PSP core pack $99 at Target

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

searched and saw mention of these hitting 99 bucks at Amazon and stuff at the begining of the month and one on walmart having them. Just thought id mention that i noticed they were marked at $99 at Target today when i was in there picking up a copy of Adventure time.

Is this just the new MSRP for the PSP's or a temporary drop? Im considering buying a backup but dont know if i should wait a bit longer. I held of on DS lites back in the day and didn't get an extra black one because of it =(
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#2 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

99 seems like a good price could see them falling to 49 bucks thanksgiving 2013 though
WOOOO I STINK

#3 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

searched and saw mention of these hitting 99 bucks at Amazon and stuff at the begining of the month and one on walmart having them. Just thought id mention that i noticed they were marked at $99 at Target today when i was in there picking up a copy of Adventure time.

Is this just the new MSRP for the PSP's or a temporary drop? Im considering buying a backup but dont know if i should wait a bit longer. I held of on DS lites back in the day and didn't get an extra black one because of it =(

They are still $129 on the sony style website but AZ, Walmart and Target all have them for ~ $99.

Not many other retailers in my area carry them anymore. Sears and Kmart have clearanced them out and the only PSP's I've seen at TRU in my area are the dead PSP Go's

#4 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

They are still $129 on the sony style website but AZ, Walmart and Target all have them for ~ $99.

Not many other retailers in my area carry them anymore. Sears and Kmart have clearanced them out and the only PSP's I've seen at TRU in my area are the dead PSP Go's

Havent seen PSp Go since Sears clear it out

#5 HyperG

HyperG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

If target clearanced it, should see about waiting until next week where it could easily drop to 50 or 30 dollars (may not happen right a week later, just best to always check). I had bought a digital camera not long ago for 30 dollars, the week before I had bought it, it was 99. Just a thought.

www.GamersVlog.com - Enter for game giveaways.

#6 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Could be going out. Can't find PS2s new anymore here either, so my guess is PSP is next...

#7 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Targets still have these left? Pretty sure mine hasn't had any PSP's for almost a year now. Thought the clearanced them a while back too. Are they getting more in stock across the board or something?

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#8 Marvelous Mark

Marvelous Mark

I love redhead maids!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Could be going out. Can't find PS2s new anymore here either, so my guess is PSP is next...

Yeah, Japan stopped production of the PlayStation 2.

#9 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

If target clearanced it, should see about waiting until next week where it could easily drop to 50 or 30 dollars (may not happen right a week later, just best to always check). I had bought a digital camera not long ago for 30 dollars, the week before I had bought it, it was 99. Just a thought.

Targets still have these left? Pretty sure mine hasn't had any PSP's for almost a year now. Thought the clearanced them a while back too. Are they getting more in stock across the board or something?

These aren't on clearance. It's just a price drop from $129 or $119 to $99.

The actually are still in production; the newer ones are in blue and white packaging where the original PSP 3000's are in yellow and white packaging.

It is possible that Target will no longer carry them and they will eventually hit a clearance but I do not think that the $99 pricing is a clearance price.

#10 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Im hoping tru clearances off the go soon. They have like 3 white ones at my local store at like 160.

#11 gutter2d

gutter2d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS. Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way. Too bad SquareEnix isn't bringing that Final Fantasy game that came out last year over here.

#12 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

So, I just ordered a Vita, at this point, are most of the games digital, or should I still look into a PSP for some stuff?

#13 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

So, I just ordered a Vita, at this point, are most of the games digital, or should I still look into a PSP for some stuff?

Many games are digital. Research to see what games you want and see if they are on the PlayStation store.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#14 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

Many games are digital. Research to see what games you want and see if they are on the PlayStation store.

Most of the ones I'm interested in are, there's just a few strange more obscure stuff I hadn't dug too deep on. I'll do some research, I know I can get a 1000 used from GS for cheap enough at this point that I might just bite the bullet for some hard copies.

