Photo
- - - - -

Best place to get PS3 reliably repaired?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

a friend of mine gave me his old PS3 that he told me was YLODing, that he just got tired of fixing over and over, so he got a new one. this one is backwards-compatible (80GB, 4 USB ports, model CECHE), so i understandably don't want to get rid of it.

anyways, glad to even have my own ps3, i did the hairdryer trick numerous times, but the most recent time, it didn't work. i couldn't even get the red light showing the main power was on, so i have no idea what to do, other than it's probably something w/ the motherboard. what are some good sites/places that i can go to before sony to try and get it fixed? i never knew about being able to back up games to a flashdrive, so i'd lose any files on my HDD if i swap parts, unfortunately

things i've done so far-
sent an email to different GameStop stores. they don't do repairs there at all
i found out about http://www.gophermods.com/ and looked into that. if it's reliable, i'll get the free diagnostic, then see what can be done about it

so, any suggestions that'll be less than the $150 from sony?

#2 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I've heard good things about Gopher Mods. It was started by some college kids and they ended up going full time with it since it's been so successful.

http://www.yelp.com/...ods-minneapolis

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#3 GuyManDude

GuyManDude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

I've heard really good things about Gophermods. They have a YLOD repair service that costs $70 + shipping, or you can get a pre-paid shipping label which brings the cost to $84.

They send the unit back and refund your payment minus return shipping ($12.50) if they can't fix it.

They also have dust cleaning and other "mods" that improve system cooling.

Good luck!

#4 IceColdKilla44

IceColdKilla44

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'd highly recommend Endless Electronics. They're EXTREMELY fast and very reliable. Plus their Customer Service is very good.

I first heard about them because they had a very good reputation on the Playstation forums, not only for their YLOD repairing services but ALSO their optional upgrades. In addition to fixing your YLOD, you can ask them to upgrade the internal components of your PS3 to make it cooler and run more quietly (resulting in a better gaming experience for you). I had them do this to my 60gb PS3 and couldn't be happier with it; it runs better than it ever has!

But even if you choose just to get that YLOD fixed, they do a really good job on that too. They have some really useful info on their website explaining why their YLOD repair is MUCH better than just a temporary fix you can get at any store.Their pricing was pretty low back in June when I got mine fixed, and I suspect that they're pretty good. I'd recommend checking them out.

#5 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

hrm. right now i'm mixed between Gophermods or Endless Electronics. at Gophermods, the inspection is free, but the no-power repair is $70. I'm not sure how broad their no-power coverage is, because the problem is likely coming from the motherboard, not the PSU. with Endless Electronics, it's $30 just to get it looked at, but then the pricing on top of that would bring it to $80 total.

I've looked up reviews, and most preferred Gophermods over Endless Electronics. does anyone have experience with both companies, or others that may be better?

#6 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

Why not just do it yourself ?

ifixit.com

;) its worth it, and being a cheapass makes the deal even better.

#7 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Why not just do it yourself ?

ifixit.com

;) its worth it, and being a cheapass makes the deal even better.

hrm, need to see if i can get my hands on a multimeter so i can test if the PSU is getting power. if it isn't, then i need to find out how to check the power inlet before buying a new one

anybody know how i could test the power inlet or the logic board fuses? all i could find online was testing the PSU itself

Edited by origamifreak92, 23 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#8 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

well, it looks like fixing it is beyond what i can do at home. right now i'm thinking gophermods one i save up enough

#9 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

@iKilledChebacca- i looked at the link you gave me, and in the end i couldn't get any of the solutions to work, so it's beyond home repairs, since i know zilch about soldering ps3s together :P

#10 jcmmnx

jcmmnx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

With a $25 heat gun and a tube of artic silver you can fix it yourself. I have an og PS3 and I 've done this fix twice the first time it lasted 6 months+ and right now it's been going 8 months.

