Ever immediately regret a sale or wonder if you could have gotten more than offered?

maximumzero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Anyone else have this problem? I sell videogames every now and again on Amazon, but with almost every transaction I have a day or two of "Dammit, I could have probably gotten more for that."

Last night I listed a Gameshark for the Dreamcast on Amazon at $39.99. New/"collectible" copies start at $55, and used copies without a box or disc top out at around $15.

Now I have the box, most of the packaging, the manual and, the disc, so it fits squarely in between the two, so I priced it at $39.99, which is leaning towards the "new" price.

It sold in less than 5 hours, and I woke up to an e-mail this morning telling me as such.

Almost immediately I was hit with a sensation of "Dammit, I betcha I could have sold that for $50." But it's too late now, what's done is done.

Anyone else do this or am I just a schizo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same feeling when something I post sells in less than a day, but I feel better about it when I think that someone out there got a good deal out of it.

Now to decide if I want to sell the second Dreamcast Gameshark I have or if I want to keep it..

Hmm. I never really used the thing all that much in the first place, but it's the only way I can play my Japanese copy of Sonic Adventure 2.

Which isn't as good as I remember.

Not really... If you're selling something then chances are you don't really want it. However, in your case, it's different because you found additional parts to the item which give you edge to sell at higher price. Well, I blame that on bad planning (it happens to me too).

[quote name='Serpentor']Not really... If you're selling something then chances are you don't really want it. However, in your case, it's different because you found additional parts to the item which give you edge to sell at higher price. Well, I blame that on bad planning (it happens to me too).[/QUOTE]

Bad planning?

I have definitely had this happen. I hate it when I sell something on ebay that goes for less--especially when it's significantly less--than I have seen other comparable items go for at around the same time. Of course, this also goes both ways. Some times things sell for more than they should have, and that is always awesome. I guess the good and the bad kind of even out.

[quote name='DNukem170']All the damn time. Especially if an auction has a ton of watchers but only one bid.[/QUOTE]

This. It was about a year ago that I was going to sell a bunch of rare stuff and decided that instead of BIN auctions, I'd do a regular auctions. Man oh man, did I regret that move. The bids were fine and near the end of the auction, I had 20-30 watchers each.

I've been selling my stuff on eBay from time to time so I know all the tips (best ending time, pictures, description, etc.). And I knew that at the end, there's usually a lot of last minute bids. But it just didn't happen.

From the top of my head, some of things I remember are: complete & good shape Chrono Trigger (w/ all maps/posters) sold for $67 and a complete & near mint Dragon Force for $44. At the time, other auctions were ending for significantly more. All in all, I had 8 items that should have sold around $600, I got like $350.

After that, I decided to never do auctions again. I've listed all my stuff at BINs now and they always sell within a few days.

I do auctions but with a higher starting bid and a buy it not much higher. So maybe buy it now 40 with 30 as the starting bid. Most sell buy it now but if people don't want to pay quite that much they can bid. Works for me, I almost never have to relist anything.

I don't have a problem with it; some things if you price too high they won't sell. I see it as the difference between a real world sale and "selling to the book"--i.e. some of the top range sales are only made by power sellers with max visibility or shipping internationally. Unless you have the right kind of set-up, those might as well be fantasy sales.

I don't do BIN. Used to put it with bids, but a couple items kept getting purchased but never paid. My one auction had it done 4 times!

I do the action listing with BIN option. I always set the auction as to what I am willing to take, and the BIN to what I want.

Sometimes I think I took less, but I also moved it, so it's a win. I listed all of my duplicate Gamecube Zelda titles over the weekend and people were hitting my BIN before I could post the next one. I may have been too low, but they were going fast. I am torn over what to do with my sealed copies, do I BIN for possibly less or try my luck on the auction?

[quote name='DNukem170']I don't do BIN. Used to put it with bids, but a couple items kept getting purchased but never paid. My one auction had it done 4 times![/QUOTE]

BIN with instant payment required. There's no point in doing BIN any other way unless you want to offer shipping discounts but now, with eBay's fees shipping costs, it's cheaper to bump up the item's price w/ free shipping.

[quote name='Vinny']BIN with instant payment required. There's no point in doing BIN any other way unless you want to offer shipping discounts but now, with eBay's fees shipping costs, it's cheaper to bump up the item's price w/ free shipping.[/QUOTE]
ebay's free shipping costs? what do u mean by that?

[quote name='Barney']ebay's free shipping costs? what do u mean by that?[/QUOTE]
They charge a final value fee on shipping charges now, so the way to beat it is to bump your item's price up a bit and offer free shipping. The customer feels like they are getting a deal and you made the same amount. :cool:

I've done this a couple times. The worst is when I was selling a couple of the Whirlwind Skylanders on ebay. I did BIN for like $30 or so and sold them pretty quickly. So I was ok with a $15 or so profit on them. A week or two later though they were selling for up to $200 each (they were very rare/sought after at the time).