#15 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

Im hoping tru clearances off the go soon. They have like 3 white ones at my local store at like 160.

I wasn't aware they sold standalone white PSPs. The only ones I know of that were sold white in the US were from the Assassin's Creed bundle a few years back.

Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way.

I've owned every model of PSP and still own a 3000 and PSP Go, and I realize your statement is subjective, but in no way did the PSP have a stronger library than the DS.

oIi9lub.png

#16 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

As long as it's for a 2000 or 3000 model it doesn't seem like a bad deal. There are tons of great games that you can get for cheap. It's also a much cheaper alternative to a Vita.

16Z462z.jpg

#17 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

I wasn't aware they sold standalone white PSPs. The only ones I know of that were sold white in the US were from the Assassin's Creed bundle a few years back.

White PSP Gos, not 3000.

#18 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS. Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way. Too bad SquareEnix isn't bringing that Final Fantasy game that came out last year over here.

PSP has an awful library compared to the DS, especially if you like JRPG's

Heck, the PSP has an awful library compared to the DS no matter what type of game you're looking for

I like my PSP but I understand it's limitations

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#19 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Most of the ones I'm interested in are, there's just a few strange more obscure stuff I hadn't dug too deep on. I'll do some research, I know I can get a 1000 used from GS for cheap enough at this point that I might just bite the bullet for some hard copies.

Avoid the 1000 and pick up a 2000 or 3000. I've owned all 3 and the 1000 is thicker, heavier, and less efficient battery. Possibly worst of all are the d-pad and buttons (the right key and the square button) which seem to recede improperly.

I for one love the PSP library in general, and I think GameStop is still running a buy 2 get 1 free deal on used stuff. Just do your research and you'll find a lot of PSP gems :)

#20 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Heck, the PSP has an awful library compared to the DS no matter what type of game you're looking for

I like my PSP but I understand it's limitations

Well its all opinion in the end. I think the PSP blows away the gimmicky DS in every way, in terms of hardware and games too. To each his own.

I also think $100 is a great price for a PSP 3000; there's a huge library of great games on UMD or digitally.

#21 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

These aren't on clearance. It's just a price drop from $129 or $119 to $99.

The actually are still in production; the newer ones are in blue and white packaging where the original PSP 3000's are in yellow and white packaging.

It is possible that Target will no longer carry them and they will eventually hit a clearance but I do not think that the $99 pricing is a clearance price.

This. I should have clarified they were NOT clearanced, it had a regular $99 price tag on it

well it was pretty successfull in other markets, just not in the US. My guess is that, other than the piracy issue, the UMD format was just terrible. The hardware was also kinda fragile. Mine gives me the 'are you sure you want to quit' message all the time when im trying to play it. Its been doing it since i first used the damn thing almost and makes playing an action game pretty much impossible. Ive tried to find a solution but every post ive seen about it has no real solution at all. I think its either the disc tray isn't seated right or the reader is just messed up

Anyway.. im still on the fence on whether to get one or not. I saw the post about the new ones being in a blue package. I find that kinda interesting. Has anyone actually seen one like that? I may want to get one in the newer packaging if thats the case. Would be sweet if i could PM at best buy since i have a bunch of certificates with them. Are they still PM'ing retailers? Do they even still carry PSP's?
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#22 xenozfan2

xenozfan2

Trippin' on apples!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS.

Have you even played a 3ds? Resident evil revelations looks like an early 360 game and even the other games look great like MGS:Snake eater and Kid Icarus.
Posted Image

"Ain't nobody said I couldn't ride that bitch, so I rode that bitch."

#23 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Great deal, but with Black Friday 2013 around the corner, I may have to just bide my time.

#24 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Great deal, but with Black Friday 2013 around the corner, I may have to just bide my time.

???

