Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy New Year Sale (Includes 10 Select Vita Games $10-$20 off) *Sale is Live*

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#121 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well played, Best Buy. Well played.

#122 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

keep seeing sale prices in my head while trying to sleep...and for some reason a price glitch on Gravity Rush for $0.19. lol

gah back to bed......go away sale price images.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#123 chaosbob86

chaosbob86

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Might be interested in Gravity Rush and Ridge Racer depending on prices.

Maybe Uncharted as well if it's under $20.

if you're willing to spend about $20 for gravity rush or uncharted why not get the 3 month PS plus for $18? you get both and can beat them within 3 months.

#124 chicubs223420

chicubs223420

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Might be interested in Gravity Rush and Ridge Racer depending on prices.

Maybe Uncharted as well if it's under $20.

Dude, just sign up for playstation plus and you get Uncharted and Gravity Rush. $50 for the whole year and then you will continue to get free games monthly!

#125 ritchardf

ritchardf

add ritchardf on psn and xbox live

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

no different than the red "clearance" tags at walmart on stuff that is regular price

#126 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm sure this is just a glitch. Best Buy has never put full price stuff in a sale link before that I'm aware of.

#127 midloo

midloo

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

no different than the red "clearance" tags at walmart on stuff that is regular price

The difference is that this is Best Buy and when they send out an email saying "these items are on sale," they are on sale.

I'm hoping they discount these a bit yet today. I'd jump on one or two of them for even $5 - $10 off.
Posted Image

#128 thunder2

thunder2

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's not just about being able to play the games. My PlayStation Plus subscription is good through December 2016 but I'm still interested in picking up Uncharted and Gravity Rush. Memory card space, the ability to resell/trade-in/lend/give-away the games, having a packaged retail product to own/collect/display... The list goes on. Some people will never let go of physical games. I'm one of them.

#129 3rdamention

3rdamention

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Gotta love the quote at the top of the SALE screen:

"Choose from hundreds of items at discounted prices."

Uhmmm, actually not, but we made you look!

#130 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Anybody bring up this sale on their official forum?

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#131 htz

htz

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

The difference is that this is Best Buy and when they send out an email saying "these items are on sale," they are on sale.

I'm hoping they discount these a bit yet today. I'd jump on one or two of them for even $5 - $10 off.

Yeah that has been my experience, it just that if the prices don't go live like the rest it takes them awhile to update them. If it was gamestop I wouldn't had started this thread cause they are known to advertise MSRP as sales.

Anybody bring up this sale on their official forum?

I just made a post on the BB forum. Might take awhile to get a response though.

#132 midloo

midloo

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yeah that has been my experience, it just that if the prices don't go live like the rest it takes them awhile to update them. If it was gamestop I wouldn't had started this thread cause they are known to advertise MSRP as sales.

Thanks much for starting this thread. The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts :)
Posted Image

#133 htz

htz

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks much for starting this thread. The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts :)

Yeah same here, I really want Smart As... for my vita, and I'm sitting on tons of gift cards and rz points.

#134 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Where did you post it? I made on in the bestbuy.com section. Let's see if we can get some prices down everybody!

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#135 htz

htz

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Where did you post it? I made on in the bestbuy.com section. Let's see if we can get some prices down everybody!

Gaming support section.

#136 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Yeah same here, I really want Smart As... for my vita, and I'm sitting on tons of gift cards and rz points.

Likewise, although I think I'm going to just cave and snag it before it goes off digital sale (currently $20 on the PS Store I think).

#137 Fresh8142

Fresh8142

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

wow and I thought nothing could top Amazon Gold Box disappointment, BB has proven me wrong

#138 BlueSwim

BlueSwim

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I just had an exchange of messages over Twitter with someone from Best Buy customer service. Here's the conversation:

---

Me (@BlueSwim): @BestBuy What is going on with your PS Vita games sale?They are clearly listed as being a part of the New Years sale, yet are not discounted

Best Buy (@BestBuySupport): @BlueSwim Which games are you referring to specifically? Do you have a link so I can take a look at what your seeing? ^Kevin

Me: @BestBuySupport Sure. From this page, I click on "video games": [New Years Sale & Clearance Link Here] It takes me to here: [Video Game Category Link Here]

Me: @BestBuySupport The video games section lists 25 items on sale, ten of the PS Vita games, but said Vita games have no discount whatsoever.

Me: @BestBuySupport Other items have their sale prices listed, but for some reason the Vita games are the same prices they have been for a while

Best Buy: @BlueSwim I apologize if there was any miscommunication on our sale and I will be forwarding this information to our business teams. ^Kevin

Me: @BestBuySupport Thanks, Kevin! :)

---

Hopefully, this issue will be resolved shortly.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2266
Menage a 3 - It's like Archie without the bullshit.

http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=7899
Eerie Cuties - Vampires in high school. Don't worry, no sparkling.

Posted Image
Twitter - Bitter. Spiteful. Funky.

#139 kinjutsu11

kinjutsu11

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

You realize Sony hasn't turned a profit in 4 years, right?

Incorrect. Their last quarter was profitable. Their gaming division hasn't been profitable in about that much time though, but Sony will still be around as its many different branches offset each other.
And the Vita certainly isn't helping their bottom line, as much as I love mine.

