Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#16201 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Activation limit discussion? Activation limit discussion!

Haha that is awesome.

Anyway, I'm a little pissy about DRM right now because the Gundam Unicorn Anime I 'rented' last night for $6 from the Windows 8/Xbox Live Movies app (on the PC) won't let me play it because the DRM is blocking it even though I paid for it. *sigh*

mdUFwSE.png

#16202 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Looks like they changed the Daily Deal? Sins of a Solar Empire is no longer on sale but Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack is.

76561197977258746.pngAddFriend.png 

Spoiler

#16203 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Haha that is awesome.

Anyway, I'm a little pissy about DRM right now because the Gundam Unicorn Anime I 'rented' last night for $6 from the Windows 8/Xbox Live Movies app (on the PC) won't let me play it because the DRM is blocking it even though I paid for it. *sigh*

Speaking of bad DRM, Origin won't let me install Shift 2 Unleashed through its client because of DRM issues. EA's response reformat. :roll:
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#16204 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Looks like they changed the Daily Deal? Sins of a Solar Empire is no longer on sale but Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack is.

Oh weird! I've never seen them do that, they actually pulled the Sins sale (news item about it being the daily is still up). @ Today's daily, I got the DR complete pack for $10 on the winter sale, so Meh.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#16205 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Where is the 24 hour part? Not that I'm doubting you but it's not on the Steam page.

It's on the big DRM list. http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List

Also, I am just wary of any activation limits in general. Things can always go wrong with them and I have had DRM on digital games/music/movies etc not function correctly and block my access in error. Steam DRM I am at least familiar with and know I have had no problems with.

There's also the principle of the matter of why does it need extra DRM with activation limits AND need to login to Origin when it's on Steam and Steam already checks that. How much DRM does a game need?

Certainly less than it has. Even given that it's EA and EA wants Origin involved, the activation limits don't seem needed. At least the limits are mostly non-limiting.

I wouldn't skip this one based on the DRM. I will skip it based on the reviews in this thread.

#16206 lotsofgames

lotsofgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hurrah! Good price on Spectraball. It got a major update in Jan.

Good prices on Syberia and Velvet Assassin too, but I own those. Most of these have been in indie bundles.

I had the chance to pick up Spectraball last month and so far I have been really enjoying it. $1.24 is a great deal.

#16207 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

I had the chance to pick up Spectraball last month and so far I have been really enjoying it. $1.24 is a great deal.

^_^ Cool. I'm looking forward to giving this a spin this week. (spiritual) Descendants of Marble Madness have been few and far between.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#16208 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

I for one really liked Gatling Gears on 360, playing local co-op. The drm is idiotic but it's a pretty fun 2-player game for $2.50

#16209 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Speaking of crappy EA DRM...

SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

I played it a few weeks ago when they had a beta weekend. It's not bad it's just not wow and the social stuff, hmm I don't know that it's really needed.

I'm in the maybe if it goes cheap camp.

mdUFwSE.png

#16210 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I played it a few weeks ago when they had a beta weekend. It's not bad it's just not wow and the social stuff, hmm I don't know that it's really needed.

I'm in the maybe if it goes cheap camp.

^_^ Nod. Although, honestly, the last SimCity I spent much time with was the original. If anything that articles points toward a buggy unbalanced release. I really have to strongly agree with one structural point: Without being able to reload from an earlier save point it's hard to experiment (or just throw Godzilla at your city, for kicks). That one issue is quite close to my heart. It's why I feel freer in single player games, where I can act without being overly cautious and reload from a earlier point if things go south.

I'm surprised with the blind faith some CAGs have put into their SimCity pre-orders. (Especially since it's been a decade since SimCity 4, so it's functionally a reboot.)

Oh, random AssCred Rev complaint: The credits go on forever and are unskippable.

#16211 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

I don't know why AC1 gets so much hate.

It's all about the gameplay - which is severely lacking in AC1.
I'll get to the explanation...

The combat was a bit more difficult, but only because it was more complex. The game actually played more like an assassin/stealth game compared with the Michael Bay action games that followed.

B/c the side missions were repetitive; side missions lacked variety; and the NPC character models and their voice-acting were often cut-and-paste; and gameplay variety was lacking.

And you were FORCED to do these repetitive side-missions before you could even embark on main quest missions - something AC2 fixed!

Killing your target was a thoughtful process. You had to plan well and execute that plan properly to achieve success. After that you were rewarded with interesting/thoughtful dialogue.

Main missions were excellent....
...but, the last 1/3rd of AC1 turns into an action-fest and becomes a different game entirely.

Following AC1 you are more akin to a homicidal maniac just tearing through the area looking to sate your bloodlust.

AC2 gave the player more variety w/ a lot more missions types.

The story was actually done correctly as well. In AC1 the memories merely supported the main story of the current assassin/templar struggle(Desmond's time). The following games merely tacked on Desmond portions for continuity sake and made the memories the new focus.

