Iowa court: Bosses can fire 'irresistible' workers

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
All I can say is WTF? No really...WTF?

This is the quote from the guy who WON.

"Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion."

Oh yeah this is the Iowa SUPREME COURT.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/iowa-court-bosses-can-fire-irresistible-workers

This is ridiculous but I forgot we live in Iran. I mean...seriously though?!

Jeez if that guy is having problems keeping it down and from humping her that's his problem. Practice a little self-restraint jackass.
That being said I think women should remember what effect tight clothing can have on the male libido even WHEN they're trying to keep it down. If they're so hard that's painful that isn't always a medical condition.
Regardless of all these points she should NOT have been fired.
That being said, if you were hot as fuck and knew it or were even aware of it somewhat, you would likely wear clothing to show it off, even at work.

Are there even attractive women in Iowa? I heard you couldn't really tell the difference between the woman and the cattle. >_< I kid

I can't count how many females in scrubs have made me feel sensitive in the man loins, seriously wtf is wrong with these people. I'm happy the woman stood up for herself against the fleabags of a wife the dentist had.

It's a private business rabble rabble, should be able to fire for any reason derp de derp.

[quote name='Clak']It's a private business rabble rabble, should be able to fire for any reason derp de derp.[/QUOTE]
Hey, if you dont like it, dont work there. Unless the workplace forces you to pay union dues, then and only then can the state interfere with voluntary contracts between consenting individuals.

Alternatively, the wife could have left him, sued him for half of everything, forced him to close the practice (as he couldn't afford it any longer) and put everyone there out of a job.

He should have put a firm wall between employee and employer, but she should have been building that same wall at the same time.

This is pretty weird being a Supreme Court decision; it'd be better to get a jury of peers to see how hot this women was and go from there. I'd think she'd have to be a ten out of ten and universally agreed upon as "irresistible" to be considered a threat to society. :whee:

If this is simply the case of a svelte woman not wearing baggy clothes, and the boss is still having trouble with the horsey trying to leave the stable, then go get laid during your off time. Seriously, you're not 14 anymore. It's your fault if you're poppin' by the mere sight of an appropriately dressed woman, even if the clothes are a little form fitting.

[quote name='camoor']Stay classy Iowa[/QUOTE]

Hey, come on, we're not all bad. It was the Iowa Supreme Court which made Iowa one of the first states in the nation to recognize same sex marriage. Of course, in the next retention election 3 of the justices were then voted out but...

Hey, look at that, the majority opinion in this case was written by a former professor from my school.

Here's the full opinion
http://www.iowacourts.gov/Supreme_Court/Recent_Opinions/20121221/11-1857.pdf

I gotta say, I don't entirely disagree with the opinion. First off, this is a sexual discrimination claim, not a sexual harassment claim. Based on the facts, she may well have won a sexual harassment claim. With a sexual discrimination claim though, she has to show the only reason she was fired was because she was a woman, that doesn't take into consideration the attractiveness of the person being subjected to adverse action (a firing in this situation).

The most damaging aspect to her discrimination claim is that not only does the dentist only employ women (yeah, he's starting to sound like a dirtball, especially when coupled with the fact that he made more than the comments in the article) but he also replaced the terminated woman with another woman.

If it's any consolation, the court doesn't seem to like having to rule the way they did. "Title VII and the Iowa Civil Rights Act are not general fairness laws, and an employer does not violate them by treating an employee unfairly so long as the employer does not engage in discrimination based upon the employee's protected stated."

Essentially, at issue in this case is that sexual discrimination laws are written to be essentially a yes/no analysis. Was the discrimination based on sex? yes/no It should, on the other hand, be written to the effect of was the discrimination based on an aspect of sexual identity?

This is essentially the same reason why in most states and under federal law it is completely legal to terminate someone for being homosexual or transgendered because usually termination based on these aspects boils down to whether they were terminated for being male or female.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that we should be more upset with gender discrimination laws (particularly federal law) for not taking into account aspects of sexual identity rather than the Iowa Supreme Court being cornered into ruling the way they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing is with his statements from the wrongful termination case, now she has a stronger case for sexual harassment! LOLZ!

Strange case but he's perfectly within his rights to fire her. In fact you could argue she was sexually harassing him. After all, you don't have to prove intent, just the perception on the part of the victim is all that's required.