#140 kinjutsu11

kinjutsu11

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I just had an exchange of messages over Twitter with someone from Best Buy customer service. Here's the conversation:

---

Me (@BlueSwim): @BestBuy What is going on with your PS Vita games sale?They are clearly listed as being a part of the New Years sale, yet are not discounted

Best Buy (@BestBuySupport): @BlueSwim Which games are you referring to specifically? Do you have a link so I can take a look at what your seeing? ^Kevin

Me: @BestBuySupport Sure. From this page, I click on "video games": [New Years Sale & Clearance Link Here] It takes me to here: [Video Game Category Link Here]

Me: @BestBuySupport The video games section lists 25 items on sale, ten of the PS Vita games, but said Vita games have no discount whatsoever.

Me: @BestBuySupport Other items have their sale prices listed, but for some reason the Vita games are the same prices they have been for a while

Best Buy: @BlueSwim I apologize if there was any miscommunication on our sale and I will be forwarding this information to our business teams. ^Kevin

Me: @BestBuySupport Thanks, Kevin! :)

---

Hopefully, this issue will be resolved shortly.

Lol, there should be a #vitaMSRPsale hashtag. I had no luck in store with these vita games.

#141 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Incorrect. Their last quarter was profitable. Their gaming division hasn't been profitable in about that much time though, but Sony will still be around as its many different branches offset each other.

He's not incorrect if their annual numbers show losses. He didn't say a quarterly profit.

#142 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Preface: I'm not saying anyone is wrong.

There seems to be a mountain of contradictory positions on this topic. By way of example, if you listen to Podcast Beyond (IGN) they repeatedly claim that Sony's games division is the only one that is making a profit. (in contrast to Televisions, camera's, pc's and other electronics)

#143 Stele

Stele

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I know this is CAG and everything, but Sony reported a 7th consecutive loss for 2Q12. They reported a slight operating profit, which isn't bottom line, from selling their chemical business. Sony, and really Japan Inc. in general, are dinosaurs. You look up Sony's last annual report and it's Kaz with a great motivation quote, "Sony will change." LOL, too little, too late. Japan is gonna fall off the face of the earth in 10 years.

It's all publicly available information:

http://quicktake.mor...aspx?symbol=sne

#144 kinjutsu11

kinjutsu11

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

He's not incorrect if their annual numbers show losses. He didn't say a quarterly profit.

He also didn't say annual. He said hasn't posted a profit in 4 years, and they have. Not trying to argue, and I do agree with him on the conflicting reports of their game div versus their others. In the beginning of the ps3 era, it was certainly the reason they lost money, though now its probably TVs as Samsung and lg eclipsed them. Their movie div is always solid, they actually had the highest market share worldwide in 2012.
Again though, meant no offense or argument in case people thought so. I don't know you, but I still love you :)

#145 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I know this is CAG and everything, but Sony reported a 7th consecutive loss for 2Q12. They reported a slight operating profit, which isn't bottom line, from selling their chemical business. Sony, and really Japan Inc. in general, are dinosaurs. You look up Sony's last annual report and it's Kaz with a great motivation quote, "Sony will change." LOL, too little, too late. Japan is gonna fall off the face of the earth in 10 years.

why do so many people seem to revel in watching companies / products fail these days? I hope they pull out of their purported tailspin - I'd rather they make lots of money and continue to make consoles/games for us to enjoy for years to come instead of them vanishing and saying 'LOL, too little, too late'. Yeesh.

#146 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

No replies yet after an hour of posting on their forum, my post keeps being passed over for others, can't get a response in the other one either. Maybe somebody dun goofed, maybe they are looking into it. I'd advise maybe more people to post in unboxed so we can get an answer. Takes like 2 minutes and would help your fellow CAGs get this straightened out. Make a phone call, do something at least, right?

Posted Image

#147 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Why do you have such an affinity to some foreign company that gives no shits about you? The game industry will always be around, but the players and landscape will be different.

Since I'm sure this will all be wiped by a mod in the near future - I have an affinity for the game industry as it exists today and Sony happens to be a part of it, I'd say the same about Microsoft or Nintendo. It's not like Sega came back and started making consoles again after they left the console stage - the entry cost to a company trying to step up to fill the void if Sony failed would be unfathomable. So we'd only have two options instead of three. How long would that last?

I'm sure you're right - the game industry will always be around in some form and I'm sure the current form of the game industry is on its way down. I'm just not ready to embrace the new bite size game/tap the tablet form the industry is taking and I'm feeling really stubborn about it.

#148 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

"Hey therealdanhill,

Thanks for the heads-up! I've confirmed with our merchant team that these games should reflect sale prices and not their normal MSRP. We're working to address the issue as quickly as possible and should have their respective listings updated soon."

Welp, there ya go guys.

Posted Image

#149 kinjutsu11

kinjutsu11

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

No, I would still lean more towards you being wrong and wrong. Like I already said, Sony is not running a healthy conglomerate. Opportunistically selling their chemical business and other earnings management shenanigans, and they got a small army of MBAs and finance people doing this shit, does not mean they have a viable business model. There's way too much noise in quarterly earnings, which is why annualized financials are more objective. No one cares if Sony made money during the 5th second of the 21st day of February for instance.

No one may care, but my post was in response to someone else, and in the context of that, I was wrong about last quarter being profitable but right about them posting a profit within the last 4 years, even if it was for a fraction of a second. Just because you find it wrong and wrong, doesnt mean it is. And I am not arguing if Sony runs a healthy business or not....as long as I get products and services from them that I enjoy, I'm happy, whether they're in the red or black. I'd obviously prefer them in the black.

#150 Rango

Rango

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

sales up !