Should I fight this eBay buyer? [UPDATED 1/24]

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have outsmarted scammers in situations like this by responding to the effect of:

"Dear buyer, I'm very sorry you are having a problem with the code/DLC. I will contact Microsoft/Steam/EA/Origin and give them the information to see if and when it was redeemed or why it is invalid"

Typically I would get a response a few minutes later saying that they must of incorrectly entered the code because now it's working

I like this idea. Maybe you should try tricking the scammer by saying you are on the phone with Microsoft and that they are looking to see what day/time it was redeemed. It might scare him off.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#32 DerekVinyard

DerekVinyard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I looked up his feedback profile. More importantly his feedback left for others. He's only left feedback for 2 items which were both MSP/XBL codes. He left feedback for the 1600 MSP saying "First code didn't work, so he gave me another, no questions asked! Good seller!" Too much of a coincidence really.

#33 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

It was for a 3 month code and is really of no substantial loss for me. I have an issues with injustice though and would rather waste my entire weekend fighting this that to let him get away with another scam and move on to the next. It's not about my money at this point, simply hoping that he'll get what he deserves.

I filed a report for buyer abusing buyer protection on eBay yesterday. Maybe they'll actually look into it. I may contact the other sellers to see if they had issues. I know one did.

I 100% agree with you--Don't give in! But don't stress either. If it is any consolation if you do lose the case hopefully he will either get booted from eBay, lose his ability to file claims with PayPal or both.

I'll give eBay a little bit of credit because a few months ago they really did start cracking down on bad buyer behavior. They even went as far as to paying someone to make an algorithm that they can use to track habitual offenders (although no one knows what it is and it only took them 14 years to do it).

Also I have heard of buyers being notified by both PayPal and eBay that they can continue to use their services but that they will no longer have any buyer protection... I suppose that is similar to Best Buy notifying you that you can still purchase items at their store but that you will no longer have the ability to return items due to past behavior.

#34 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I 100% agree with you--Don't give in! But don't stress either. If it is any consolation if you do lose the case hopefully he will either get booted from eBay, lose his ability to file claims with PayPal or both.

I'll give eBay a little bit of credit because a few months ago they really did start cracking down on bad buyer behavior. They even went as far as to paying someone to make an algorithm that they can use to track habitual offenders (although no one knows what it is and it only took them 14 years to do it).

Also I have heard of buyers being notified by both PayPal and eBay that they can continue to use their services but that they will no longer have any buyer protection... I suppose that is similar to Best Buy notifying you that you can still purchase items at their store but that you will no longer have the ability to return items due to past behavior.

Thanks! I'm being optimistic. I submitted a PDF of the shipping label to PayPal yesterday and noticed that the date on the dispute got pushed back. Perhaps it was a coincidence, but maybe they're waiting to see if there's a physical delivery.

Also, I've contacted the other two sellers that I can see that he's dealt with. Now I'm waiting/hoping to hear back from them. We shall see.

#35 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hope you win but I doubt it. I lost a case for Halo 3 a year or so ago. Sold it to some guy in CA with delivery confirmation and signature. It showed it as delivered. Turns out the guy bought it from Canada, but he had me send it to his "house" in CA claiming he moved their a few weeks ago. Guy had over 500+ positive review, and I confirmed the new address so I went with it. He claimed he never got it. I refered paypal to the confirmation number ect ect. No go he still won. This battle went on for days, me even talking to ebay and paypal.

Evidently if you buy a product from Address A, then email the seller and ask for it to be sent to Address B, and the seller sends it to Address B, delivery confirmation/signature means nothing. You will auto lose. Dont know if it fixed it.

Also, the guy had his gamertag in his ebay profile. I even looked online and he was playing it since the day he received it. I sent all of that to paypal as well, and still nothing.

Although I did get him in trouble through Microsoft who banned his account (I befriended him on xbox live without him knowing who I actually was.) At least I got some sort of justice.

Good luck.

#36 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nice...

I just recently had a buyer try to open an item not as described case on a no refund item. I sent him a gameboy with sound issues clearly described in the description. That was the ONLY issue. When he received it he opens a case and says that one of the buttons dont work...which is BS because I tested it with a game (twice) and it worked flawlessly (except for the sound which I noted). I think it was that he did not fully read the description and did not know about the sound issue before getting the gameboy...which was his fault for not reading the full description that I took my precious time to write out.

So anyway, he opens a case and I get a message saying the A button does not work unless you are mashing it, which I KNOW is BS. I tell him to mail it back to me and as soon as I receive the gameboy in the mail and (a) verify it is the same Gameboy, and (b) verify the issue, I will give him a full refund. He messages me back saying that basically Im a piece of shit for not just refunding him and letting him keep the item, then tells me he took it apart and fixed it himself (which requires special tools to do)...

