Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#16231 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

The whole animus thing was a huge turn off for me at least, and totally broke immersion too much. If you want to invoke modern day stuff into my assassination game then let me be the Assassin of Creed, bout time someone did something about that band!

#16232 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Crytek's original Far Cry or those Ubi Monteal sequels?

Sequels... I mean you know what I'm talking about right?

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16233 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

The movie?

#16234 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

The movie?

I'm actually a huge fan of anything Uwe Boll, especially House of the Dead 1, which is the pinnacle of video game move adaptations. House of the Dead 2 got all serious and entertaining that it lost all the charm of the first and moved into watchable movie territory.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16235 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

This thread goes to some strange places sometimes.

#16236 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ummm....sometimes? :-x
More like ALL THE TIME.

#16237 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Well, I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet. Can't speak on that...

...but Far Cry 2 is repetitive as hell on the side-missions. Seriously, too many recycled cut & paste safe houses and respawning "shootouts" areas.

No surprise, since both AC1 (2007 on consoles; 2008 on PC) and Far Cry 2 (2008) were both released close to each other.

#16238 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

I believe the Far Cry movie is Origin-only, and EA never discounts it. You're better off getting the Postal movie off Steam.

#16239 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16240 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

@EvilDeadJedi

I was thinking this:
Posted Image

#16241 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't really know what was so ground-breaking about AC1.

It was a technically poor PC port upon its release (and ran like garbage on my PC that I had back then); and another open-world game (there's been tons of these, since GTA3).

Thing was, AC was mostly focused on stealth & platforming...
....until the last 1/3rd of the game became an action-fest.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (another open-world stealth game) was actually better than AC1.
AC series really owes a lot to Thief series and Prince of Persia series, if you ask me.

Well, I hope so...
...I mean, the cut & paste stuff and repetitive-ness can definitely be found BIG TIME in both AC1 & Far Cry 2....

Poor port? Then we'll talk about the console versions, lol.

There was never a game quite like AC1. New gen games are NEVER fully unique, so obviously there were open world games before, stealth games, etc. I still fully believe there was nothing like Assassin's Creed before it was released though, concerning the gameplay, story, setting, etc. Similarities here and there, but AC was very unique and groundbreaking.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16242 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Poor port? Then we'll talk about the console versions, lol.

Nope, I never touched console versions.
AC1 PC version ran like garbage on my PC.
And on that same PC, AC2 PC ran A TON better.
Yeah - they actually optimized and put a ton of effort into AC2 PC, despite it (at that time) using "always online DRM".

There was never a game quite like AC1. New gen games are NEVER fully unique, so obviously there were open world games before, stealth games, etc. I still fully believe there was nothing like Assassin's Creed before it was released though, concerning the gameplay, story, setting, etc. Similarities here and there, but AC was very unique and groundbreaking.

Gameplay-wise - it took stealth elements from Thief series (especially Thief: Deadly Shadows w/ an open-world stealth game); open-world games (like GTA, Boiling Point, etc); & the platforming of games like say Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider.

Yes, the setting, story, prose/dialogue, and characters was pretty good in AC...
...but it's certainly say no Planescape: Torment in any of those regards.
Of course - no game is in PST's league for that stuff, for that matter.

#16243 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

Rev3's Tara Long gives her 1st impressions on SimCity (2013)

#16244 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Don't know if this is relevant but just saying AC1 ran like absolute shit on PS3, and still does after the one patch they released.

#16245 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

@MysterD, that reminds me one of the reasons I hate most video reviews. I honestly prefer reading stuff. But if you're going to use video, maximize it's advantage in *showing* me aspects of the game. I really hate the talking-head stuff. IGN does a good job of that. (But I never bother with the videos until I've read the review.) I'm pretty sure I'm in a small minority about that though.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#16246 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

@MysterD, that reminds me one of the reasons I hate most video reviews. I honestly prefer reading stuff. But if you're going to use video, maximize it's advantage in *showing* me aspects of the game. I really hate the talking-head stuff. IGN does a good job of that. (But I never bother with the videos until I've read the review.) I'm pretty sure I'm in a small minority about that though.

All I know: I have SimCity 4: Deluxe from Retail still untouched and that I probably should one day look at that....

....and wait for SimCity 2013 to get cheap and/or maybe have its DRM-lessened.

Oh, and maybe C&C4 (don't own) and Darkspore (do own) will have it's "Always online DRM" lessened, one day...

#16247 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Gameplay-wise - it took stealth elements from Thief series (especially Thief: Deadly Shadows w/ an open-world stealth game); open-world games (like GTA, Boiling Point, etc); & the platforming of games like say Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider.

