The Santa's Slay Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ced

CAGiversary!
Previously on CAG: This happened.

Now for the Part XV: The Ragin' Climax!

41JYCgBdkFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just in time for the Festivus and now guaranteed to overstay its welcome like your least favorite relative, it's the Christmas edition of the wrestling thread!

Celebrate the holiday rediscovering a classic, 2005's Santa's Slay with everybody's favorite meathead and third favorite wrestling Jew (by consensus), Bill Goldberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Was Xanta Klaus to busy to make a wrestling thread appearance that you had to remind everyone of this shitfest of a movie?

[quote name='Spyder187']Really? Was Xanta Klaus to busy to make a wrestling thread appearance that you had to remind everyone of this shitfest of a movie?[/QUOTE]

Maybe we'll get the Antonio Cesaro Appreciation/Reconnaissance/Verständnis/Riconoscenza Wrestling Thread next, but in the meantime, everybody gets some shitty smelling coal for letting the prior thread survive too long.

You're Welcome.

[quote name='JJSP']Random Jewish wrestlers: Pillman, Raven, Macho, Kidman, DDP, Nash, Kane, Malenko.[/QUOTE]

That actually would have been a pretty kickass stable.

[quote name='Spyder187']Really? Was Xanta Klaus to busy to make a wrestling thread appearance that you had to remind everyone of this shitfest of a movie?[/QUOTE]

You had plenty of time to start a thread and call it whatever the fuck you wanted. Do something useful and photoshop Ryback in as Goldberg.

[quote name='JJSP']Random Jewish wrestlers: Pillman, Raven, Macho, Kidman, DDP, Nash, Kane, Malenko.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Barry Horriblewitz.

[quote name='mitch079']You had plenty of time to start a thread and call it whatever the fuck you wanted. Do something useful and photoshop Ryback in as Goldberg.[/QUOTE]

Aww I'm sorry if my criticism of Goldberg's crappy movie upset you. I mean, no, it isn't as good as any of the Hulkster's wonderful academy award winning films, but i will say it is better than perhaps anything one may see on the Lifetime Movie Network.

Also, I don't own Photoshop. If i did I would make things more original that that. I would spend my time pasting Cm Punk's "unimpressed" facial expression into random newsworthy photos as seen here.

Muhammad Hassan: Great character and heat—but WWE chose to wuss out. Probably because of Linda McMahon's impending political career. I think any other wrasslin company would relish such an opportunity.

I don't know, the backlash against them from UPN was pretty big, and they were considering giving the guy a run with the WHC before all that happened, iirc. Might've had something to do with him wanting to use WWE as a platform for his acting career as well. I think this is one of the times where the blame doesn't actually fall on the company.

I believe Hassan is a teacher now. He did an interview talking about his run as Hassan and, IIRC, mentioned he has no real desire to go back to wrestling in general.

Yeah he was a pretty bland, if not awful, wrestler from what I remember. The thing that did it was when they had him choke Undertaker with chicken wire and then hooded insurgents took him away. This was either the day of or day after the London bombings.

I went to that show so that's why I remember this. It was filmed in Sacramento on Monday and the bombing happened on Thursday, the day Smackdown normally aired. Depending on who the local affiliate was, you either got crowd shots or the segment as is with or without a little blurb scrolling on the bottom of the screen reminding the viewer the station doesn't condone terrorism in light of the London attack earlier in the day.

[quote name='Genocidal'] . . . I think this is one of the times where the blame doesn't actually fall on the company.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree. You're probably correct. And Hassan was a bit bland as a wrassler, but man, that heat. If he had been around longer, there would be a new term for X-Pac heat.

And if anyone has any interest in puro, Wrestle Kingdom 7 takes place January 4th, 2013. Here's a complete upload of Wrestle Kingdom 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyHEvL0Wb8

Could be because I'm a huge Muta fan, which was my first moniker on the Internet, but his match with Naito was pretty stellar for a dude with his injuries and at his age.

For WK7, I'm most looking forward to Tanahashi-Okada. Okada has been a breakout star in 2012. Plus, I'm pretty sure Nakamura is jobbing to Sakuraba. Ugh.

