Has anyone ever had an issue with ThinkGeek?

guinaevere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
I placed an order this morning (home sick, wanted to spend money to cheer myself up) for a portal atlas replica gun. They have a free shipping deal at the moment, and so I decided I would splurge. When I went to check out, there were no free options, so I took at look at their free shipping explanation, and it said it would show up at the last page of the transaction. I chose the cheapest shipping and then...

There were no further pages which read, "Congratulations, you get Free Shipping!!", it was pretty much click, done.

After emailing them asking why the purchase didn't receive the free shipping bonus, they replied saying that "do [SIC] to the specifications of that particular item exceeds the weight requirements and has to be shipped a different way." Okay, they don't know how to spell and their grammar sucks. But more importantly, wouldn't it have been nice if they specified that on the product page? There is no statement about this on the page. The only thing of any note is "Shipping restrictions: We cannot ship this item outside of the U.S."

My reply to their email was that if the CS rep or his supervisor couldn't remove the shipping costs, I will have to cancel my order. Most likely they won't care if I cancel, as there's a notice on the page that the last time the item was available it sold out in 20 minutes. So most likely they'll have more than enough customers who will happily fork over the $140 + shipping.

This is disappointing. I've enjoyed browsing their site over the years and when i finally am in such a "poor me, i hate being sick!" mood and buy something cool... they screw me.

As they've been around a while, and are fairly well-known and appreciated amongst, well... geeks, i'm guessing no one else has ever had problems with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Their free shipping deals are normally backed by a coupon, and I've yet to see them have issue with shipping an item like a Portal Gun replica (not that heavy nor that large in box size) under free shipping rules.

I've made numerous orders from them and never had any issues on the CS side of things, when I've needed to deal with them. I think the CS supervisor you'll get a reply from should take care of the issue.

Im haveing an issue with them now... My paypal order didnt go thru on xmas eve and i was forced to cancel my order, loosing on the deal and im still waiting for a refund. Going to contact them again today about it since i still have seen nothing. 24-48hrs my ass

Shrike, this free shipping deal specified needing no coupon or code; if your order is at least $75, it automatically qualifies and the free shipping is applied.

I received no reply from cs today, but I did receive notice that it shipped. checking the status of my order, I am charged shipping. I will call tomorrow (assuming they have cs coverage on the weekends) and inquire. if they give no satisfaction, unfortunately I must refuse the package upon arrival. not something I wish to do, but I feel my concern and clearly my notice of cancellation has been ignored.

lemonjelly-
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f008/

edit- looking at the page, the product is out of stock again and was limited to 5000 pieces. either there was a second run, or they stumbled upon one or two buried in a warehouse and I ordered at the right moment. rarity notwithstanding, I'm still irritated. over $13, granted. (over macho grande?) but it's the principle. and every penny counts, $13 is half of a copay... it makes a difference.

Didn't use any other offers, did you? No coupon codes for $5 off or get a free mini spy remote on a purchase of $20 or more? Because looking at the page for the promo, there's no reason why you shouldn't have gotten it.

I've good luck with their live chat.

The few times I've ordered from their site I've never needed a promo code for a promotion. The couple of times they've had free shipping (usually UPS Ground) it applied to my order automatically.

The one time I had a problem I placed an order for about $300 worth of stuff on a Friday night and then Saturday morning they started a new tiered promotion to the effect of Spend $50+ save 10%; Spend 100+ save 20%; Spend $150+ save 30%.

Well the savings were significant so I did live chat and told them I either wanted to A) Cancel my order and reorder or B) Get a credit in the amount of the difference that I would have saved

It took a little bit of haggling but they eventually did issue a credit; I have to tell them that the only option they were leaving me was to refuse the shipment which would have been unfortunate for both parties and they agreed.

Good luck though... I can't think of any reason why the promotion wouldn't have applied to your order

finally called and spoke with a very sweet Miss Ashley. She spoke with a supervisor and she stated that ThinkGeek will refund the cost of shipping. Yay.

bread's done
Back