Best Buy "Upgrade & Save" 1/13/13-2/2/13

• Please log in to reply
860 replies to this topic

#391 tenchi7

tenchi7

Flying Spaghetti Monster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Here is my suggestion for making the process easy. Bring your 5 movies you want to trade, find 5 blu-rays you want to buy, goto the Customer service desk and do both transactions there. Do not goto the registers. Best Buy's training is always spotty at best. The cashiers are afraid to take any coupons because if they take a bad one they will be written up. I brought movies and the coupons to the register, and mind you I have seen this woman at the registers for months now. The lady looked the coupons like she had never seen them before and told me I was only allowed one, because it said only one phone upgrade offer per person.

Have you joined Listia yet? Get free stuff games, movies, jewelry, etc. https://www.listia.com/signup/4596755

#392 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'm using it as an example, but when the anime blu-ray were grouped in with all the rest of the blu-rays it was time consuming to see what BB had. This also hurt the anime companies even to the point where Funimation was releasing their Blu-Rays in DVD cases so they would be put in the regular anime section.

I found it to be a mess for me especially as an anime buyer as the anime was mixed in with the regular titles.

There sections are pretty accurate Avatar is in Sci-fi, Dodgeball is in Comedy. Etc.

I didn't say or even imply that everything was a total mess but there are quite a few movies that are in drama that should be in action and vice versa. Genre can frequently be chosen by opinion as far as placing a movie in one and placement by opinion is a terrible way to organize something when you have customers with wildly varying opinions. Total alphabetization is LCD but that's what works in big box retailing.

CC had anime mixed in with other genres because they didn't carry enough of a selection to justify it having it's own section.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain

:br:-Samurai 7
:br:-Star Wars: Clone Wars season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#393 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't understand the freak out over the steels. They've been around for almost a year. Are you guys just now noticing or something?

Will check for Eli steels this afternoon. Going to grab four or five if they're $10 each for members here.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#394 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I don't understand the freak out over the steels. They've been around for almost a year. Are you guys just now noticing or something?

Will check for Eli steels this afternoon. Going to grab four or five if they're $10 each for members here.

It's the fact that they are only $5

#395 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

It's the fact that they are only $5

It's like the third time they've been $5 after the U&S promotion.

Posted Image

#396 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

It's like the third time they've been $5 after the U&S promotion.

Understood, but not everyone is a veteran of this sale. Plus a lot of folks got blu players for Christmas.

#397 tenchi7

tenchi7

Flying Spaghetti Monster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Here is the thing with the steelbooks and why so much interest now at least for me. At Thanksgiving BB had an endcap display for there steelbooks. So instead of a few you notice from time to time you saw 16 all at one time. Honestly besides these upgrade and save I never goto BB anymore as I get most of movies from Amazon. Cheaper price, no lines, better selection, hassle free returns. etc. etc.

Have you joined Listia yet? Get free stuff games, movies, jewelry, etc. https://www.listia.com/signup/4596755

#398 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Honestly besides these upgrade and save I never goto BB anymore as I get most of movies from Amazon. Cheaper price, no lines, better selection, hassle free returns. etc. etc.

Cheaper? Most everything on Amazon today is a price match from somewhere else. Fun fact: Best Buy price matches too. In fact if the price drops in the next 30 days (or 60 in my case/silver) I can get money back. Amazon doesn't do that.
No lines? Lightning deals are lines. During Xmas if you weren't hawked on your computer you missed out due to the lines. Just keeping it real. PS My Best Buy in non-peak hours has little to no line.
Hassle free returns? How do you figure... You have to rebox it, ship it, and wait for it to arrive at Amazon to get your money. Mail service messup and you have an issue. Sure Amazon works with you (depending who you reach). But the phone call length becomes a line, which you claim Amazon doesn't have. Best Buy... I walk up and easily return my product in non-peak hours as long as it is unopened (games/movie/music related) and within the return policy time frame. Forget my receipt, they have them all associated to my rewardzone account for easy/convenient returns.
I will give they have more selection. They should have that since they work exclusively out of warehouses.
Just sick of the Amazon is better when it in a good chunk of cases they suck.

#399 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Here is my suggestion for making the process easy. Bring your 5 movies you want to trade, find 5 blu-rays you want to buy, goto the Customer service desk and do both transactions there. Do not goto the registers. Best Buy's training is always spotty at best. The cashiers are afraid to take any coupons because if they take a bad one they will be written up. I brought movies and the coupons to the register, and mind you I have seen this woman at the registers for months now. The lady looked the coupons like she had never seen them before and told me I was only allowed one, because it said only one phone upgrade offer per person.

I have some of the same experiences with workers at my local BBY. Now, I probably have been in that store at least 2 times a week EVERY week last year, if not more. To the point where I would walk in and the greeter guy would just nod and smirk and not say anything.