At this point I know its a scam so I tell him to either ship it back to me or to go Fuck yourself. Next thing I know the case is dropped and I get a neutral feedback from him saying that I sent him an item not as described and he had to fix it. I repair other tyes of consoles and I dont even have the special screwdriver necessary to open a gameboy because gameboys rarely ever Fuck up, and if they do its usually the sound or the screen.

Aynway, that is my latest story. Feels like a partial victory 'cuz I didnt have to refund that prick, didnt have to deal with a case, but instead got a worthless neutral feedback (which I reported the buyer to eBay for leaving me).

I can usually avoid scammers by not selling 1-time-use items, and by taking LOTS of pictures of my items and fully describing them. The fact that I had close-ups of the serial number on the back and all the identifying marks on the Gameboy may have saved my ass this time. Screw you eBay piss-ant scammers.

I know the muffin man!

#37 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hope you win but I doubt it. I lost a case for Halo 3 a year or so ago. Sold it to some guy in CA with delivery confirmation and signature. It showed it as delivered. Turns out the guy bought it from Canada, but he had me send it to his "house" in CA claiming he moved their a few weeks ago. Guy had over 500+ positive review, and I confirmed the new address so I went with it. He claimed he never got it. I refered paypal to the confirmation number ect ect. No go he still won. This battle went on for days, me even talking to ebay and paypal.

Evidently if you buy a product from Address A, then email the seller and ask for it to be sent to Address B, and the seller sends it to Address B, delivery confirmation/signature means nothing. You will auto lose. Dont know if it fixed it.

Also, the guy had his gamertag in his ebay profile. I even looked online and he was playing it since the day he received it. I sent all of that to paypal as well, and still nothing.

Although I did get him in trouble through Microsoft who banned his account (I befriended him on xbox live without him knowing who I actually was.) At least I got some sort of justice.

Good luck.

Haha that's pretty awesome xD Nice job.
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#38 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Good luck.

Yeah hopefully that's a lesson learned. 100% of the time you will lose a INR (Item Not Received) or an unauthorized use chargeback if you mail the item to ANY address OTHER then what is on the PayPal invoice.

To have seller protection against a INR case you must be able to show delivery (by means of DC if the item is $249.99 or less or Signature Confirmation if it is $250 or more [including shipping]) to the address / zip code on the PayPal invoice.

For an unauthorized use chargeback you just need to show proof of shipment (proof of delivery is nice but not needed) and it has to be to the address on the invoice as well.

#39 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I can usually avoid scammers by not selling 1-time-use items, and by taking LOTS of pictures of my items and fully describing them. The fact that I had close-ups of the serial number on the back and all the identifying marks on the Gameboy may have saved my ass this time. Screw you eBay piss-ant scammers.

If an item has a Serial Number I always make note of that on the PP invoice I keep for my records (I also staple the shipping label receipt to that invoice as well---they can come in handy for disputes).

That way if a buyer has a problem with an item and I'm forced to accept a return I can always inform the buyer I'll issue a refund as long as I receive the same item and according to my records it is the PS3/PSP/Xbox 360 etc. with serial number xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

That will stop most common scammers unless they are good enough to swap out the guts. If they continue to return something with a different serial number then you can open a police report and report the buyer for mail fraud. Once you receive a case number from either report you can upload that into the eBay or PayPal dispute and you should receive a refund---even if it is from PayPal/eBay instead of the buyer.

Fortunately I have never been in that position but that is pretty much standard procedure if you want to get your money back.

#40 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Another good way to defeat scammers, at least on stuff you can open prior to shipping like used items, or computer stuff like motherboards and whatnot...is you can use a small brush and a little paint and with the tip of the brush put a random splotch of paint on the item in a discreet area that either does not matter if it has paint on it, or that the buyer will never see. Then take a super zoomed in, close up shot of it to capture the "unique-ness" (as well as a panned out shot to show the exact location of the mark). That way if they pull shit you have picture of the unique marking you placed on the item. If the item you get back either does not have the unique marking, has the marking in the wrong spot, or the marking is in the right spot but it is not the same mark (it is a forgery to commit return fraud), you know they are full of shit and you have proof that they in-fact swapped parts or items on you.

Usually just advising the buyer that you have done this and the item will be checked to ensure that it is the same item that was shipped out will be enough to stop most scammers. I do this in addition to taking pics of all the serial numbers whenever I can. It has saved my ass a couple times.

If it does not scare the buyer from proceeding with an illegitimate case, it will ensure that they are not committing return fraud.

