- - - - -

Best Buy "Upgrade & Save" 1/13/13-2/2/13

• Please log in to reply
860 replies to this topic

#151 Trojann

Trojann

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Want to get some Steelbooks hope they stay at $10

Edited by Trojann, 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#152 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

do you guys know if the best buy exclusive steelbooks like Green Lantern, Inception, Sherlock will still be on sale next week? they are $10 this week, would be a steal to pick them up for $5 a pop

If they go up to more than $15, it would be better to buy them now at $10. If they go up to $15, it would be waste of a coupon to buy them next week when they'd already be $10 this week.

I'd suggest getting what you want this week and wait to see how they price out next week. You're guaranteed to get them at $10 now and if they're still $10 after Sunday, do a return-and-rebuy on the ones you picked up.

#153 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the "Men Who Built America" is coming out on January 22nd which was an amazing mini-series. Hopefully the coupon will make it $19.99.

TheVila.png

#154 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the "Men Who Built America" is coming out on January 22nd which was an amazing mini-series. Hopefully the coupon will make it $19.99.

Yup that series is fantastic (so is Mankind the Story of All of Us).

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#155 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

If they go up to more than $15, it would be better to buy them now at $10. If they go up to $15, it would be waste of a coupon to buy them next week when they'd already be $10 this week.

I'd suggest getting what you want this week and wait to see how they price out next week. You're guaranteed to get them at $10 now and if they're still $10 after Sunday, do a return-and-rebuy on the ones you picked up.

i took your advice, heres my haul, all for $96 with tax, only passed up on shawshank and goodfellas steel since i have digibooks for both, already have all the batman steels, and the second sherlock steel

luckily my bb was well stocked on steels, i got the last book of eli and one of the few remaining hangover 2 steels, had plenty of everything else, this is in Secaucus, NJ

Posted Image

Edited by henry00x, 11 January 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#156 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

i took your advice, heres my haul, all for $96 with tax, only passed up on shawshank and goodfellas steel since i have digibooks for both, already have all the batman steels, and the second sherlock steel

luckily my bb was well stocked on steels, i got the last book of eli and one of the few remaining hangover 2 steels, had plenty of everything else, this is in Secaucus, NJ

Posted Image

Good choice to pick them up now. Just wait it out until Sunday (or even until the end of U&S, which is still within 30 days from today's date) and see if they remain at $10 or if they go up, if they go down again to $10.

Regardless, you have them all at $10 each, so you at least have them. I picked up quite a few of them at $10, so I'm fine with that price for them. Cheaper is better, yes, though that always doesn't happen.

#157 blazenumb1

blazenumb1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Good choice to pick them up now. Just wait it out until Sunday (or even until the end of U&S, which is still within 30 days from today's date) and see if they remain at $10 or if they go up, if they go down again to $10.

Regardless, you have them all at $10 each, so you at least have them. I picked up quite a few of them at $10, so I'm fine with that price for them. Cheaper is better, yes, though that always doesn't happen.

I picked up the Book of Eli steel book today and ask the employee how much longer they will be on sale for. According to the system the steel books should be on sale until 1/26.

#158 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I picked up the Book of Eli steel book today and ask the employee how much longer they will be on sale for. According to the system the steel books should be on sale until 1/26.

Awesome. Between the Upgrade&Save discount and the $5 GC for small electronics trade in, these will be free for me

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#159 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

I really wish they took VHS tapes. That's still an upgrade. :lol:

#160 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Does anyone know how to tell if you've got the extended edition version in the LOTR steelcases, without having to sit through the movies? Some people online reported getting the extended editions in the BBY exclusive steelcases, however there was no mention of any unique external packaging or disc identifiers or mention on the menu.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#161 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Does anyone know how to tell if you've got the extended edition version in the LOTR steelcases, without having to sit through the movies? Some people online reported getting the extended editions in the BBY exclusive steelcases, however there was no mention of any unique external packaging or disc identifiers or mention on the menu.

I honestly don't think they have the extended versions in them.Afaik Target is the only place that had smaller extended cuts. The other individual releases were like 25 bucks.

#162 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

Time to trade in the 432542 copies of re-re-re-re-star wars?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#163 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

just a note to you guys...there are some pretty nice triple packs on sale till the 19th that would be 5 dollars after coupon..austin powers..departed/goodfellas/aviator..300/troy/alexander....the shining/clockwork orange/2001 are some examples.

#164 FiendCameron

FiendCameron

xGrindxMoshx

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I really hope this is true. Would love to pick up the Hangovers and Inception. Part of me wants Green Lantern, but another part of me remembers it being garbage.

#165 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone. Can't wait til Sunday.

#166 jetthead

jetthead

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I really hope this is true. Would love to pick up the Hangovers and Inception. Part of me wants Green Lantern, but another part of me remembers it being garbage.

I was at BBY yesterday and noticed that the shelf tag for both the Green Lantern SteelBook and The Dark Knight Steelbook said that the sale ended on 1/26. So at the very least, those 2 can be had for $5 w/ U&S.

#167 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oh thank god, my fiancé just cleaned out our DVD rack and set a ton of them in a box for a yard sale (which will never happen, she did the same thing 2 years ago and we ended up giving them to goodwill). Time to take these puppies to Best Buy this week. Glad I dont have to go hunting for some cheapies at dollar tree/big lots or wherever now.

Even sweeter now that the steelbooks will be on sale. Woot!

#168 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

just a note to you guys...there are some pretty nice triple packs on sale till the 19th that would be 5 dollars after coupon..austin powers..departed/goodfellas/aviator..300/troy/alexander....the shining/clockwork orange/2001 are some examples.

Oh good...time for the 300 pack and Departed pack.

I wouldnt be able to justify getting the Departed by itself for $5 when I can get 2 more awesome movies with it for the same price, just in the same case.