I don't really regret it, since I needed the money to get a lot of N64 stuff, but I know I could have gotten more for the first issue Nintendo Power I recently sold. I listed it for $100 and it sold in about 10 minutes, I could've gotten $120 (or more if I waited until the magazine was officially out of print) if I listed it earlier or if I didn't need the money right away.

Just sold a copy of Monster Hunter Tri for $18.99 pre-Amazon fees. Considering that others are selling it for new for $24.99 with free shipping.

So considering that shipping charge is $4 on my sale, It's $25 for new and $23 for used...I dunno much more I logically could have gotten/expected for it...

Jeez. Mah brain.

About 3 years ago, I sold my SNES collection on Ebay. Shipped off one good looking console, and one grungy one, and about 150 games. Not a ton of stuff, but really had no reason to keep it around anymore. Games were all cart only, but included some gems like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound. All working, all good condition. Got $850 total for the lot (also included some PS1 stuff, and random Gamecube games.)

I didn't immediately regret it, but over time I have. I would've liked to keep the Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, but that's really it. The worst part of the sale was that it ended up going to some game store down in Florida. They'll probably just slap overpriced tags on them and some shmuck will buy it.

Only time I regret a sale is once in a while I'll get an urge to play an old game, go to my library and find that I don't have it anymore.

This isn't an immediate regret - I sold a StarFox Super Weekend cartridge for $350 back in 2010. It took a few months to sell at that price, so I didn't expect it to ever go up in value. I just checked and now it sells for $650 - $1,500. Son of a bitch. I am filled with regret right now.

I don't know if I regret it so much but A LOT of my not so new current gen games sell for wtf prices when I don't control the staring bid/buy it now enough.

I don't regret selling them so low as much as not being able to find auctions like my own when I'm looking for older current gen games lol.

[quote name='Doomstink']This isn't an immediate regret - I sold a StarFox Super Weekend cartridge for $350 back in 2010. It took a few months to sell at that price, so I didn't expect it to ever go up in value. I just checked and now it sells for $650 - $1,500. Son of a bitch. I am filled with regret right now.[/QUOTE]

yea tell me about it.. i sold off 3 of those Hack part 1 with the toy figures for like 100 each and thought got a hell of a deal now they go for 300+

not myself but something i won off ebay few months back

skylanders 3ds game with 9 figures person put a BUY IT NOW for 40 with 4 buck shipping

grabbed it as soon as i saw it .... they didnt get much for it cause

44 ebay took 4 paypal probally took 2 and shipping cost 8 so they got 30 for the entire thing

dont ask me why they sold it off so cheap cause i turned around and dumped dark spyro for like 30 shipped

so i eneded up with the game with 8 figures for less then 10

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']I don't know if I regret it so much but A LOT of my not so new current gen games sell for wtf prices when I don't control the staring bid/buy it now enough.

I don't regret selling them so low as much as not being able to find auctions like my own when I'm looking for older current gen games lol.[/QUOTE]

That's why I almost only do Buy It Now. I get more usually and I know I'm getting paid immediately.

[quote name='ShockandAww']That's why I almost only do Buy It Now. I get more usually and I know I'm getting paid immediately.[/QUOTE]

Usually I end up selling because I need a little cash which is why I always at least offer the option of auction. I need to plan better financially.

Sold my 64DD dev kit, which was completely new with 5 blue disks. Can't remember how much I made, but I wish I'd never sold it either way, especially considering I paid about 200 shipped for it in the first place :(

[quote name='wiggyx']Sold my 64DD dev kit, which was completely new with 5 blue disks. Can't remember how much I made, but I wish I'd never sold it either way, especially considering I paid about 200 shipped for it in the first place :([/QUOTE]

I take it you saw the one on eBay right now? ;)

The Dark Knight Rises Cowl Edition

I originally preordered one but because I couldn't wait for it to arrive I bought one at the store since I happened to be in around the release time that night. I had intended to return the other one but then I ventured here and saw the thread for it and what they were going for on eBay. I decided to wait it out figuring its value would probably go up over time since there were limited quantities but after 4 days of waiting and seeing the demand plummet depressingly I hurried to sell mine for almost half of what I could have got for it had I jumped the first day.

Sigh I have an *almost purchase I didn't make that I'm now quickly regretting. The NECA Django Unchained action figures set. I just never buy crap like that but I saw the movie one day a week or two ago and went on Amazon and saw the figures and I was so close to buying them for some odd reason. Like I said it'd just be too odd for me to buy something like that and so I just didn't do it. They were I think $35 each.

Then I saw an article on IGN about a bunch of racism complaints about them. So I go back and I have them in my cart and in the end I still didn't buy any. I really should have went with my intuition and I didn't.

