2013 Thrift Store Thread

yourlefthand

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I figured I kick off the new year with a new thread.

I'll try to update the top with particularly great finds and tips and tricks.

#1: Don't get discouraged! Keep looking and eventually you will find the good stuff.

#2: Branch out! Look for other thrifts to go to. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ is a good source for finding new thriifts. I've had some luck with google places and yelp also.

#3: Branch out more! If you are looking for flips, try to learn about other items that may be worth reselling (see peep with his cameras and lenses). If you aren't looking for flips, try looking at clothes or kitchen items for yourself or family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post my last find here: Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (in jewelcase) for $1 and Creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook edition brand new for $10.

Reposting here, since it was technically this year:

Hit Goodwill for day one of the new year and had a decent day. I found a TON of plush, new with tags, most of which should sell pretty quickly. I also found a near mint copy of The Hobbit (the original animated film) on DVD. Cheapest price on Amazon is $35, and it should sell fairly quick. The only thing that sucks is my GW raised their DVDs back up to $3.

I also picked up Ghost Hunters Season One and an odd copy of Ghost in the Shell DVD. The case is clear and the insert is the double-sided white hair version, and the disc itself is region free. It looks way too good to be pirated, but maybe an import or something.

20130102_101820.jpg

Added a second pic showing the disc and inside of the case:

20130102_114259.jpg

Edit: The only thing I found that is troubling is the word "Boardcasting"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Seraphinianus']isn't that GITS: Innocence?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's the original GITS. I watched it last night.

Finishing up my mini-adventure from the last thread:

Went to Goodwill when they opened at 9 this morning. Pokémon was gone, but Fire Emblem was still there. $5, disc & case only, no manual.

L05an.jpg

Was on my local round of thrifting yesterday. Picked up Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Collectors Edition w/Gold Cart) at the value village - complete in the box for $20. Looked it up on ebay with my phone just before buying it and the cheapest complete copy on ebay is going for around $70 to $80. This should definitely sell fast.

...pics or it didnt happen, right?

...did I mention that the cartridge was in excellent shape? And the manual was not bad either. The box is a little bent on one side, but such is life. Cant complain in the least for $20. :D

[quote name='sp00ge']
I also found a near mint copy of The Hobbit (the original animated film) on DVD. Cheapest price on Amazon is $35, and it should sell fairly quick.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this bit of information. I have a copy I inherited from my father-in-law that I thought was trash. Might have to dig it out and sell it while all this Hobbit craze is going on.

Nothing big for me last weekend, I did pick up :ps2: Kingdom Hearts 2, black label for $2.50, never got around to playing any of the games from the series, and I heard this is a good enough place to start (though I'm sure I'm going to miss out on a few things).

I an jealous of your store's ability to get in video games. My local thrift store only has disc-based games and most of them are either old sports games, DDR games, or old Player's Choice/Greatest Hits titles.

Grabbed today - $1.99 each

Pokemon sapphire gba
Donkey kong country gba

The guy brought these out of the back for me, he also said he had a Mario smash melee GC CIB in the back but he couldn't find it :( hopefully tomorrow. It pays to make friends with the employees. Pretty cool guy though, I gave him a snes power adapter today cuz he needed one for his system.

Oh and in case anyone missed it, the other day I grabbed The Cirque Du Soliel 12 disc collection for $1.99!!! Flips for around $150 :)

Recent finds:

Pelican universal arcade stick for ps2/xbox/gamecube - $7
68vjew.jpg

And all of these for $3 each
jj4293.jpg

Also picked up for the gameboy:
Kid Icarus - $2

man you guys get all the good stuff all my thrift stores have garbage around here and the only store that does get good games sells them pretty much at ebay prices

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']man you guys get all the good stuff all my thrift stores have garbage around here and the only store that does get good games sells them pretty much at ebay prices[/QUOTE]

