2013 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#181 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I agree, even at $30 this would have very acceptable.

I went back to the retro game seller from last month, and had a fine haul for $25. I could've gotten more but didn't feel like it. I got:
A genuine SNES ac adapter for $10, for my other SNES I got from Craigslist
The Japanese version of Aero Fighters (Sonic Wings) SNES for cart only.
Edo no Kiva (Fang of Edo)- a side scroller with a guy in a samurai suit, complete in box. Has graphics problems, as a giant flamethrowing robot will cause the screen to glitch, as if the system couldn't handle it...
Mobile Armor Dion- another shooting game, with auto rapidfire.
Sega GT (complete)

Not much to get really excited about, though Sonic Wings is hella fun, Neo Geo or SNES.

Batsugunner.png

#182 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Stoppage Time GOOOOAAALL!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive and it came out in 1994....

However the first flintstones game (the rescue of dino and hoppy) can be had for $10 or less

I stand corrected good sir.

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#183 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Not a ton of sales today due to rain, but I got a couple things

Posted Image

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Pearl
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda Four Swords
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Total Paid: $30

Sadly, I cannot get Yellow or Leaf Green to work at all. I get the gameboy logo, then just a blank screen and I've tried cleaning them both several times.

Also I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Greatest Hits for $3, but forgot to take a picture. I've been wanting to play this series for a while now.

#184 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I stand corrected good sir.

:D

Small differences can make a huge difference see:

Stadium Events and World Class Track meet

$2,000 + shipping from sweden (2 days to go at time of posting) versus. $6.30 BIN w/ Free shipping

Same game, different license and title

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#185 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I would have payed $20 for that Dreamcast without hesitating. At a certain point, I feel dirty offering less on what is already an insanely good deal.

seriously, talk about pushing your luck (and being scummy, imho)

#186 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

:D

Small differences can make a huge difference see:

Stadium Events and World Class Track meet

$2,000 + shipping from sweden (2 days to go at time of posting) versus. $6.30 BIN w/ Free shipping

Same game, different license and title

This right here is why I freaked out when I first found out about Stadium Events's value. My aunt had WCTM when I was a kid and I was like "HOLY CRAP, MY AUNT HAD THAT GAME" but then I found out about the different names and was like "Oh, nevermind."

#187 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

This right here is why I freaked out when I first found out about Stadium Events's value. My aunt had WCTM when I was a kid and I was like "HOLY CRAP, MY AUNT HAD THAT GAME" but then I found out about the different names and was like "Oh, nevermind."

There was a Funcoland I was at, (approx. 1997/8 when they sold the game for $1.99, and they had MULTIPLE COPIES and I was like who wants some terrible track game? (granted I was 7/8, which is why I missed out on earthbound, If only I had a time machine to strangle my younger self :D)

Edit: the only reason I remember was becuase they had both stadium events and World class tack meet, and I asked what the difference was.

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

Designed by Lilchiji

#188 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Not a ton of sales today due to rain, but I got a couple things

Posted Image

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Pearl
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda Four Swords
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Total Paid: $30

Sadly, I cannot get Yellow or Leaf Green to work at all. I get the gameboy logo, then just a blank screen and I've tried cleaning them both several times.

Also I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Greatest Hits for $3, but forgot to take a picture. I've been wanting to play this series for a while now.

I learned this trick from another CAG a while back - you can probably fix the Pokemon Yellow by opening the cart and putting a few index cards behind the circuit board for the game. When Gamestop refurbed their games, they used to sand down the contacts which means the contacts won't touch the GB's contacts as easily as they should. Propping the cart with index cards pushes the contacts out enough to hit the GB.

#189 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Found a Vectrex in the box for $5, but I decided to inform the seller of its actual value and I paid him double the full retail value instead...I then proceeded to paint the seller's house and mow his yard.

#190 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

I learned this trick from another CAG a while back - you can probably fix the Pokemon Yellow by opening the cart and putting a few index cards behind the circuit board for the game. When Gamestop refurbed their games, they used to sand down the contacts which means the contacts won't touch the GB's contacts as easily as they should. Propping the cart with index cards pushes the contacts out enough to hit the GB.

That totally worked!! That's awesome! Many thanks to you! One more trick to add to my arsenal.

#191 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hit a couple of sales today:

Notable DVD buys:
How I Met Your Mother S1 $3
Married with Children Complete Series $10

One thing I passed on due to circumstance was a boxed N64 with the atomic purple controller: it was a sale with all proceeds going to Relay for Life. No prices on anything, just donations.

