1229 replies to this topic

#241 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Got a few things today:
Nightmare Before Christmas 3 disc collector's edition $2
Mulan $1 (My wife loves Disney cartoons.)
Assassin's Creed PS3 $5 (Never played it, complete in good shape)
Incredible Hulk PS3 $3

Some good cookies $2

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#242 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Kept hearing at EVERY sale either "yeah I put up an ad on craiglist advertising this sale and I said I had video games and someone emailed me and came and bought them all as soon as I put the ad up" OR I would ask about games and I would hear "wow you are like the 10th person today to ask us if we have games....they must be worth a lot of money!" UGH! It really sucks to hear that at a huge neighborhood sale because then you already know in advance that several people have already been through and picked through all the games at every other house. I also started hearing a new one, "yeah someone came and bought out nearly everything I had as soon as I brought everything out " The competition from flea market vendors here is so ridiculous I don't know if I will even bother going to any sales this year. I don't care as much if another collector buys the stuff, but when some old man with a huge beer belly in his overalls and broke down cargo van buys everything up then it just sits in his flea market booth at double the ebay price and rots in the heat it really pisses me off for some reason (yeah I realize at the end of the day it doesn't really make any difference). I just imagine how many really rare games are sitting in the bottom of an old rubbermaid container in a storage shed, full of water and mold, covered with 1000 copies of mario/duck hunt and sports games and no one will ever get to have them

#243 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

yeah, it's frustrating. Eventually those flea market sellers will realize they can't hold onto things forever. Retro games can't stay expensive and in demand forever either. I think it's a big boom right now because this generation has gone on so long and people are going into the past for things to play.

I know what you mean, though. I'm actually being part of a rummage next week with some family members, and along with some other junk, i'm clearing out some of the games i don't really need and are older, or PC games that can't be resold for any value.

I'm going to just post the craigslist ad as having SNES, NES, PC games and accessories and see what kind of emails from douchebags I get.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#244 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

i need a smaller trinitron like that! Does it have S-video in? Some of the smaller ones don't

no, but fortunately at that size the difference between composite and S-Video isn't huge. Especially if you have a SNES Jr. Those machines are some kind of magic, it's the clearest Composite signal I've ever seen.

I'm working on component modding an older SNES that's actually a launch model with the encoder chip. It's harder than it seems and there's a lot of confusing information.

This is the TV
Posted Image

SNES Jr over composite signal. It's really good for composite, but still shows all the bleeding and softness of the image.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the PS2 over Component. Much sharper, going to be nic e to play PS1 games on this.

Posted Image

Edited by jer7583, 05 May 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#245 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

I tried using the component video cables on my Trinitron, but it made me want to mess with my TV's settings, which were fine for years. The sharpness of it hurt my eyes.

Batsugunner.png

#246 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

I tried using the component video cables on my Trinitron, but it made me want to mess with my TV's settings, which were fine for years. The sharpness of it hurt my eyes.

Yeah, it's for sure different than you remember it. There's something to be said about the lower fidelity being part of the experience, especially if you're going to the trouble of having a CRT, but I do enjoy having nicer colors and sharpness. Gradius 3 looks amazing over component on PS2.

I'm probably going to try this Component mod on this SNES i got at a thrift shop for $10, and if it works out, awesome, if not, i'll go back to my S-Video which is easy and really, "good enough" for me. There are a lot of people on forums like assemblergames, sega-16, and nesdev that get so far up their own ass about image quality and spend so much time worrying over it that it just gets to be nonsense. If you really want the clearest image quality use BSNES and be done with it.

#247 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Ebay? Guitars can sell up to $60, but only if they're Xbox 360. Wii and PS3 instruments generally sell for less.

Well guess there's my answer, I keep the 360 guitars since that's my preferred console. I was driving to pick up my brother from the library and I stopped at garage sale on the way. Found Leaf Green for a buck so that's pretty good. That's my second cart only copy so I can one and put that towards a boxed copy :D

#248 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

Had a fairly good day today

Picked up a box set DVD 2 movies and Zelda Link to the past manual (cover somewhat beat, inside is pristine) $1

Beowulf (book) $0.50

The suffering :ps2: and Tactics uprising :ps2: $2.50 for both

:br: The Gladiator $3

some random old books (free)

aside from things like guitar hero games were extremely sparse

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#249 Sivarticus

Sivarticus

Kentucky Fried Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

you're selling RB/GH guitars for $40/each? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

eBay just the 360 ones. $40 each though yeah. I sold one of those today actually for $40. So that one paid for all of them. Keep an eye out guys. Sorry I didn't know this was a big tip. :)