I know the muffin man!

#41 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I looked up his feedback profile. More importantly his feedback left for others. He's only left feedback for 2 items which were both MSP/XBL codes. He left feedback for the 1600 MSP saying "First code didn't work, so he gave me another, no questions asked! Good seller!" Too much of a coincidence really.

He got a taste and now he just can't stop.

It's one thing to rip off a faceless corporation (part of a larger point -> )... but to rip off individual users on eBay..? Disgusting.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#42 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

UPDATE! I received a response from one of the other sellers he has dealt with. I have saved the full eBay message as a PDF and added it to the PayPal dispute.

Here was the response:

Dear ticketusmaximus,

Hello! yes.after bought,He open claim "It was given to me via E-Mail, when it should have been delivered via my address. I checked the rules, and it even says that electronic goods cannot be sold on eBay" This was stupid reason.So I response "He asked "send by e-mail" (Sent Date: Dec-23-12 00:45:28 PST) Dear gaogaokytoh, "Hello! It being Christmas, I was wondering if there is anyway you can send me the codes via my E-Mail Address? I am going to be at my family members house, and am going to need it then and there. Thanks for a speedy reply! " - usmc_products So Why seller claim this??" and eBay has decided to refund the buyer.This is not fair also,However I didnot refund.So I "Report this buyer" as use Buyer protection.(you can find your feedback site,This is new option)You should be record also.If many same case happened, ebay can suspend him. and I met one more same kind buyer(more terriable,tricky)ID: genovese9797 I sold XBOX live 12 month Card,and sent code by e-mail.and He told "Used already" This was totally brand new.But ebay decided"Full refund" even I bought ebay store.and He left negative.I lost $49,and feedback.later I found out his trick.He bought another seller cheaper one same time.Depend on ebay resolution center.80% not fair for seller.So Please careful this buyer also.

- gaogaokytoh

Edited by btw1217, 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#43 sdoxas

sdoxas

CAG Elite General

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

His username is usmc_products

My favorite part is where he kindly asked me to send him the code through eBay messages, and then once the PayPal claim was filed, told PayPal that it was against eBay ToS since 2008 to send codes through messages.

I added him to my block list. I like selling DLC over eBay, and I would prefer to avoid your situation.
I wonder if there's a public 'blocked buyers list' out there...

#44 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Yeah hopefully that's a lesson learned. 100% of the time you will lose a INR (Item Not Received) or an unauthorized use chargeback if you mail the item to ANY address OTHER then what is on the PayPal invoice.

To have seller protection against a INR case you must be able to show delivery (by means of DC if the item is $249.99 or less or Signature Confirmation if it is $250 or more [including shipping]) to the address / zip code on the PayPal invoice.

For an unauthorized use chargeback you just need to show proof of shipment (proof of delivery is nice but not needed) and it has to be to the address on the invoice as well.

Yup. Sure was. Im not sure if I explained myself clearly enough or not (was half asleep) The guy changed his paypal address after he paid, and before I shipped. Then emailed me. After I had shipped, he changed his address back. Sorry for the confusion.

Either way, he lost more getting banned on xbox than he spent on halo 3, but still aggravating none the less. I refuse to do auctions on ebay now. Buy it now only with immediate payment. Biggest reason I stopped auctions was because of people not paying. People can bid on 10 of the same items, all ending near each other, and choose which one they get lowest. Nothing us as a buyer can do incept for send a second chance offer (which rarely works because usually 24 hrs goes by.) Ive had this happen to me my last 20 auctions. All of them I had to relist 2-3 times. All buyers were 50+ in positive reviews. Disgusting what Ebay has turned into.

#45 Nick45

Nick45

Waiting for Persona 5!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

I added him to my block list. I like selling DLC over eBay, and I would prefer to avoid your situation.
I wonder if there's a public 'blocked buyers list' out there...

There actually is a list here on CAG: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=148600

#46 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I wish you luck with your case. I did however, lose one case, but I'm glad we have a great forums such as CAG, which made my life so much easier than to deal with eBay.
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#47 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Another update. The other seller he bought from responded. Here was his response:

Dear ticketusmaximus,

I had the exact same problem
He even sent me this http://gyazo.com/97c...df6653b1c8ba2ca
And than filed for a refund because it "Didnt work"

- carter56711

He has filed disputes against all three sellers that he purchased from.

Edited by btw1217, 09 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#48 HyperG

HyperG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I have had problems with buying cards from Target.com , where the card simply was never activated to begin with. If you let those cards sit forever, and never verify that they are actively working, you probably are at fault for it. It's sad but true, I had to wait a few days for target.com to get my card to work which was a year card, but in the end glad it was resolved.

