2013 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#841 Mike_TV

Mike_TV

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Finally had a chance to hit some sales this weekend, even if it was only three. First, I hit up a semi-annual community flea market down the street from me and scored a fat PS2 with extra cords and Rock Band mic for $10 and a Gamecube with two OEM controllers and Sonic Heroes for $10. Not the best deals, but they're cheap enough that I can fit them into the MAGFest Game Room budget. No pics, unfortunately, as I've already dropped them off at our warehouse.

Next stop was a sale that advertised NES and Sega games that I figured would already be picked over, but I must have been the first gamer there. The guy had an NES, 2 Genesis' and a few boxes full of games that we wanted $200. He said he'd be willing to go down to $125, but I didn't have that much on me nor did I really want to spend that much on what amounted to mostly sports games. I cherry picked a few, though, and managed to get SMB3 CiB, TMNT Tournament Fighters CiB, Cutthroat Island CiB, and a NES Game Genie with manual for $11.

The last sale I stopped at I wish I had gotten to earlier, as I think it was a little picked over. I still managed to get Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, Trauma Team, Castlevania:  Lords of Shadow, Mario Strikers Charged!, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for $20, which was pretty great.

IMG 20130826 082443 191

#842 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Goddammit, Slowdive, I need to know!

OK, I'll make a special post, even-though I am about a year behind on my finds posts. ;)

So I was at a sale and I picked up this stuff:

Saturnlot40bucks6_zps97fb8992.jpg

I asked if they (family of 4) have any video games for sale and I got the usual "No, but we have a lot of them." I stayed and talked for a while and they told me about how they've owned 'every system' and I told them I am into any games even older systems and I gave her my name and number in case they decide to sell some of them. We talked a little longer and they mentioned that they had a SEGA Saturn, but it was missing the power cord and that they had thought about selling it on ebay. I told them I would be interested in it anyway and after a few seconds of talking to each other they decided to dig it out for me to let me take a look. I smiled when they brought out the boxes, but I managed to hold back my excitement. I calmly looked through the games, even-though I knew I was going to buy the lot if the price was right. I asked "How much do you want for all of it?" The Dad said "How about $50?" I replied "Hmmm, I was thinking more like $40." He said "Yeah, we can do $40."

$40 for everything SEGA Saturn 'MEGA' lot

System complete with power cord (yup it was there),  AV cable, manual.

Saturnlot40bucks10_zps8024e9ec.jpg

Controllers, Fight Stick, Official Multi tap, extension cords

Saturnlot40bucks7_zps2e25d25a.jpg

Games

Saturnlot40bucks2_zpsddf95581.jpg

Better Games

Saturnlot40bucks3_zpsf78687f1.jpg

Best Games

Saturnlot40bucks_zps7f77c76e.jpg

The Sonic Jam has the foam, SEGA catalog and Trading Card.

Saturnlot40bucks8_zpsf9bba33b.jpg

Oh and they mentioned that they loved playing BomberMan, but the case was no where to be found. When we booted up the system, we got a pleasant surprise.

Saturnlot40bucks9_zpsd02589d0.jpg

The people were really nice...Hopefully they will call me if they decide to sell some more stuff!!

:bouncy:

#843 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

:bow: Holy shit, great haul!

#844 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

Here is the lot I snagged from the reseller I mentioned earlier....I finally got a copy of Superman 64!

vJnM8kz.jpg

#845 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Here is the lot I snagged from the reseller I mentioned earlier....I finally got a copy of Superman 64!

vJnM8kz.jpg

Superman 64, a game everyone should play at least once. Nice pickup though

#846 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

Very nice. I still need the Banjo games.

www.vg-force.com

#847 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

Superman 64, a game everyone should play at least once. Nice pickup though

Lol I remember playing it as a kid and it was so hard, I just thought I was bad at that game

#848 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

[spoiler] 

OK, I'll make a special post, even-though I am about a year behind on my finds posts. ;)

So I was at a sale and I picked up this stuff:

Saturnlot40bucks6_zps97fb8992.jpg

I asked if they (family of 4) have any video games for sale and I got the usual "No, but we have a lot of them." I stayed and talked for a while and they told me about how they've owned 'every system' and I told them I am into any games even older systems and I gave her my name and number in case they decide to sell some of them. We talked a little longer and they mentioned that they had a SEGA Saturn, but it was missing the power cord and that they had thought about selling it on ebay. I told them I would be interested in it anyway and after a few seconds of talking to each other they decided to dig it out for me to let me take a look. I smiled when they brought out the boxes, but I managed to hold back my excitement. I calmly looked through the games, even-though I knew I was going to buy the lot if the price was right. I asked "How much do you want for all of it?" The Dad said "How about $50?" I replied "Hmmm, I was thinking more like $40." He said "Yeah, we can do $40."

$40 for everything SEGA Saturn 'MEGA' lot

System complete with power cord (yup it was there),  AV cable, manual.

Saturnlot40bucks10_zps8024e9ec.jpg

Controllers, Fight Stick, Official Multi tap, extension cords

Saturnlot40bucks7_zps2e25d25a.jpg

Games

Saturnlot40bucks2_zpsddf95581.jpg

Better Games

Saturnlot40bucks3_zpsf78687f1.jpg

Best Games

Saturnlot40bucks_zps7f77c76e.jpg

The Sonic Jam has the foam, SEGA catalog and Trading Card.

Saturnlot40bucks8_zpsf9bba33b.jpg

Oh and they mentioned that they loved playing BomberMan, but the case was no where to be found. When we booted up the system, we got a pleasant surprise.

Saturnlot40bucks9_zpsd02589d0.jpg

The people were really nice...Hopefully they will call me if they decide to sell some more stuff!!

:bouncy:

[/spoiler]

Silly me. I KNEW there was a reason I called it a 'MEGA' lot:

Got this one too!

Saturnlot40bucks4_zps3b301aee.jpg

Saturnlot40bucks5_zps9bdd3abb.jpg

#849 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

[spoiler] 
[/spoiler]

Silly me. I KNEW there was a reason I called it a 'MEGA' lot:

Got this one too!

Saturnlot40bucks4_zps3b301aee.jpg

Saturnlot40bucks5_zps9bdd3abb.jpg

FIrst Magic Knight Rayearth and now Megaman 8. You guys are just rubbing it in my face :O

congratulations though :p

#850 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Geekquisitions - if you haven't priced the Skylanders out yet you did very well at $55. You should get almost $40 for Boomer alone. But cash in now because the demand for them is going down rapidly now that Disney Infinity is out.

#851 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Oh and sorry for the double post just realized I did not post my yard sale finds as I had a wedding to go to Saturday so I only had 3 hours to yard sale then change and head to the wedding.

My first three sales on Saturday were pointless, either good prices for crap (I got 22 kids learning PC Games for $2 figuring if none of them are worth it at least I can use the minty cases for PS1 games), or a Wii with 3 shovelware games for $250 because that's what she paid for the system. She asked me to make her a counter offer when I said I couldn't pay that and I just refused because I told her she wouldn't like it as the system is $80 at Gamestop.

After that I hit a peculiar one because it was an older woman selling mostly teacups and saucers, souvenir spoons and Hummels and interestingly enough ended up finding a zip lock bag with Pokemon Red, Crystal and Gold marked $2 each mixed in with it all.

Ended up paying $5 for all three and then she goes "Oh I have more of that stuff inside, watch the yard sale for me for a minute and I will go grab it." About 5 minutes later she goes out with a kitchen trash bag that she hand to me an inside is:
PS2 Slim, Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-101), Berry Game Boy Color, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon FireRed, Legend of Zelda Classic Collection, Zelda II: Adventure of Link Classic Collection, Zelda Oracle of Seasons & Ages, Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town, Super Mario World and a few other misc. games I can't remember.

While I was digging through the bag I asked if they were her sons or grandsons games and she told me after her husband passed away she was lonely and somehow ended up getting in to the Pokemon games, and eventually other Game Boy games for a few years which I thought was really nice that she found video games helped her grieve.

After talking awhile I asked what she wanted for it all and she told me $20, I told her that was way too low and I would give her $50 for all of it which she was amazed that I would offer more than her asking price but there was 3 systems and probably 20-25 games total plus I was touched by her story.

After that I didn't have much time left so I hit 2 more yard sales on the way to a crummy flea market but it is the only Saturday on in the area.

At one of the yard sales I found a Gamecube with a Wavebird and some Intec portable system attachment that is a folding screen, two speakers that go into some kind of media selector and a chargeable battery pack, along with 7 games the only one really noteworthy was Simpsons Hit & Run. They wanted $30, I offered $20 and we ended up settling on $25.

