Photo
* * * * - 12 votes

Best Buy Deal of the Day: Gran Turismo 6 $39.99/$31.99 Unlocked, Saints Row IV (PS3, Xbox 360) $29.99/$23.99 Unlocked

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3530 replies to this topic

#2371 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Probably has something to do with Best Buy bleeding money.
Companies love to cut hours/help when losing money. It's what K-Mart and other companies have been doing over the years.
They fail to realize good help, stocked shelves and low prices will drive customers back.

My store is not running the lights during the day. They are using the sun light from the glass windows. No, I am not kidding.

#2372 offensive_jerk

offensive_jerk

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Also I noticed my Best Buy no longer uses the main checkouts hardly ever. Everything is done at customer service. The gaming section has been greatly reduced.

I remember wanting a best buy in town for the longest time. They finally came about 6 years ago, and by then the store was little more than a glorified Walmart.

I also don't get the used game prices. I don't see anything under $10. All I see is $15 shovelware.

#2373 mxtt

mxtt

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Also I noticed my Best Buy no longer uses the main checkouts hardly ever. Everything is done at customer service. The gaming section has been greatly reduced.

I remember wanting a best buy in town for the longest time. They finally came about 6 years ago, and by then the store was little more than a glorified Walmart.

I also don't get the used game prices. I don't see anything under $10. All I see is $15 shovelware.

Have you tried doing Store Pickup on their site?

#2374 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Most likely the Samsung kiosk. I have a few friends who started working with Samsung selling products. I was talking to the manager at my local BB after my interview and he told me they are moving laptops, phones, and Samsung to the front of the store to attract guests, and will move movies, gaming, etc to the back. I assume they want to start pushing items with higher markups so that they can turn profits.

edit: One of the gaming dept. employees told me that trades will now be done at customer service (at least at my local BB). Not sure if the gaming register is going away or not.

You're lucky just to have the interview...my Best Buy has about 10 spots open, for about a month now, and all the people I know there are like "yeah, with the manager turnaround and everything were definitely hiring"...yet i haven't gotten one interview out of 3 applications I've put in, even with my extensive customer service past...and ive had associate store supervisors and "high-ups" put in good words for me because they know me so well from shopping there. Even been in a time or two to follow-up, and I get told the same thing by the hiring coordinator "we'll, if you're expecting to hear back from us, it'll probably be later today when I make the calls"..

I know that store like the back of my hand, and my knowledge of multiple departments would definitely be an asset to them...more so than I can say about some of the lackluster employees they have around there. Some, I don't even know how they got hired there. It's sad too, knowing a job I'd be extremely good at is open, yet never getting the time of day
Posted Image

#2375 offensive_jerk

offensive_jerk

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Have you tried doing Store Pickup on their site?

I have done a couple store pickups before, but that was before the downsizing.

#2376 walterdude

walterdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

You're lucky just to have the interview...my Best Buy has about 10 spots open, for about a month now, and all the people I know there are like "yeah, with the manager turnaround and everything were definitely hiring"...yet i haven't gotten one interview out of 3 applications I've put in, even with my extensive customer service past...and ive had associate store supervisors and "high-ups" put in good words for me because they know me so well from shopping there. Even been in a time or two to follow-up, and I get told the same thing by the hiring coordinator "we'll, if you're expecting to hear back from us, it'll probably be later today when I make the calls"..

I know that store like the back of my hand, and my knowledge of multiple departments would definitely be an asset to them...more so than I can say about some of the lackluster employees they have around there. Some, I don't even know how they got hired there. It's sad too, knowing a job I'd be extremely good at is open, yet never getting the time of day

It's called they can pay joe-blow $7.25 - $8. When if you were smart, told them you are very knowledge about the product, and you want $9-$10 an hour that's too much. Money > Customer Service. And that is exactly how Sears is failing.

#2377 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's called they can pay joe-blow $7.25 - $8. When if you were smart, told them you are very knowledge about the product, and you want $9-$10 an hour that's too much. Money > Customer Service. And that is exactly how Sears is failing.

