Photo
- - - - -

Get $5 Gift Card at Best Buy for trading in ANY old cell phone + other small devices

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Didn't see this posted anywhere else on CAG and didn't really know what forum it went in so decided this was as good as any.

Saw this on the BB website and went to my local Best Buy with 3 old flip phones I had each several years old. About 15 minutes later walked out with a $15 gift card. Decent deal if you have old cell phones collecting dust in a drawer like I did. Can also turn in other "small devices" (working or not) listed on the website too. Obviously, newer devices on their lists with greater trade in values will net you greater gift cards, but pretty sure this is the first time they've taken in anything, on their list or not. Limit 3 devices per day. Here's the link w/ details:

UPDATED: Offer valid until Feb. 2

http://www.bestbuy.c...=1312731&loc=01

Edited by lawdood, 27 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

th_w03j81.gif  

#2 FEN1XD0WN

FEN1XD0WN

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

where do you do the trade-ins in the store?

#3 Techman16

Techman16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

where do you do the trade-ins in the store?

Usually around customer service.

#4 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

When I walked in the girl at the front told me to take the phones to Mobile. The guy there then took me back to gaming where he processed my trade-in.

th_w03j81.gif  

#5 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Not sure when it ends.

The link you posted has this on it: Offer valid January 1–19, 2013.

#6 sgand

sgand

Aim for the flat top

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I wonder if they'll take my old Treo that has a broken screen.

#7 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

The link you posted has this on it: Offer valid January 1–19, 2013.

Thx, must have missed that, I'll add it to the OP.

th_w03j81.gif  

#8 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this. Called my local Best Buy and they told me to bring my old phones in. I got 3 old ones hoping to turn into $15. Thanks OP.

#9 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Someone should bring in an old NES and try to trade it in since consoles are covered in the fine print. ;)

Thanks for the info, OP. I have four old, junk cell phones and a few bad MP3 players to trade in. I wouldn't be able to get anything for these normally.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#10 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Do you need all the cables etc for the phones plus show it powers on etc?

#11 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Someone should bring in an old NES and try to trade it in since consoles are covered in the fine print. ;)

Except the old NES is worth more than $5.

I have a ton of old broken electronics too, but I wonder if things need chargers, cords, etc, even if they are broken...

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life 24-Hour Marathon Charity!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata

#12 usagi

usagi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Except the old NES is worth more than $5.

I have a ton of old broken electronics too, but I wonder if things need chargers, cords, etc, even if they are broken...

I brought in a broken camera, and two old phones. One phone was missing the power cable. Overall most people have no problems trading items in categories listed.

Check if your item is listed here to reduce chances of rejected trade ins

#13 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

With the phones I brought in, no chargers or anything were with them and BB took them back with no problem.

I brought in a broken camera, and two old phones. One phone was missing the power cable. Overall most people have no problems trading items in categories listed.

Check if your item is listed here to reduce chances of rejected trade ins

Actually, with this deal, the item doesn't necessarily have to be in their system to get a $5 giftcard for. There's a post regarding this deal on SD and people there are reporting that as long as the item is a "small device" as such listed in the link in the OP above, BB will even put in a generic type code and give you a $5 giftcard for it. I guess YMMV on that...

th_w03j81.gif  

#14 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

I actually have a bin of old broken Genesis and PSX systems, I think I may take a few in tomorrow and see what happens.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life 24-Hour Marathon Charity!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata

#15 Yo Mama

Yo Mama

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

To do this in the easiest way possible for you, go to fatwallet and print out the memo that best buy sent to their own employees, dated Dec. 12. In that memo, it says explicitly that if the item is not found in the system, they should process it as recycle and give you $5 in gift cards. Easiest to bring in the memo with you instead of fighting a multi-hour battle at best buy

#16 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

To do this in the easiest way possible for you, go to fatwallet and print out the memo that best buy sent to their own employees, dated Dec. 12. In that memo, it says explicitly that if the item is not found in the system, they should process it as recycle and give you $5 in gift cards. Easiest to bring in the memo with you instead of fighting a multi-hour battle at best buy

Nice! It took a little searching, but I found it and printed it out. Looking at the details, this memo might open the door to some otherwise non-tradeable stuff. I'm going to take a few random things that normally wouldn't work (a dead HDD, a broken console, etc) and see what happens.

