Photo
- - - - -

Get $5 Gift Card at Best Buy for trading in ANY old cell phone + other small devices

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

I went to a Best Buy in Chicago and they said no store within Chicago city limits can do it because of city laws. But they recommended a few stores in surrounding suburbs. I guess I will try a store in Norridge, IL.

Instead of driving out there, check their trade-in page first. It will give you a list of trade-in stores in your area.
26.2 | 13.1

:ps3: Tomb Raider (MP only)
:ps3: PS+ IGC

#62 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

So this wouldn't work for broken iHome's or a baby monitor?

Just shit I need to get rid of

#63 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

this is slightly off topic, but i found this pretty funny. It is from a sd poster
"I did the same thing, went to several stores in one day miles apart. They flagged me today, said that I was no longer able to trade in devices. The manager told me that I was not welcome to trade in any more items...Posted Image

Consequently, my wife was also flagged in the system. We had a hay day throughout the week, as we had tons of electronics from a cell phone liquidation auction 5 years ago. But, up to today, I have traded in over 140 cell phones, and 80 mp3 players.

So, technically, I was flagged for abusing. But, to make the record straight, the system has a real limit...

What is hysterical was that the manager was so angry,as if I committed a crime, and told me that I was abusing the system, stating that the program was designed to bring in customers, and not to lose money for the store. Bottom line he finished up telling me I wasn't welcome to trade in any more items from now on .....I wouldn't be able to trade any more items at his Best Buy. So, I called corporate, and they told me that the GM of the store has a right to place a limit on trade ins, and they told me in the fine print, that the store has a right to refuse. I checked a different Best Buy, and to confirm...they told me that I hit the "Max" on trade ins, and I couldn't trade in any more items." LMfao

#64 Daniel09

Daniel09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

this is slightly off topic, but i found this pretty funny. It is from a sd poster
"I did the same thing, went to several stores in one day miles apart. They flagged me today, said that I was no longer able to trade in devices. The manager told me that I was not welcome to trade in any more items...Posted Image

Consequently, my wife was also flagged in the system. We had a hay day throughout the week, as we had tons of electronics from a cell phone liquidation auction 5 years ago. But, up to today, I have traded in over 140 cell phones, and 80 mp3 players.

So, technically, I was flagged for abusing. But, to make the record straight, the system has a real limit...

What is hysterical was that the manager was so angry,as if I committed a crime, and told me that I was abusing the system, stating that the program was designed to bring in customers, and not to lose money for the store. Bottom line he finished up telling me I wasn't welcome to trade in any more items from now on .....I wouldn't be able to trade any more items at his Best Buy. So, I called corporate, and they told me that the GM of the store has a right to place a limit on trade ins, and they told me in the fine print, that the store has a right to refuse. I checked a different Best Buy, and to confirm...they told me that I hit the "Max" on trade ins, and I couldn't trade in any more items." LMfao

You traded in 140 phones and 80 mp3 players in this promotion alone? Do you know if they take cracked screens? I made $45 yesturday. Only thing I have left is a 11 year old camcorder and a cracked iphone.

#65 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

You traded in 140 phones and 80 mp3 players in this promotion alone? Do you know if they take cracked screens? I made $45 yesturday. Only thing I have left is a 11 year old camcorder and a cracked iphone.

no, it was not me. I got it from a poster on sd, who posted about the experience, after abusing it to death.

#66 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I just cashed in 6 phones today and got a $30 gc. That was so sweet, thank you for the heads up on this. too bad it ended today, I found out too late. I can probably collect a lot more old phones from people.

#67 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I just cashed in 6 phones today and got a $30 gc. That was so sweet, thank you for the heads up on this. too bad it ended today, I found out too late. I can probably collect a lot more old phones from people.

well, you are in luck. Apparently, they extended it till feburary, but who knows how long it will last with the abuse ,lol
http://www.bestbuy.c...cat284200050009

#68 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

omg, that's freakin' crazy. Thank you for that tip. I'm going to be abusing it as bad as I can.