Since I had no need for it, I figured I'd let someone else have a nice find.

#192 daver16

daver16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

My bad wrong thread haha long day

#193 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

^ Why is this in the yard sale thread?

#194 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I give up, can't compete. Stopped by a bunch of sales, asked for games, and A) they looked at me like I'm homeless+begging and I had to explain that I don't ebay for a living and B) the guys who ebay for a living get there first thing in the morning.

#195 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I give up, can't compete. Stopped by a bunch of sales, asked for games, and A) they looked at me like I'm homeless+begging and I had to explain that I don't ebay for a living and B) the guys who ebay for a living get there first thing in the morning.

I feel the same way a lot; in two years I've only had two great findings; there are so many flippers in my area. But don't give up! It will happen! Try getting to every sale at least 15minutes early
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#196 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I feel the same way a lot; in two years I've only had two great findings; there are so many flippers in my area. But don't give up! It will happen! Try getting to every sale at least 15minutes early

that'd require getting up at like 5AM on a weekend! At that point, i'll pay the dang collector prices :lol:

But I'll still hit them randomly if I see one and have the time.

But yeah, the hunt was way more fun in the early to mid 00s. :( Nowadays I have better luck F5ing newly listed item searches on ebay.

#197 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

You do need to get there early but 5 am? Most sales start at 8 or 9. Get up at 7. If that is too early garage saling probably isnt for you. It isnt for everyone.
www.vg-force.com

#198 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

You do need to get there early but 5 am? Most sales start at 8 or 9. Get up at 7. If that is too early garage saling probably isnt for you. It isnt for everyone.

Many sales here start at 7. I used to get up at 6:30 for them.

#199 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Got two good bundles this morning.

Went to a random sale and asked for games, they said they had a big box of games.. I couldn't believe it. I NEVER am the one to get the "big box of games"

Came out with a box with about 15 n64 games, and 3 controllers (2 name brand)

I asked how much they wanted since they didnt bring out the console, but they said oh you want that too? Ill go get it.

Came out with console. They were only asking $20 I paid and got a great deal.

Games were: mario party 2, diddy kong racing, banjo tooie, banjo kazooie, the most mint smash bros ive ever seen, no fading at all, goldeneye 007, mario 64, zelda oot, mario kart 64, paper mario and rayman 2. 2 name brand controllers and 1 offbrand.

Next I got a call back from someone I met at a yard sale who said they had an old nintendo box somewhere and theyd look for it.

They called me down and it was a SNES with secret of mana, street fighter 2, some trash games, mario world, 2 name brand controllers, original box / manual. And a supercope with game / box. Wanted $65 but I paid $50

Good day for me. I probably went to a total of 8 sales and got all this.

Edit: Oh and the SNES had original styrofoam and little plastic that the console came in too. Though the SNES is dirty ill have to clean it up. What does something like this go for? Ive never got a CiB console before. I imagine at least $80 or so /shrug

#200 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Ugh garage sales are starting to piss me off yet again. I've decided Ebay is a curse and a blessing at the same time. I almost have no problem missing stuff because of the people who make a living off buying stuff for ebay, but when people say they don't want to sell their Nintendo for less than $100 because they heard it's collectable and valuable I start to get pissed off. Some woman actually had an Atari 2600 with 15 loose games marked at $100.
WTF IS THAT SHIT? On ebay maybe a top rated seller with a great reputation could get 40-60 bucks for it, but 100???
Yet again it's a classic case of "if you want to get ebay money for it, you have to put in ebay work for it". It's funny how now I not only get excited when I see games marked at $2 a piece, but instantly respect the seller more than someone who individually prices them based on the highest priced active listing on ebay that they could find.
Then there's the people who "read about a woman who's Nintendo game was worth $15,000" (actually happened today!).
Ugh whatever I guess next time I'll have to get out earlier to beat the hardcore resellers, but I did beat em to a lime green gameboy color which I'm kinda psyched about because the gbc was awesome....

#201 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Had a similar situation a few years ago with a 2600. Lady was wanting $125 for an atari, 2 controllers, all hookups and 20 average games. I told her I normally see them for $20 and started to leave. She stopped me half way down the driveway and was offered everything for $25. Putting their expectations in place usually works except for people with extreme delusions of grandeur.