[quote name='dopa345']Strange case but he's perfectly within his rights to fire her. In fact you could argue she was sexually harassing him. After all, you don't have to prove intent, just the perception on the part of the victim is all that's required.[/QUOTE]

I would seriously like to hear how she was harassing him? I guess we should just put women in burkas since men cannot be adult enough to control themselves around attractive women. It is also bullshit to say he has the "right" to fire her. She worked there for 10 years without problems. There should be workers rights also.

[quote name='dopa345']Strange case but he's perfectly within his rights to fire her. In fact you could argue she was sexually harassing him. After all, you don't have to prove intent, just the perception on the part of the victim is all that's required.[/QUOTE]

Well first, as cancerman already ask, I'd like to know how she was sexually harassing him? Secondly, this case, decision, article, etc. isn't even about sexual harassment, it's about sexual discrimination.

[quote name='dohdough']Funny thing is with his statements from the wrongful termination case, now she has a stronger case for sexual harassment! LOLZ![/QUOTE]

She doesn't, though. She consented to his romantic advances. They willingly traded text messages and at no point did she allege sexual harassment in this case.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I would seriously like to hear how she was harassing him? I guess we should just put women in burkas since men cannot be adult enough to control themselves around attractive women.[/QUOTE]
The wife pushed him to fire her, so there was a woman who was not adult enough as well.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
I gotta say, I don't entirely disagree with the opinion. First off, this is a sexual discrimination claim, not a sexual harassment claim. [/QUOTE]

And this is entirely why the decision is appropriate and an all-female state Supreme Court would have probably ruled the same way.

Probably should have condensed all these into one post, but I'm a loose cannon.

Ok we have our first picture of this "irresistible" woman. I am no looker but this woman is 32 and looks almost 10 years older in the pic. She must have a banging body because I am not seeing it. Sorry if that is sexist but I am starting to think we are not getting the whole story here.

abc_gma_attractive_employee_jt_121223_wmain.jpg

[quote name='cancerman1120']Ok we have our first picture of this "irresistible" woman. I am no looker but this woman is 32 and looks almost 10 years older in the pic. She must have a banging body because I am not seeing it. Sorry if that is sexist but I am starting to think we are not getting the whole story here.
[/QUOTE]
The "whole story" in my opinion is that this sleazeball had been hitting on her for months and they were both mere weeks from giving in an cheating. The wife found out about it through the texts and told the husband to fire her. The husband agreed to it because he knew how guilty he was and that he was planning on trying to sleep with her. The wife then likely suggested told the husband he was going to pray to god for forgiveness and have the pastor there. The wife then probably stood over his shoulder while he wrote his prepared speech (or maybe even wrote it for him) for when he fires the assistant. The dentist is a complete sleaze who knew he wanted to cheat but as soon as he got caught he wanted to do anything to keep his wife happy.

I'm still baffled as to why this wasn't a sexual
harassment claim, it would seem to me to be a much easier claim than sexual discrimination. The crappy part of our legal system is just that sometimes the bad guy does have to win. I doubt this case should do anything to get the legislature change discrimination laws (particularly title vii which is essentially set in stone at this point) but perhaps in the aggregate it will start to move the needle...

[quote name='GBAstar']^ Damn. Looks like Nadine Valezquez[/QUOTE]

Yeah that woman in the video is very attractive. The thing is if the outfits in the video were the actual clothes she was getting in trouble for wearing then I have no idea what a woman with those curves has to wear. Yeah she looked hot in those clothes but she is completely covered up. This has a lot to do with "powerful" men's insecurities and less about "sex".

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah that woman in the video is very attractive. The thing is if the outfits in the video were the actual clothes she was getting in trouble for wearing then I have no idea what a woman with those curves has to wear. Yeah she looked hot in those clothes but she is completely covered up. This has a lot to do with "powerful" men's insecurities and less about "sex".[/QUOTE]

You should pull up some pics of the douche and his wife that happens to work in the practice with them.

[quote name='dohdough']You should pull up some pics of the douche and his wife that happens to work in the practice with them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am not above posting their pics on here either.

article-2252135-16A10265000005DC-351_634x453.jpg

After watching her talk about this I am even more pissed something like this happened. Did not realize she was married also.

I love reading some of the comments on various websites. Here is a good one.