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#25 wtsutton

wtsutton

Lost my hippie lettuce!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I have one of the white Darth Vader PSPs. Loved it. As far as the talk on the system's library. I don't care what anybody says. Its library, for me, was amazing. The RPG and SRPG selection was awesome. I loved having Disgaea on the go. Put close to 100 hours on the first one. Final Fantasy Tactics was crazy good with the re-written dialogue. Joan of Arc? Rocked. VC2? Rocked. Persona 1, 2 and 3? Come on, man. And that was just the tip of the iceberg.

It failed in the US because of the piracy problems (a retarded monkey in a third class zoo could do it...in fact, I think some did) and the stupid, stupid UMD format.

That said...you can get UMDs of awesome games on the super cheap now.

I dunno...if you can catch the Vita on another sale like what was offered on Black Friday, I think you are better off spending the extra money. Get the best of both worlds.

#26 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

the PSP has a FANTASTIC underappreciated library. I've owned 3 PSPs since launch day and a ton of games. I <3 the PSP.

But I really dislike the 3000 model because of the scanline issues,color oversaturation and backlight bleeding when not using the oversaturated "Wide" color mode. But the 1k and 2k have worse screen response time. Trying to play side scrolling games on the 1k will actually most likely give you a headache as it did for me.

So it's like pick your poison!

The PSP Go is supposed to have the best screen of the lot. But you'll have to hack it to play UMD games(As ISO's)

#27 ubdu

ubdu

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

the PSP has a FANTASTIC underappreciated library. I've owned 3 PSPs since launch day and a ton of games. I <3 the PSP.

But I really dislike the 3000 model because of the scanline issues,color oversaturation and backlight bleeding when not using the oversaturated "Wide" color mode. But the 1k and 2k have worse screen response time. Trying to play side scrolling games on the 1k will actually most likely give you a headache as it did for me.

So it's like pick your poison!

The PSP Go is supposed to have the best screen of the lot. But you'll have to hack it to play UMD games(As ISO's)

You must have super sensitive eyes. I have a red GOW PSP 2000 and a Ratchet & Clank 3000, and they're pretty much identical in screen display to me!

157446.png1971290-1-GregGale.png

#28 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

You must have super sensitive eyes. I have a red GOW PSP 2000 and a Ratchet & Clank 3000, and they're pretty much identical in screen display to me!

It's incredibly easy to see the issues with the 3000 display(At least for me. I have cursed eyes). And I wish it wasn't that way. Because the response time is fantastic.
If my 2nd 1k didn't break 2 years ago because of some crappy replacement part that didn't fit, i'd still use that for the majority of stuff. I'm planning on getting a Go here one day just to see if it solves my screen issues and is as good as they say.

Want to see it close up, here you go
courtesy of Eurogamer

https://images.eurog.../3000_1.JPG.jpg

Notice the Sawtoothing like edges instead of sharp pixel shaped ones

Compare that to
PSP-1k https://images.eurog.../1000_1.JPG.jpg
PSP-E1k https://images.eurog... /><br /><br />

#29 Fabrizo

Fabrizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

PSP has a smaller library for sure, but it by no means has an "aweful" library. I own about 70 games for it, and the vast majority of them are quite good. A few off the top of my head:

Badman series (aka. "What did I do to deserve this, My Lord!?" 1&2 and "No Heroes Allowed)
Brave Story: New Traveler
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Disgaea 1, 2, and Infinite
Dissidia: Final Fantasy 1 and 2
Fate/Extra
Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection
Gods Eater Burst
Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hexyz Force
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Medievil Resurrection
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Persona 1, 2 (Innocent Sin), and 3
Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2
Popolocois
Prinny 1 and 2
Star Ocean 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Ultimate Ghost 'N Goblins
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Ys I + II , Oath in Felghana, and Seven
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

#30 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm positive that PSP production for North America has been ceased for quite a while now.

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Monster Rancher Advance 2, :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Elansar, Pippin01.gif- Super Marathon
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Ducktales Remastered, 20g0cxd.png- Nothing