I'd say just watch a few vids and for about 35 bucks if you do it right you should only have to it once or twice per year. It's worth it imo to have a system that can play PS1, PS2, PS3, and blue ray all in one.

#11 jcmmnx

jcmmnx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

@iKilledChebacca- i looked at the link you gave me, and in the end i couldn't get any of the solutions to work, so it's beyond home repairs, since i know zilch about soldering ps3s together :P

You clean the old paste off, heat up the board and put the new paste on. The trick to get your system to run for a while in my case has been don't let the heat sinks with the new paste on them move or slide around as your putting the system back together.

In my ylod case I didn't have solder anything.

#12 bossman

bossman

Like a Boss

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

If you have one near you, I think play n trade has a 90 day repair warranty. Not sure on their prices though.

#13 Jaggsta

Jaggsta

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

a friend of mine gave me his old PS3 that he told me was YLODing, that he just got tired of fixing over and over, so he got a new one. this one is backwards-compatible (80GB, 4 USB ports, model CECHE), so i understandably don't want to get rid of it.

anyways, glad to even have my own ps3, i did the hairdryer trick numerous times, but the most recent time, it didn't work. i couldn't even get the red light showing the main power was on, so i have no idea what to do, other than it's probably something w/ the motherboard. what are some good sites/places that i can go to before sony to try and get it fixed? i never knew about being able to back up games to a flashdrive, so i'd lose any files on my HDD if i swap parts, unfortunately

things i've done so far-
sent an email to different GameStop stores. they don't do repairs there at all
i found out about http://www.gophermods.com/ and looked into that. if it's reliable, i'll get the free diagnostic, then see what can be done about it

so, any suggestions that'll be less than the $150 from sony?

Why didn't your friend do temp fix then trade it at gamestop toward new Ps3 they give like $100-120 for used Ps3.

#14 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

I've tried all the fixes i could do by myself, including replacing the thermal paste. right now i'm out of ideas, so i'm just finding a place to get it professionally repaired, because after 2 attempts and it still not working, i can't fix it

Why didn't your friend do temp fix then trade it at gamestop toward new Ps3 they give like $100-120 for used Ps3.

i have no idea, but hey, at least he found a use for it! :D

#15 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you're not even getting the red led when you plug it I, you may have damaged the wire connecting the power board. This happened to me the first time I took my ps3 apart, I wound up pinching the wire when I put the thing back together. It's a $5 part on ebay, might be worth looking at that before a new power supply.

#16 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

If you're not even getting the red led when you plug it I, you may have damaged the wire connecting the power board. This happened to me the first time I took my ps3 apart, I wound up pinching the wire when I put the thing back together. It's a $5 part on ebay, might be worth looking at that before a new power supply.

sadly, if that were the case for me, the wire would somehow unfortunately be pinched inside the power inlet. when i put it all back together and didn't get any signs of life, i took it apart to check if all was well, and as far as being put together, it was. i know it's not the PSU because i didn't mess with it at all (removing aside) the time it died. do you have thoughts on if/how i can check that part? i don't know anyone who has an original ps3 that i could try part swapping, so that's sadly out. i also managed to find a second power cord, but still zilch

another thought-could part of the stubbornness be from the battery that keeps time and date being loose? it's rather dubious, but would it do anything for some odd reason?

#17 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

does anyone wave any kind of experience with Micro Center as far as price vs quality and reliability? that would have the quickest delivery time, seeing how it's like a 20 minute walk from college

#18 Miranda

Miranda

about.me/adnarim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

What you could also try is search the services section of Craigslist for people that do these kinds of repairs locally. If they post their business names or URLs, you could check and see if they have any reviews on Yelp.

#19 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

well, i'm sending in the request and i'll be sending my ps3 off to gophermods. pray for the best!

#20 origamifreak92

origamifreak92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Gophermods had a look at it, and the whole thing is kaput; nothing they tried worked. Well, now I know another thing to save up for over the summer.