2013 Thrift Store Thread

• Please log in to reply
1463 replies to this topic

#391 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

I only have 2 goodwills near me and they are always picked over(I dont go too often though).

#392 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

I only have 2 goodwills near me and they are always picked over(I dont go too often though).

Word around the Thread is that Sunday was a good day to visit the Stores. :lol:

Just gotta keep visiting the stores and you'll find a gem on one of those days. During the summer, I managed to find some Skylander Figures for $1.99 + 50% Off and some other neat stuff.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#393 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

The only advice I can give that has worked well for me (other than going every day, which can get both tedious and disheartening) is to pay attention to the dates on the tags, and see which days of the week are more popular for restocking.

Sunday is usually a safe bet since Saturday's are one of the busiest days (they need to restock their shelves afterwards), though for one of my locals, Tuesday for some reason is when they restock the most, and I've found my best finds on those days. Really it's all about consistency, and eventually you'll find something decent.

#394 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Decided to try my luck at goodwill again and I'm glad I did. I actually feel kinda bad I got this deal.
Little brother needed a ds case and I wasn't going to buy him a brand new one. I paid 2.99 and I got home and opened it and here's what was inside.
Posted Image
Looking back on it, i'm surprised the cashier didn't open up the case when I checked out. I'm probably going to keep all of them except for Mario and Sonic.

#395 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Decided to try my luck at goodwill again and I'm glad I did. I actually feel kinda bad I got this deal.
Little brother needed a ds case and I wasn't going to buy him a brand new one. I paid 2.99 and I got home and opened it and here's what was inside.
Posted Image
Looking back on it, i'm surprised the cashier didn't open up the case when I checked out. I'm probably going to keep all of them except for Mario and Sonic.

nice! there's no need to feel bad about that. If you hadn't bought it they probably would have been stolen by the end of the day.

#396 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

That's awesome. I always get excited over stuff like that. Just the other week, I bought my son a Blue's Clues game and there was a copy of Pokémon TCG for PC in the case. Fuck yeah.

#397 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image

Dude one time one of the older ladies where I used to work sent a cib copy of Spyro for the gba up to the register to sell in the showcase. I opened it up, full gba games. She marked it at $1...

It sold as soon as a customer seen me open it. Do not feel bad about this. This was a lack of knowledge on the store's behalf. The cashier will be fine and at no risk of losing her job.

Always, always check your cases when buying. You may get some extras, from stacked discs to memory cards.

#398 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

The only advice I can give that has worked well for me (other than going every day, which can get both tedious and disheartening) is to pay attention to the dates on the tags, and see which days of the week are more popular for restocking.

Sunday is usually a safe bet since Saturday's are one of the busiest days (they need to restock their shelves afterwards), though for one of my locals, Tuesday for some reason is when they restock the most, and I've found my best finds on those days. Really it's all about consistency, and eventually you'll find something decent.

Sunday is the last day for the stores to meet budget. They're working extra hard to put stuff out. The store I worked at, we hung less clothes on Sunday, and sorted more wares.

#399 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

I always check the game cases to make sure discs are inside since a lot of them get stolen near me. I still don't know why I didn't check while in the store but it sure made for a nice surprise.

#400 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Pink ds lite w/ broken hinge, nerf armor, and nsmb - 2.75

Silver ds lite w/ Mario kart - 16

6 GC games including Mario sunshine - 10

#401 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Stopped by a goodwill today after my brother's wrestling meet.
Posted Image
Gameboy works but I need a charger now >.<

#402 Pirate331

Pirate331

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Model 2 Genesis w/ 2 of the 'fancy' six button controllers, no cables: $49.99... #-o
Posted Image
Earn money by filling out mindless surveys!
http://www.cashcrate....php?ref=200970

#403 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

First great thrift store haul!!

Drove 2 hours south today for something and hit a random thrift store on the way back.

Picked up

Super Smash Bros. N64: $4
Donkey Kong 64: $4

And 2 HUGE boxes of Atari and colecovision stuff. Haven't looked through it all yet, but there are about 50 games, a colecovision console, a ton of controllers, an Atari xe, a 7800, I think a 5200, and some other Texas Instruments games. All for $40

The guy at the store was extremely nice and it was cool to visit a thrift store with a down to earth employee and non jacked-up prices

#404 evuong

evuong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Today, I saw tamagotchi's for $40 a piece

#405 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

Today, I saw tamagotchi's for $40 a piece

In for three!

