Photo
- - - - -

Humble Indie Bundle 7 - Offspring Fling, Cave Story+, Basement Collection added!

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#271 11440

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Another entry in the How to Half Make a Rudimentary Game-Like Thing series of video instructionals. I get that the final product is not the point of these jams, but what is the value of showing the process when what's being produced is rubbish?

#272 Dezuria

Dezuria

Loading, please wait...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Normal indie games are terrible enough. Who wants RUSHED indie games? That's like asking to lose TWICE.

If you were talking about Xbox indie games, I'd agree, but PC has tons of amazing games that come from indie devs. Just ask Cheapy how he feels about FTL. :)

#273 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

If you were talking about Xbox indie games, I'd agree, but PC has tons of amazing games that come from indie devs. Just ask Cheapy how he feels about FTL. :)

That wasn't made in three days. We'll see nothing of that caliber.

#274 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

I can't wait to see what distorted ball shooting platforming roguelike they come up with! I felt a bit deceived last year. They asked you to vote for the type of game they would make, but really what they ended up making was just whatever they were able to make function in those few days.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#275 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

I wouldn't go that far.

That said, FTL was made by a real indie game studio that clearly understands what a real game is and, yet, even though they can only make indie games, their work shows the latent talent needed to someday make a real game, some time in the far future.

The losers we have working here? And in three days? Please. I hope you're ready for your retro pixel randomly generated adventures. Only Wolfire stands a chance of making something that doesn't remove value from society and even then I wouldn't bet on them.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#276 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Holy Cow, somebody donated one hundred thousand.

#277 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Only Wolfire stands a chance of making something that doesn't remove value from society and even then I wouldn't bet on them.

Wolfire needs to stop doing all of these jam sessions and speaking engagements. I put down $30 for Overgrowth back in 2009, and have technically been waiting on the game since 2006, yet nothing has surfaced. They do offer weekly alphas, but there's no real way gauge just how far along they are with the game (especially since they keep going back to tweak older ideas), and alot of their time seems to be involved with all of these indie get-togethers, making comics, etc. I think they are abusing the principle behind "it will be done when it's done."

#278 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Overgrowth coming in the Fall... of 2017. In a way they're sort of like Valve. The revenue they generate from HIB (they still get the 'tips') and the percentage I'm sure they get through selling other indies via the Humble Store has given them such a cushion that they aren't under any massive pressure to release it.

Holy Cow, somebody donated one hundred thousand.

Although it was done anonymously I'm guessing it is probably Notch considering the two charities are EFF (which is more of a political action committee than a charity) and Notch's own start up charity Block-by-Block. Tax shelters 4tw!

#279 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Or Bronies? Though I would think if it was Bronies they'd want it known so they can get into a donation war again with Notch.

steam_sig.png

#280 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

I would be surprised if they mustered $100,000 even all together. Their past donations have been lower than $10kish or so if I recall right. The amount is just too much to be a third party. Depending on how the transaction was made I'm assuming Paypal or Amazon payments or someone would take a chunk out of that. Maybe not. Just seems like there are better way to go about donating that kind of money versus website transactions. It's also sort of free advertising for Notch/Mojang: 'ZOMG did you hear, someone just donated $100k on this indie bundle thing.'

That said, I'm not sure what good publicity does Mojang. Did they ever even technically finish Minecraft? And are they really making any headway on their new games?

#281 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wolfire needs to stop doing all of these jam sessions and speaking engagements. I put down $30 for Overgrowth back in 2009, and have technically been waiting on the game since 2006, yet nothing has surfaced. They do offer weekly alphas, but there's no real way gauge just how far along they are with the game (especially since they keep going back to tweak older ideas), and alot of their time seems to be involved with all of these indie get-togethers, making comics, etc. I think they are abusing the principle behind "it will be done when it's done."

And after all that time it STILL is barely more than Lugaru with bloom.

In your defense, indie developers were not so obviously awful then as they are now.

When people bad mouth publishers, I can't help but think of these manchildren endlessly distracted by shiny objects. At least publishers crack the whip on people like this.