out of harddrive space

camelking6969

CAG Newbie
was wondering what i can do
option 1 is to trade and go with bigger ps3, like the 250 or the 500
option 2 is to buy a external harddrive

was just wondering are external hard drives, plug and play or do i have to format

i cant figure out how i used up so much space. i dont download games. i just went through all my games and downloaded all free dlc. but most of that was 100 kb .
thank you for any help

Some games install to the HD automatically before you play them the first time. If you are done with those games, go through and delete all that data. These games can take up 6 - 10 gigs each.

Just find a good sized HDD for a decent price on Amazon or Newegg. Swapping out drives on a ps3 is pretty easy, and basically only takes a few button presses and taking out a few screws.

I got a 640GB drive two years ago for $50 on Newegg, much cheaper than buying a new ps3... Especially when it's just for the HDD.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Some games install to the HD automatically before you play them the first time. If you are done with those games, go through and delete all that data. These games can take up 6 - 10 gigs each.[/QUOTE]
do i go to game data utility or saved data utility

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Game data, but check both.[/QUOTE]
thank you, really dont want to go through the hastle of trading in for another systym, and no time to work on putting another harddrive in it

Just as an FYI - an external hard drive can't be used to install/play games, so the only benefit it would provide is media (movies, music, picture) storage space.

[quote name='waldo21212']Just as an FYI - an external hard drive can't be used to install/play games, so the only benefit it would provide is media (movies, music, picture) storage space.[/QUOTE]

crap, was hoping it would do that. oh well thanks for the info

[quote name='camelking6969']thank you, really dont want to go through the hastle of trading in for another systym, and no time to work on putting another harddrive in it[/QUOTE]

It's simpler than you might think, and then you never have to worry about it again. It literally only takes 5 minutes to swap them out, and an hour or so each for the system backup/restore. You don't need to be around for either of those, though... Just a couple of button presses and the PS3 does it for you while you do something else.

Does anyone here think it's necessary to have an HDD larger than 500GB for the PS3? I had resolved to get a 1TB HDD, but now that I think about it, I don't think I need all that space. A 500GB should be large enough to store 10-15 retail downloads plus numerous PSN downloads, right?

[quote name='RCS0926']Does anyone here think it's necessary to have an HDD larger than 500GB for the PS3? I had resolved to get a 1TB HDD, but now that I think about it, I don't think I need all that space. A 500GB should be large enough to store 10-15 retail downloads plus numerous PSN downloads, right?[/QUOTE]

More than enough space. Typically most retail downloads are in the 4-6 GB range, with some exceptions ranging in the 10-12 GB range.

OP, replacing an entire PS3 just because the HDD is out of room is a pretty big waste. I'm not good at messing around with electronics, and I was able to swap out my PS3s hard drive in about 5 minutes using a guide I looked up through Google. Just be sure to use the right size screwdriver. Most small computer repair kits should have the right size.

[quote name='RCS0926']Does anyone here think it's necessary to have an HDD larger than 500GB for the PS3? I had resolved to get a 1TB HDD, but now that I think about it, I don't think I need all that space. A 500GB should be large enough to store 10-15 retail downloads plus numerous PSN downloads, right?[/QUOTE]
Definitely go with the 1TB, especially if you have PS+. The difference in cost is negligible, so why wouldn't you?

I installed a 1TB drive in July and have already used around 400-500 GB of it. I'd be kicking myself right now if I would have settled for a 500GB drive.

The easiest way is to just delete the installed content of prior games that you won't be replaying for a long time, if ever. That's what I do, at least.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']More than enough space. Typically most retail downloads are in the 4-6 GB range, with some exceptions ranging in the 10-12 GB range.

OP, replacing an entire PS3 just because the HDD is out of room is a pretty big waste. I'm not good at messing around with electronics, and I was able to swap out my PS3s hard drive in about 5 minutes using a guide I looked up through Google. Just be sure to use the right size screwdriver. Most small computer repair kits should have the right size.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll definitely consider a 500GB HDD when I'm ready to upgrade. I might be convinced to get a 750GB HDD if there is a minimal price difference ($10 or so).

[quote name='camelking6969']thank you, really dont want to go through the hastle of trading in for another systym, and no time to work on putting another harddrive in it[/QUOTE]

its EZ as having S.E.X and the same time too like 3 or 5 minutes tops :lol:

[quote name='ID2006']The easiest way is to just delete the installed content of prior games that you won't be replaying for a long time, if ever. That's what I do, at least.[/QUOTE]

That's how I see it as well. I don't see a need to keep games on my HDD that I'm not currently playing. Still, if a great deal on a 1TB HDD came up, I'd certainly bite. Right now, I've got my eye on the WD Scorpio Blue HDDs. There's only a $10 difference right now between the 500GB and 750GB drives. However, the $35 difference between the 500GB and 1TB HDDs is enough to make me think twice.

