person just to hit. Archery is definitely easier to hit with in this game compared to Chivalry. Classes and customizing loadouts look awesome. But when most of it is hampered by a horrible melee system...

I'm definitely going to pass on this one.

Eh, having played the game quite a bit, completely disagree. It matters where you hit in War of the Roses, and the aiming mechanic works fine. If you hit someone with plate armor in the shoulder (pauldrons), you're probably not going to do any damage. If you hit them in the mid section/side with a power, charged attack, they're going to be hurting. It's difficult, very difficult, but the game is more of a medieval combat simulator, as opposed to Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare. It's very technical and complex; hell you even choose the type of metal and grind on your blade, as well as your combat style (Milanese, Imperial, etc). The game can be intimidating at first.

Pole arms do NOT hit when you're close to an enemy. If you are too close (i.e. one handed sword range), you will hit with the stalk of the weapon and will do no damage. Successful hits with a pole arm are very tricky range-wise, but are extremely rewarding (especially when you hit that sweet spot right in the neck and instakill your target with a decapitation).

If the game isn't for you and Chivalry is funner, that's cool. Just saying, that bit about pole arms is completely off base.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#15838 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

I haven't played War of Roses yet. The free weekend of Chivalry was enough to make me sell off my key though. It wasn't bad and somewhat enjoyable, but I sucked at it and I felt the physics weren't all that in the game. I probably needed to get used to it. I think with these melee based MP games you just have to pick a side and learn their system and go with it and it will be fun as long as the game isn't completely broken.

#15839 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

I haven't played War of Roses yet. The free weekend of Chivalry was enough to make me sell off my key though. It wasn't bad and somewhat enjoyable, but I sucked at it and I felt the physics weren't all that in the game. I probably needed to get used to it. I think with these melee based MP games you just have to pick a side and learn their system and go with it and it will be fun as long as the game isn't completely broken.

The physics are definitely there in WotR. Arguably too much for people who aren't looking to play a difficult simulator-esque game. You move slowly (heavy armor), your swings with heavy weapons are sluggish and take forethought and charging, etc.

I watched a lot of gameplay footage of Chivalry, and it seems like the arcade version of the genre. Understand that when I say that, I'm basically saying WotR = Battlefield 3, Chivalry = CoD:MW. One has more realism (WotR is definitely more realistic than BF3, even), while one is fast paced and arcadey, but not so realistic.

To each his own, just explaining things.

bZ2g3eF.png

#15840 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Yeah, but you determine your type of attack with mouse direction and lmb. Instead of a dedicated mouse button seperate from mouse look, there will be conflicts at times. I admit, I'm not very good at war of the roses, but half the time I get a side attack instead of pierce. In War of the Roses, I don't get that sense of spacing and speed that I get from playing Chivalry. Maybe it's the camera, maybe it's me, or maybe it's the different engine, but I prefer the Chivalry melee system much much more than what's offered in War of the Roses.

Besides, WotR is more like CoD than anything else because of the class customization. Chivalry, all there really is to it is mastering weapons. The unlocks are more of a side thing to further hone in your weapon and playstyle.

I honestly don't care which game requires more skill, but when you end up fighting system mechanics, a fun time isn't exactly guaranteed.

test.gif