2013 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#301 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

These stories of these jerks with resale shops and flea markets and ebay accounts eating up EVERYTHING of any interest in the area so they can charge double ebay prices just make me want to give up hunting for stuff entirely.

I already have a good sized retro collection that would last me a long time. The few things I really want I would be fine with paying a reasonable price for on ebay or amazon.

Can the market for this older stuff really stay this way? I guess so, but even I get sick of going to stores and seeing a stack of 6 copies of TMNT 4 rotting on the shelf for $50 apeice. Simliar to every other popular, but not really rare SNES game.

Most of these places just stock up on the marios and zeldas and things like that and have 50 or so of them in the back, and charge 30% more than the highest ebay values they can find. I guess, if people are paying, but it's just disgusting to me.

If there weren't these career ebay sellers and resellers the market for things probably wouldn't be so inflated in the first place. I think with Ebay going to basically BIN only and amazon marketplace it's really inflated values on a lot of this stuff because all the sellers basically up each other in prices.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#302 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

These stories of these jerks with resale shops and flea markets and ebay accounts eating up EVERYTHING of any interest in the area so they can charge double ebay prices just make me want to give up hunting for stuff entirely.

I already have a good sized retro collection that would last me a long time. The few things I really want I would be fine with paying a reasonable price for on ebay or amazon.

Can the market for this older stuff really stay this way? I guess so, but even I get sick of going to stores and seeing a stack of 6 copies of TMNT 4 rotting on the shelf for $50 apeice. Simliar to every other popular, but not really rare SNES game.

Most of these places just stock up on the marios and zeldas and things like that and have 50 or so of them in the back, and charge 30% more than the highest ebay values they can find. I guess, if people are paying, but it's just disgusting to me.

If there weren't these career ebay sellers and resellers the market for things probably wouldn't be so inflated in the first place. I think with Ebay going to basically BIN only and amazon marketplace it's really inflated values on a lot of this stuff because all the sellers basically up each other in prices.

What I don't understand is why you see super common stuff like TMNT 4 or Super Mario Kart commands a high price. These games sold several million copies, even if you assume say 50% of them are either A. Sitting in a landfill B. Locked in someones attic or C. Already in collectors hands, you have to assume there's at the very least a number in the high hundreds of thousands of copies still out there on the open market. Perhaps it's just poor distribution, but you'd think that there'd be a fair amount of market equilibrium with these prices.

#303 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

That is what I don't understand, you have players choice games like Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green and all these other games that were dirt common fetching high prices. Between the stores in my area at the time alone for $20 each there were probably 300-400 copies of Pokemon Fire Red and leaf green on the shelves at any time and that is just for one city in the whole USA. These games should be $5 a pop by now. I can't imagine demand for these games being that high or people wanting them that much so much so that the supply is not meeting demand. There are many other Pokemon's released since then and I have played them all and the experience is largely the same between games, so it would be beneficial to purchase just the latest ones for new players at least from the DS generation. Even if you wanted to transfer Pokemon from GBA games to the DS games you would have to go through quite a hassle and I don't see the point as there are various other ways to obtain the missing Pokemon in each game these days since the games are online. I haven't touched my older Pokemon games in years, but apparently they have matured in value quite some.

I can understand for a limited print run like Xenoblade (although it would benefit the maker of the game to print more at this point as copies are going for $100 each and more). My cousin had Xenoblade and told me it wasn't even that good, he sold his copy, but personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for any game, no matter how good it was.

Is TMNT 4 really that great of a game where someone can justify paying $50 for it, I don't think so, personally, there were an awful lot of really lame games from the SNES and NES era, moreso from the NES, there are actually very few games from that era that I am interested in sitting down and playing for more than 3 min each. There are good SNES games, but those can be had on the VC for much less than ebay copies, when the price on the VC is 1/3 or less of what the ebay price is I have no problem buying digital content.

I also don't understand why people buy at these high priced retro game stores when most of them have no return policy and the stuff isn't in that great of condition when you can buy a perfect condition game on ebay that at least comes with buyer protection in case it doesn't work for less money and with less hassle. Comes from personal experience, these stores are nothing great, and their merchandise is dirty and sometimes doesn't work and they won't take it back. Through ebay I can deliver a much cleaner guaranteed working game that I tested 2-3 days before the auction than a retro game store owner can simply because I take the time to do the work (its not hard either mind you). These store owners just have carts in the back and they don't bother to clean or test them the proper way, they just buy stuff and put it on the shelf at 30-40 percent markup as was discussed. No offense to someone who runs a store where they actually clean games properly. There can't be that many people that are not connected to the internet that want to play retro games where there only choice would be a local overpriced retro game store.

Edited by SaraAB, 12 May 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#304 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Went out to a community wide sale today and found some really nice items. It was a beautiful day so really nice for the large community sales where you do a lot of walking.

The first sale I went to was advertised as an Estate sale and said that it had Nintendo and other video game related items. I usually just skip these kinds of sales because it will either have nothing I really want or really overpriced.
Plus there is always a gaggle of people wanting to buy gaming items and I'm not going to push shove or fight over the stuff. However this sale started an hr before the community sale so I figured I'd take a peek since it wasn't going to cut into my time at any of the other sales.
They even opened up a little early so there was only 3 of us in the house. they had a couple original Nintendo with Track meet for $12 each. Not a bad price but I have several and certainly don't need another. There were a couple guys who came in about 15 min later and were really happy to find the NES so I'm glad they are going to a good home. They also had a couple PS1 (small version) with DDR game and mat
And Then I found this :bouncy:

Posted Image

Paid $30

All the cords etc were with it I just didn't take a photo of them. It also came with Urban Surfer/Snowboarder Set Up Instructions. I believe it was some kind of demo unit and the Seals are still intact on the unit.

Here's a close up of the Instructions

Posted Image

The rest of the day was pretty slow as far as even seeing games. I did find a few though

Posted Image

GTA & Ratchet & Clank I paid $1 each
Spyro $1
Wii Music New .50
Orginal DS no charger but works great $3.50
Gameboy Advance Game .25

Towards the end of the day I found another gem. I'm honestly not sure which I'm Happier about The Amiga CD or this

Posted Image

Brand new and sealed. Had it marked at $75 but I got it for $50 I have been wanting a psp but hadn't found one at the right price until now

I found a lot of great non gaming stuff while I was out including a
RCA Selectavision (with original box) and over 50 Movies. I was just looking at the movies when the lady running the sale came over and said they were trying to sell it all together for $25. I jokingly said for $20 and you got a deal. She quickly agreed saying they just wanted it gone. OH I could so hear my husband groan and roll his eyes as I was handing over a $20 for the lot.
I have a large movie collection including laserdiscs so I really don't have room for this. But I've never seen a player before so I'm curious as to the quality etc and it was only $20.

Didn't take a picture but here's what it looks like
http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

#305 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

I'd guess that many people played the super common games when they were younger, traded/sold/lost their copy. Then grew up and nostalgia kicked in and were willing to pay. I know there's alot of stuff I'd definitely buy from my childhood and if I wanted it bad enough I'd pay top dollar. Also some people may be fine with just buying the popular games and playing them every now and then. Not like collectors or hardcore gamers who want to play a ton of games and have to buy all those games.

#306 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

What I don't understand is why you see super common stuff like TMNT 4 or Super Mario Kart commands a high price. These games sold several million copies, even if you assume say 50% of them are either A. Sitting in a landfill B. Locked in someones attic or C. Already in collectors hands, you have to assume there's at the very least a number in the high hundreds of thousands of copies still out there on the open market. Perhaps it's just poor distribution, but you'd think that there'd be a fair amount of market equilibrium with these prices.

I think it just comes out to supply and demand. Like you said most copies are stashed away somewhere. People keep them for nostalgia and others are collectors. Others just tucked away somewhere in Jimmy's closet that he hasn't looked into for years and he has no idea where it is.