P.S., I have some finds to show later. :razz:
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#202 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Got a Genesis model 1 HD graphics with six button controller and power cord for $10.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#203 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Picked up an n64 with 1 controller and Hey You Pikachu for $5
Perfect Dark at another sale for $2

I have spare AV cables at home, anyone have a cheap N64 power brick?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#204 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

ended up stopping at a campground that had several campers having 'yard sales' picked up 6 movies for ~4

Lethal Weapon 4 to keep and 5 to take to Best Buy for U & S

Designed by Lilchiji

#205 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

Haha, thought this was awesome.

http://kansascity.cr...3770977794.html

How to post a garage sale ad on Craigslist (Anywhere)
When you put a garage sale ad on Craigslist please give your ad some thought. For example:

Put the part of town you're in in the "specific location" spot. No one who concentrates on midtown wants to read an ad for Gladstone. And vice versa.

Put your address in the ad. This should be a no-brainer, but... .

If you're having a sale Saturday starting at 8, for example, have your ad in well before the start of your sale. There's at least one sale listed today that was put in at 11:30 for a sale that started at 8. Most of us salers have our lists ready and are at the sales, so we won't see your ad.

The bottom line is put yourself in the place of the people who go to these sales. Plan ahead and don't waste our time or your time.

"I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me." ― The Bad-Anon creed

#206 Boosted

Boosted

Trophy Huntin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

Decided to stop by a random garage sale today because the place I went for a haircut was too busy. I normally don't go to garage sales but I did for the heck of it. They were just about to close up the sale. It was the second day. I could only imagine what might have been there if I was there the first day.

Spent a total of $25

Sony PSP 1000 Fat Model
Liberty City Stories - PSP
Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition - PSP
Midnight Club LA Remix - PSP
Need for Speed Pro Street - PSP
World Championship Poker - PSP
Superbad - UMD Movie
Pineapple Express - UMD Movie
Stealth - UMD Movie
Lords of Dogtown - UMD Movie
Final Fantasy 12 Collectors Edition Guide Complete
Vandal Hearts Guide
Musashu Guide
Kingdom Hearts Guide
(2) Copies of Vampire Hunter D Art Book - One has broken binding but the other is mint

sumderek.png

New List of Games for Sale http://www.cheapassg...-credit-paypal/

#207 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

I agree with this, I don't know how so many people have success asking people for games. The few time I have done it, people just look at me like I'm insane, and I'm way too self conscious to continue to try it.

#208 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Ugh I think I went to a fake sale today, the address didn't even exist, oh well it was 5 min from my house and there were only like 2 sales. I shouldn't be checking CL but pickings are slim this time of year. This had nothing to do with video games, I think people just post sales to mess with people or something.... It wasn't even a targeted ad, listed household stuff and misc .. If I am going to check CL I will have to do some research before I actually hit the sale.

#209 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Ugh garage sales are starting to piss me off yet again. I've decided Ebay is a curse and a blessing at the same time. I almost have no problem missing stuff because of the people who make a living off buying stuff for ebay, but when people say they don't want to sell their Nintendo for less than $100 because they heard it's collectable and valuable I start to get pissed off. Some woman actually had an Atari 2600 with 15 loose games marked at $100.
WTF IS THAT SHIT? On ebay maybe a top rated seller with a great reputation could get 40-60 bucks for it, but 100???
Yet again it's a classic case of "if you want to get ebay money for it, you have to put in ebay work for it". It's funny how now I not only get excited when I see games marked at $2 a piece, but instantly respect the seller more than someone who individually prices them based on the highest priced active listing on ebay that they could find.
Then there's the people who "read about a woman who's Nintendo game was worth $15,000" (actually happened today!).
Ugh whatever I guess next time I'll have to get out earlier to beat the hardcore resellers, but I did beat em to a lime green gameboy color which I'm kinda psyched about because the gbc was awesome....

Oh yeh, a couple of weeks back I asked a guy at a sale about some games. Dude was 50 something. He said no then said "oh wait, I do. I have an atari but that thing is worth around $350 I'm not going to sell it at a garage sale". Ok buddy good luck with that.

#210 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

I agree with this, I don't know how so many people have success asking people for games. The few time I have done it, people just look at me like I'm insane, and I'm way too self conscious to continue to try it.

My best finds have been by asking. I typically start by saying hello and start browsing what they have out. I will begin just making conversation about the weather or something generic while browsing. If I see video game stuff will ask if they have anything else or if nothing ask if they might have any old video game stuff laying around. Most cases people are pretty cool about it and if I get a moment of akwardness I just shrug it off and keep going.

I will admit I am a people person so I can shoot the shit with pretty much anyone. Haven't started the hunt this year yet because weather has been shit but I am looking forward to getting started.
"I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me." ― The Bad-Anon creed