Then at the yard sale there was one of the local storage locker guys who had a huge box of DS and GBA games. He said he bought 1 out of 3 lockers that were supposedly part of a video game store that went out of business and he had tons more games so I gave him my business card and told him to call me.

In the box was 54 CIB DS games, a metallic Rose DS Lite, a Silver GBA SP, a Cobalt GBA SP, probably 10-15 GBA or DS carrying cases. Rather then list all the games the notable ones are:
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Professor Layton 1-4
Dark Spire
Black Sigil
Rune Factory 1-3
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Assassin's Creed 1 & 2
Inuyasha
Both Mario & Luigis
Radiant Historia
Infinite Space
Digimon World Dusk
Pokemon Platinum, Pearl, Diamond

A few of them like Zelda, Mario and Luigi had multiples. Ended up costing $300 for all of it, and hopefully he will call me to go look at the rest of it.

#852 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

Lol I remember playing it as a kid and it was so hard, I just thought I was bad at that game

I remember the same thing, although I did assume it was pretty bad since all I did was fly around through rings

#853 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

On the topic of Saturn games after slowdives awesome score has anyone here played Astal? I picked it up on a whim and was blown away.

If they released an HD version of that today as a PSN or Xbox Live title I think it would get some serious attention especcially now that Rayman Origins has renewed a lot of interest in non-Nintendo 2D platformers.

#854 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well. I am done for the day. I left some $1 wii games for the next guy at a sale this morning. I probably should have bought all of the wii games, even the shovel ware to 'flip', but I am not really a true flipper. I bought a few though and I got back at 2 of the people who wronged me in the past, so I will say today was a success. I also got back before it got too hot. It's only 73 right now. :)

#855 Tuxmanv2

Tuxmanv2

CAG in Training

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

This is exactley what I've been saying for the past 2 years now too. People that advertise games usually want ebay prices anyway. However theres always exceptions. I beat a reseller who waited TWO HOURS outside a house this past weekend by about 5 seconds, it was awesome.

So I see an ad posted for a SNES with "tons of nes and snes games" on a Sunday at 12pm. I figure I'd check it out since there's nothing else going on anyway. The ad didn't list a house number, just a street, I decided I'll drive by the house at 10am just to scope it out and maybe they would be out early (people that start sales THAT late usually end up starting them way earlier than advertised). Now I've told a story before about this reseller who waited on the porch of a house a 6AM for a sale that started at 8AM just to get 3 NES sports games....well guess who is slowly driving up and down the street at 10am? You guessed it! So I said to myself, screw this, I'll just drive around and look for some other sales and come back around 11:45 and maybe I'll get lucky. So about 11;40 I come back, he is sitting in his car at one end of the street....I'm sitting at the other end. Suddenly a woman comes out and puts a sign in the yard (the house is like right in the middle of our two cars) ....I thought now "oh Fuck it, this a-hole is going to get it again anyway, its not worth the hassle" thenI suddenly had a change of heart and thought "no! screw this guy, I am getting these damn games!" so I jump out of my car and ran as fast as I could to the yard. Lucky for me the reseller is in his 50s at least and looks like he weighs in at about 350lbs so he wasn't really going to beat me. Then he starts yelling at her from across the street "hey! hey! do you have any..." and before he can get a sentence out, I am already in the yard and I said "hey I'm buying all the video games you have!"

The lady says to me "oh yeah you are the guy that emailed me right?" So apparently some other reseller already emailed her the day before and told her some story about how his 5 year old "collects old nintendo games" .....uhhh sure she does. She even said "yeah I kinda laughed at your email, I'm surprised someone so young would be interested in old games " So basically she thinks I am the one who emailed her and I end up buying the most mint SNES system I've ever seen and a bag of about 20 N64 games for $30. The best part, the reseller finally waddled his way up the drive way and watched me buy all the stuff that he waited 2 HOURS for right from under him. He just pretended to look around the sale and then walked off like nothing happened. I was glad to finally stick it to the guy who is responsible for all the "oh yeah we just sold our games to some guy as soon as we started the sale" that I have to hear every weekend

#856 Tuxmanv2

Tuxmanv2

CAG in Training

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

I confuckinggradulate you my friend. Excellent find! Fuck the resellers!!

#857 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

I went to a garage sale that was supposed to start at 10:00(according to their craigslist post) this morning in my area that I had replied to, and had said they had wii and computer games. On the way there I see that the signs say that the sale starts at 8:00. When I got there, there was only 1 wii game left for $4, but I was able to get Bejeweled Blitz($0.75) and Bejeweled Twist($0.50).