AC1's story was pretty good....
...until the cliffhanger. Usually, I'm not fond of the AC cliffhangers.
ACB had one of the more jaw-dropping ones.

Sure, it was far from perfect, but I think it gets a bad rap as one of the worst of series. It should be, at worst, right behind AC2 and probably would edge it out in my opinion.

Everybody's got different opinions - but I think AC1 was very disappointing and an very overhyped.

#16212 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

So how does everyone really feel about Assassins Creed?

mdUFwSE.png

#16213 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

We should make a thread in the PC forums and call it "Assassin's Creed Discussions".

#16214 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

As a series it is very repetitive, which is why there is intense debate over the small game-to-game differences. Of course everyone else's views are null and void because they never mentions the Laura Croft-ish Templar Lair platforming segments in AC2 & ACB that are totally missing in ACR. Heck part of th ACB DLC was more templar lairs.

Posted Image

#16215 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I haven't played AC enough to have an opinion of it. Like what I played of the first game and probably own all or most but have not played them. Curse of the backlog. Almost done with Bad Rats though :)

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16216 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Show me an AC3 sale for $10 or less, and we'll talk. ^_~

Yeah, that sounds good to me! :D
Would be even better if it AC3 was $10 and included the Season Pass. ;)

Though, I'm not really interested in playing an AC game for a bit, since I just got through ACR...
I need a different type of game right now; a little bit of a change of pace.

#16217 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Though, I'm not really interested in playing an AC game for a bit, since I just got through ACR...

Bad Rats?

I heard there's an Alpaca rape game, but not really interested in Alpacas.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16218 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

^_^ Naturally I mean complete version. I couldn't see myself spending money separately on AC3 DLC. (Especially considering my total letdown with ACR DLC (Lost Archives, cough, cough)).

This is exactly when I mean, repetitive. I spend ~40 hours on AC2, ACB, & ACR, each. After finishing one, you really need a break and to play something different. I spaced out AC2 & ACB by a year and that felt right. I spaced out ACB & ACR by 6 months and that was about the minimum spacing I would do. I'm almost 6 months from ACR, so I can play AC1 and write off AC3 until the complete version goes on sale in the Fall.

#16219 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Bad Rats?

Nope, none of those.
I haven't decided what's next for me to play yet.

#16220 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Bad Rats?

That one just creeps me out (not that much, but just a little -- esp that artwork). Of all the deviants I'm accepting of, I just don't quite grok furries.

#16221 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

I'm surprised with the blind faith some CAGs have put into their SimCity pre-orders. (Especially since it's been a decade since SimCity 4, so it's functionally a reboot.)

I pre-ordered. I love SimCity. I love all of them (2k, 3k, 4).

It was probably a foolish thing to do (though I got it for next to nothing out-of-pocket). I just want so badly for it to be good and do well that all rational thought left me in my moment of weakness.

Oh weird! I've never seen them do that, they actually pulled the Sins sale (news item about it being the daily is still up). @ Today's daily, I got the DR complete pack for $10 on the winter sale, so Meh.

Nooooooo! Almost bought it today at lunchtime... I come back and it's gone, replaced with a bad Capcom deal.
Edit: lol, already own it

Edited by hal, 04 March 2013 - 11:26 PM.

76561197971332172.png

#16222 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.

Selling Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundles for $1.10 PayPal or one TF2 key. PM me!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16223 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I think AC4 is really the low point for the series.

Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.

Yeah, I don't really recall AC1 getting hyped up at all. I bought it on a whim since it looked cool and my friends and I were just wowed by how cool it was.

#16224 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I felt it was somewhat over hyped (most games from large companies are). It was definitely groundbreaking look wise. It shared elements of games prior (open world + action + stealth) of course.

The thing that kinda upset me I knew one of the big reveals prior to even playing the game (due to a preview of the game on G4).

You find out about it right when you start the game. I would have liked this revealed later in the game myself. Or, the first time you "die".

By the end of the game I just wanted it to end. It got very tedious.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16225 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I think AC4 is really the low point for the series.

Yeah, the addition of Jar Jar Binks really killed it.

Posted Image

#16226 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm waiting for Lego Ass Creed. It's long overdue.

#16227 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I don't really know what was so ground-breaking about AC1.

It was a technically poor PC port upon its release (and ran like garbage on my PC that I had back then); and another open-world game (there's been tons of these, since GTA3).

Thing was, AC was mostly focused on stealth & platforming...
....until the last 1/3rd of the game became an action-fest.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (another open-world stealth game) was actually better than AC1.
AC series really owes a lot to Thief series and Prince of Persia series, if you ask me.

Well, I hope so...
...I mean, the cut & paste stuff and repetitive-ness can definitely be found BIG TIME in both AC1 & Far Cry 2....

#16228 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Please don't get me started on Far Cry...

#16229 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Please don't get me started on Far Cry...

Crytek's original Far Cry or those Ubi Monteal sequels?

#16230 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Can someone confirm that Dead Space 3 is Origin-only?