#69 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I wonder if they'll take an old, classic broken GameBoy?

#70 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

What type of walkie talkies are you guys trading? Mind got turned down today. The look just like the ones they use in the store.

Saw the extension this morning. That's great!

#71 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

What type of walkie talkies are you guys trading? Mind got turned down today. The look just like the ones they use in the store.

Saw the extension this morning. That's great!

They were very, very low quality walkie talkies that I got for free from a hospital party giveaway. So crappy that I don't even think there was a brand name on them. Definitely kids' toys. Best Buy counted them as 2 separate items so I got $10 for the pair. I got lucky for sure with that trade-in.
26.2 | 13.1

#72 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

They were very, very low quality walkie talkies that I got for free from a hospital party giveaway. So crappy that I don't even think there was a brand name on them. Definitely kids' toys. Best Buy counted them as 2 separate items so I got $10 for the pair. I got lucky for sure with that trade-in.

Thanks, I'll try again!

#73 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, I'll try again!

It ended Saturday, so I doubt you will be successful.

None of the local BB near me can do the trade-in without a receipt because of the county laws regarding hazardous material (in this case, batteries). Closest BB that will do it is almost an hour away.

#74 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

It ended Saturday, so I doubt you will be successful.

None of the local BB near me can do the trade-in without a receipt because of the county laws regarding hazardous material (in this case, batteries). Closest BB that will do it is almost an hour away.

It ends February 2 now...

#75 mer71

mer71

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I traded in 12 cell phones yesterday. They rejected 2 MP3 players, because they were not in the system. Customer service would only take 3 items. But the mobile desk took all 12.

mer71.jpg

#76 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

no, it was not me. I got it from a poster on sd, who posted about the experience, after abusing it to death.

It's hilarious that he makes $1,100 in shitty trades and complains for being banned for it. What did he expect would happen? Those SD people are ridiculously greedy. I'm surprised they EXTENDED the promotion, since SD typically ruins everything that can be exploited. :roll:
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#77 ck76

ck76

Winter is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Of course I see this thread day after it is over. :D

Aw well, old mobile phones not taking up much space anyways.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#78 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Of course I see this thread day after it is over. :D

Aw well, old mobile phones not taking up much space anyways.

It's not over. It was extended until Feb 2

#79 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

It ends February 2 now...

Not sure what you guys are looking at. The deal is now $25 for old tablets through 2/2, not the same thing.

#80 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

try this link http://www.bestbuy.c...cat293300050004

#81 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I don't see anything about hard drives, do they work too?

#82 parKer

parKer

CheapyT Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

Go for it.
26.2 | 13.1

#83 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Go for it.

It's not too late...

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4

:dvd:-Blade Anime
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#84 Daniel09

Daniel09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Got another $10. Took old psp and 10 year old camera. Did not take my broken iphone, they couldn't get the MEID from phone.

#85 SirConnery

SirConnery

You're The Man Now Dog!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I've seen this in local ads but it has a limitation of 3 items per person, per visit.

#86 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

nah, I cashed in 6 the first time

#87 vegeta21x

vegeta21x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

so, were u able to trade in some hard drives?

#88 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I didn't make it up there yet, I'm waiting until it warms up a little. I'll post back whether it worked or not though.

#89 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Not sure what you guys are looking at. The deal is now $25 for old tablets through 2/2, not the same thing.

Heh heh heh, I have an old Mimo that looks like a 7" tablet, going to try to trade it in for the $25. Worst case I'll get a $5 GC.

As for hard drives, I have a pile of internal hard drives and CD/DVD drives, however given that I tried other computer parts/accessories/peripheral devices and those would not come up under any of the acceptable categories, I doubt they will give the $5 on them.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#90 strizay

strizay

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I hope it's not just tablets. I have more phones to trade in. I'm going to head out in a bit to find out. I'm not going to bring the hard drives though, they probably will not work.