Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#16021 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Weird, either the Steam Daily isn't flipping on schedule, or Gabe decided to run the Cave Story daily for two days in a row.

DD are select Serious Sam games at 80% off.

http://store.steampo....com/sub/17410/

#16022 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hmm that game got to $10 in a little over 3 months. I wonder if Square Eidos will do the same with Tomb Raider.

Remember how long it took for Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex to drop? I think they were both under $25 within minutes of release and $10 a few hours later.

#16023 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.

IPAs are hardly obscure. Most any brewery will do one, including various small and unknown places, but they are not, as a style, obscure. Obscure would be something like a Gose or a Gratzer. (Two old German styles done by only a handful of breweries even in Germany.)

They're also sort of the equivalent to a big red in the wine world. The flavors are bold and in your face. There's no need to develop a palate to find and appreciate a wide range of subtle flavors. They are easy to understand. As such, they tend to be very popular with people relatively new to craft beer. Craft beer has been on a big upswing with a more casual crowd, and those are the people drinking a ton of IPAs at craft bars instead of the Bass or Stella they might have been drinking five years ago.

#16024 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.

"Oh, you're drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? That was ok before they went mainstream. Now it just doesn't taste right. I'm drinking Houndstooth Sixpence 90 Minute IPA. It's only available at this one place 90 miles east of here, on thursdays, at 4:14 AM, and you have to pay in iTunes gift cards."

And before you get all worked up, I'm sure there are people that legitimately like it. I just don't get the craze.

IPAs are hardly obscure. Most any brewery will do one, including various small and unknown places, but they are not, as a style, obscure. Obscure would be something like a Gose or a Gratzer. (Two old German styles done by only a handful of breweries even in Germany.)

They're also sort of the equivalent to a big red in the wine world. The flavors are bold and in your face. There's no need to develop a palate to find and appreciate a wide range of subtle flavors. They are easy to understand. As such, they tend to be very popular with people relatively new to craft beer. Craft beer has been on a big upswing with a more casual crowd, and those are the people drinking a ton of IPAs at craft bars instead of the Bass or Stella they might have been drinking five years ago.

Well said.

After tasting what other kinds of beer are out there, and more easily available than before, you start to realize how shitty most mass-produced-and-marketed American and imported pale lagers and pilsners taste.

That kind of douchebag snobbery described accompanies anything that involves matters of taste and subjective judgement—food, drink, art, wait for it... gaming.

I have an Anchor in my fridge waiting for me, but it's a Liberty Ale, which I've never tried before.

If you're lucky enough to live in Chicagoland and want to take a chance on new kinds of beer, this is a godsend:

Posted Image

Not that every craft brewery is available there, but it's a good start.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#16025 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Posted Image

I'll stick with this. God damn if there isn't anything better than a cold pint of Guinness from a tap -- particularly when the bartender knows how to pour it correctly.

Guiness for me is always the safe bet, whether it's from tap or bottle.

Now I live in Colorado and can have all sorts of great microbrews, including this one:

Posted Image

I don't think Blue Paddle is that obscure. I mean, New Belgium is everywhere, especially Fat Tire. Stores I've been to always stocks lots of New Belgium stuff.

Other than that, Shiner has been my favorite for 10+ years. I don't care that it's gotten so popular that it's the #1 specialized beer or something in America. Just makes it easier for me to find, because it used to not be sold in most places.

Posted Image

#16026 osso1

osso1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Saw this on Dealnews

Green Man Gaming offers downloads of Hitman: Absolution Professional Edition for Windows for $12.49. Coupon code "GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS" makes it $10. That's $7 under our mention from a month ago and the lowest price we've seen. (It's a current low by $40.) It comes with a 72-page digital artbook, "making of" video, and more. Note that Steam is required to download and activate this software.

I missed getting this with cagrocks coupon
Definite Buy for me

#16027 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Saw this on Dealnews

Green Man Gaming offers downloads of Hitman: Absolution Professional Edition for Windows for $12.49. Coupon code "GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS" makes it $10. That's $7 under our mention from a month ago and the lowest price we've seen. (It's a current low by $40.) It comes with a 72-page digital artbook, "making of" video, and more. Note that Steam is required to download and activate this software.

I missed getting this with cagrocks coupon
Definite Buy for me

Yep, more people who don't read before posting.

It's live and it works. I just scored a A Binomial Nut Shot for $10, Professional Edition to boot.

Worst case it drops to $7.50 by the summer sale, I figure.

Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#16028 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hmm that game got to $10 in a little over 3 months. I wonder if Square Eidos will do the same with Tomb Raider.

That's exactly where I am. I see these good reviews of TR and a few pre-order bonuses and they are tempting... but they're nothing like the 50% off "waiting" bonus we're gonna get in a few months. I think I'm holding out on this one.

76561197971332172.png

#16029 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Yep, more people who don't read before posting.

Or who don't want to play a guessing game to figure it out... when I originally read your post there was no link to GMG so I went to their site myself instead of wasting time trying to figure out what the hell you meant.