#406 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

First great thrift store haul!!

Drove 2 hours south today for something and hit a random thrift store on the way back.

Picked up

Super Smash Bros. N64: $4
Donkey Kong 64: $4

And 2 HUGE boxes of Atari and colecovision stuff. Haven't looked through it all yet, but there are about 50 games, a colecovision console, a ton of controllers, an Atari xe, a 7800, I think a 5200, and some other Texas Instruments games. All for $40

The guy at the store was extremely nice and it was cool to visit a thrift store with a down to earth employee and non jacked-up prices

Great finds! Post some pictures if you get a chance, would love to see whatcha got in the boxes of Atari and Colecovision stuff.

#407 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Nothing video game related last weekend, but I did pick up an electronic Catchprase Junior for $2, never seen one of them before (though I've regularly picked up the regular electronic versions for around $0.50 to $1 each). Turns out the Junior is a bit more rare than the standard edition, so just a heads up to CAGs who are interested in other flippable (and easily shipped) items.

#408 wheels

wheels

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

found a good condition Dreamcast controller with memory card and a Dreamcast av cable today, paid $7 total

#409 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

I found this to be quite humorous today. I started gathering everything for my taxes and rounded up all of my receipts and these are my receipts just from Goodwill last year. This isn't even all of them. Some had gotten wet, messed up and otherwise illegible before I could get them filed and were thrown out:

Posted Image

There are hundreds there to go through, and I can't wait to add it all up and see just how much I've spent just at Goodwill in the past year.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm filing quarterly from now on. :hot:

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#410 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

^ At first, I thought it was a wad of cash. :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#411 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

^ At first, I thought it was a wad of cash. :lol:

Hah, I wish. That's probably the wad equivalent of what I'm going to owe this year. :lol:

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#412 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

I found this to be quite humorous today. I started gathering everything for my taxes and rounded up all of my receipts and these are my receipts just from Goodwill last year. This isn't even all of them. Some had gotten wet, messed up and otherwise illegible before I could get them filed and were thrown out:

Posted Image

There are hundreds there to go through, and I can't wait to add it all up and see just how much I've spent just at Goodwill in the past year.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm filing quarterly from now on. :hot:

What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipts? Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.

needler420.png

#413 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

FINALLY! Now I can actually play that Xbox I got weeks ago.

Black Controller S, Green Controller S- $4 apiece

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#414 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipt. Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.

I'm a reseller, and it's all a part of business. The only difference is I have a CPA taking over this year, instead of dealing with it myself,

#415 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipts? Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.

I don't itemize my taxes, but my understanding is if you do so, and get audited, you will need all those receipts to prove to the IRS that your deductions are legitimate.

#416 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

I don't itemize my taxes, but my understanding is if you do so, and get audited, you will need all those receipts to prove to the IRS that your deductions are legitimate.

It's normally not worthwhile to itemize your deduction unless you have spent alot via sales tax, or you were really sick and can deduct medical

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#417 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

I think if you make donations you can use them as a write off but as far as purchases that should only be for personal use.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.

needler420.png

#418 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

I think if you make donations you can use them as a write off but as far as purchases that should only be for personal use.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.

I think the point is that it's his primary income. So he needs to know how much profit he made, so he can legally pay taxes on his profit.

elessar123.png

#419 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I think the point is that it's his primary income. So he needs to know how much profit he made, so he can legally pay taxes on his profit.

Exactly. I resell online full-time (technically, part-time, since I'm also a stay-at-home dad), and ~95% of the things I buy from GW are business-related, and I need them to calculate and possibly prove, in the case of an audit, my gross profit. The stuff I sell doesn't just magically appear, and the purchase of the merchandise is a business expense.

Unfortunately, we were sloppy with our record-keeping this year (new baby really throws a wrench in the operation), so I have to go through the receipts one by one to make sure I pull the receipts that weren't 100% business related.

#420 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just thought this song is kinda suiting for this thread:

xivpads.png