Yes, the setting, story, prose/dialogue, and characters was pretty good in AC...
...but it's certainly say no Planescape: Torment in any of those regards.
Of course - no game is in PST's league for that stuff, for that matter.

Thief was first person, eh? Sure, there's a stealth/assassination thing going on there, but I still don't see the gameplay between Thief and AC as all that similar. Calling AC similar to GTA because it's "open world" is akin to saying all video games are similar because they're played on a PC/TV monitor. The "platforming" of AC is only vaguely similar to any of those games, too. Climbing, vaulting, and generally being a parkour badass was never, ever done anything close to how AC did it. Not to mention those mechanics were seamlessly integrated into the stealth/assassination system, and you've got something wildly original.

And PST has great writing, but it's nerdy/off-the-wall/dark/humorous and hard to compare to anything. It's good, but it's just in a different world (different league or not).

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16248 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

@idiot, just admit it, AssCred is a PuckMan ripoff. You run around collecting stuff. You spend alternating bits of time running from enemies and taking them out. ^_~

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#16249 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

@idiot, just admit it, AssCred is a PuckMan ripoff. You run around collecting stuff. You spend alternating bits of time running from enemies and taking them out. ^_~

You're kidding right? Obviously it's just copying Mario. He's Italian, jumps around, assassinates goombas from above, etc.

bZ2g3eF.png

#16250 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

Where is Sunghost when you actually need him to snitch on people for being off topic?

#16251 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

You're kidding right? Obviously it's just copying Mario. He's Italian, jumps around, assassinates goombas from above, etc.

I'm pretty sure Ass Creed 1 is a direct rip off of Ass Creed 4. Nothing original at all.

#16252 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

@Idiotekque

Like I said - AC series been picking off certain elements from certain games.

Like Dishonored, AC series takes a mix of TONS of different games and genres, mixes them together; and does a thing of its own with it (i.e. has its own original type of setting).

While Thief 1 and 2 were first-person only...
...Thief: Deadly Shadows (AKA Thief 3) allowed for player to SWITCH the camera b/t 1st and 3rd person at their very own will.
Also, Thief 3 was a full-blown open-world stealth game.

Also, if you're talking assassination missions w/ often huge open-areas (which AC1 has), that's taking cues from the Hitman games.

My comparison w/ GTA is AC series is open-world; and especially b/c of the big maps and mini-maps are loaded w/ symbols of where to get missions.

#16253 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

-big shrug-

Every game known to man uses certain elements from other games to do its own thing. Every one. Except for Pong, perhaps.

bZ2g3eF.png

#16254 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Genocidal, 05 March 2013 - 01:42 AM.

x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#16255 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

I'm pretty sure Ass Creed 1 is a direct rip off of Ass Creed 4. Nothing original at all.

I'm hoping that AC4: Black Flag will be a better game than AC1...

#16256 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

-big shrug-

Every game known to man uses certain elements from other games to do its own thing. Every one. Except for Pong, perhaps.

Pong is a blatent ripoff of Spacewar! (1962) <shakes head, kids these days don't know their gaming history>

Although Computer Space (1971) is an even a bigger ripoff, and was featured in Soylent Green (1973).

However Galaxy Game, Spacewar clone on a PDP11/20 came out a few months before Computer Space. It also hold the distinction of being the first coin-op video arcade game (in Tressider Union at Stanford).

Computer Space in Soylent Green

#16257 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I definitely think the pirate genre is severely underrepresented. So is AC + Pirates original?

#16258 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

Pong is a blatent ripoff of Spacewar! (1962) <shakes head, kids these days don't know their gaming history>

Although Computer Space (1971) is an even a bigger ripoff, and was featured in Soylent Green (1973).

However Galaxy Game, Spacewar clone on a PDP11/20 came out a few months before Computer Space. It also hold the distinction of being the first coin-op video arcade game (in Tressider Union at Stanford).

Computer Space in Soylent Green

True, but even those were copying real ping pong!

bZ2g3eF.png

#16259 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

I definitely think the pirate genre is severely underrepresented. So is AC + Pirates original?

Nobody said AC4 was going to be original.
I'm glad it's doing the pirates themes, though I'd rather a new AC game come out a few years down the road - especially one going pirate-y.

And no, I have NOT played Sea Dogs.
I do have Age of Pirates: Carribbean Tales; and Age of Pirates 2.
Never touched AOP2, though.

EDIT:

Posted Image

{Waiting for Morte from PST to throw one of his catch-phrases}

#16260 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

If it has these guys it will be.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image