Numerous times I would go to CS (mainly for price matches) and it was always the same girl working. And every time she acted like she had never seen me before.

You would think these workers would take an interest in their customers. The one guy who usually does is the gaming guy in the back. He'll really take an interest in what were talking about and always asks what's new whenever he's working and I'm back there.
Posted Image

#400 tokerblue

tokerblue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

anyone got all the SKU: for the Steelbooks

- For some reason, the Last Samurai doesn't show up, but the others work.

http://blurayexclusi...s-best-buy.html

#401 zman73

zman73

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Is it just me or is getting the coupons at the store a huge hassle? I waited 20 minutes today to finally get them. Customer service clerks knew nothing of the promotion and said it was over. I demanded to speak to a manager and she knew nothing either. Finally I TOLD her what to do. Sad I have to tell the manager how to do her job.

I had an interesting response yesterday from a clueless employee...
I hand her the discs Im trading, she looks through them, sets aside Out of Sight and tells me they dont accept trade ins on R rated movies... I firmly told her she was wrong

She called the manager and within two minutes I have my coupons... most of the time I have no problems
"...and I was so anxious to get out of bed I stepped on her face"
from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Coming to you from the home of Mardi Gras... Mobile Alabama
http://mardigras.new...m/history.shtml

http://gulfcoastrunn...ace=mcm&yr=2008
November 29 2008... my first marathon... 26.2 miles of hell

#402 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I picked up 3x Book of Eli today (my store had 28).. one is already spoken for, two left. $15 shipped ($9.99 each + tax + shipping). Can't ship out until Friday. PM me if you're interested.

Posted Image

#403 DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Picked up The Raid (9.99 after coupon) and Matrix Steelbook (4.99), good stuff

#404 certifiedak

certifiedak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Picked up There will be Blood and Inglorious Basterds for $5 each. Got there early, walked right up to customer service with the two dvds and two blu rays and he just scanned off the coupon twice. Couldn`t have been easier. Sorry to hear that some people having a hard time.
Hello there. Bless Yer Souls!
Currently playing:
:ps3:A Crack in Time:applause:
:ps3:NFL BLITZ (couch co-op)

#405 PurpleJesus74

PurpleJesus74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Picked up There will be Blood and Inglorious Basterds for $5 each. Got there early, walked right up to customer service with the two dvds and two blu rays and he just scanned off the coupon twice. Couldn`t have been easier. Sorry to hear that some people having a hard time.

Yeah my store said they didnt have enough coupons left to give out,so i just took my dvd's and the blu rays i bought to customer service and she scanned a sheet with the coupon on it.It does help to go on a weekday and early,but i know not everybody can do that.
Today i got for $5 after coupon : The Breakfast Club,Planes,Trains and Automobiles,The Big Lebowski,Sherlock Holmes Game Of Shadows steelbook and Green Lantern steelbook.Might go back one more time before U & S ends.
Posted Image

#406 BFBB Delicious

BFBB Delicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Picked up Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, The Social Network, Batman Begins Steelbook and Inception Steelbook. Will be going back later in the week for more.
Posted Image

#407 Cedrock15

Cedrock15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I picked up 5 movies for $26 .
Shawshank Redemption (great savingsl, Best Buy retail was $24.99)
Sin City
Pulp Fiction
Scarface
I Saw the Devil

#408 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

these coupons special? Cashier scanned them, paid, then she put the q's and receipt right into my bag with the movies and handed it back to me.

I can reuse them?

#409 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

I forgot 3 coupons at home...and they had one of the carts like loaded with steels :( probably return/rebuying a few tomorrow

#410 bill esquivel

bill esquivel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

these coupons special? Cashier scanned them, paid, then she put the q's and receipt right into my bag with the movies and handed it back to me.

I can reuse them?

in the past, the coupons were not special. What counts is the trade in receipt.

Some store seem to do things differently. One store would give you 5 cards and a receipt for 5 and another gave you 1 card with the receipt 5. So one store just store would take the cards as redeemed and another would scratch off the 5 on the receipt. You can see how someone could take advantage of such a situation.

I would think if you had the card/cards and a trade in receipt that has not been marked, your good to go.

Also went to BB and traded in some really old cell phones and a broken camera. The guy asked his boss and they were ok with taking 5. Found taken 2 with t shirt. I would have thought all were gone and I just grabbed one of the rack and it happened to be the right one. Lady asked me where I found it as people were calling around looking for them. There were 2 or 3 more on the rack in santana row.

#411 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Picked up last 3 Steelbook: Green Lanther, Sherlock Holmes, Book of Elli, Tripples Pack, Tripples Pack, Tripples Pack. Will come back for more tomorrow or later this week. Tempting to pick up 3 Lord of the Rings movies. Already owned CE box set.
"Evil is Funs"

#412 Luriden

Luriden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm normally not a fan of the generic double packs and triple packs unless it's a fancy, official, obviously-themed box set. However, $5 each for the triple packs is incredibly hard to resist.