I think sometimes people underestimate how many people collect games or enjoy playing the older games. When I was in college a few years ago I knew of multiple kids who had dorm room Mario Party or Mario Kart nights on the N64 (instead of playing whatever is hot on the PS3/360). Also as time goes on, more and more of these games are falling into the hands of collectors who plan on never letting them go, so the number of copies that are owned by people who would gladly sell them are dropping.

People love stuff from their childhood. Same reason Transformers and He-Man fetches big bucks. I'm generally pretty good at avoiding stuff that is over priced, but like 8 months ago I was cruising around eBay and saw a brand new "I Saved the Princess" Mario Bros poster. I got the same poster when I was in 6 years old in kindergarten and had it hung up behind my bed until I was like 12 or 13. I definitely paid way too much for a poster that was originally bought for 5 bucks at a school book sale, but I just had to have it. Lots of people seem to feel the same way with Mario Kart or Ocarina of Time.

#307 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

I would be a bit more vested in collectibles but I have a long life ahead of me, I am unemployed with absolutely no chance of a regular job where I live and I am probably going to have to pack up and move someday. If I had a job that I could work until retirement and had a house that I owned and planed to live in till I die I might be a bit more dedicated to collecting things I really want but right now I know I am probably going to have to move out of here and the less stuff I have to take the better. Even given the essentials I have enough stuff to pack up already believe me, way more than one person can handle on their own. I don't want to be one of those suckers who has to sell everything off at their moving sale or pawn all their games because they have to leave the area and can't take it with them. I am 100% sure I am going to have to move roughly within the next 5-10 years simply due to my situation I am going to get thrown out of the house I live in. There are a lot of things I would like to own but I just can't do it right now in my life or I am going to have to deal with taking it with me and like I said I already have enough to take with me.

#308 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

Its simple really, supply and demand. Thats it. Doesnt matter if it is a common game, a lot of people want it, so whenever someone does put up a low priced game compared to the rest of ebay / amazon it gets bought up immediately.

And you have it backwards, sellers do not up each other in prices they actually undercut each other by a couple cents, if 10 people undercut each other something might drop a dollar in price.

#309 ex_eBay_buyer

ex_eBay_buyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I slept in until 10 and had to be at work by 11, but there was a flea market at the church across from my job and I was a few minutes early to work anyway so...

Ti-83 Graphing Calculator (x2)
DS Lite Onyx

Originally the graphing calculators were marked $5 each and the DS Lite was marked $15, but I was able to get the bundle for $15 total after showing her none of it turned on so I didn't know if it worked. As soon as I got home I changed the batteries in the graphing calcs and charged the DS, and voila! It all works! I think I'll wait until late summer to sell the calcs to get the most profit, but will probably go ahead and flip the DS now.
Yard-Saleing is a SPORT.

#310 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

ds lite rock band 5 bucks flipped to gamestop the same day

mario kart ds 1.00
cars ds 1.00
club pengin. 50 cents
tornado 50 cents

last weekend...

went on a saturday.. mother goes you should of came yesterday they had over 30 DS games for 1.00 each dragon quest 4-6 had a ps2 go for 5 and a dsi for 10

said their kids are into the ps3 stuff now and sold everything dirt cheap
WOOOO I STINK

#311 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

ugh, door knocking game resellers. How shitty of an upbringing do you need to have to be that manner-less and shameless? Maybe they are getting desperate and need to sell some games quick to make rent on their efficiency studio in the bad part of town.

it is a rough supply/demand scenario. People are buying at these prices because, in the grand scheme of things, $40 for a popular SNES game is not gonna break the bank. That's not even the price of a full priced retail game. So if it's Mario RPG or TMNT or Contra, big nostalgia games, it's gonna stabilize at a higher price. Same for all the gamecube games.
But for some reason rare games get a huge boost-- Hagane, Final Fight Guy, Cubivore-- when they were just slightly higher priced only like two years ago. I don't know if that's because some of these new SNES buyers are converting to collectors and got their hands on hidden gems articles or what. Similarly on Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness are getting up there.

Pretty much only us normal game collectors who are going to legitimately buy stuff for our collection get screwed, not that anyone should care, but it's damn annoying. I've given up and live vicariously through people in this thread.