#17 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Nice! It took a little searching, but I found it and printed it out. Looking at the details, this memo might open the door to some otherwise non-tradeable stuff. I'm going to take a few random things that normally wouldn't work (a dead HDD, a broken console, etc) and see what happens.

Can the link to said memo be posted or does that break TOS?

#18 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Can the link to said memo be posted or does that break TOS?

I try avoiding dick moves like direct linking to someone else's files, but here's the post with the link:

http://www.fatwallet...2108/#m17462108

#19 Irukandji

Irukandji

Gold Guns Girls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I just threw a ziplock bag full of old flip phones into a bag that I dropped off at goodwill. Fuck me.

card.png

#20 black_hand313

black_hand313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Wish I'd known that before. Brought in 5 old cell phones on Sunday and Best Buy refused them because they weren't in the system

#21 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Do they care if there are any protectors or shields on the phones?

#22 MrDubbs

MrDubbs

The Luck Of The Irish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

I might have to try this. I just upgraded from a Droid X2 and they're saying it's worth $52 on the site. I don't have the original charger though, just an after market one from Verizon, not sure if that will affect it at all

#23 Randolph4233

Randolph4233

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Has anyone other than the OP actually had this deal work for them? I have some old phones that I would like to trade in, but I'm just waiting to see if this deal really works, or if it's just YMMV.

#24 Rob26Smith

Rob26Smith

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yea I have some ancient nokias that would like to trade away. Wonder if it would work.

#25 m6oo

m6oo

Bicycle Repair Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Yea I have some ancient nokias that would like to trade away. Wonder if it would work.

On Tuesday (1/8/13) I traded in an old Pentium 1 laptop with no hard drive, a broken Sony camera, and an ancient Motorola startac cell phone with no battery and just a car power cord hanging from it. Got a $15 gift card.

Have some old Tracfones I'm going to trade in next time I'm at BB.

My question is, has anybody gotten this promo to work with anything besides a laptop, tablet, cell phone, camera, mp3 player, or game system?

I've got tons of old junk to take in like zip drives, scanners etc.

#26 Yo Mama

Yo Mama

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone other than the OP actually had this deal work for them? I have some old phones that I would like to trade in, but I'm just waiting to see if this deal really works, or if it's just YMMV.

I did it last week, but I was denied the first time because they couldn't find the items in their trade database and had to come back with the printed instructions. Total time was 2 hours to trade two devices, "I can't find these items, let me ask my manager...they are too old", etc.etc. Once I had the instructions, it took about 15 minutes.

#27 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have a metric Fuck-ton of old as crackberries from my business as well as other "small electronics" that I can't get a thing for (cordless phones, etc.). Time to get some creds...

Heh, anyone know if old internal hard drives, DVD players/burners, keyboards, mice, various cables, and power strips qualify as "small elecontrics"? :D

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#28 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I have a metric Fuck-ton of old as crackberries from my business as well as other "small electronics" that I can't get a thing for (cordless phones, etc.). Time to get some creds...

Heh, anyone know if old internal hard drives, DVD players/burners, keyboards, mice, various cables, and power strips qualify as "small elecontrics"? :D

I tried trading in an old parallel switcher and was told it didn't qualify. The camera and phone (that wasn't in the system) did. Time to head to storage and see what other old crap I can find.

#29 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Probably any consumer device that isn't an individual component will qualify. It's just a recycling initiative.

#30 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I tried trading in an old parallel switcher and was told it didn't qualify. The camera and phone (that wasn't in the system) did. Time to head to storage and see what other old crap I can find.

FLOL, I have so much old ass electronics shit, I will just take it in by the hefty trashbag and see what works and what doesn't. Helps to have a store literally a couple of blocks from my office.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif