• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 usrevenge

usrevenge

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145587

got good reviews, it is 2.5in so should work and fit in ps3. Not sure if shipping is free but it's still not bad for 500gb.
edit:
deal is now over for that one but there is a 1TB HDD for $80 people might be interested in
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822149377

Edited by usrevenge, 05 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#2 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

7200 rpm, hmmmm

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#3 Barnolde

Barnolde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

7200 rpm, hmmmm

Better than 5400rpm. I've had a 7200rpm drive for years and it's faster and there isn't a heating or noise issue.

#4 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Anyone here have any experience with these drives?

Kinda tempted to jump on this vs. waiting for a decent deal on a WD Scorpio Black drive or similar or larger size.

#5 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Good price, but those bad reviews are making me want to hold out for something more reliable.

#6 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Wtf Barnnehold get your own avatar

#7 Darthchi71

Darthchi71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Doesnt look half bad, i already upgraded to 500gb a couple years ago. PS3 can take a 5400rpm or 7200rpm. so for those who are skeptical about that, its fine.

#8 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I am so running out of space on my ps3 slim and was waiting for an inexpensive hd. Wish I did not have to do this but it seems inevitable. Will I llose anything in the transfer and is it fairly trouble free? I think I may bite on this deal depending what you guys say .

#9 normal79

normal79

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Im very interested in this. Need more memory on my PS3, but I still have an old FAT one. Would this work with it?
Posted Image

#10 Darthchi71

Darthchi71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

You gotta backup your system with an external that is fomatted to fat32 (only way ps3 will read it) and then restore it onto your new hard drive once its installed.

to be 100% honest. its super easy. i just googled it, watched a couple vids. and changed it out in 10 minutes. that doesnt count the back up and restore time of course :P

but its easy, and totally worth it. i went from a 80gb (metal gear solid bundle fat version) to a 500gb.

there are also vids on how to make a partition on an external in FAT32 format bigger than the default size.

if you cant get the external, just save your game saves onto a flash drive. and go through re-loading game data and whatnot.

#11 Darthchi71

Darthchi71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Im very interested in this. Need more memory on my PS3, but I still have an old FAT one. Would this work with it?

yea. i upgraded my Fat ps3. they all take 2.5" laptop hard drives.

#12 normal79

normal79

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

yea. i upgraded my Fat ps3. they all take 2.5" laptop hard drives.

Looks like im in for 1. Thanks!
Posted Image

#13 arionfrost

arionfrost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I was going to post this same deal. Thanks OP.

Jump on this drive people. It's a very flexible drive, these are some of the newer generation technology drives, the are 7mm thick so they can fit into any notebook or ultrabook. They are 6GBps Sata III, have 32MB cache, and are 7200RPM. They are second generation technology, so they are a bit faster and probably more reliable that they previous z5k500 drives that came out.

HGST is the budget line of Western Digital. Basically you get a getting the high performance western digital at a much lower price.

Here's a review, pay particular attention to the gaming performance with regards to PC games:
http://www.storagere...r_z7k500_review

Once you get rid of your PS3, you could go on to use this HD in something else like a gaming laptop or media center. Hell, you could probably use this to upgrade the PS4 or next Xbox, since more than likely MS and Sony will cheap out and use the lowest spec'd drives possible to conserve on costs.

Shipping is free as well.

#14 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Thanks all! I just ordered one!

I have watched a few videos. A bunch are different ways & some are quite complicated!

Also, anyone have a link to the youtube video or info that they prefer to use to do the transfer? Thanks!

Edited by JKooL, 04 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#15 arionfrost

arionfrost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks all! I just ordered one!

I have watched a few videos. A bunch are different ways & some are quite complicated!

Also, anyone have a link to the youtube video or info that they prefer to use to do the transfer? Thanks!

http://club.myce.com...s3-hdds-253692/

Search up HDClone, and do a bit-for-bit clone to the new drive, and then expand that partition. Hook up both drives to spare SATA ports on your computer.

It will take you many hours if you use the PS3's backup feature, because it has to do it over usb, not to mention you need an external HD big enough to back your stuff up.

#16 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for posting the review, I may go with the Scorpio Blue 750 gig for $15 more:

http://www.newegg.co..._-22136546-L05B

Since it performs better than this 7200 rpm drive

#17 MrBubbles

MrBubbles

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for posting the review, I may go with the Scorpio Blue 750 gig for $15 more:

No, it doesn't. The OP's HD is a 7200RPM with an additional 32MB cache, the Scorpio Blue you linked to has 5400RPM and 8MB cache, that is not faster. It's got an ample amount of HD space and a kickass speed, get the OP's HD.

I have two Black Scorpio HDs, one for my PC and one for my PS3. Both are 7200RPM, my PS3's cache is 16mb and my PC's is 64mb. Oh yeah, there is a big difference in loading/caching/installing speed. I just recently installed Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3, it took 20 minutes compared to 50 minutes on the default 5400RPM HD speed.

#18 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

http://club.myce.com...s3-hdds-253692/

Search up HDClone, and do a bit-for-bit clone to the new drive, and then expand that partition. Hook up both drives to spare SATA ports on your computer.

It will take you many hours if you use the PS3's backup feature, because it has to do it over usb, not to mention you need an external HD big enough to back your stuff up.

OK thank you. I am fairly tech oriented but......is there a tutorial you use and or like? Thanks!

#19 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

No, it doesn't. The OP's HD is a 7200RPM with an additional 32MB cache, the Scorpio Blue you linked to has 5400RPM and 8MB cache, that is not faster. It's got an ample amount of HD space and a kickass speed, get the OP's HD.

I have two Black Scorpio HDs, one for my PC and one for my PS3. Both are 7200RPM, my PS3's cache is 16mb and my PC's is 64mb. Oh yeah, there is a big difference in loading/caching/installing speed. I just recently installed Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3, it took 20 minutes compared to 50 minutes on the default 5400RPM HD speed.

I have to second the Scorpio Black being a great drive. It's fast, not any warmer than a 5400RPM drive, plus it's five year warrantied.

I just upgraded my Slim to a Scorpio Black 750GB and it works much better than the stock drive.

I have four 750GB Scorpio Blacks (HTPC x2, laptop, PS3) as well as two 500GB Blacks (HTPC x2) and two 320GB Blacks (external HDDs) and they've all been working without any issue. The 320GB and 500GB drives are three years old without any issues.

Can't say enough great things about the Scorpio Black drives.

#20 arionfrost

arionfrost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

OK thank you. I am fairly tech oriented but......is there a tutorial you use and or like? Thanks!

Well, I will let you know when I get the drive in. If you are just upgrading a drive, bit-for-bit cloning will most likely work. If you are swapping ps3's, I don't think there is a decent way to do backups yet other than the PS3's proprietary backup feature.

I suppose you can PM me for details.

In any case, if you are at all thinking about doing a drive upgrade on your PS3, I dont' think you are going to find a deal better than this drive. I've been looking for a while and decided to bite the bullet on this one.

#21 arionfrost

arionfrost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have to second the Scorpio Black being a great drive. It's fast, not any warmer than a 5400RPM drive, plus it's five year warrantied.

I just upgraded my Slim to a Scorpio Black 750GB and it works much better than the stock drive.

I have four 750GB Scorpio Blacks (HTPC x2, laptop, PS3) as well as two 500GB Blacks (HTPC x2) and two 320GB Blacks (external HDDs) and they've all been working without any issue. The 320GB and 500GB drives are three years old without any issues.

Can't say enough great things about the Scorpio Black drives.

Holy Guacamole. You must have a kickass setup for gaming and watching movies. Where do you live? I'll be over in a few minutes. :D

#22 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well, I will let you know when I get the drive in. If you are just upgrading a drive, bit-for-bit cloning will most likely work. If you are swapping ps3's, I don't think there is a decent way to do backups yet other than the PS3's proprietary backup feature.

I suppose you can PM me for details.

In any case, if you are at all thinking about doing a drive upgrade on your PS3, I dont' think you are going to find a deal better than this drive. I've been looking for a while and decided to bite the bullet on this one.