And how Circuit City contributed to their downfall. That and warranties that cost more than the product itself.

#2378 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

It is standard. Best Buy is shrinking it's gaming department in stores as they're realizing they can't compete with Gamestop and other companies regardless of the deals they offer because people don't think Best Buy when they want a game unless you're a CAG jumping on a deal.

Stores should be pulling their gaming kiosk when they're next on the list to get the new Samsung display all stores are slowly getting one by one. My store already got it.

I just pulled a bunch of EOL's (End of Life) pulls on PC games today alone that will get shipped out on the next truck. Though we did have 3 copies of Halo 4 at my store. One was taken by a frantic woman that came flying in and out and the other 2 were quickly pulled for online orders for store pick up.

Wowsers - I ain't been to BB or bought PC games from them...in forever.

So, does this mean that there will be heavily reduced prices on PC games - a la kind of like TRU did last year and got rid of PC games?

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2379 fei33

fei33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

According to GS's recent earnings report, 48% of all NEW games sold in the US are from them.

I thought Walmart was still the number one retailer for video games due to the high amount of traffic doing "One Stop Shopping". Other than Black Friday and the occasional Clearance items, they have little to offer most CAG's. Game Stop occasionally has a good deal, but usually the best thing they offer is their Pre-Owned Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales.

This is disheartening. Although I tend to do the lion's share of my shopping with Amazon, I am more than aware that Amazon is often competitive on pricing because of some aggressive sale or promotion by Best Buy. I also will still buy a lot of video game related things from Best Buy ($45 for $50 PSN Card recently). I hope they still continue to offer some great sales like the occasional Deal of the Day or offer some fantastic deals for Black Friday again.

#2380 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I thought Walmart was still the number one retailer for video games due to the high amount of traffic doing "One Stop Shopping". Other than Black Friday and the occasional Clearance items, they have little to offer most CAG's. Game Stop occasionally has a good deal, but usually the best thing they offer is their Pre-Owned Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales.

This is disheartening. Although I tend to do the lion's share of my shopping with Amazon, I am more than aware that Amazon is often competitive on pricing because of some aggressive sale or promotion by Best Buy. I also will still buy a lot of video game related things from Best Buy ($45 for $50 PSN Card recently). I hope they still continue to offer some great sales like the occasional Deal of the Day or offer some fantastic deals for Black Friday again.

I can't recall ever buying a game this gen at Wal-Mart outside of Black Friday.

#2381 jlewski

jlewski

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Great Deal Been looking for a laptop miught actually pick it up

#2382 xcefkevin

xcefkevin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I've worked at two different Best Buy stores and always got paid $10.50 an hour to start out with. That's in upstate NY and I was part of the Geek Squad/Customer Service so I'm not sure if they get paid different than sales associates or if it varies by state.

#2383 ninjalunchbox79

ninjalunchbox79

WTF?!?!?!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Why in the hell would anyone wanna work at Best Buy?? LOL Boggles the mind , there are plenty of jobs out there you just have to LOOK.

#2384 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Why in the hell would anyone wanna work at Best Buy?? LOL Boggles the mind , there are plenty of jobs out there you just have to LOOK.

So you want nobody to work at BBY, your logic being?

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#2385 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I've worked at two different Best Buy stores and always got paid $10.50 an hour to start out with. That's in upstate NY and I was part of the Geek Squad/Customer Service so I'm not sure if they get paid different than sales associates or if it varies by state.

Well yea...I asked for $9.00 on the application, but just because my last job was $8.00/hr, and the one before that $13.41 (budget cuts, got laid off)...

Even if they thought $9 was high, at least have the courtesy to interview me and negotiate pay instead of skipping right over mine because "he's too expensive.."