I still haven't played any of the Hitman games in my library, so I guess I can put off this purchase a little longer.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#16030 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I don't think Blue Paddle is that obscure. I mean, New Belgium is everywhere, especially Fat Tire. Stores I've been to always stocks lots of New Belgium stuff.
[/IMG]

To be fair, we in the Midwest (or Michigan, at least), just got New Belgium shipping to us this fall. People sort of flipped their shit at the time. I think that was a bit of an overreaction, but New Belgium is a really solid brewery, and their beer, at least at stores around here, tends to be surprisingly cheap for the quality.

Or who don't want to play a guessing game to figure it out... when I originally read your post there was no link to GMG so I went to their site myself instead of wasting time trying to figure out what the hell you meant.

Yeah, you did post the deal as an anagram...

#16031 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

True. However my original post (below) was in the GMG thread. And my repost in the steam thead this morning confirming the deal is live has the link. (Linking before a deal is live just invites whining from people who don't pay attention to the fact that's it's in the future.) Could I have been less obtuse before the deal was live? Sure! ...but how often do games have anagrams like that.

http://blog.greenmangaming.com/

Hitman Ab will be $12.50 tomorrow, I'm assuming 20% will stack.

Tin-Tin is also 75% off, but no buy button for me in Amerika. I'm guessing guessing the pub said, "Non!" to Américains. (Not kidding it's Ubi, GMG can't sell Ubi games to Yanks).

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#16032 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

True. However my original post (below) was in the GMG thread. And my repost in the steam thead this morning confirming the deal is live has the link. (Linking before a deal is live just invites whining from people who don't pay attention to the fact that's it's in the future.) Could I have been less obtuse before the deal was live? Sure! ...but how often do games have anagrams like that.

I suspect we could find good anagrams for lots of games if we tried hard enough. But I am too busy playing Blander Rods, Ionic Zit Vial, and Oh, Militiamen!

edit: and the Steam deals going on right now are Sumos, Arise!, Software Horse, and Infant Ham Joker.

#16033 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

I suspect we could find good anagrams for lots of games if we tried hard enough. But I am too busy playing Blander Rods, Ionic Zit Vial, and Oh, Militiamen!

edit: and the Steam deals going on right now are Sumos, Arise!, Software Horse, and Infant Ham Joker.

Those actually sound better to me than the original games those anagrams are based on.

steam_sig.png

#16034 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've heard that last one is a Bara knockoff dating sim loosely based on Oh My Goddess! ^_~

#16035 Rehykja

Rehykja

Diggles Gonna Dig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

To be fair, we in the Midwest (or Michigan, at least), just got New Belgium shipping to us this fall. People sort of flipped their shit at the time. I think that was a bit of an overreaction, but New Belgium is a really solid brewery, and their beer, at least at stores around here, tends to be surprisingly cheap for the quality.

Yeah, you did post the deal as an anagram...

New Belgium is definitely a solid brewery and while I didn't flip my shit I was glad to see their stuff become available in the Mitten. We're lucky in my eyes to have a lot of awesome brews available here. Still waiting on Yuengling though. =/
Wubwubwubwub.

#16036 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I've heard that last one is a Bara knockoff dating sim loosely based on Oh My Goddess! ^_~

I could actually see Winter Wolves or Hanako making that.

I think it's a little too much, err, ham for Christine Love though.

steam_sig.png

#16037 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I don't always drink beer.
But when I do,
I discuss it at length in the CAG Steam Thread.

That's my contribution for the day. Now, back to "Skirym." Good luck deciphering THAT anagram.

#16038 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Those actually sound better to me than the original games those anagrams are based on.

I could totally see you playing Software Horse!

You play FBI agent John R. Backup, and you have to infiltrate a camp of violent militiamen in the small town of Hammock, Montana. Little did you expect that love would be waiting in the form of Ed Largeman, the gruff leader of the militia. But what do you do when Vin Unleaded, Largeman's right hand man, gets jealous? And what do you tell your bosses in the FBI?

It's essentially the story of Betrayed.

#16039 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I don't always drink beer.
But when I do,
I discuss it at length in the CAG Steam Thread.

That's my contribution for the day. Now, back to "Skirym." Good luck deciphering THAT anagram.

You're playing "My Risk" without asking me first? That really "Irks My"

I know the "Secret Herd Lolls" is an addictive game series, but still...

#16040 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

New Belgium is definitely a solid brewery and while I didn't flip my shit I was glad to see their stuff become available in the Mitten. We're lucky in my eyes to have a lot of awesome brews available here. Still waiting on Yuengling though. =/

I have friends that request I keep an eye out for Yuengling and pick some up for them whenever I take any kind of substantial road trip.

I've never actually had it, to be honest.

#16041 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16042 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Any New Belgium fans who find themselves in Colorado should go on their brewery tour. Kind of cool to see the history behind the company and how things run now. Plus free samples!