I go thrifting every day after work. That is the only way to get the deals...go every day, or almost every day. In the last month (from what I can remember anyway), I have gotten at least 5 Gameboy Advance SPs (usually pay around $10 each for them and sell them for almost $40 each) 3 Gameboy Advances, 5 NES games complete in the boxes with EVERYTHING (mint too), a bunch of Genesis, NES, SNES, Gameboy, and N64 games (too many to recall and list). Also got 5 copies of Windows (2 copies of Win7 and 3 of Vista - one was the Vista Product RED edition so I got more for that one). A couple copies of Microsoft Office (2007 and 2003 - sold both). A Dreamcast complete. 2 N64s complete. A gamecube complete. A modded Xbox 1. A clear, see-thru original Gameboy. 4 Gameboy colors. 1 Gameboy Pocket with matching camera. A kinect pretty-much NIB. Many GJ Joe & Ninja Turtles action figures. A complete set of Pokemon KFC special edition plushes. 14 or 15 Nintendo Wii Games. 5 Texas Instruments graphing calculators (4 TI-83+'s in 1 day, and a TI89 Titanium a week prior). 2 complete sets of Tiger Laser Tag guns with glasses (sold for $60 for each pair). A Sega Genesis 3 console (the mini Sega console). A Sega Nomad portable console. A PSOne console complete with both controllers and all cords. A PS2 slim console w/all cords and HD component AV cable. A vintage Texas Instruments Speak & Spell from 1983 complete in the box, as well as a Texas Instruments Speak & Read from 1980 in great shape. Many NERF guns & accessories - too many to count (over 20). Some Xbox 360 games. Some PS3 games. A metal detector I sold for $100 (paid $15). An Xbox 360 phat model I sold for $80 (paid $10 because they said it was RRoD'ed but it worked perfect - they probably turned it on and tested it without the AV cord in it probably...) Many HDMI cables. Seasons 1 - 11 of South Park on DVD in excellent shape. A couple seasons of Reno 911 on DVD. A couple seasons of Chapelle's Show on DVD. A stand-alone DVD duplicator tower with 4 Plextor drives in it. A Blu0Ray player with built-in WiFi. A couple 12" Sony 1200 watt sub woofers. A Magellan GPS. A like-new Kenwood car receiver. 2 sirius satellite radios with all cords. A couple cell phones. A vintage GI Joe jet. A Halo Warthog. Lots of cheap board games. A CPU/GPU liquid cooling system. A wireless video surveillance system w/2 cameras. Some Makita, DeWalt, Black & Decker, and Craftsman power tools and chargers/battery packs. Also picked up a stack of sealed Disney VHS movies still in the original shrink wrap. A 27" monitor with HDMI inputs. etc. etc. etc. The list goes on... There is more stuff, but that is all I can remember off hand. I have found a couple pretty rare PC games as well, and a vintage set of pool balls that look pretty darn old. Also got a bunch of free weights and a bar so I can work out at home instead of having to go to the gym every time.

As far as the mint, complete NES games go, I scored the 5 of them in one trip a week ago for $5/ea at the local value village (except for Hoops which I paid $3 for) - Hoops (complete, mint), Kings Quest V (complete, mint), Shadowgate (complete, mint), The Chessmaster (complete, mint), Swords and Serpents (complete, mint), and Wizardry (complete, mint). They all have all their paperwork in them, and some of the stuff is still in the original bags inside. It blew my mind how someone could take such good care of them just to donate them to the value village 25 years or so later. Crazy.

I drop a lot of money at the local thrift stores to support my eBay habit. Its a great, fun hobby and I make good money at it too so I cant complain. The hardest part is being a reseller instead of a collector, as it is hard for me to sell some of the stuff I find like the 5 mint, practically NIB complete NES games I found, and the CIB copy of N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition I found recently (gold cart - complete in box with everything!).

I go thrifting every day practically though. Its one of my hobbies, it gets expensive though so I have to sell quite a bit of the stuff I buy online in order to support my habit, heh. ;)

I go thrifting every day after work. That is the only way to get the deals...go every day, or almost every day.

I think I mentioned this in the previous thread, but this advice is totally YMMV. Going to the thrifts here every day would be a complete waste of time, they simply don't stock the shelves enough to make it worth it.

Anyways, the only decent find at Goodwill this evening was a 2012 Furby that was salvaged from Target which I picked up for $10. The box is a bit crushed, and was taped shut, and it's missing any manuals or documents that came with it, but the Furby itself is still brand new. It should flip for $35 - $40.