Goodfellas/Departed/Aviator
American History X/A History of Violence/True Romance
2001: Space Odyssey/A Clockwork Orange/The Shining
Hangover Part II
Monty Python & The Holy Grail

I will be going back for more. The Blazing Saddles/Caddyshack/European Vacation pack is tempting, but I'd rather have the Mel Brooks box set, and leaving out Vacation but throwing in its sequel is kinda awkward. I'm seeing people posting movies in this thread that I didn't see today or notice on sale, but Best Buy's website says they have them, so I will be making more (many more) trips. Curse the 5-a-day rule!

76561197977061647.png

#413 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Can I get a sku on the aviator triple pack?

#414 Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Yippie kai yay!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Ugh, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I like having complete box sets, but with Upgrade & Save, buying all three Batman movies costs the exact same (only I'd have to give up three DVDs instead of one).

Dark Knight trilogy box set or buy all three steelbooks?

Of course, I already have the first two movies on Blu.

My buy/sell/trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=230525

To the "If I send you an offer via PM, please respond to it even if you aren't interested" guy, I'm still waiting to hear back from you after I sent you a PM in July of 2009.

#415 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Ugh, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I like having complete box sets, but with Upgrade & Save, buying all three Batman movies costs the exact same (only I'd have to give up three DVDs instead of one).

Dark Knight Trilogy goes on sale every now and then, but that's few and far between. Totally up to you. If I didn't get my trilogy at Fry's for $20, I'd have gotten the steelbooks at Best Buy.... and I still might, since I'm only missing the Dark Knight Rises SB. The only thing preventing that is the price ($29.99).

#416 Mippo

Mippo

One and Only

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

I waited a few days since the last time I did a sale at Best Buy they had no clue their website was even offering a sale. Well, bad idea. This deal was advertised on every single aisle in the movie section, and their deals were all cleared out. They literally had an entire shelf for the sale blu-rays and there were maybe ~4 movies left out of 30 titles. It was basically an empty shelf.

#417 applecider

applecider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Haven't had any issues except the first day when it took the lady about 10 minutes to figure everything out because it had been a while.

Aside from the four Mobile Upgrade coupons, I managed to snag enough .25 and .01 Dollar Tree DVDs for the following:

300 Steelbook
American Beauty
Barbarella (w/ slipcover)
A Beautiful Mind
Aviator
Ben-Hur
Big Lebowski
Blood Diamond
Casablanca
Children of Men
Clear and Present Danger
Cruel Intentions
Das Boot
Departed Steelbook
Dog Day Afternoon
Fight Club
Hurt Locker
I Saw the Devil
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Inception Steelbook
Kick-Ass
L.A. Confidential
Les Miserables
Lincoln Lawyer
Matrix Steelbook
Ocean's Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen Triple Pack
Princess Bride 25th Anniversary
Re-Animator
Requiem for a Dream
Restrepo
Romeo and Juliet
Scarface
Shawshank Redemption Steelbook
Sherlock Holmes Steelbook
Source Code
Taken
Unforgiven
Zombieland

Also bought these:

Renaissance ($5.99)
Flash Gordon ($7.99)
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels ($7.99)

Also didn't have any trouble with them taking 5 copies of Fuerza Elite in one transaction, after I ran out of the other ones to mix into the stack. I have a few more I'd like to get that aren't available in store, so tomorrow I'll be trying the Express Lane I've seen mentioned.

Edited by applecider, 17 January 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#418 DRV

DRV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

I have a Special Edition Dark Knight DVD, and I have both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray thanks to the Christopher Nolan Collection box.

I ended up buying the steelbooks anyway. Mainly because $5 each is hard to pass up, and when I bought Rises, I ended up deciding on the Steelbook.

When I went in today I picked up...
- Batman Begins (steelbook)
- The Dark Knight (steelbook)
- Inception (steelbook)
- The Hangover (steelbook)
- The Hangover 2 (steelbook)

So in actuality, I only walked out with +2 movies, because I owned the first three already. Just couldn't deny those steelbooks.

I'm going back tomorrow for Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill 1&2, Superbad, and 300 (steelbook).

Then I'll head to another Best Buy for Pulp Fiction, Love and Other Drugs, I Love You Man, and Billy Madison.
Danreb R. Victorio
Senior Editor, SmashPad
http://www.smashpad.com

#419 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I picked up 3x Book of Eli today (my store had 28).. one is already spoken for, two left. $15 shipped ($9.99 each + tax + shipping). Can't ship out until Friday. PM me if you're interested.

Is this one hard to find? I see it almost all the time, when I was at BBY the other day it seems that SUperman Returns is getting a huge restock, I must have seen 20 copies.

#420 Pounce!

Pounce!

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

It's official that there will be a DK Ultimate CE box set later this year. Heck I bought the trilogy and inside the slip said coming soon. WTF?