Photo
- - - - -

Bypassing PS3's internal Wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

I have a Mac. Is there a way to proxy using an iMac? Also, I've already DMZ'd my PS3.

Privoxy is available for Macs.
Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec Primer - Now with colors!
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#32 htz

htz

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

If you proxy through a computer, your speeds will be closer to true. It's the PS3 protocols that blow when it comes to networking. There are bottlenecks in their coding that go away when proxied through a regular Windows computer. It makes no sense but it is what it is.

You also have to essentially DMZ the PS3 as port forwarding is simply not enough, it needs to be completely free to send and receive internet traffic.

I don't have my PS3 through a proxy or set to DMZ. I just have UPnP enabled on my router.

#33 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't have my PS3 through a proxy or set to DMZ. I just have UPnP enabled on my router.

Good for you. You don't need to proxy or set it to DMZ. If you have problems like the OP does, then those are the next steps.
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#34 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm finding that PSN downloads are dog slow and we have an N router and FiOS. I am not sure if the built-in WiFi is the problem or if it's just PSN, but I'm suspecting it's PSN. At the moment I can't run a wired cable to it to see if it's any better, though.

This is made all the worse by the fact that the PS3, if you queue several downloads, will then require you to manually start the installs, and those take a long time too. So while you can run them over night, you then the next day you still have to sit and wait as they install. It's bizarre that it can't background download, and then automatically install.

Crunchewy.png

#35 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Good for you. You don't need to proxy or set it to DMZ. If you have problems like the OP does, then those are the next steps.

I have DMZ and UPnP set up for my PS3 and router. With regards to setting up the proxy, if I do so, does that mean I have to have my desktop on at the same time as my PS3 for the proxy to work? If that's the case, then I don't know if that's going to be a reasonable solution for me.

#36 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

To answer the question, yes, you'd have to leave the desktop when you want to use the proxy. It's easy enough to switch between using the proxy and not, just go to the connection settings when you want to change between them. I had mine set to stay on at the lowest power settings. The point of the proxy is solely to increase your download speeds on the PS3, it's not good for hosting multiplayer games because of the lag caused by the extra hop.

Referal for Dusk 514:

#37 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

To answer the question, yes, you'd have to leave the desktop when you want to use the proxy. It's easy enough to switch between using the proxy and not, just go to the connection settings when you want to change between them. I had mine set to stay on at the lowest power settings. The point of the proxy is solely to increase your download speeds on the PS3, it's not good for hosting multiplayer games because of the lag caused by the extra hop.

I'll have to try using the proxy the next time I decide to download a large file (10GB+). It's too bad you can save multiple network settings on the PS3.

#38 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

OK, so I just wanted to provide an update on my situation. I have a wireless bridge attached to my PS3 now, and I'm glad to say that the network connection on my PS3 is finally reliable. I have no trouble connecting to PSN now and don't have any issues with random disconnections. As a result, I finally sprung for a PS+ subscription.

The only issue I have is that the download speed still isn't great even with the wireless bridge. It literally took between 3-4 days to download SSIV: Arcade Edition (18GB). I know that's a huge file, but my PS3 network test were showing download speeds of less than a Mbps. The weird thing though is that running Speedtest.net using my smartphone in the same room showed download speeds of anywhere from 5-15Mbps depending on the time of day. FYI, my wired cable modem provides speeds of up to 30Mbps.

Another weird thing I encountered is the fact that LittleBigPlanet 2 and Quantum Conundrum (combined 6.4GB) both finished downloading within 2-3 hours, which translates to download speeds in excess of 4Mbps. I know 4Mbps isn't blazing fast, but if SSIV:AE had downloaded at that rate, it would've finished in about 10 hours, which is acceptable to me because that's basically just an overnight download. At any rate, I know the PS3 network connection test lowballs download speeds, so I'm hopeful that my wireless connection via the wireless bridge isn't as slow as the PS3 says it is.

There are a couple of things I plan on doing now. I'm definitely going to be upgrading my PS3 HDD to a 1TB HDD. I just have to wait for the right deal. I also plan on upgrading my G router to an N router. However, before I do so, I'm wondering if I should expect an increase in my PS3 download speeds should I decide to upgrade my router. Also, does it matter if I get an N router with speeds of up to 150Mbps vs 300Mbps? Finally, how much should I expect to pay for a solid N router? I know I can get a good router for $50, but I know that there are quite a few sub-$30 N routers out there that have gotten solid reviews. Thanks in advance for your replies.

In preparation for the new 1TB HDD that's going to arrive next week, I started clearing out some of my old game data. I was surprised to find out that after doing a bit of clean-up, I had freed up an extra 10-15GB on my PS3, which game me enough room to finally be able to download Vanquish. I left my PS3 on overnight and was surprised to find that the entire 12GB game had finished downloading, which is a huge improvement over the 3-4 days it took for me to download the 18GB file for SSIV:AE. At any rate, I just wanted to provide an update. It appears my ethernet adapter has improved my download speeds. :D

#39 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

One other option is get another wireless router and configure it as a bridge. It will then connect to the other wireless router over wifi and you can plug your ps3 in to it with ethernet. I would recommend picking something that supports ddwrt so you can have all the options required to bridge.

www.dd-wrt.com

LOL didn't read all the notes looks like you already configured a wireless bridge. :)

#40 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just wanted to give one final update. I upgraded my 120GB HDD with a new 1TB WD Scorpio Blue HDD last night. Everything went very smoothly. I backed up my HDD over the weekend, which only took about 3 hours. Switching out the HDDs couldn't have been any easier. It took me less than 10 minutes to do it. Restoring my data also only took about 3 hours. I let the restoration process run overnight, and when I woke up this morning, everything was good. My PS3 is now showing 931GB of available space and 750GB of free space. I'm not sure why the available space isn't greater given the fact that I had used maybe 100GB of space on my old HDD, but I'm still happy about the whole process. It will be interesting to see how fast I fill up the remaining 750GB.