#16043 Rehykja

Rehykja

Diggles Gonna Dig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

I have friends that request I keep an eye out for Yuengling and pick some up for them whenever I take any kind of substantial road trip.

It's not going to blow any minds but it's a nice easy drinking lager. Not something I'd drink all the time even if it was easily available, but it's good for what it is and was fairly cheap the few times I've been able to pick it up out of state. I think it'll lose some of the strange reverence it's got around here if it ever becomes available though.

Any New Belgium fans who find themselves in Colorado should go on their brewery tour. Kind of cool to see the history behind the company and how things run now. Plus free samples!

I was in Denver on business about a year ago and was hoping to find time to hit up that tour, but alas I was not so lucky. Boo. :(
Wubwubwubwub.

#16044 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

For all this talk about New Belgium you should just go to Actual Belgium instead. It's full of old men riding bicycles. And truffles. And nice beer.

Bit flat, mind.

Edit: the country, not the beer.

#16045 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Is anyone playing War of the Roses having an issue with lag? I swear a lot of my attacks look like they're striking the enemy, but no damage appears on screen.

#16046 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Same here, for the most part.
Racers, Platformers, Fighters - gamepad all the way for me.

Some games that have botched KB/mouse controls and/or just feel like they were totally built around a gamepad - yeah, it's kind of in your best interest to go w/ the gamepad.
I'm thinking PC versions of RE4 and Dark Souls PTD here.

Usually - RPG's, Shooters (FPS/TPS), I prefer KB/mouse.

Yeah, I play Dead Island with a controller because of the shitty port job. Looking around with the mouse is very, very choppy.

Is anyone playing War of the Roses having an issue with lag? I swear a lot of my attacks look like they're striking the enemy, but no damage appears on screen.

There is a fair bit of lag sometimes, while other times it's really good. Honestly though, hitting enemies is hard. A lot of attacks that you think are hitting aren't actually meeting their mark, or are hitting portions of armor that deflect damage unless you're using a very big, heavy weapon.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16047 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

I'm shocked by how unimpressed I am with War of the Roses. I love the Mount and Blade series but having played War of the Roses for a bit today, I just find it terribly mediocre and lacking all the charm of M&B. I guess I can defend the combat in M&B because the mounted combat was excellent and while the graphics were rough, it was a part of a larger game formula that seemed to work well and was just plain fun.

As a stand alone, combat-only game ... frankly War of the Roses is just awful. Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way, but the animation looks dated, it struggles on my system (which can run games like Skyrim just fine), and it seems to lack the fun I found in other offerings from Paradox.

-edit-

Having played a bit more, I can see how it can be fun, but I'm really glad I didn't spend $20 or $30 for it. My hope is that the next Mount and Blade will utilize the engine they're using for combat here and add in everything else that seems to be missing (ie. strategy, storyline, exploration, army building, rpg character building, etc)

Edited by etcrane, 03 March 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#16048 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

One of my personal favorites:

Posted Image

Yuengling is a good cheap American made brand. It will not blow you away but I think it
is one of the best mass produced ones out their.
Their best beer is probably either regular American Lager or this bad boy:

Posted Image

10.49 for a 12 pack of B&T not bad at all. :D

It seems to be fairly popular here since Ohio got it back in October of 2010.

Posted Image

Na man it all about da OE, Mickeys, etc. 8-)

Posted Image

It's not going to blow any minds but it's a nice easy drinking lager. Not something I'd drink all the time even if it was easily available, but it's good for what it is and was fairly cheap the few times I've been able to pick it up out of state. I think it'll lose some of the strange reverence it's got around here if it ever becomes available though.

I think that is a good synopsis of Yuengling. It won't blow your mind but it is better than the
most mass produced stuff and won't kill the wallet like most micro or craft brews. You might try the B&Ts if you like a mix of Porter and Lager.

Man, that GMG deal on Hitman Absolution is so tempting!!!! Must resist..... backlog.. could.. crush..... an elephant.

Edited by evildeadjedi, 03 March 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16049 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Yeah, I play Dead Island with a controller because of the shitty port job. Looking around with the mouse is very, very choppy.

There is a fair bit of lag sometimes, while other times it's really good. Honestly though, hitting enemies is hard. A lot of attacks that you think are hitting aren't actually meeting their mark, or are hitting portions of armor that deflect damage unless you're using a very big, heavy weapon.

Maybe I'm missing at least some of the time, then. I like it so far, but I'll have to dig into the backlog and try Mount & Blade and see how it compares,

#16050 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Maybe I'm missing at least some of the time, then. I like it so far, but I'll have to dig into the backlog and try Mount & Blade and see how it compares,

I played a bit of M&B Warband. It's good, but the combat felt much less defined and heavy as WotR. The graphics hurt M&B too. Combat feels a little cheesy, and I don't think the horseback combat was any better than in WotR.

Warband is still awesome from the strategic/exploratory aspect. It's just dated. I REALLY wish WotR had a single player side like Warband.

bZ2g3eF.png