On the plus side, people buying for nostalgia purposes and not to collect are more likely to get rid of their stuff once they're done. That's when there'll be an opportunity for the price to drop on these games. I've also seen theories on digitpress about collectible game prices going down as the economy gets better.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of trashy door knockers, I think they're just a fact of life now.

Edited by Seraphinianus, 12 May 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#312 3GSid

3GSid

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Nothing in the form of Video Games today, but did find these.

Posted Image

Don't think they are worth much, but still didn't pay alot for them either haha.

My Completed Anime List

http://myanimelist.n...tatus=2&order=4                      

My Ebay Page (I will generally offer lower prices to CAGS if interested in any items)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/balderhash/m.html?item=271217054077&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

#313 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

ugh, door knocking game resellers. How shitty of an upbringing do you need to have to be that manner-less and shameless? Maybe they are getting desperate and need to sell some games quick to make rent on their efficiency studio in the bad part of town.

it is a rough supply/demand scenario. People are buying at these prices because, in the grand scheme of things, $40 for a popular SNES game is not gonna break the bank. That's not even the price of a full priced retail game. So if it's Mario RPG or TMNT or Contra, big nostalgia games, it's gonna stabilize at a higher price. Same for all the gamecube games.
But for some reason rare games get a huge boost-- Hagane, Final Fight Guy, Cubivore-- when they were just slightly higher priced only like two years ago. I don't know if that's because some of these new SNES buyers are converting to collectors and got their hands on hidden gems articles or what. Similarly on Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness are getting up there.

Pretty much only us normal game collectors who are going to legitimately buy stuff for our collection get screwed, not that anyone should care, but it's damn annoying. I've given up and live vicariously through people in this thread.

On the plus side, people buying for nostalgia purposes and not to collect are more likely to get rid of their stuff once they're done. That's when there'll be an opportunity for the price to drop on these games. I've also seen theories on digitpress about collectible game prices going down as the economy gets better.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of trashy door knockers, I think they're just a fact of life now.

There should be a point in time where everyone tries to get rid of their stuff at the same time, its like with Hummel figurines, from what I hear everyone's grandmother collected them, now since they are dead and their kids have grown up and no longer want the figurines the market is now flooded with them and they worth almost nothing. But right now there is a boom for some reason, however games are very volitile and they could start losing value at the drop of a hat.

Its a bit different with electronics because things can stop working, but SNES stuff is really solid and so is NES stuff, and if its not solid it can be fixed really easily.

If you are talking 50 years from now I don't know how much of this stuff will be left and working, but if you are going for long term you need to think of that.

People who buy for nostalgia in their 20's will lose it by the time they get into their early 30's, get married and have kids, they will want to sell off their collections so they can have money for the baby and marriage. They may save stuff for their kids to have it but I have news for them... your kids won't care about old toys.

I am not a door knocker, I rarely ask for games unless it seems appropriate for the situation, I don't run up to sales and ask for video games right away. I only buy the games if they are already put out, if someone wants to bring games out for me to buy that is their choice. I probably work way too hard on this since I have the intrinsic motivation to want to deliver a quality product to the people that buy from me. Not every door knocker has this type of motivation.

#314 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Got a Wii system with Mario Kart and Wii Sports (not pictured) for $35
Also got a fat PS2 in the original box for $10 (not pictured)
Got the following games for a $1 each:

Posted Image
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#315 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Nice! Is mario golf on n64 any good? I loved the GameCube one.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#316 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yard sale video game finds have been few and far between for me. Seems like most yard sales there is at least one person asking the seller if they have game stuff or records! I did find a really nice lot of N64 games this weekend; Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, Smash Bros., Spider-Man, and Extreme G2 for $30!

Aside from that, my best game find of late was an ex-rental copy of Earthbound in a storage unit! I. Was. Thrilled.

Happy hunting!

#317 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yard sale video game finds have been few and far between for me. Seems like most yard sales there is at least one person asking the seller if they have game stuff or records! I did find a really nice lot of N64 games this weekend; Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, Smash Bros., Spider-Man, and Extreme G2 for $30!