#858 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with assholes at yard sales. Of course me being in a smaller town makes it less likely I'll get a huge score

#859 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

I also got back before it got too hot. It's only 73 right now. :)

73?! Damn, I envy you. The only way to get even close to 73 over is to leave the A/C on all day and night. I'm amazed that we've actually managed to stay under 100 lately. Then, of course, in another month it will be freezing cold (but at least I like the snow!). Yay for having only two seasons...

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with assholes at yard sales. Of course me being in a smaller town makes it less likely I'll get a huge score

I'd gladly deal with assholes to get a few scores. I can just be an asshole right back at them. But sadly, I live in the middle of the Californian bible belt so the only things people sell are western/romance/mystery novels, dirty old clothes, candles, and broken farming equipment. I would probably shit myself if I ever saw games at a yard sale.

#860 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

I would probably shit myself if I ever saw games at a yard sale.

At least you would blend in.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#861 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Big 61 mile yard sale is this weekend in southeast MO. I again have no money to work with so I will be staying indoors out of the heat.

#862 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well today was pretty decent. Here's what I got

-Raven RG20 20W guitar amp: $25

-Logitech Driving Force GT for PS2/PS3: $2. No power cord but I got one for $13 on eBay.

-PS2 phat with 2 controllers and memory cards: $2. It has the DRE so I'll sell it on eBay for a profit

-A couple GPS systems for $20 total

-Brother MFC-J615W all in one printer for free. Might have an issue.

-A Spongebob Pinball machine for $1... LOL

-A nerf gun for 50 cents

-Old school Sony camera that take floppy disks( I did not know they did this at one point o_0 )- $2

-The Staples Easy button for $1

XlCRRi5.jpg

31WXasO.jpg

#863 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Well today was pretty decent. Here's what I got

-Old school Sony that take floppy disks( I did not know they did this at one point o_0 )- $2

I'm assuming you forgot to put "camera" in that sentence.

Here's a (in)famous ad for it.

#864 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

I bought one of the 'night vision' cameras at savers last year. I havent started posting my thrift finds yet, but yeah it is the one that sees through clothes.

#865 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

4u4pHDR.jpg

A later find. Person told me this morning they had these but forgot to bring them out but would hold them for me. Came back later and picked these 8 games up, all complete, for $20 total.

#866 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Got rained out after sale #4 today. Had a few good pickups though - but nothing amazing. I will have to post some photos of this week and last week.

Last week I got some much stuff between craigslist and yardsales that I'm still trying to sort through it all. I never had so much that my trunk and backseat of my car was full.

Also - do you guys have tons of people who have sails every single week (or every other)

In my town there were a total of 7 sales posted on craigslist and 4 were from people who had sales every week. It's a pain.

If it is nice out - maybe I will get up tomorrow for a redo.

#867 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Went to 3 yard sales and 3 thrift stores. Only thing of note I found was some old gameboy manuals and a gameboy magnifying glass light. So in other words I didn't find crap. Oh well back to ebay I guess.

#868 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Ah yeah, those floppy disc cameras. I only remember them because my school had one circa 2000/2001. I made my teacher flip her wig by my friend taking a photo of me posing by a door like Superman (complete with Superman shirt I happened to wear that day), then editing it with the generic clouds background from Windows so it looked like I was flying.

Speaking of Superman, picked up a three comics today for 25 cents a pop. (The Adventures of Superman 500/#11 Back from the Dead?! and two Spiderman Unlimiteds... Maximum Carnage Begins Here, and Maxim Carnage Part 9 of 14.)

Posted Image

#869 Kaipper

Kaipper

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Only had one score today - there weren't too many sales out. These people had an original and a Gamepad 8 PS1 controller, I got those free and asked about other game stuff. They sold me the console (missing an AC cable, but has video cable and memory card) and 22 disk-only games for $5 including Twisted Metal 1, Air Combat, Cyber Sled, Return Fire, Soul Blade, Armored Core, and Crash Bandicoot. It's my first console pickup, so I'm not complaining.

#870 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Very nice work, everyone!  And way to go for sticking it to that guy before he could waddle up and snatch it.

I had an interesting day today, and managed to get quite a big, completely unexpected score at like 3:00.  Pics and narrative coming, I gotta take a nap.

Posted ImagePosted Image