Installed games and storage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Well, my inventory has ballooned since the Steam summer sale until now and my 1TB data drive is starting to max out. Does anyone use a larger 1.5 or 2TB drive for their data drive to install their games without any probs? I use a separate SSD for my OS so that's not a problem but I like to install most games I have or else I'll never try them.

After doing some research on my predicament, I came across these interesting links;

http://www.craveonli...-gaming-backlog

http://howlongtobeat.com/index.php

#2 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I have a 2tb Seagate Barracuda that works great.

#3 Jalu

Jalu

jalu1-5 was already taken

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, you're not going to have any problems with a 2TB drive that you wouldn't have with a 1TB. I use a 120GB SSD for my C and 2TB for me D. Besides it needing to spin up sometimes when I start a few programs after not using it for a while, it works great.

#4 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Since it's my data drive, can I just image my current one and place that image over a new drive? Or will that mess up my installed programs on it?

#5 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I know that a sector by sector clone would work fine but I'm not sure about an image.

Personally, I'd recommend Ultimate Boot CD because it's free and very easy to use plus don't need to make an image because it directly clones the drive. The only drawback to a sector by sector is that it takes A LOOOOONNNNNG time.

#6 Jalu

Jalu

jalu1-5 was already taken

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

No, imaging the drive would be fine, as long as its the same Windows drive letter. Your C drive has pointers to your (D? E?) in the registry so as long as the path is the same, you'll be good.

Depends on the software, but be careful with a sector by sector image. If you make a sector by sector backup of a 1TB drive and apply it to a 2TB drive, its going to partition and only use that 1TB of space. Sector by sector is an exact copy, including partition info.

I use Acronis all the time at work, and if you don't use the sector by sector image on a larger drive, it leaves the extra space available on the same partition.

#7 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

No, imaging the drive would be fine, as long as its the same Windows drive letter. Your C drive has pointers to your (D? E?) in the registry so as long as the path is the same, you'll be good.

Depends on the software, but be careful with a sector by sector image. If you make a sector by sector backup of a 1TB drive and apply it to a 2TB drive, its going to partition and only use that 1TB of space. Sector by sector is an exact copy, including partition info.

I use Acronis all the time at work, and if you don't use the sector by sector image on a larger drive, it leaves the extra space available on the same partition.

I'm sure that Acronis would work, it's just that unless you have another 1tb drive lying around, you need to clone and the free verision of Acronis doesn't allow you to clone a drive.

I was just giving a simpler one step process that happens to be free. Plus can't you just extend the partition afterwards?

#8 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. Since it's my data drive, can I just image my current one and place that image over a new drive? Or will that mess up my installed programs on it?

You can and it'll be fine, just remember that it will take an extraordainary amount of time no matter which method you use.

#9 no_chocobo

no_chocobo

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

Arconis has done this exact same thing perfectly for me in the past.
Posted Image
Posted Image