[quote name='spmahn']I think I mentioned this in the previous thread, but this advice is totally YMMV. Going to the thrifts here every day would be a complete waste of time, they simply don't stock the shelves enough to make it worth it.[/QUOTE]

Damn, your GW sucks! It's probably one of the GW's that puts all the good stuff on their site.

[quote name='spmahn']I think I mentioned this in the previous thread, but this advice is totally YMMV. Going to the thrifts here every day would be a complete waste of time, they simply don't stock the shelves enough to make it worth it.

Anyways, the only decent find at Goodwill this evening was a 2012 Furby that was salvaged from Target which I picked up for $10. The box is a bit crushed, and was taped shut, and it's missing any manuals or documents that came with it, but the Furby itself is still brand new. It should flip for $35 - $40.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel man. Most of my finds at GW aren't really game-related and are usually Plushies, Books, Toys, Board Games, and a few Dvds. The Video Game Department for my area is sorely lacking or is not being taken off. Even when I find something good, the discs are usually stolen anyway. I don't think they stock the old stuff, thinking that its trash or something. Either that, or some Employee buys almost all the good stuff when they see it. :lol:

The best things I got there was a Sega Dreamcast with Wires and 2 Controllers/2 VMUs for $15, a Gamecube with Mario Kart DD for $10, Skylanders Starter Set for $30, couple Skylander Figures for .99-2.99, and 15 volumes of Naruto Shippuden for 15. Maybe I'll strike this year.

[quote name='lude21']Damn, your GW sucks! It's probably one of the GW's that puts all the good stuff on their site.[/QUOTE]
Mine probably does that, they have some people who would know their videogames. Otherwise, it's just girls in their early twenties to their middle forties working there.

[quote name='lude21']Damn, your GW sucks! It's probably one of the GW's that puts all the good stuff on their site.[/QUOTE]

My gw seems to restock whenever there is space or when the DVD/game section is not filled

The last few times I've gone to the GW's around my house, I've seen one or two games, with eBay price tags. All but done.

I've had better luck at Savers or Half-Price Books.

Went to GW today. It was funny to see about 30 copies of :360: DJ Hero 2 for 9.99. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

[quote name='Olengie']Went to GW today. It was funny to see about 30 copies of :360: DJ Hero 2 for 9.99. Other than that, nothing worth noting.[/QUOTE]

I hope you grabbed them all! Those are a great flip! ;)

I found a dreamcast console only today for $10, it powers on but I can't find my av cable to test it out.

Also got 2 nirvana cd's and a bad religion cd for $1 each!

[quote name='chetofvern']
imagenaz.jpg

Found all this today on a run in Boise Idaho for 11 dollars total :)[/QUOTE]

Nice finds! Especially at .99 cents each!!

Yeah i was pretty shocked to find non greatest hits cases but in the ff7 case it was disk 1 2 and 3 greatest hits version but a extra disk 3 non greatest hits o well still awesome !

My local thrift store actually had DJ Hero II Legends of Rock controller for $20. I can get it for $3 on eBay. XD

[quote name='yourlefthand']I was just joking around. Isn't dj hero pretty dead at this point?[/QUOTE]

Lol. I know. Yeah it is, the games are like .99-1.99 at Gamestop.

[quote name='DNukem170']My local thrift store actually had DJ Hero II Legends of Rock controller for $20. I can get it for $3 on eBay. XD[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Guitar Hero 3. :)

Gotta get a pic

Got an autographed Brent Spiner CD for $2. (The autograph looks legit, when compared to his autograph in the past several years)

It's in the car or I'd get the title. Not bad stuff really.

[quote name='DNukem170']My local thrift store actually had DJ Hero II Legends of Rock controller for $20. I can get it for $3 on eBay. XD[/QUOTE]

The guitar controller? For what system? Because the wireless guitars for the 360 and PS3 go for $50+ all the time on eBay and Amazon.

I just found two GH3 guitars for the PS3 at GW today for $2, once I get them cleaned up and tested, they are going straight to Amazon, where they usually sell within a day or two.

I've seen more than I've bought. The goodwill near my work had 2 GBA's for $2 each, but I didn't have a dime on me then. I bought NHL 2001 for the pc for 2.50, it was still sealed. I also recently bought a Dreamcast, no cables or controllers for $4. I still don't know if it works, but it was funny because I randomly saw it in a bin of women's underwear. I know some are wondering, no there were no good panties in there.