Aside from that, my best game find of late was an ex-rental copy of Earthbound in a storage unit! I. Was. Thrilled.

Happy hunting!

See that N64 haul would make my season!

$30 for $100+ of games.

#318 evuong

evuong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Nice! Is mario golf on n64 any good? I loved the GameCube one.

Yup, I'm a fan of both. Mario Tennis on the N64 was a good one as well.

#319 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

Paid $30

All the cords etc were with it I just didn't take a photo of them. It also came with Urban Surfer/Snowboarder Set Up Instructions. I believe it was some kind of demo unit and the Seals are still intact on the unit.

:hot: I'd be checking to see if I could play Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus if I had that there device.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#320 Tuxmanv2

Tuxmanv2

CAG in Training

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Yea dude it pisses me off. The only way to beat these guys is to wake up at literally 5:00 a.m. every Saturday and speed run through the sales.

#321 Tuxmanv2

Tuxmanv2

CAG in Training

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

$30 for $100+ of games.

Believe it or not me and my friend went to one about two weeks ago and found a huge haul. The lady had some dirty systems and some boxed 64 games that weren't that great. Well...that is, until we found boxed Banjo, Smash, and Stunt Racer. Fucking Stunt Racer.

#322 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

$30 for $100+ of games.

Keep looking, and don't be afraid to ask (although in all honestly, I don't ask nearly as much as I used to) if someone has game stuff. My best find ever came a couple years ago when I asked a guy if he had game stuff. He brought out a box of boxed SNES Rpgs & a couple sealed NES games and other things. I didn't pay much more for that than the N64 games.

#323 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

Yea dude it pisses me off. The only way to beat these guys is to wake up at literally 5:00 a.m. every Saturday and speed run through the sales.

And speeding through sales is never fun. Half of the enjoyment from Yard Sales come from searching at your own pace. :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#324 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Honestly, that won't even cut it around here. Everyone around me has their sales on Thursday and Friday, when I work. Even if they still have them on Saturdays, they're picked clean of any game stuff by then by people who flip and resell for a living. THAT'S what making me lose my taste for yard sales.

#325 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

I can't go on Saturdays anyway so I love Thursday and Friday sales. I work all of those days but not until 1230 on Thursday and Friday.
www.vg-force.com

#326 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Honestly, that won't even cut it around here. Everyone around me has their sales on Thursday and Friday, when I work. Even if they still have them on Saturdays, they're picked clean of any game stuff by then by people who flip and resell for a living. THAT'S what making me lose my taste for yard sales.

same here....I really don't get it, am I the only person that has a job that I have to be at M-F? How do all these people have time to have yard sales on thursday and friday?! and the thurs/fri sales are ALWAYS the ones that have games.

I have to drive about an hour away to some little hick towns in the middle of nowhere for sales now, it costs a little more in gas but its worth it because most of those people don't know shit about "ebay prices" and there are no resellers out there

#327 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

same here....I really don't get it, am I the only person that has a job that I have to be at M-F? How do all these people have time to have yard sales on thursday and friday?! and the thurs/fri sales are ALWAYS the ones that have games.

Same thing here, motherfuckers are out when I am doing my rounds for work between 4 and 7 in the morning. They park in the middle of the roads and go door knocking. Pisses me off. Luckily my work involves inspecting ditches, roadways, and culverts so I block the fuckers in if I can.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

#328 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

When my dad used to do a lot of yard sales he would go out immediately after his third shift job. A lot of people either make a living at reselling or work alternate schedules (4 tens, etc) to make time for yard sales.

I'm just glad there are only Saturday sales here.

#329 FadeToDark

FadeToDark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

Maybe this is the right place to ask this question. I am going to be selling a PS2 and a launch 360 (fully functional, been repaired by a guy I know from disc read error). How much should I price them at? The PS2 is the fat system with a controller and all the cables. The 360 has no controller (unless I can find one I don't need anymore) but all the cables. What would you guys think would be a fair asking price?

#330 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

At a yard sale, or in general?