"A non-issue. In reality, an employer can fire anyone for pretty much any reason they choose, so long as it's not discrimination. In this case, it wasn't discrimination, it was just a personal issue. The fact that it was HIS personal issue doesn't change a thing. Sure, it wasn't her fault--but he's the employer, he's not going to fire himself. What difference does it make whether he fired her because he didn't like her voice, or couldn't keep his eyes off of her? Whether he didn't like her handwriting, or the way she stacked papers? You can fire someone for any of those reasons. Let it go"

That is exactly what is being argued here dummy. Yes the Iowa Supreme Court ruled in his favor but that does not mean it was the right decision. Also it is good to know that a "personal issue" is not discrimination. What if you have a "personal issue" with minorities?

I would've posted the one with his douche bag tribal tat..heh

Would've done it myself if I didn't have to post from my tablet the for the past few days or the next for that matter.

[quote name='DietPepsi']leav the law 2 the laywer not the "armchair lawyer" that is interet slang 4 "wanabe lawyer"[/QUOTE]
For the record, my posts were informed by an actual attorney, a female attorney I might add ;)

I don't see what this douche sees in that blonde chick. Not so 'irresistible'. The one in the video though... WOAH... I can see how that could be a problem for guys lol

I completely disagree with the outcome of this case.

I also completely disagree with this woman being so irresistible as she and the media claim.

Attractive, sure. Would I hit it, sure. Is she a big deal? Nope.

I love how the male members of CAG are coming out and judging this woman to be "not irresistible" based only on her looks and without knowing anything about her personality.

Stay classy.

[quote name='UncleBob']I love how the male members of CAG are coming out and judging this woman to be "not irresistible" based only on her looks and without knowing anything about her personality.

Stay classy.[/QUOTE]

MFW+1st+Birthday.+For+your+cake_8227d2_4216836.jpg

You do realize she went to the media and was like "I'm fired because I'm so hot. I'm irresistible". Her arrogance is laughable. Most occasions when someone talks about being irresistible they are talking about looks...not about her personality or if she likes anime and lord of the rings.

[quote name='UncleBob']I love how the male members of CAG are coming out and judging this woman to be "not irresistible" based only on her looks and without knowing anything about her personality.

Stay classy.[/QUOTE]

Considering we only have her picture to judge her by it seems appropriate.

1.) Yeah, keep in mind we're talking Iowa irresistible and not Scarlett Johannsjesuschristthey'rebigandfirmandherlipsareamazingandgodddayumthatassen irresistible.

2.) Not worth screwing up your life over either way

3.) Dude, seriously, control your cock. Failing that, go rub one out if it's that bad. Now that you're set for a huge lawsuit, welcome to your forthcoming poverty. Give everything to your lady before your hygenist takes it all.

[quote name='Calipso']
You do realize she went to the media and was like "I'm fired because I'm so hot. I'm irresistible".[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to that article?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Considering we only have her picture to judge her by it seems appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Like judging Trayvon Martin by his photos. Sounds like a fair way to live your life.

[quote name='UncleBob']
Ah. Like judging Trayvon Martin by his photos. Sounds like a fair way to live your life.[/QUOTE]

Yes deciding on someones "attractiveness" based on a photo is exactly the same thing.

I guess I should feel good that I have finally been trolled by you. Makes me feel like I am truly a part of Vs now.

Again, it's male members of CAG judging a woman's attractiveness based on nothing but her looks. Bonus that the topic is one of gender discrimination.

Stay Classy.

You don't have just pictures of her, you have all the interviews she's done since the incident. Sadly, those post-incident interviews weren't possible with Trayvon.

Stay classy.[/QUOTE]

I, for one, didn't know Bob's wife read this forum.

Let that be a lesson to you. Learn something new every day.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I, for one, didn't know Bob's wife read this forum.

Let that be a lesson to you. Learn something new every day.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that slidecage?

[quote name='UncleBob']Lame jokes to cover up male insecurities and misogyny. I always figured some of you had unresolved mommy issues.[/QUOTE]

You need a reality check.

We can judge people on their looks if we want to. Welcome to how the world works. Deal with it. :lol:

I never said you cannot judge people based only on their looks. It happens all the time.

Just like how some folks judge folks based only on their looks by the color of their skin.

Go you. Be proud to be on that team.

[quote name='UncleBob']Lame jokes to cover up male insecurities and misogyny. I always figured some of you had unresolved mommy issues.[/QUOTE]

Bob. Please list 10 movies you find hilarious.

edit: Oh, and if you're going to do it, don't be all passive aggressive about it either.

bread's done
Back