Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#16411 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Blah, exactly when did computer games become all social and socially acceptable?

It kinda makes me miss the days when the answer to the question, "So do you have any hobbies?" of "I like to play computer games." was only slightly more acceptable than "I like to drink." but at the same time less socially acceptable than "I go to cat shows every weekend."

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#16412 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

Anyone surprised? Like everything else in the AAA industry these days: dumbed down/mainstreamed. Not sure why anyone expects anything other than Facebook integration, QTEs, overemphasis on graphics, tepid console ports, etc. etc.

#16413 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

It kinda makes me miss the days when the answer to the question, "So do you have any hobbies?" of "I like to play computer games." was only slightly more acceptable than "I like to drink." but at the same time less socially acceptable than "I go to cat shows every weekend."

I've solved that problem by responding with "I like to drink and play computer games."

#16414 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

@Motoki
:claps my hand for that post:

#16415 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Eh, Indie Gala Flash at $5.33 BTA right now. Not so sure I want to pay that for Miner Wars 2081, EDF, and the unknown game. Have they been adamant about not having another Happy Hour? I keep seeing posts about it, but I thought they weren't going to have one last time and did anyway.

#16416 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

@Blade, well, weren't the happy hours after the first week? And this bundle doesn't run that long. That said, anything's possible. The Simulator bundle never got a HH, and they make twitter noises against HH.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#16417 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Blah, exactly when did computer games become all social and socially acceptable?

I have no problems w/ games like Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 1 - where I can play my campaign offline or online. It's up to me. I don't have to always depend on both game company's server; and/or any troubles w/ my Internet connection from either my end and/or my ISP's end.

I like that in TDU2 PC, I have the option to play the game offline at my own whim; or go take the game online and play w/ other racers. It's up to me.
And if there's any problems on Atari's servers or on my end - hell, I'll just play the game offline.

I like that in Sims 3 PC (since Showtime expansion), it's up to ME if I want to sign-in to play online w/ extra features into my Origin account...or not.

OPTIONS are a good thing.

{Sarcastic line coming} Oh, I so can't wait until the day we're paying to "rent" games that are stored up in THEIR Cloud.

#16418 huldrelok

huldrelok

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Picked up the soul reaver pack, really enjoyed these games and havnt played defiance yet.

#16419 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm sure this comment will be disagreed with vehemently, but I think always online DRM doesn't have that big of a practical effect for PC gamers during the lifespan of the game. I think it's overblown and a silly complaint once you get past launch-window issues.

Look at it this way, would you be willing to suffer online-always DRM in exchange for a $10 discount at launch? I would. In theory, keeping pirates out means more profit for them, so they should be able to discount the game.

The problem is that EA is asking $60, gonna whore DLC, it's always-online DRM, and poorly executed (server issues, etc.).

Edited by Das_Regal, 06 March 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#16420 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

I was thinking, it's been too long since I've seen a shift code... here are two new one, 5 keys each
KJWJ3-SCBFK-S5F3J-JBBB3-BHCJ3
K35JT-B3FXC-ZCFJB-BTTBB-CFHRT

#16421 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was thinking, it's been too long since I've seen a shift code... here are two new one, 5 keys each
KJWJ3-SCBFK-S5F3J-JBBB3-BHCJ3
K35JT-B3FXC-ZCFJB-BTTBB-CFHRT

Thank you for posting these. I haven't even played BL2 in at least 2-3 months, but I keep redeeming these keys. It'll be super nice when I get around to playing again.

#16422 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the code drop Ashes.

Selling Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundles for $1.10 PayPal or one TF2 key. PM me!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#16423 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looks like the MSRP of Skyrim has finally dropped. It's now $39.99.

Also, Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition has dropped to $19.99 (from $29.99) & Doom 3: BFG Edition has dropped to $19.99 (from $29.99).

#16424 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Remember when I posted a Sunset Boulevard picture and Blade said he was dissappointed I didn't hide a key in it and I said I wouldn't even know what game would go with Sunset Boulevard?

Yeah, I found the perfect game on daily deal at Big Fish. Film Fatale: Lights, Camera, Madness!

Posted Image

Too bad they don't issue keys.

And yes, I bought it. Duh.

mdUFwSE.png

#16425 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've solved that problem by responding with "I like to drink and play computer games."