[quote name='RCS0926']Thanks. I'll definitely consider a 500GB HDD when I'm ready to upgrade. I might be convinced to get a 750GB HDD if there is a minimal price difference ($10 or so).[/QUOTE]

if your a gamer like me then will need a 1TB HDD I Have 95GB or less on my 500GB

How exactly do you "backup"? Is that some sort of cloud thing, or how do you otherwise get your drive content to the new drive?

[quote name='crunchewy']How exactly do you "backup"? Is that some sort of cloud thing, or how do you otherwise get your drive content to the new drive?[/QUOTE]
You use an external HDD, connect it via USB and go the menu to backup data... It takes a while to backup if you have a lot of stuff.

I upgraded to 1T a while back. Backing up and restoring data took a while, other than that, it's very easy.

To add to what Serpentor said:

Some protected save files can't be backed up with that method, in which case the only way to backup that save data is by using PS+; if you have a 30-day free trial code laying around, this would be the time to use it.

Also, some games have weird ways of storing your save data.. I'm looking at you, LittleBigPlanet series. If you don't want to lose that save data, I suggest doing a quick google on backing up that save data first.. I sure wish I would have, but instead I have to play through all of LBP2's story again. If I remember correctly, your save data is stored in the game data (installation data) until you do a backup in-game. If you're doing a complete system backup/restore, it might not matter, but in my case, I deleted game installation data beforehand so that my backup would fit on my tiny external HDD (SD card).

[quote name='Serpentor']You use an external HDD, connect it via USB and go the menu to backup data... It takes a while to backup if you have a lot of stuff.

I upgraded to 1T a while back. Backing up and restoring data took a while, other than that, it's very easy.[/QUOTE]

What gets backed up exactly? I know that games saves and game data is backed up, but what about digital game downloads? I'd hate to have to download all my games again, although to be honest, I probably have less than 80GB of games on my stock PS3 HDD.

[quote name='Josh1billion']Definitely go with the 1TB, especially if you have PS+. The difference in cost is negligible, so why wouldn't you?

I installed a 1TB drive in July and have already used around 400-500 GB of it. I'd be kicking myself right now if I would have settled for a 500GB drive.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I bought a 1TB during Black Friday on Newegg and after installing everything and all the PS+ content we get I think I've already used 200-250 GB and not everything is back on there yet. I have to re-download some items and haven't put in any of my Blu-Rays to see if they need to be installed.

[quote name='Cleaner7']I completely agree. I bought a 1TB during Black Friday on Newegg and after installing everything and all the PS+ content we get I think I've already used 200-250 GB and not everything is back on there yet. I have to re-download some items and haven't put in any of my Blu-Rays to see if they need to be installed.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll see. I just got my PS+ sub last month, so I haven't accumulated a lot of digital downloads yet. However, since I'm not going to be ready to get a new HDD for another month or two, I guess I'll see what comes down the pipe with regards to the free PS+ games.

Can you backup directly to the new drive, then put that drive in, or do you need a 3rd drive to do that? That adds to the expense unless you've got a drive with enough space available already.

[quote name='RCS0926']What gets backed up exactly? I know that games saves and game data is backed up, but what about digital game downloads? I'd hate to have to download all my games again, although to be honest, I probably have less than 80GB of games on my stock PS3 HDD.[/QUOTE]

Digital games and DLC are also backed-up and restored.

[quote name='crunchewy']Can you backup directly to the new drive, then put that drive in, or do you need a 3rd drive to do that? That adds to the expense unless you've got a drive with enough space available already.[/QUOTE]

You can do the back-up if you get an external enclosure for the new drive, but also have to have a PC with adequate storage space in the interim for this.

To do it this way you have to:
Put new drive in external case and format to fat 32
Back-up existing HD to new (external) HD
Copy the back-up data over to a PC
Remove new drive from external case and install/format in PS3
Put old PS3 drive in external case and format to FAT 32
Copy back-up data from PC to external drive
Restore from external drive to PS3

I haven't tried it, but supposedly it works.

[quote name='waldo21212']Digital games and DLC are also backed-up and restored.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know.

[quote name='Vader582']Just going to concur with others and say if you have PS+, definitely get a 1 TB HDD.[/QUOTE]

Dangit. I guess I'd better wait for the right deal then.