Typically you can type the code into Xbox Live before you sell a card, take a screenshot (with a capture device, or a camera, or a phone) and maybe even while taking the picture put the card in view with the code on the card to show as proof when you email the code, so no one can scam you out of money. But do verify your codes before you sell them to someone, because assuming is not the right thing to do. He very well may be scamming people but do as I suggested and scammers shouldn't use you as a target anymore.

www.GamersVlog.com - Enter for game giveaways.

#49 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

I have had problems with buying cards from Target.com , where the card simply was never activated to begin with. If you let those cards sit forever, and never verify that they are actively working, you probably are at fault for it. It's sad but true, I had to wait a few days for target.com to get my card to work which was a year card, but in the end glad it was resolved.

He's already contacted MS and verified the code was good & that it was also redeemed the same day he emailed the code to the buyer.

It's just a PoS buyer scamming people out of money so that he can get a free Xbox Live subscription. Makes me wonder if this is some kid that's screwing people over with his parent's PP account.

OP, I'd save those emails, that way there's proof other sellers are confirming he's pulled the same crap multiple times.

#50 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

He's already contacted MS and verified the code was good & that it was also redeemed the same day he emailed the code to the buyer.

It's just a PoS buyer scamming people out of money so that he can get a free Xbox Live subscription. Makes me wonder if this is some kid that screwing people over with his parent's PP account.

OP, I'd save those emails, that way there's proof other sellers are confirming he's pulled the same crap multiple times.

I made sure to contact them through eBay messages and saved copies as PDFs. I submitted both of the sellers' messages to PayPal. I hope they actually look at them.

#51 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

I made sure to contact them through eBay messages and saved copies as PDFs. I submitted both of the sellers' messages to PayPal. I hope they actually look at them.

You have plenty of evidence supporting your case. Time to see just how fair Ebay is when dealing with disputes. I really hope you win
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#52 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Is ebay ever fair to the sellers?

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#53 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

I'd mail it to him and then when you lose, contact the post office about postal fraud. The post office doesn't look kindly on this type of thing.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#54 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271123531180

this scammer that the OP is dealing with apparently sold an avatar item and sent as email. even put "e-mail delivery" in not only the description but also the actual title!

if this guy did this to me, I might get some people I know in jersey to scout his address. maybe even call up the USMC and see if this guy is enlisted! wonder if anyone was ever discharged for something stupider that ebay fraud.

#55 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Luckily I've never had any issues on eBay. Always stomach turning to see stories like these. Perhaps you can take solace in the fact that this guy is such a lowlife and so poor that he has to do this stuff. Most likely he will stay that way for the rest of his life. You may have to concede defeat in this battle, but you have won the metaphorical war that is succeeding in life.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#56 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Luckily I've never had any issues on eBay. Always stomach turning to see stories like these. Perhaps you can take solace in the fact that this guy is such a lowlife and so poor that he has to do this stuff. Most likely he will stay that way for the rest of his life. You may have to concede defeat in this battle, but you have won the metaphorical war that is succeeding in life.

I told my girlfriend something along the same lines when I was initially upset. Either that or he'll become a CEO at a major financial organization, it's a coin toss.

#57 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I doubt it, this is a microcosm of his entire existence. It takes a specific personality to go through this much effort for 30 freaking dollars. The guy can't even afford his Xbox Live.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#58 smartbombUK

smartbombUK

STFU Donny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I had no idea the way ebay has gone since I signed up here and read so many horror stories like this, last week I was reading about a guy who send some PS2 games and delayed sending them to buy sleeves for them and ended up getting done over. And a lad who had 2 items in his picture but the item was clearly stated as being sold separate yet still got shafted.

I worked in a bar years back and one of the patrons owner a garage. He sold 2 disc brakes with callipers and pads for £140 on ebay and got stitched up when the buyer returned worn ones to him in the box he sent them in ! Unfortunately, the seller 'Bish' as he was called, is a bit of a naughty lad and took the time to drive over to his house which was only a 1 hour drive away and take his brakes back and leave the scammer with a fractured eye socket and concussion.

#59 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Well, I've decided that if I lose this dispute, I'm walking away from eBay after 12 years of NEVER RECEIVING A SINGLE COMPLAINT. Sure, one bad apple in over 500 transactions is not bad odds, but if I can't count on eBay/PayPal to have my back against blatant abusers, then I don't want to sell there. Let them become a house of thieves if that's what they think is best. Most of what I sell is video game related. If only I knew somewhere else I could sell them. Oh wait, I do. Maybe it's where I should have stuck with in the first place.

#60 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

What is this guy's account? So I can add him to blocked buyer.