Unfortunately, it seems my store sold most of the Departed triple packs. Hoping they get a couple more in.
Posted Image

#169 blazenumb1

blazenumb1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I never saw Green Lantern before but I'm a sucker for steel books. Is the movie that bad? I know you can't go wrong for $5, but was curious as to what expectations to have going into the movie.

#170 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I never saw Green Lantern before but I'm a sucker for steel books. Is the movie that bad? I know you can't go wrong for $5, but was curious as to what expectations to have going into the movie.

I thought it was great...but I'm probably alone in that respect. :-#

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Just Cause 2; Tales of Xillia 2  :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World RED; Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [8/28]: :vita: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (4/5)

Last Watched Film [8/9]: The Raid 2 (insane choreography, complex story)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#171 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I honestly don't think they have the extended versions in them.Afaik Target is the only place that had smaller extended cuts. The other individual releases were like 25 bucks.

Thanks. Even with the sales/discounts that have been had and can be had on the EE Trilogy (and individuals at Target), it's hard to justify getting yet another set of them, especially when I scored the Theatrical Edition of the trilogy for $7 at Target black Friday '11, as well as got the three Best Buy exclusive steelcases.

The only ones I'm missing that I think I'll get are Superman Returns, Green Lantern, and maybe Shawshank. Goodfellas and Gran Torino is coming up online at $19.99 and $24.99 respectively so pass on that, Sucker Punch is $14.99 so maybe pass on that, and Last Samurai is completely MIA though I should be able to use the SKU inventory trick to try to track one down.

I'm just going through the Best Buy exclusives, but most of them are so bloody expensive (Spiderman steelcase for example) that I will most likely pass on them.

Why didn't WB put out a Watchmen Steelcase as part of this BBY deal...that would be so awesome. Speaking of, I'll probably have to be a whore and buy that new Watchmen Special Edition set too (even though I have the Ultimate Edition still sealed). That and the Game of Thrones S1 Special Edition. Hmmm, the prices on those are ridiculous...I'll wait for a sale to get them.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#172 cagfansub

cagfansub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Haha.. they don't even want to take my HD-DVDs, which is better than DVD for this upgrade and save.

Also, I noticed that they also do not want to take in any DVD without the box cover (amaray) type or slim case even if
the DVDs were originally bought and commercially available and they don't come in any slim case. For example, Walmart got a stack of those oldies Christimas black and white DVD movies for $1 but they don't have slim cases.. just plastic and paper.
Best Buy won't take it just because they don't have cover art and amaray case.

#173 neoz

neoz

I Know Kung Fu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I thought it was great...but I'm probably alone in that respect. :-#

You are.;)

I didn't think it was bad but not great. Definitely getting it during U&S though.
I mean Ryan did the best he had written for him.

#174 Minkyboi

Minkyboi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Oh good...time for the 300 pack and Departed pack.

I wouldnt be able to justify getting the Departed by itself for $5 when I can get 2 more awesome movies with it for the same price, just in the same case.

Unfortunately, it seems my store sold most of the Departed triple packs. Hoping they get a couple more in.

I was thinking the same thing but The Departed is hands down one of my top 5 movies. Have to get it in a steelcase...lol

#175 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Not sure I saw it answered, but are the Lord of the Ring Steelbooks on sale starting tomorrow at $9.99 each? (so essentially $4.99 each after DVD trade in.)

#176 tyron3biggum5

tyron3biggum5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hoping that we see Star Wars: The Complete Saga back down to $69.99 or less during the promotion. I just sold my original trilogy DVDs for $60 a few weeks ago.

#177 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hoping that we see Star Wars: The Complete Saga back down to $69.99 or less during the promotion. I just sold my original trilogy DVDs for $60 a few weeks ago.

Wait what? Which version of the films? I have the Special Edition trilogy box set (with the shiny silver slip cover). Is that one rare or is it the theatrical editions or?? Really surprised you got $60 for any SW on DVD, I must be out of the loop.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#178 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure if it's because I read that it was the most horrible movie ever created every time I saw it mentioned on the internet, but when I finally did see it, it didn't seem that bad. There's problems, but I guess my expectations were so low at that point that it didn't seem that awful.

Not even an honorable mention on the list of things I've spent $5 on that weren't worth it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#179 cagfansub

cagfansub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

As for the steelbooks.. don't get Inception steelbook because it is a cripple 1 disc only.
Better go with the regular case for better value. It has 3 discs.

#180 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I am trying to find the $10 triple feature blu-ray sets out there. There are a bunch but finding them on the Best Buy site isn't the easiest. Bear in mind IMO some of these sets are horrid and I will put those at the bottom, but someone out there may find them worthy of $5.

So far I have found the following:
  • 16 Blocks/The Last Boy Scout/Last Man Standing
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey/A Clockwork Orange/The Shining
  • Alexander Revisited/Troy/300
  • American History X/A History of Violence/True Romance
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery/The Spy Who Shagged Me/Goldmember
  • Beetlejuice/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Corpse Bride
  • Blazing Saddles/Caddyshack/National Lampoon's European Vacation
  • Oceans 11/12/13
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • The Departed/Goodfellas/Aviator
  • The Lost Boys/Lost Boys: The Tribe/Lost Boys: The Thirst
  • The Wedding Singer/Going the Distance/Music and Lyrics
  • Training Day/John Q./The Pelican Brief
  • Twister/Poseidon/Perfect Storm
  • V for Vendetta/Watchmen/Constantine

IMO these are the bad ones:
  • Forget Me Not/House of the Fallen/Red Hook
  • Spoils of War/Bloodrayne: Third Reich/Ultimate Heist
  • The Missing Lynx/Donkey X/Disco Worms
  • XIII/JCVD/Brotherhood

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List