These are 3.5" drives, right? Is there any way to back up all the stuff currently on the original drive? There are quite a few games that won't be able to be re-downloaded, as my friend let me grab them from his account a while back and I haven't talked to him in a while.

EDIT: Just saw the posts above, thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']These are 3.5" drives, right? Is there any way to back up all the stuff currently on the original drive? There are quite a few games that won't be able to be re-downloaded, as my friend let me grab them from his account a while back and I haven't talked to him in a while.[/QUOTE]

I believe the PS3 uses 2.5" drives.

Well shiat, that reduces the number of options available by quite a margin. There does seem to be a 750GB Toshiba on Newegg for 80 bucks, which is the best deal by far. Any good sites to watch for a better bargain?

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, 2.5". And I think 9.5 mm.[/QUOTE]

Yep, 9.5 or 7 mm only. The old 12 mm 2.5" drives won't fit.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Well shiat, that reduces the number of options available by quite a margin. There does seem to be a 750GB Toshiba on Newegg for 80 bucks, which is the best deal by far. Any good sites to watch for a better bargain?[/QUOTE]

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT 750GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive for ~$65

+ $20 off w/ promo code EMCNJNG36, ends 1/9:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136546

The $20-off promo code expires tonight (probably 12am Pacific). It's also Shoprunner eligible.

And just a general heads up: Sony's PS3 backup and restore utilities aren't great. I ran into countless errors when I did my most recent hard drive upgrade, probably due to just one or two corrupted files but of course there was no way determine the culprits. I would end up deleting some game data, retrying, and it would fail again.

At that point I just said "screw it" and redownloaded everything from the PS Store as well as all game data from the original discs.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Well shiat, that reduces the number of options available by quite a margin. There does seem to be a 750GB Toshiba on Newegg for 80 bucks, which is the best deal by far. Any good sites to watch for a better bargain?[/QUOTE]

Not true. Amazon has the WD Scorpio Blue 750GB HDD on sale for $65. They did a price match of Newegg's offer for the same drive. On Newegg, the price comes up at $85, but there is a $20 rebate coupon that brings it down to $65.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D18DM0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you want to save $10, you can go with the 500GB version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037NYQ6Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3NZU4CU5W041E

If you want to spend an additional $17, you can get the 1TB version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ADN0E6PSCVEW6

At any rate, you've got options...

I really should do this. I have an external 1TB drive that I use for all my mp3s.

My :ps3: HDD is always full and I end up having to pick and choose what games I want to keep or delete each week wit the new PS + offerings.

[quote name='eldergamer']I really should do this. I have an external 1TB drive that I use for all my mp3s.

My :ps3: HDD is always full and I end up having to pick and choose what games I want to keep or delete each week wit the new PS + offerings.[/QUOTE]

Do you really have that many MP3s?

It's not full.

But these are my lockers full of CD's, so. Yeah, I have a lot
picture.php

[quote name='Vader582']I bought this (same 1TB HDD RCS0926 mentions above) from Amazon when it was $109 in June last year.
It is now $85. So far so good.[/QUOTE]

Good to know that it has held up.

[quote name='RCS0926']Good to know that it has held up.[/QUOTE]
Really close to pulling the trigger on this one. It's a great deal, and there will never be a need for another hard drive again (hopefully!).

Now in regards to bigger and more solid HDs for my MacBook.... :hot:

Motherfuckers get expensive.

[quote name='Vader582']I bought this (same 1TB HDD RCS0926 mentions above) from Amazon when it was $109 in June last year.
It is now $85. So far so good.[/QUOTE]
This hard drive is now sitting in my PS3. It's common knowledge that one never gets the full 1TB out of a drive, but when after the install, it seemed especially slim. Under system settings it told me, right after the fresh install, that only 836/921GB were available.

What's up with that?!?! Is this normal? Again, this is before anything new was installed.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']This hard drive is now sitting in my PS3. It's common knowledge that one never gets the full 1TB out of a drive, but when after the install, it seemed especially slim. Under system settings it told me, right after the fresh install, that only 836/921GB were available.

What's up with that?!?! Is this normal? Again, this is before anything new was installed.[/QUOTE]

1TB is 931 GB, 10% reserved by the system is 838 GB, so sounds about right.

[quote name='elessar123']1TB is 931 GB, 10% reserved by the system is 838 GB, so sounds about right.[/QUOTE]

Yep it's correct, I have the 1 TB Toshiba drive in my, and pretty much the same total/free space after fresh install.

bread's done
Back