And the reason why I want to work at best buy is simple: I know the products, and I can be very influential in selling. Plus, it would be any enjoyable part time job until I ship out for the Navy to do my 20 years and make something of my life.
Posted Image

#2386 NismoZ32

NismoZ32

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

That's odd. I like working for Best Buy.
Why?
- A way higher starting pay than any other entry level job I've had (I'm only 19 and in college incase you think I'm a lowlife.)
- Constant 30-40 hour weeks (Every other job I had to fight for 30 hours and even then I'd see no hours in parts of the years because of sale and traffic decrease).
- Getting to be around fellow nerds and nerdettes

Oh and the main reason? One word. Discount. A big one at that. Best Buy employees pay 5% over the wholesale price which is what Best Buy paid to have product in it's stores. Much better than your 10%-15% off msrp anywhere else you work.

#2387 xcefkevin

xcefkevin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

There's nothing wrong with working anywheres. I have more respect for people who work at McDonalds then I do people who refuse to work or would rather the government provide for them. The first Best Buy I worked at was amazing, great people, knowledgeable, very fun to work at. The second Best Buy (Relocated) was run by idiots and I quickly left and found a job that fit what I went to school for. But if I was still at the other Best Buy I might of stayed for part time / extra money and had a blast doing it.

#2388 ralph10

ralph10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

That's odd. I like working for Best Buy.
Why?
- A way higher starting pay than any other entry level job I've had (I'm only 19 and in college incase you think I'm a lowlife.)
- Constant 30-40 hour weeks (Every other job I had to fight for 30 hours and even then I'd see no hours in parts of the years because of sale and traffic decrease).
- Getting to be around fellow nerds and nerdettes

Oh and the main reason? One word. Discount. A big one at that. Best Buy employees pay 5% over the wholesale price which is what Best Buy paid to have product in it's stores. Much better than your 10%-15% off msrp anywhere else you work.

All that is great, I LOVED the discount, but the CONSTANT number pushing was just a nuisance. It drove me mad.

#2389 ets

ets

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

From my understandings, Best Buy's hiring process is they bring in 3 groups of 3 people in. From each group they select one person to go onto a 2nd interview. And one person is selected. My friend had an interview and his group:

1) Recent College Graduate in business with a year of retail experience
2) 3 years of retail experience
3) 5 years of retail experience including 2 years as Manager

They don't call you if you dont go onto the next step.
Currently Playing: N/A
On Deck: N.A

MyTradeList [Link]

#2390 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Don't be too down. I had the highest scores in the history of my air traffic control program, got job offer at $100K+ facility 10 minutes from my house with absolutely zero traffic ever, and then failed color blind test which I previously passed before starting school and training.

#2391 DorneyDave

DorneyDave

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Thinking like this BOGGLES my mind. Who are you to judge where people want to work, earn for themselves? You don't know people's situations/interests/life story/etc.

#2392 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I would want to work at Best Buy. >.> :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2393 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Don't be too down. I had the highest scores in the history of my air traffic control program, got job offer at $100K+ facility 10 minutes from my house with absolutely zero traffic ever, and then failed color blind test which I previously passed before starting school and training.

Dang man, that does suck! How do you like the program though? I scored very high on my ASVAB and am considering air traffic control in the Navy. Sure rank pays your wage there, but on the outside, it's a nice payin job I hear!
Posted Image

#2394 TopsideKracker

TopsideKracker

...doomy doomy doomy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

You previously passed? How does that happen? Sucks.

Sorry OT, just curious...

#2395 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Posted Image

#2396 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

Posted Image

You'll have to land somewhere far from the U.S.

#2397 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

New deals...

#2398 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I would want to work at Best Buy. >.> :lol:

I currently work at Best Buy, and it's not that bad of a job. I've been there for almost two years, and I would rather work there instead of Walmart, GS or whatever. The discount is awesome, and depending on what department you work in; most people would like it there. I went from portable electronics(now called lifestyles) to Geek Squad to Customer Service.

With that being said, if you work gaming retail, shoot me a PM. I'll hook you up with the sites. ;)

Edited by CheapAssHustla, 29 May 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#2399 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Be careful those PX21's snap more than rice krispies submerged in milk. SERIOUSLY look it up this is a SERIOUS problem with them. I have dropped my X12's more than the bass in a dubstep, but they are still fine.

#2400 Autosaver

Autosaver

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Zumba Fitness? WHAT A DEAL