Photo
- - - - -

Free 1 Year membership with ShopRunner

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#211 Caddywompus21

Caddywompus21

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Almost forgot about this, looks like you can still sign up through the 31st. Figured I'd be a day late once I remember to sign up.

#212 Finch106

Finch106

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Thanks OP!

#213 YoUnGKiLlAh

YoUnGKiLlAh

Gamer4Lyfe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

I was going to sign up to this using a different email address, but I checked my other account and it says it doesn't expire till next year 12/31/2013 :D

#214 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

For those who don't know about the ShopRunnerCentral trick, here are the instructions:

1. Sign in to your SR account.

2. Click on Benefits.

3. Go to Shopping Tools and click on the link that says "Sign up Today".

4. Activate ShopRunnerCentral using a Gmail or Yahoo email account. FYI, it doesn't have to be the same email account used to sign up for the ShopRunner account.

5. You'll get a confirmation email saying that your SRC account has been activated and that you've been given an extra 3 months on your membership. FYI, SR will scan your Gmail or Yahoo email for any SR transactions you've made.

6. Afterwards, you can cancel your SRC membership by following steps 2 and 3. However, this time you'll be given an option to cancel your SRC membership. Doing so won't take back the extra 3 months that was given to you as a result of signing up for SRC.

Thank you, good sir.

#215 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Shoprunner must be desperate to keep customers, because they automatically reupped me for free.
Posted Image

#216 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Shoprunner must be desperate to keep customers, because they automatically reupped me for free.

I just came in to say the same... and my membership from last year was free too.

#217 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

same

#218 JohnnyDrama

JohnnyDrama

VICTORY!!!!

• CAGiversary!

nice, thanks!

#219 Jasonlydon

Jasonlydon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I just came in to say the same... and my membership from last year was free too.

Same here -- I actually had just changed my account this morning to "do not renew" (even though they don't even have a cc number for me) and received an email that 2013 would be free a couple of hours later.

Bizarre.

#220 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

got a free 1 year re-up too. maybe they are having problems staying in business.

#221 chris00cm

chris00cm

Deal Connoisseur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Probably won't use it much but nothing beats free. Why not?

#222 ritchardf

ritchardf

add ritchardf on psn and xbox live

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Probably won't use it much but nothing beats free. Why not?

started a 3 month trial 3 years ago to get some zhu zhu pets for christmas for my daughter shipped free, havent used it since, they keep giving me free renewals, just got the email for 2013. guess it would be good if you liked dominos but didnt like going to get it.

#223 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Haha, I had "renewed" my membership yesterday by cancelling and resubscribing with the code in the OP, and had it up to an end date of 3/19/2014. Then I got the email from them this morning saying they had extended my membership for another year. Alas, I logged in and checked, and the end date hasn't changed from what it was yesterday, so apparently they have something set to limit the extension to 2013.

I'm assuming that this means they have some other, more profitable way of making money than the actual membership fees, that makes it worthwhile for them to keep even members who don't pay the fees. No clue what that would be, though. (Maybe they make most of their money from the stores who use them, and higher membership numbers help with that?) I know that while I found it nice to have a few times this past year, I certainly didn't get enough out of it that I would have paid $80 for it...

#224 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Affiliate fees.

#225 BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

So basically you buy stuff from other stores through Shoprunner and it gives 2 day free shipping?

#226 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

So basically you buy stuff from other stores through Shoprunner and it gives 2 day free shipping?

Yeah but not all items are applicable. Eg video games from tru.

#227 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Same for me as well and I didn't even want to renew because they ship Newegg for me some ridiculous criss country way that actually takes longer most times than shipping straight from Newegg.

#228 IamPro

IamPro

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sweet, too bad Toysrus took off Shoprunner on batteries I need :cry:

#229 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm assuming that this means they have some other, more profitable way of making money than the actual membership fees, that makes it worthwhile for them to keep even members who don't pay the fees. No clue what that would be, though. (Maybe they make most of their money from the stores who use them, and higher membership numbers help with that?) I know that while I found it nice to have a few times this past year, I certainly didn't get enough out of it that I would have paid $80 for it...

