Photo
- - - - -

Get $5 Gift Card at Best Buy for trading in ANY old cell phone + other small devices

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#31 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Has anyone other than the OP actually had this deal work for them? I have some old phones that I would like to trade in, but I'm just waiting to see if this deal really works, or if it's just YMMV.

Check the thread for this on slickdeals, plenty of people there have gotten it to work on their old cell phones.

th_w03j81.gif  

#32 GaryYam

GaryYam

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

thanks .

#33 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

AWESOME timing!

I went through and was cleaning my apartment when I found an old Walmart bag full of old junk cell phones! I (almost) threw them out, since I knew they weren't worth anything.

Those are going to get taken in, as well as some old non-working IBM Thinkpads I've been hanging onto!

#34 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Heh heh heh...I even threw some happy meal toys that have sound chips in them in my trade in sack...should be fun trying to convince them they are "small electronic devices". Too bad it's not small ELECTRIC/ELECTRICAL devices, otherwise I might just take in light bulbs and batteries...:lol:

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#35 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I wonder if they would take VCR's.

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#36 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

They didn't check the camera or cell phone I brought in. The offers says working or not, so I'd assume it's not YMMV, but as with all things Best Buy, YMMV.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#37 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

MWAHAHAHAAAA, success! The employee in the games section handling the trade-ins didn't know what would qualify, so he called a manager over who actually thanked me for bringing in my electronics to trade in and shook my hand, I kid you not. No doubt they track the trade ins for this by store and use some metric(s) of this for employee/store/management performance.

Employee asked if I could trade the stuff in (mainly because it was complete junk) and the manager just looked at him, put a finger on the employee's lips, went "SSSSHHHHHH..." and winked. :lol:

Nah he just said absolutely, and to call him if there are any problems.

That said, the broken old cordless house phones, old usb hubs, and a couple of broken knock off third party dreamcast controllers didn't give the $5 promo, so the manager came over and gave me bonus values for them of $5 each.

The way it's supposed to work is, if the item isn't found by item lookup/scan, they are supposed to hit the "recycle" button and it has to be for one of the categories that appears that are part of the promo. Once they click on a category that is part of the promo, once they fill out any necessary info on the item and add it, it will add the $5 promo automatically. Otherwise, YMMV on a manager adding a bonus value manually.

I decided not to attempt to trade in power strips, AC adaptors, miscellaneous A/V and computer/peripheral cables, and the other knick knack electronic junk (never mind batteries and light bulbs), at least for now. I told a female friend about this promo and her response is "small electrical devices...you mean like dildos?" :lol: I laughed so fucking hard I was crying. I can picture somebody walking into Best Buy and plopping a dildo down on the customer service desk asking "where my $5 gift card at?"

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#38 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

MWAHAHAHAAAA, success! The employee in the games section handling the trade-ins didn't know what would qualify, so he called a manager over who actually thanked me for bringing in my electronics to trade in and shook my hand, I kid you not. No doubt they track the trade ins for this by store and use some metric(s) of this for employee/store/management performance.

Employee asked if I could trade the stuff in (mainly because it was complete junk) and the manager just looked at him, put a finger on the employee's lips, went "SSSSHHHHHH..." and winked. :lol:

Nah he just said absolutely, and to call him if there are any problems.

That said, the broken old cordless house phones, old usb hubs, and a couple of broken knock off third party dreamcast controllers didn't give the $5 promo, so the manager came over and gave me bonus values for them of $5 each.

The way it's supposed to work is, if the item isn't found by item lookup/scan, they are supposed to hit the "recycle" button and it has to be for one of the categories that appears that are part of the promo. Once they click on a category that is part of the promo, once they fill out any necessary info on the item and add it, it will add the $5 promo automatically. Otherwise, YMMV on a manager adding a bonus value manually.

I decided not to attempt to trade in power strips, AC adaptors, miscellaneous A/V and computer/peripheral cables, and the other knick knack electronic junk (never mind batteries and light bulbs), at least for now. I told a female friend about this promo and her response is "small electrical devices...you mean like dildos?" :lol: I laughed so fucking hard I was crying. I can picture somebody walking into Best Buy and plopping a dildo down on the customer service desk asking "where my $5 gift card at?"

Maybe TMI, but my old lady has a broken one. I should have her do it. :applause:

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#39 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

damn kark is king
I traded in 3 old cells ... and my GBA put me over the 3 limit... so that went back in the bag...
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#40 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Maybe TMI, but my old lady has a broken one. I should have her do it. :applause:

Seriously, please do. And make sure you film it!!!

