PS3 USB Ultra Power Hub $13, PS Vita Media Stand $5 @ Bestbuy.com

[quote name='Francision']Is the USB hub worth it?[/QUOTE]

I would say yes due to the extra USB cables included. I was going to buy this, but I already have two USB cables along with the PS3 charger so I'm set.

What I want is a nice USB hub for the PS3 itself. I have a Move and DS3 charging stand already, plus the old AC USB adapter Sony made with 2 USB ports. The issue I have is wireless pereipherals that use dongles.

I am looking at your plastic instruments and PS3 Eye...

I know I can use almost any USB hub out there for this, but I want one that looks nice and matches the PS3. Any opinions?

[quote name='Saix_XIII']What I want is a nice USB hub for the PS3 itself. I have a Move and DS3 charging stand already, plus the old AC USB adapter Sony made with 2 USB ports. The issue I have is wireless pereipherals that use dongles.

I am looking at your plastic instruments and PS3 Eye...

I know I can use almost any USB hub out there for this, but I want one that looks nice and matches the PS3. Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

Something like this might meet your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/POWER-Media-E...F8&qid=1356883670&sr=8-3&keywords=ps3+usb+hub

I don't have it myself, but it has great reviews. There are plenty of similar options out there too.

The issue with that one is it really only adds 2 USB ports for a total of 4 over the 2 I have. Not terrible, but not really worth the $12 IMO.

Can the hub be used as a stand alone charger or does it have to be connected to the PS3? I would like to put that on my table next to my chair to keep the controllers at arms length if possible. It looks like it will work stand alone but the description doesn't really specify nor do any of the reviews.

it looks like it could connect to anything, as i usually charge my controllers at my laptop table.
also yeah, cheapy d always hates on ps3 controllers cuz they don't have replaceable batteries, but i have had nothing but positive experiences with the dual shock 3's. I know lots of 360 friends that run out of batteries and are screwed, but as long as you have 2 ds3s you should be good. thnx op

[quote name='ohscaryone']Can the hub be used as a stand alone charger or does it have to be connected to the PS3? I would like to put that on my table next to my chair to keep the controllers at arms length if possible. It looks like it will work stand alone but the description doesn't really specify nor do any of the reviews.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing it does since it comes with an AC adapter. You could always return it to Best Buy if it doesn't work as planned.

[quote name='htz']I'm guessing it does since it comes with an AC adapter. You could always return it to Best Buy if it doesn't work as planned.[/QUOTE]

I bought one today and tried it. It does not charge the controllers with the wall adapter plugged in by itself. Just an FYI if anyone else was wanting it as a stand alone charger for controllers and phones etc.

[quote name='Velo214']wait what's the point of the wall adapter if it doesn't charge on its own?[/QUOTE]

No clue. I was able to charge the phone but the controller wouldn't work in any of the USB slots so I packed it back up and will be returning when I go back into town. My hope was to have an all in one charger on the table so I didn't have to get my lazy butt off the chair when I am playing games/watching TV.

[quote name='Velo214']wait what's the point of the wall adapter if it doesn't charge on its own?[/QUOTE]

umm agreed. Are you sure yours isn't just defective? It clearly states in the features that its supposed to charge/let you use controllers and stuff like that wen plugged in

This seems utterly pointless if it doesn't charge when plugged in

Was really interested in the charger because I got a official bluetooth PS3 mic which uses the same charging cable as the controllers and I am constantly unplugging it to plug in other stuff. Ugh, if the PS3 just had ONE more USB port.

But it seems I'll wait after hearing these posts.

well i already ordered for instore pickup. if it doesn't charge off the wall/ac adaptor i will bring it back tho, cuz that's kinda pointless. i guess i could have it hooked into ps3 always, but that looks a lil ghetto. idk, but why would they pack it if it didnt do anything. i bet you got a defective one and should return/replace it, but thanks for the heads up. now i won't let it sit there for months without trying it out.

Well guess we'll have to see how it works when it gets here, im having it shipped to me even though its avalible for in store pickup.

Just a heads up, that media stands kinda worthless but it seems to have one of the official vita screen wipes. Which if they're like the PSP ones are VERY nice high quality microfiber cloths.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Well guess we'll have to see how it works when it gets here, im having it shipped to me even though its avalible for in store pickup.

Just a heads up, that media stands kinda worthless but it seems to have one of the official vita screen wipes. Which if they're like the PSP ones are VERY nice high quality microfiber cloths.[/QUOTE]
I ordered the media stand bundle mainly for the wrist strap. I already have the official vita cradle so no need for the stand.

[quote name='Velo214']well i already ordered for instore pickup. if it doesn't charge off the wall/ac adaptor i will bring it back tho, cuz that's kinda pointless. i guess i could have it hooked into ps3 always, but that looks a lil ghetto. idk, but why would they pack it if it didnt do anything. i bet you got a defective one and should return/replace it, but thanks for the heads up. now i won't let it sit there for months without trying it out.[/QUOTE]

Try it out and let me know. I have 30 days to return so if yours works Ill do an exchange instead of refund.

Anyone who has the PS3 hub it does connect to the PS3 right? I see it has 4 ports on the front, but does it have one on the rear to use to connect to the PS3 itself? I have a hub on my slim I use to plug in flash drives with video to watch on my PS3 this one looks nicer and matches the slim I don't care about it charging stuff off the outlet.