Paying shoprunner members

• Retailers get sign up bonuses from shoprunner if they help shoprunner get a paying membership.
  • Shoprunner will pay retailers a subsidy for purchases made by paying shoprunner members.
Free shoprunner members or nonpaying members

• No subsidy for nonpaying members.
  • A small transaction fee will be charged to the retailer for nonpaying members.
So basically they make more money by offering free memberships since the retailer pays them for each transaction. As you can see as more shoprunner members are the free kind, retailers have been very picky on which item are shoprunner eligible. I have been a shoprunner free member since newegg started offering shoprunner in the summer of 2011 I think. Back then lots of items newegg sold were shoprunner eligible but as time went on less of them are shoprunner eligible.

Dominos is probably the one that benefits most from shoprunner, they only lose out a little on delivery charge but on average a shoprunner customer buys from them more than a non-shoprunner member.

#230 Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Just got an email and shoprunner extended my old account another year

Posted Image
Posted Image
Nintendo Network ID: Yeloazndevil

#231 Rockinjs

Rockinjs

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Just got an email and shoprunner extended my old account another year

Posted Image

Same

#232 mars009

mars009

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Forgot to do this and now it's over..oh well

#233 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

So basically they make more money by offering free memberships since the retailer pays them for each transaction. As you can see as more shoprunner members are the free kind, retailers have been very picky on which item are shoprunner eligible.

I wasn't aware of this, but it explains why so many items on the sites that participate are ineligible for free 2-day shipping. They're going to wind up killing their own business in the long run, because by providing a disincentive for retailers to let consumers use the service on more products, they're providing a disincentive for consumers to pay for the service. I'm not sure what the long-term upside is for them other than, at best, finding a way to survive and continue to limp forward.

A lot of the things I can get on Newegg that let me use Shoprunner already ship free, so SR is shaving a negligible amount off of the transit time, to the extent that it doesn't seem like much of a value to me. If I could use it on everything that Newegg sells (especially the damn games that they ship with that UPS Mail Innovations crap), and they added some other sites like Monoprice, that are further away and don't offer free shipping, I would probably pay for the service like I pay for Prime. As it stands now, I doubt that the company will still be around by the end of my current free period, which expires in March 2015.

#234 kaseyjakes

kaseyjakes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

great. i just cancelled my membership and now it says the offer is expired. lame.

#235 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

has this been extended for anyone else? they've been sending me emails saying my membership will expire on 12/19/13, but when I logged in today the expiration date said 12/19/14.

No email about the extension either.

#236 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

has this been extended for anyone else? they've been sending me emails saying my membership will expire on 12/19/13, but when I logged in today the expiration date said 12/19/14.

Mine expires on the 31st so I cannot help right now...  If I remember (or someone reminds me) I'll look when it does expire. 

My guess is that they do a better business with the contracts from the sellers than the do from members...  So its worth keeping people around for free so they can tell the sellers...  "Hey, I have this many people on a newsletter, etc..."

I mean I've never paid them a dime and have been a member for 2 years now...  *shrug*

#237 mungler

mungler

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

Same for me; a nice surprise. Hell, I actually only logged in because I was surprised that they were still sending me promo e-mails, given that I didn't "renew," and that's when I saw that I had been unexpectedly extended a year.

The funny thing is that the two times I tried to use my account within the past year, the items I was ordering were not eligible for the free shipping. Lame. At least I got a few free deliveries from Domino's.

#238 asif105878

asif105878

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

When I check my account I see:

membership expiration

12/20/2013

But when I order at dominos I still get free delivery at checkout.

#239 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Mine was set to cancel on 03/19/14, though when I logged into the account to check on it, it's showing as expiring on 03/19/15.

I do use it all the time for items from NewEgg and other vendors, such as eBags and Dominos, so it might be why they extended it out for me.   I'm using it at least 2-3x per month, if not more.   That might have something to do with it.

I just hope that they're still around by March 2015. :pray:

#240 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

you guys order dominos with it? y??? :(