[quote name='sp00ge']The guitar controller? For what system? Because the wireless guitars for the 360 and PS3 go for $50+ all the time on eBay and Amazon. [/QUOTE]Sorry, I mistyped. It was Guitar Hero 2. No idea what system, it was behind the counter with a bunch of crap in front of it.

I see those guitars all the time for $4 apiece, I figured noone bought that crap anymore which is why theyre sitting on GW shelves. I always have a good laugh when I see DJ Hero stuff on Craigslist for $30+ because Big Lots has stacks of them for $25 new.

after seeing this thread i decided to check out my local thrift stores... Goodwill had TONS of new games but all were Target clearance with the target price crossed out and a HIGHER price labeled on it..
did pick up Crash Team Racing (PS1) at Community Aid complete with no scratches for $3.99

Goodwill becoming bureaucratic! Just like the govt making money from the ignorant and poor by selling them lottery tickets, GW flipping goods for profit.

Thought they exist to help the unfortunate and not trying to sell them stuff that are more expensive than new.

[quote name='Daring']Goodwill becoming bureaucratic! Just like the govt making money from the ignorant and poor by selling them lottery tickets, GW flipping goods for profit.

Thought they exist to help the unfortunate and not trying to sell them stuff that are more expensive than new.[/QUOTE]

Goodwill exists to provide jobs and training for disadvantaged propel. I think some of their prices are too high, but the stores exist to make money.

Another so-so weekend, only thing I found worth getting was :wii: Beatles Rock Band in mint shape for $5. Higher than I would normally spend, but this is one of the few RB / GH games that has mostly held its value over time (for obvious reasons). I was in a hurry that day, didn't get to check to see if they had the matching guitars (which the Beatles exclusives can sell for a bit).

Also I remember seeing NBA 2K3 for GCN there, but now I'm second guessing myself, not too sure if it was NCAA 2K3 instead, I really have to memorize the valuable sports games (I don't have a smart phone / tablet to check vgpc.com on the fly :cry:).

I saw NBA 2K13 and Just Dance 4 for the Wii U at my goodwill. 2K13 was priced at $40 and Just Dance was $35. Passed on both, but thought it was weird that Goodwill had Wii U games. Also saw a copy of Forza Horizon there.........for $50 :roll:

HA the difference between my 3 local GWs is amazing.

1. had $4 on a NES game that had a $1 sticker from the used gamestore right next door, had $16 on a dirty cartridge only Super Mario Bros 3.

2. Nothing, lookin especially crappy today

3. The one that had the $28 Little Mermaid VHS.........complete Mario Kart 7 and Super Smash Bros Melee without the instructions I picked up for $7.54!

[quote name='yourlefthand']Goodwill exists to provide jobs and training for disadvantaged propel.[/QUOTE]
I work with several Goodwill employees, and I'm glad I work with them. They are fun and really good people.

Major haul today. Parasite Eve II basically new, a couple of vintage lenses and about 100 lbs of Lego. I spent a lot but will recoup quite a bit and then-some after some flipping.

Picked up a PS2 Slim today for $15. Same store had a PSX the other day $19.99, console only with no cords or controllers :roll:.

Hoping another Xbox pops up soon. Thinking about making a slim box, since I've been on a bit of a modding streak lately.

So far this month I have found a pink GBA SP in great condition for 8$, and Mario Party 5 for 3$ complete so awesome! I am going tomorrow to checkout more. I am a greedy pony need to make sure I clean out before the others and video game store employees come in

Picked up a Cisco wireless router for $5, nothing is wrong with it. I guess the previous owner just wanted to upgrade to Wireless N.

Anyway, I already flashed it with DD-WRT and I'm thinking about using it as a bridge to put next to my TV so I can hook up my Xbox to my network again.

[quote name='Peep']Major haul today. Parasite Eve II basically new, a couple of vintage lenses and about 100 lbs of Lego. I spent a lot but will recoup quite a bit and then-some after some flipping.[/QUOTE]

Do random loose legos have any value? I see them from time to time, but I wasn't aware of them selling for a whole lot on eBay.

bread's done
Back