Now I read again today on IGN that the dolls are now being discontinued because of it. So of course the prices are sky rocketing on them. God dammit.

If you happen to have any or can somehow find them cheap, get them and hang onto them. Especially the Broomthilda and Django dolls I think it is. Any of them though I'm sure will be worth some money soon enough.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Sigh I have an *almost purchase I didn't make that I'm now quickly regretting. The NECA Django Unchained action figures set. I just never buy crap like that but I saw the movie one day a week or two ago and went on Amazon and saw the figures and I was so close to buying them for some odd reason. Like I said it'd just be too odd for me to buy something like that and so I just didn't do it. They were I think $35 each.

Then I saw an article on IGN about a bunch of racism complaints about them. So I go back and I have them in my cart and in the end I still didn't buy any. I really should have went with my intuition and I didn't.

Now I read again today on IGN that the dolls are now being discontinued because of it. So of course the prices are sky rocketing on them. God dammit.

If you happen to have any or can somehow find them cheap, get them and hang onto them. Especially the Broomthilda and Django dolls I think it is. Any of them though I'm sure will be worth some money soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I read about this earlier, I wonder how many were sold before they were discontinued. Those dolls are going to be worth a lot, I bet the people who sold the whole set on ebay for less then $150 are pissed. :lol:

Yeah look at the prices for the sold ones even from a week or two ago to now. SSighhhh. I'm never letting this happen again. I hope. But yeah definitely glad I didn't buy them and sell immediately, I'd really be upset at myself. I see a collection just went for $1400. I imagine even that could end up being low for something like this.

Edit: I see on January 7th the same collection sold for $144. Ouch.

[quote name='wiggyx']Of course you'll let it happen again. There's no way to predict how this sort of thing will play out.[/QUOTE]
No there really isn't, but there was a very good indicator which is why I'm upset with myself over it. Like I said I read the first IGN article about the racism complaints and that was a huge flag right there telling me to buy them asap, yet it came to it and I hesitated.

I'm sorta the other end, whenever I see a new auction with something I want I'll ask if they would add a buy it now, ud be suprised the deals u get, that are ALOT lower then the auction would of ended at. Recent example? For GC ALL CIB 2 viewtiful joes, Super mario sunshine, Mario kart DD, Sonic Mega Collection, SSBM. Purple GC + cords, memory card (looks to be 251 or 1019 block?) one controller, and a wavebird receiver too! Was a $30 starting price, they put a $50 BIN when I mssged. $10 shipping but STILL SOOO MANY ppl will let things go cheap!

[quote name='ShockandAww']Sigh I have an *almost purchase I didn't make that I'm now quickly regretting. The NECA Django Unchained action figures set. I just never buy crap like that but I saw the movie one day a week or two ago and went on Amazon and saw the figures and I was so close to buying them for some odd reason. Like I said it'd just be too odd for me to buy something like that and so I just didn't do it. They were I think $35 each.

If you happen to have any or can somehow find them cheap, get them and hang onto them. Especially the Broomthilda and Django dolls I think it is. Any of them though I'm sure will be worth some money soon enough.[/QUOTE]

This is the most depressing thing I've ever read in my entire life. I can't believe I missed out on this.

Not too big of a deal here, but I think I could have got a little more out of it. Recently I sold a complete, near mint copy of Project Justice on eBay for $55. Most sites have it listed as that but it sold only about an hour after I posted that I can't help but think that I should have upped the price on it a bit.

All the time. Everytime I sold on Amazon or Ebay, it was snagged in a day. But like one other CAG said, it makes me feel better that someone got a good deal.

I'm not sure if I should regret this or not later down the road, but I sold 5 Selling Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PS Vita) With Preorder Aksys Blue Watch for $65 each when I listed it for a day.

I generally don't try to sell my stuff because I'm afraid of not getting enough for it. Once, when I was younger, I talked my parents into selling their collection of Atari games and consoles. Some dude walked out of our house with a 2600, 5200, two joysticks, and 40 games for $60. I also sold a sealed copy of .hack//GU Volume 3 for $10 on goozex and bought some shitty Gamecube games with the points back in the day...

I guess we all make mistakes. It's fine as long as it doesn't severely cripple you (someone keeping your stuff and getting a refund, for example). Just something to live through.

[quote name='Yamato']This is the most depressing thing I've ever read in my entire life. I can't believe I missed out on this.[/QUOTE]

Well the lesson to me is that next time there's controversy over an item, stop thinking and just buy it. Absolute worst case I could have just returned the damn things or sold them at a slight loss.

Looks like prices peaked possibly. Complete sets of the 6 had sold for $5,000 in the last couple days.

A Broomhilda alone just sold for 2,300 haha.

bread's done
Back