EDIT: Something funky is happening with the spoiler tag for the video.

The original idea for Hassan was great, but WWE did indeed "wuss out," by having him just start being a modern version of any 80's foreign heel. I guess I can understand some people in the company being worried that a character who made the fans the xenophobic heels is a bit high concept, but that doesn't mean I have to like them giving up on it.

His in-ring skills were mostly irrelevant. He was competent enough. That's all that matters.

I wouldn't say it's "high concept," but knowing enough about xenophobia/racism, it would have simply exposed a lot of the covert racism in society. Perhaps not on a grand scale so as to change social paradigms, but undoubtedly enough to scare the bejeesus out of advertisers for being associated with a company.

Advertisers, I think many of us are reluctant to admit, have a greater impact on the quality of the program than we do as fans.

They had a window of opportunity to play Hassan off differently with the vignettes that portrayed him and Daivari as Americans from Minnesota being discriminated against because of their Arab backgrounds. I would wager a guess that creative couldn't think of how to portray him as a proper heel with that persona, thus the decision to go with the standard topical xenophobe gimmick and the rest is history.

First a disclaimer, I didn't see much if any of Hassan's run as it happened. Somewhat ironically, I was in the Marine Corps at the time and didn't feel like paying for cable in the barracks. I also spent a big chunk of 2005 in Iraq. I actually joined CAG pretty much right when I came back.

Anyhow, I think the fact that we were involved in wars with actual killing and associated unpleasantness was a major factor in pulling the plug on Hassan's run. It was one thing to have a Soviet badguy stomp around in 1985 when the extent of US involvement with the USSR consisted of negotions with Gorbachev and supplying weapons to the Muj in Afghanistan. It was another matter when contractors were getting kidnapped, executed on the internet and the like.

Like ced mentioned though, the real opportunity was lost when they stopped trying to portray them as Americans who just happen to be the same color as some of the people we've been fighting in the Middle East. I mean, presumably people chanted "USA, USA" against them. I would've loved to see them go up against a Canadian team, hear the USA chants and say, "you must be chanting for us because we're from Minnesota".

I wasn't aware this was a taped show. Good to know, can just read it now and skip this thing. EDIT - just flipped it on for a second, and holy shit did the crowd noise on that Kane/Bryan sound phony,

[quote name='mykevermin']I wouldn't say it's "high concept,"[/QUOTE]

Not exactly setting the bar high, but compared to Big Show & William Regal peeing on each other and Triple H racist jokes and whatever else they had going on at the time, it's brilliance.

------------

There's a house show here on Wednesday. Despite not being too impressed with the shows lately I'm sort of tempted to go, seems like a holiday show might be fun. The NAO are apparently going to be there, which should make sure the crowd is awake.

Oh, and Merry Christmas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsZaJqiyE54

[quote name='KaneRobot']
There's a house show here on Wednesday. Despite not being too impressed with the shows lately I'm sort of tempted to go, seems like a holiday show might be fun. The NAO are apparently going to be there, which should make sure the crowd is awake.[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief, WWE house shows are actually quite good. The only shitty thing about the one you may go to is the fact that the WWE Champeen will not be in action.

[quote name='HydroX']Contrary to popular belief, WWE house shows are actually quite good. The only shitty thing about the one you may go to is the fact that the WWE Champeen will not be in action.[/QUOTE]

I havent been to a house show in years, but when I did they were always better than any tv taping or PPV I have been too.

[quote name='Demolition Man']WWE 13 is $39.99 right now on BestBuy.com which is still too much for my tastes.[/QUOTE]

I kind of think that is a good price. Started it the other day and am enjoying the attitude era mode bringing back a lot of great memories.

[quote name='Aldogg']I kind of think that is a good price. Started it the other day and am enjoying the attitude era mode bringing back a lot of great memories.[/QUOTE]

$25 on Black friday was a perfect price point for me.

And so it has begun...in WWE 13. Someone found a way to add real life portrait pics to CAWs just like last year. So far the only one that's on CC is Great Muta.

mutav.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back