I tell them "I get drunk off my ass and go to cat shows". The disgust evens out to computer game playing levels.

#16426 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

I tell them "I get drunk off my ass and go to cat shows". The disgust evens out to computer game playing levels.

Pfft. I get my cat drunk off his ass and take him to the titty bars

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#16427 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Kitty Titty bars?

mdUFwSE.png

#16428 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

It's random things like this that make me love this thread.

#16429 cyrus386

cyrus386

I used to go by "annihilator"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

So my two cents on Sim City 2013 is that I agree with you on the more casual nature of it. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but I don't know that it's necessarily Sim City either.

I do, however, somewhat resent the trying to almost force people into the social features and really what almost feels like a Facebookization at times. I mean the whole 'visit your neighbor's city' is very Farmville.

I think the nerdrage is somewhat justified because all of this social and hence the always online nature of the game (and the not being able to play the game the some have experienced because of it) could have, and in my opinion, should have been made optional. I don't care if it's there but let people play the game however they want. No good can come from trying to force people to play a way they don't want to play.

I feel like it's arrogance. This is how our game is and this is how you should play it. Why? It reminds me of Johnathan Blow in Indie Game: The Movie going on and on about how people were not getting his artistic vision and how they were 'doing it wrong'. Or maybe they just got enjoyment out of playing his game in a different way than he intended and maybe that's not a bad thing.

I know people who play The Sims and never actually created a single Sim. They just build houses and basically use it as an architectural simulator. It's not wrong, it's just different. If they get enjoyment out of playing that way who cares? Would it help those players if you arbitrarily tried to force them to make sim families and advance in careers in order to get to the building part? No, it will just piss those people off and drive them away, and those are people who want to like the game.

I feel like they are doing this with Sim City 2013. These issues came up time and time again in interviews prior to the game and they refuse to listen. I never have read a good reason for the forced integration of the social features and always online DRM that comes hand and hand with that. The arguments always read to me like 'Because we want it that way'.

I can also say that I first hand experienced EA's servers glitching out in the past and not letting me play a game that I paid for because of their connection scheme that failed (Dragon Age: Origins) and it sucks and does piss people off.

But back to this whole social/always online Sim City business, if it's an EA thing because they think is will cut down on piracy and Blizzard got away with it and/or they still think social gaming is hot shit and PC gaming needs more of it to attract the masses and issued some mandate then call a spade a spade. But if it's just the people who made the game trying to force everyone to play it their way then they are being asses as far as I'm concerned.

/soapbox.

Not attacking you Motoki as we are all CAGs here, but so why did you buy it then? Knowing pre-launch that this was going to be the case. Vote with your dollars, man! You've certainly convinced me to hold off at least until they remove the always-online DRM.

If I wanted to be social I'd go outside!

#16430 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not attacking you Motoki as we are all CAGs here, but so why did you buy it then? Knowing pre-launch that this was going to be the case. Vote with your dollars, man! You've certainly convinced me to hold off at least until they remove the always-online DRM.

If I wanted to be social I'd go outside!

I didn't buy it, I played the private invite only beta a few weeks back.

I was going to clarify that but the reply was already getting TL;DR'y.

I should also state that I didn't absolutely loathe the game and it does have some fun aspects, but that forced social/always online business really lowers the value for me so I'm mentally filing it in my $10 or GTFO drawer.

mdUFwSE.png

#16431 NvaderJim

NvaderJim

Game Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Kitty Titty bars?

Www.livenudecats.com :hot:
Posted Image

#16432 iSerra

iSerra

With the new day comes new thoughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

New Groupee Digital Games Factory Bundle
http://groupees.com/dgf

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (Steam & DRM free)
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty (Steam & DRM free)
Commanods 2: men of Courage (Steam & DRM Free)
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin (Steam & DRM free)
Broken sword Director's Cut (Steam)
Broken Sword 2 (Steam)
Imperial Glory (DRM free)
Preadtorians (DRM Free)

#16433 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

New Groupee Digital Games Factory Bundle
http://groupees.com/dgf

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (Steam & DRM free)
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty (Steam & DRM free)
Commanods 2: men of Courage (Steam & DRM Free)
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin (Steam & DRM free)
Broken sword Director's Cut (Steam)
Broken Sword 2 (Steam)
Imperial Glory (DRM free)
Preadtorians (DRM Free)

Eesh. Those are all repeats, mostly from Gala.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#16434 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Surely you mean "kitty" bars. . . . (EDIT: naturally everyone beat me to that! :-) )

Uh, what exactly is the issue you're having with being unable to get games to save?

