Photo
- - - - -

GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08 50% Off Strategy Guides, Skylanders Deals, Price Drops, more

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#91 Ravenduo

Ravenduo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Picked up Borderlands 2 and Hitman:Absolution CE. Awesome!

#92 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Grabbed a MP3, ME3 and RE6 guide for about $16.xx. Not bad considering I never have any luck when guides are pennied in my area.

#93 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Thanks OP; used a $10 off PUR coupon and got AC3, Borderlands 2, and Soul Calibur 5 guides for about $32 out of pocket. All hardbound CE guides as well (the only kinds I like).

ach.png

#94 knight19

knight19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Grabbed a MP3, ME3 and RE6 guide for about $16.xx. Not bad considering I never have any luck when guides are pennied in my area.

Are the guides actually more than 50% off? I thought those three were all $20 MSRP (i.e. $10 each at 50% off)?

#95 Pounce!

Pounce!

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Damn, got RE6 SG 31 days ago. $5 back missed. (DOA5 still possible)

#96 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Are the guides actually more than 50% off? I thought those three were all $20 MSRP (i.e. $10 each at 50% off)?

GS is selling them right now below MSRP. Before discount:

MP3 $9.99
RE6 $9.99
ME3 $14.99

And you get an extra 10% off the price after the 50% discount if you have a PUR card.

#97 knight19

knight19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

GS is selling them right now below MSRP. Before discount:

MP3 $9.99
RE6 $9.99
ME3 $14.99

And you get an extra 10% off the price after the 50% discount if you have a PUR card.

Ok - thanks for the clarification! :)

#98 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

He isn't trying to cheat you. Merchandise that doesn't sell is "pennied out" in the system: inventory drops the item's price to a penny, which is a way of telling whether or not a certain product has been discontinued. Gamestop has an agreement with most publishers that dictates they'll get a credit for destroying those items.

You know how books have a message on one of the first couple of pages about it being stolen if it has a torn cover? A book is stripped in order to mark it as unsellable. That's what penny guides are, essentially: everything that's "pennied out" is reported as "unsold and destroyed," so Gamestop has to throw it out to keep up its end of the bargain.

Thanks. Been doing penny guides for quite a while now, so didn't need the whole explanation. My point was that it's useless for GS to keep guides in the back. You may detract penny transactions, but you will not sell any at retail price either.

Most stores have them on the floor (as it should be), but a few keep 'all' of them in the back room.

You can also tell me that all GS destroy all penny guides the minute they're pennied, but I also know that's not true. It all depends on the employees, and given how shady they can be (at times), I know there're many back rooms full of them.

#99 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Is there a physical ad anywhere? I want to PM this at Walmart.

#100 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Got Pokemon Black 2 Guide Volume 1 for $9. The book is huge.

I preordered anarchy reigns for next tuesday but a coworker of mine was telling me about how good wwe 13 is. My question is, do I get anarchy reigns or go for wwe 13? I know very little of anarchy reigns other than a trailer that Ive seen.

#101 mattcube64

mattcube64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Posted Image

Woo! Thanks, OP!

You should have went back and waved it in that chick's face.....and, waved the cash in her face, too!

I came here b/c I was sick of low trade-in prices.

#102 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

I preordered anarchy reigns for next tuesday but a coworker of mine was telling me about how good wwe 13 is. My question is, do I get anarchy reigns or go for wwe 13? I know very little of anarchy reigns other than a trailer that Ive seen.

Well the game is a GS exclusive so if it's anything like Xenoblade Chronicles, it will be really rare in less than a year. Here's a 30 minute video of Two Best Friends (NSFW language) playing the import version last month:

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#103 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Only thing stopping me from getting the new Skyrim guide and selling my hardcover is that guide is already delisted in the GS system and I can almost bet there will be a 3rd version of the guide whenever Skyrim GotY comes out.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#104 minusthemike

minusthemike

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Picked up the revised Skyrim guide. This thing is HUGE! (That's what she said.)

#105 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Well the game is a GS exclusive so if it's anything like Xenoblade Chronicles, it will be really rare in less than a year. Here's a 30 minute video of Two Best Friends (NSFW language) playing the import version last month:

Funny video. From what I watched from there and a quick video review, im not really feeling the game, even if Bayonetta (:drool::drool::drool:) is in it. Might just get wwe 13

#106 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Well the game is a GS exclusive so if it's anything like Xenoblade Chronicles, it will be really rare in less than a year.

Anarchy Reigns is not a Gamestop exclusive. The Bayonetta pre-order DLC is, but not the game itself.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#107 likeme

likeme

LOVE ME SOME RPG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Only thing stopping me from getting the new Skyrim guide and selling my hardcover is that guide is already delisted in the GS system and I can almost bet there will be a 3rd version of the guide whenever Skyrim GotY comes out.