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']Anyone who has the PS3 hub it does connect to the PS3 right? I see it has 4 ports on the front, but does it have one on the rear to use to connect to the PS3 itself? I have a hub on my slim I use to plug in flash drives with video to watch on my PS3 this one looks nicer and matches the slim I don't care about it charging stuff off the outlet.[/QUOTE]

how else would it connect to the ps3?!?!

I bought the USB hub. I have 2 10' cords that have stopped working, so this hub will be helpful to charge a bunch of my controllers at once plus provide me with additional cables.

It should charge PS3 controllers off a wall outlet. The "problem" is that the DualShock lights don't turn on unless they're connected to a device that responds back to them (IE a PS3 or PC), but something that provides only an electrical connection should still charge it, you just can't see it happening.

[quote name='shadowkast']how else would it connect to the ps3?!?![/QUOTE]

I mean does it have a separate 5th USB port on the back of it separate from the 4 in the front that is used to connect it to the PS3 with a regular USB cable. If you have to use one of 4 in the front to connect it to the PS3 then you end up with only 3 free ports which doesn't do me any good.

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']I mean does it have a separate 5th USB port on the back of it separate from the 4 in the front that is used to connect it to the PS3 with a regular USB cable. If you have to use one of 4 in the front to connect it to the PS3 then you end up with only 3 free ports which doesn't do me any good.[/QUOTE]

seriously, click the link, scan the pictures

[quote name='Psybuster']It should charge PS3 controllers off a wall outlet. The "problem" is that the DualShock lights don't turn on unless they're connected to a device that responds back to them (IE a PS3 or PC), but something that provides only an electrical connection should still charge it, you just can't see it happening.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for explaining that. That's probably why people are returning the power hub and thinking it's defective. I bought one today to charge some of my handheld devices and it works fine.

Only thing I don't like is the length of the ac power cord, which is too short for my particular setup.

Ugh. A little too late for the hub.

I have been using an old Motorola usb wall charger from the old phones. We have tons of them. I have it to charge my PS3 headset. I wanted to use it to charge the controller too, but didn't think it worked since the lights never came on. Funny how the headset's red light comes on but the controller's light doesn't.

[quote name='bruceg']Thanks for explaining that. That's probably why people are returning the power hub and thinking it's defective. I bought one today to charge some of my handheld devices and it works fine.

Only thing I don't like is the length of the ac power cord, which is too short for my particular setup.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but do you mean that this hub is capable of charging your devices when plugged into an outlet, even when the PS3's off?

I'd really like to get this hub to charge my headset, 3D glasses and other accessories (not controllers). If this works for those then I'll gladly pick it up.

[quote name='IceColdKilla44']Sorry for reviving an old thread, but do you mean that this hub is capable of charging your devices when plugged into an outlet, even when the PS3's off?

I'd really like to get this hub to charge my headset, 3D glasses and other accessories (not controllers). If this works for those then I'll gladly pick it up.[/QUOTE]

A post up above said it may be charging the controllers but not turning the lights on while doing so. I can't verify that statement but charging my phone worked fine with it.

Plugged my PS3 hub in today and it works great. I'm running 2 wired controllers, a BT headset, and a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle off of it. The non-powered one I had before would disconnect/reconnect constantly. This one appears to work as you would expect it to.

but you do need to plug both the ac adapter and the ps3 to the hub at the same time for it to work? seems like a waste of an outlet for me almost...

[quote name='Velo214']but you do need to plug both the ac adapter and the ps3 to the hub at the same time for it to work? seems like a waste of an outlet for me almost...[/QUOTE]

yup you need to have the ps3 connected and the outlet adapter connected in order for the hub to work. just to let people know too the ac adapter wire is pretty short i made it work with my setup, but you might find it annoying if you plan to have the hub right by your PS3 with no outlet nearby.

Yeah, it's really annoying that the ac adapter is so short -- you think they would have made it at least the length of the other ps3 cords.

So I got the adaptor, and I'm a little underwhelmed with it. I expected this to be something that I could use to charge my accessories while my PS3 was turned off.

But results are mixed. It does charge my Bluetooth Headset (The Official PS3 one, for those wondering), and it also charges my Panasonic 3D glasses.

However, it does not charge my PS3 controller, Move controller, Navigation controller, PS3 Wireless Keypad, iPhone, or PS Vita.

I also noticed someone earlier suggested that even though my device may not respond to the hub while connected, it is still being charged. So to test this, I took my iPhone and connected it. No response, as expected. Then, I looked at the battery percentage. It was 90%. I let it sit there for a couple minutes and came back to check the battery percentage again. It was 87%. So I don't think this hub is charging devices that don't respond to it.

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about how it works when only connected to an outlet (while the PS3 is off). Everything works just fine when the PS3 is turned on. It basically adds more available USB ports to your PS3, but that's not necessary for me. I think I'll return this thing tomorrow.

Hope this was able to help anyone looking for more info on this thing.

It doesn't charge your iphone cause Apple made sure that you can only charge from a certain voltage that the iphone registers so everytime a new phone comes out you have to buy a new adapter and/or charger from apple. It does charge your ps3 controllers. If you have a iphone 4 and jailbroke it you could get a app called esupported which if utilized would enable the charging of the phone through 3rd party usb chargers.

[quote name='sparklecopy']It doesn't charge your iphone cause Apple made sure that you can only charge from a certain voltage that the iphone registers so everytime a new phone comes out you have to buy a new adapter and/or charger from apple.[/QUOTE]

That's weird, because we have charged our iPhones (3GS and a 4) with a variety of USB chargers including 3rd party generic ones, and never had a problem.

bread's done
Back