Have you created a virtual memory card in the Playstation One save utility area on the XMB?

It's been a while since I even attempted to mess with this. I bought Syphon Filter a couple of years ago when I got my system, played for a while, tried to save, failed because I didn't have this virtual memory card. At that point I tried to set it up, tried playing SF again, went to save and was told that no place to save existed. That was when I quit fooling with it.

If people are buying the game and having issues w/ downloading; activating; and staying connected (and the problem's obviously on EA's end and not yours); and losing saved-game progress - then yes, it's a problem.

I agree with this; any game that's built around having always-on functionality should have stable servers, et cetera at launch. History suggests that this never happens (I'm looking at you, Diablo III and Assassins Creed II), but it should.

Your assumption is that everyone who purchased it somehow kept up with every developing story and tidbit on the game, and knows the full impact of shitty DRM.

Um, no, it's not. My assumption is that people who paid $60 for a game read at least one article about it; otherwise I would be forced to conclude that they aren't all that concerned about how they spend their money and therefore shouldn't have gods-wroth-worthy ragefits about such matters.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#16435 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Wait what? That's a thing? I'm at work so not clicking through in case the 'cats' part is alluding to a synonym...

Also kinda Hopes Deleted on the Groupees bundle but I guess it's nice for people who may have missed some of those past Gala bundles.

mdUFwSE.png

#16436 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Eesh. Those are all repeats, mostly from Gala.

It even has an annoying BTA/non-BTA split - the first Broken Sword game and Commandos 3 are in the $4 bracket, while the other games from those series are in the $1 bracket.

If they'd put Commandos 2 & 3 in the $1 tier, I'd have bought it for sake of completion, but as-is I don't think that it's worth the extra $3 for Commandos 3.

Selling a Steam gift/tradeable copy of: Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe ($4.98)

#16437 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Um, no, it's not. My assumption is that people who paid $60 for a game read at least one article about it; otherwise I would be forced to conclude that they aren't all that concerned about how they spend their money and therefore shouldn't have gods-wroth-worthy ragefits about such matters.

If it was a new game I would give you that but I think when you slap a big well known title on a game you're going to get a certain segment of people who will buy the game based on positive experience with a past version of that title alone and EA knows this.

The Dragon Age 2 uproar definitely points to this. A lot of people were expecting, you know, Dragon Age 1 Part II which I don't think is that unreasonable.

There were lots and lots of lots of arguments (hey this is the internet) back and forth over whether or not people should be expected to research a game before they buy it, but I'm still sticking my opinion that putting an established name on a game is intentionally marketing to fans of the past iterations some of whom will come into it not entirely unreasonably expecting the new product to live up to their experience with that franchise.

I think we live in a bit of a connected in on all the lastest gaming news micrcosm, but I could totally see a much more casual player, like my sister for instance, thinking 'Oh I remember Sim City!' and buying the game based on that and being surprised at some of the changes and new requirements.

Also if I game is not an MMO then I don't think it's all that unreasonable to expect that it won't require a constant internet connection because 99% of non-MMO PC games don't. Hell even Ubisoft has reversed themselves in that regard lately.

Anyway, tired argument is tired. I think we can all agree that an informed consumer is a better consumer but I also think the reality is that a lot of consumers aren't going to be that well informed, particularly when they see a name they are familiar with and have positive past experience with, and I think EA is even counting on this.

mdUFwSE.png

#16438 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Psh. Who cares about always online DRM? Aren't your mom's basements wired for internet? ISPs never have issues and once a server goes online it's permanent with no downtime. Crybabies.

This message brought to you by publishers everywhere in the next 10 years.

#16439 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

:-P I braved it.
I am now getting ready to meet a local nude cat in my area.
Posted Image

#16440 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Anyway, tired argument is tired. I think we can all agree that an informed consumer is a better consumer but I also think the reality is that a lot of consumers aren't going to be that well informed, particularly when they see a name they are familiar with and have positive past experience with, and I think EA is even counting on this.

Fair enough.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.