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#41 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Now I wish I had some broken electronics lying around the house. :cry:

#42 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Traded in 4 old/broken cell phones, a broken portable DVD player, and a pair of cheapy walkie talkies that I got for free years ago.

They didn't power up anything or ask for chargers or cords. But, for all the cell phones, they did remove the batteries and scanned the IMEI numbers. For the walkie talkies, they counted them separately instead of a pair; no idea why. The portable DVD player gave them trouble because it was a DVD player, but it was also "small" and the ad was for "small electronics." They ended up entering it as a "handheld gaming console" and I was on my way.
26.2 | 13.1

:ps3: Tomb Raider (MP only)
:ps3: PS+ IGC

#43 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hmm... do we have a list of what comes up when they hit "recycle" exactly?

This intrigues me greatly...

#44 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hmm... do we have a list of what comes up when they hit "recycle" exactly?

This intrigues me greatly...

It's probably the same list of categories that you find online at their trade-in page. Like karkyco said, if the category that the CS rep enters for the item isn't considered "small electronics," then the $5 promo is a no go. The GSR girl told me that they don't know exactly which categories are included, but cell phones are a definite. They just keep looking for a category that fits the item and that gives the promo.

The CS rep told the GSR girl (who knew how to do the phones and everyone at CS was going to her for help) that she tried "DVD player" and "DVD movies" and it "wouldn't go." GSR girl kept telling the CS rep different categories (they were all ones that I've seen on BBy's trade-in page) to try until they finally gave up and used the handheld gaming one for my portable DVD player.
26.2 | 13.1

#45 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Big bag of cell phones netted $90. I plan on hunting around my house for more. I know I have a broken portable DVD player and some broken walkie-talkies.

#46 BLAZETIGER

BLAZETIGER

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Quick question for anyone who has done this. Do they require your ID or fingerprint like when trading in a game?

#47 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Quick question for anyone who has done this. Do they require your ID or fingerprint like when trading in a game?

They do require ID at my BB.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 9/2/2014   DragonCon 2014 Cosplay      |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#48 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I would love to do this I have like 6-8 old AT&T phones from my old job but knowing my Best Buy it would just end up being a real pain in the butt to get this to work right there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#49 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Just tried to recycle mine and apparently there has to be a receipt or something because I would have to go to a different Best Buy because the first one doesn't have the license to recycle electronics.

#50 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Does this promotion work on [corded] mice? I have a used PS2 controller as well that I wouldn't mind getting rid of along with an old cell phone.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#51 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

So, I re-read the fine print in the Best Buy e-mail:

"Small device means any product in the following categories: laptops, tablets/eReaders, mobile phones, MP3, gaming hardware (console & handheld), DSLR, digital point & shoot, and digital camcorder."

I guess some of us got lucky with our trade-ins.
26.2 | 13.1

#52 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Gonna start digging through my boxes of old crap

NighT_Ryder31.png

#53 Only One Haze

Only One Haze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Anyone tried external hard drives?

#54 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Ended up trading in 5 old AT&T flio phone with no real problems at my local Best Buy. Plus the girl who waited on me was super hot and didnt seem like the complete bitch you would think she was by looking at her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#55 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Traded in 4 old phones without any hassle. $20 GC for some junk I had lying around the house...

Posted Image

#56 Chicago Mafia

Chicago Mafia

Nerd Herd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

I went to a Best Buy in Chicago and they said no store within Chicago city limits can do it because of city laws. But they recommended a few stores in surrounding suburbs. I guess I will try a store in Norridge, IL.

#57 Daniel09

Daniel09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Do they care about Batteries or battery covers? I have 5 samsung gravies. Three missing batteries, one missing batttery cover and a CRACKED Iphone 3g. Even if the value is 0, they will credit you $5?

Trade in your gently used small device — working or not — and receive a Best Buy gift card for the value of your trade-in, worth a minimum of $5.

This part confuses me.

#58 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Even if the value is 0, they will credit you $5?

This part confuses me.

The least they're going to give you is $5. So yes, zero value will equal five bucks.

#59 Daniel09

Daniel09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Just got back from bestbuy. Have three giftcards worth $45.

#60 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

My Best Buy rejected my 2 cell phones. Dont know why. Gonna try another one while I'm out tomorrow.