Truthfully, I should not have even spent the money on this but I have been waiting for a good deal & of course it comes at the wrong time..ya know?

Yes, I have a LOT of saves etc on my old HD I was to transfer. Why is nothing ever simple?

#23 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I was looking at this review posted:

Bottom Line

The Hitachi Travelstar Z7K500 is a capable drive, and the best performing 7mm drive from Hitachi to date. It has trouble topping Western Digital’s Scorpio Blue in most benchmarks but still offers one of the best combinations of performance and capacity currently available in this form factor.

Is this review not accurate then? The Scorpio Blue 5400 it was compared to is the 500 gig version of the 750 gig one I posted a link to. And since the PS3 doesn't need a 7mm size, I'm not sure exactly what the big benefit of this drive is over the WD Scorpio Blue.

#24 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I think we are at apples & oranges here. For me....it is a great deal & a better than stock drive, which is what I want.

#25 arionfrost

arionfrost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I was looking at this review posted:

Is this review not accurate then? The Scorpio Blue 5400 it was compared to is the 500 gig version of the 750 gig one I posted a link to. And since the PS3 doesn't need a 7mm size, I'm not sure exactly what the big benefit of this drive is over the WD Scorpio Blue.

On a PS3 I don't think there will be much of a difference honestly. PS3 is slow no matter what drive you go with. Go with whatever deal you think is best. Future wise, if you plan on using this hard drive with other devices after you PS3 outlives its usefulness, the Hitachi drive is probably better.

Kind of hard to argue with 250GB more storage for only $15.

#26 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

On a PS3 I don't think there will be much of a difference honestly. PS3 is slow no matter what drive you go with. Go with whatever deal you think is best. Future wise, if you plan on using this hard drive with other devices after you PS3 outlives its usefulness, the Hitachi drive is probably better.

Kind of hard to argue with 250GB more storage for only $15.

PS3 is SATA1, so a SATA2 or SATA3 drive won't make any real difference.

Increase in RPM of the drive and increase of cache on the drive will make a difference, yes.

The Hitachi drive listed in the OP will work without any real issue and even that drive is likely to be an improvement on any stock drive in a fat PS3.

A 320GB version of this drive or an earlier version of this drive was in my Slim before the 750GB Black went into it, so it's obviously a brand that Sony seems happy with.

#27 Hodaka

Hodaka

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've needed to upgrade my PS3 hard drive for a long time (heck, I think my drive is 40gig). This is the perfect opportunity at the right price. Thanks OP!

#28 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

You are awesome for posting this. $15 more for an additional ~250gb is well worth it and I have had no problems with WD drives as long as I've owned one.

FWIW, I didn't really notice a difference in speeds with a 7200rpm HDD installed in my PS3 (right now it's a Seagate 7200) versus the stock Hitatchi 5400, even though I know it's supposed to make things marginally faster.

I started to experience freezing with Syndicate with this Seagate HDD and I'm not sure if it's related to a non-stock RPM speed or not but I'll be sticking to the stock 5400rpm from now on.

#29 JKooL

JKooL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

You are awesome for posting this. $15 more for an additional ~250gb is well worth it and I have had no problems with WD drives as long as I've owned one.

FWIW, I didn't really notice a difference in speeds with a 7200rpm HDD installed in my PS3 (right now it's a Seagate 7200) versus the stock Hitatchi 5400, even though I know it's supposed to make things marginally faster.

I started to experience freezing with Syndicate with this Seagate HDD and I'm not sure if it's related to a non-stock RPM speed or not but I'll be sticking to the stock 5400rpm from now on.

I dont know much about them but this one only has 8mb cache vs 32mb on original post. That is 3 times less.

Edited by JKooL, 04 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#30 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I dont know much about them but this one only has 8mb cache vs 32mb on original post. That is 3 times less.

My friend has a 7200rpm and 32mb hdd on his ps3, while not the same one, and it gets pretty hot and makes much more noise. I think I'll be getting the $15 more unless someone here has tried the hitachi one on a slim before.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png