My thoughts as well. The employee told me they will probably come out with a new one with the new DLC

#108 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Get both, WWE doesn't drop often and there's a demo on the Japanese PSN for Anarchy Reigns if you want.

#109 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

Anarchy Reigns is not a Gamestop exclusive. The Bayonetta pre-order DLC is, but not the game itself.

My bad but to be fair, BB is the only other B&M that's carrying it according to Google Shopping. It's going to be fairly hard to find in a year still.

42869.png

#110 snatcher33

snatcher33

Marry me Jenny!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Snagged 9 guides today including a few CE and WWE13. Like others have posted, the guides were in the back. Employee printed out a list, gave me a highlighter and told me to mark any that I want. Very painless process. The guy said that corporate told them about a year ago to get rid of the turnstyles, he had no clue why????
Posted Image

#111 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

My bad but to be fair, BB is the only other B&M that's carrying it according to Google Shopping. It's going to be fairly hard to find in a year still.

its also on amazon. The way I see it. MSRP for that is $30, and from what Ive heard wwe games are just like anime games and nintendo games, they take FOREVER to drop in price or have a sale.

#112 Psychonik

Psychonik

Psychomancer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Sniper V2 for PS3.sold put out already? here's to hoping they restock.

#113 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

Trying to find a guide (or anything worth a damn, for that matter) to get me over $24.99 for free shipping. Sitting at $21 right now, considering just ordering two of the same guide (Guild Wars 2) just to get me free shipping. lol

#114 Squall_L_FF8

Squall_L_FF8

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I got the Soul Calibur V, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead of Alive 5, and Final Fantasy 13-2 guides all for $20.24. The best deal was the Soul Calibur V guide which was $2.25.

Afterwards I went to another store and saw they had a Street Fighter x Tekken guide. The price tag was ripped off. So I asked them what the price was. They told me it was free which was why the tag was ripped off. Good thing it was free because I completely forgot I already had that guide.

#115 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Had the same issue. I know they're trying to deter penny guide pick-ups, but how do they expect to move any of this merchandise if it's not on the floor?
He even went through the trouble of telling me: 'Anything that's a penny, we don't have'. Yeah, right...got you.

Would anybody who knows anything about this nonsense care to chime in?

I'm sure it's a space issue and not some larger conspiracy dude :roll:

#116 likeme

likeme

LOVE ME SOME RPG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

I got the Soul Calibur V, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead of Alive 5, and Final Fantasy 13-2 guides all for $20.24. The best deal was the Soul Calibur V guide which was $2.25.

Afterwards I went to another store and saw they had a Street Fighter x Tekken guide. The price tag was ripped off. So I asked them what the price was. They told me it was free which was why the tag was ripped off. Good thing it was free because I completely forgot I already had that guide.

How much was Final Fantasy 13-2

#117 Squall_L_FF8

Squall_L_FF8

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

How much was Final Fantasy 13-2

It was $6.75. I got the regular guide because I didn't care for the extras from the premium guide.

#118 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I picked up five guides with the 50% off promo: Darksiders II, Call of Duty: BO2 (CE), Halo 4 (CE), Pokemon B&W2 (CE), and Pokemon B&W2 Unova Pokedex Vol. 2.

Question, though: The pokedex looks pretty complete, so why is it the second volume? Is there a reason I should seek out the first volume?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was able to get the single Kingdoms of Amalur guide at the store I visited; it was sitting on the shelf with everything else and when the employee scanned it, he just gave it to me.

Edited by Vigilante, 03 January 2013 - 05:38 AM.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Braid; Bulletstorm; MGS2 HD [Snake Tales]  :vita: Limbo; Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [7/10]: :vita: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (4.5/5)

Last Watched Film [7/10]: One Piece: Strong World (superb animation, awesome battles)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#119 ShadowAsylum

ShadowAsylum

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am mad, I have been wanting to buy the Soul Calibur V strategy guide for quite a while. I had kept putting it off(for some reason unknown to myself), but I decided I was going to finally get it at $2.50. It was nowhere to be found. :( It either was sold yesterday at half price, or sold sometime in the last week or 2 at $5 since I had last been in there.

#120 Bleedingwickedly

Bleedingwickedly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Took a 30 minute drive yesterday to get the Boredlands 2 CE guide. Almost got Black Ops2 and Hitmam both CE, but decided to pass. Might goto my local store this weekend and see what they have in stock. I refuse to buy anything other than HardCover guides, especially with young kids in the house. Anyone suggest any guides worth picking up.

Btw would the BoredLands 2 Art Book be 50% off? On GameStop's website it's listed under guides.