Best 7 inch tablet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'm considering dumping my HP touchpad since the battery life seems subpar with ICS installed. What 7 inch tablet is the best right now? I'm leaning towards the nexus 7 since I have credit at gamestop. Thoughts?

#2 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have the Nexus 7 and I really like it. Wifi works great and I've had no lockup or freezing issues in the 4 months i've had it :) The full Google play app store is available - it's kind of like an Android phone but larger. I picked up a $10 case and screen protector for it and no issues.

Lots of customizable options too, just like a phone.

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#3 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I recently played with the iPad mini and it is pretty sweet (though expensive). Even though there is no retina display the small screen looks GREAT. Battery life is also good.

I also played with a MS Surface tablet for about 5 minutes and it seemed really cool too - same interface as Windows and you can log in using your XBL account. The keyboard cover is really nice and MS Office appears to work great.

So I have no idea. I am also in the market for one in the next year or so and there are a lot of options.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#4 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Nexus 7... The GPS function, does it work without WiFi/data plan?

#5 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I had the chance to play with the iPad Mini over the new year from a friend. It's light and responsive, but I find it annoyingly difficult to switch between browser and app (for example, I have the browser showing a music sheet and the piano app to play it). The four fingers swipe is not a familiar command for me (I couldn't do it with ease). On the other hand, I was able to switch between apps on the Android with ease.

#6 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nexus 7... The GPS function, does it work without WiFi/data plan?

From what I've read you can use maps offline if you download them. So I guess if you have a destination prior to leaving a wi-fi area you can plan your route and download it.

#7 FidelityNy

FidelityNy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Go with the Nexus 7. My sister and father both have one and they both love it. Are you going to sell the HP Touchpad? If so, how much were you looking for it and what is the condition?

#8 jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I love my ipad mini. Fits perfectly in my hands for game play and travels awesome. Graphics and all still look good on it too

#9 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

From what I've read you can use maps offline if you download them. So I guess if you have a destination prior to leaving a wi-fi area you can plan your route and download it.

Ah, good to know, thanks!

#10 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Just got the Ipad Mini a few days ago and love it. Also had the first Kindle Fire and thought it was decent for the price.

Edited by bobo2k4, 04 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#11 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Go with the Nexus 7. My sister and father both have one and they both love it. Are you going to sell the HP Touchpad? If so, how much were you looking for it and what is the condition?

Yes, I'm going to sell the touchpad. The condition is like new, had it in the case since day one and haven't had it out of the house too much. It has the HP case and I also have the Touchstone charger. I guess PM me an offer.

#12 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

The Nexus 7 is slick. I would definitely recommend it. I haven't had hands on experience with it for very long, but so far it's perfect.

#13 Sycowulf

Sycowulf

Somewhat Damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'm going to go ahead and also say the Nexus 7. Easily the best deal as far as all tablets are concerned.

#14 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

I will confirm that GPS still works offline, sort of. If you program your route while connected to Wifi, it will track you and still give you directions. However, if you take a wrong turn or something, it won't be able to reroute you - you'll have to go back to where you originally went off the path. Still works pretty well :)

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#15 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I will confirm that GPS still works offline, sort of. If you program your route while connected to Wifi, it will track you and still give you directions. However, if you take a wrong turn or something, it won't be able to reroute you - you'll have to go back to where you originally went off the path. Still works pretty well :)

Ah, I see, thanks so much for the info, appreciated!

#16 Syranth

Syranth

Formerly WormFOODx

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

My Nexus 7 was the ONLY purchase I made last year where I had no buyers remorse. I get remorse about spending ANY money so this is saying a lot. It's fast, I haven't had any crashing issues, very customizable (although you don't have to), sideloading is a snap (for example the xbox smart glass app wasn't initially supported but I sideloaded it on), and you can install the Amazon app store for some healthy competition between app sellers.

The Tegra chipset by Nvidia is awesome as well and the graphics resolution was pretty impressive for a non-retina display (but the iPad mini isn't either so there ya go!).

I can't recommend enough.

#17 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#18 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I ended up getting a nexus 7 mainly due to the Gamestop credit I had but I'm digging it so far. I like the smaller 7 inch tablet form factor and it's so much lighter than the touchpad. The battery life is better than the touchpad or at least sleeps better...probably due to the custom android rom on the touchpad. Overall though it's a great device. Happy with the purchase.