#250 Blackshear

Blackshear

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

Visted a flea market today - picked up:

Streets of Rage 1, Genesis - CIB $10

Altered Beast, Genesis - CIB $7

and find of the day: Elemental Gimmick Gear, Dreamcast - CIB $3
Currently playing:
Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, GTA V, GoW: Ascension, Starbound Beta

#251 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

eBay just the 360 ones. $40 each though yeah. I sold one of those today actually for $40. So that one paid for all of them. Keep an eye out guys. Sorry I didn't know this was a big tip. :)

My question is why only the 360 ones are worth anything?

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#252 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

My question is why only the 360 ones are worth anything?

wii typically requires a wii remote and was not as popular for GH/RB games.

PS3 requires a dongle that is frequently missing.

#253 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm guessing these have rebounded in price . . . if they were going for less in the past, many of us still have that in mind.

I do that with other things . . . like Luigi's Mansion (GC). I was happy to get $20 for it in 2011 and then amazed to get $45 this past holiday.

I just steer clear of the RB/GH stuff because of the bulk, risk of it not working, and fear of low prices. But I will now keep an eye out for Xbox guitars that are cheap and that look good. ;-)

#254 Sivarticus

Sivarticus

Kentucky Fried Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, do that :) I just sold another one this morning for $40. I personally steer clear of rock band though, those guitars aren't as easy to take the neck off for shipping purposes. At least in my experience. I have a brand new fender for rock band from a yard sale I bought for 10, not a clue as to how to get rid of it lol.

Good luck out there guys, I love these threads. We are like modern day treasure hunters.

#255 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

They go for more on Amazon, for some reason. A few weeks back, my last two GH3 guitars went for about $70 each.

Also, keep in mind that the wireless PS3 guitars are supposed to come with USB dongles, and without them, they're unusable; so that may be the reason for the lower going rate on them.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#256 Mirpkered

Mirpkered

Dyslexic GAC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Also, keep in mind that the wireless PS3 guitars are supposed to come with USB dongles, and without them, they're unusable; so that may be the reason for the lower going rate on them.

I'm going to expand on this as well. PS3 dongles can support 2 guitars so if you have a PS3 guitar but no dongle, it may be worth waiting to find a guitar with a dongle and sell them all together.

#257 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have 2 360 guitars I need to sell. 2 quick questions: How do you dismantle the necks of the guitar and what is the cheapest method of shipment for these things?

#258 Mirpkered

Mirpkered

Dyslexic GAC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

I have 2 360 guitars I need to sell. 2 quick questions: How do you dismantle the necks of the guitar and what is the cheapest method of shipment for these things?

Guitar hero guitars are easy. They have locks in the back for the regular type and under the battery compartment for warriors or rock model guitars. Rock band ones are another story. I get server boxes from work for these as I find it easier to ship them complete as you are relying on the intelligence of the buyer to put it back together if dismantled.

#259 mdc921

mdc921

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think some folks on here have the same method I do.
What I do is get a pack of Large Flat Rate game board boxes https://store.usps.c...SS_PriorityMail. Use 1 full box plus a part of another to get the right length.

Also, the Post Offices around me have free Priority Mail tape if you ask for it at the counter. I use that tape to join the boxes together.

#260 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I think some folks on here have the same method I do.
What I do is get a pack of Large Flat Rate game board boxes https://store.usps.c...SS_PriorityMail. Use 1 full box plus a part of another to get the right length.

Also, the Post Offices around me have free Priority Mail tape if you ask for it at the counter. I use that tape to join the boxes together.

Or you can order the stuff free from USPS.com (the tape, I mean, in addition to boxes). I keep a stockpile of boxes, tape, pouches, etc in my storage unit for my business. The mail carrier hates me when I order to restock, since I usually get 20-30 cases at a time.

Sometimes the postal employees are reluctant to give away supplies, especially if you want more than one of something.

EDIT: Scratch that about the tape; they must have removed it from the online store...

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#261 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

So how exactly does that work? I mean, they are supposed to be flat rate boxes, obviously, so what does it cost when you frankenstein two of them together like that? And for that matter, what do those board game boxes cost to ship on their own?
76561197996844513.png

#262 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

They aren't flat rate, you can't alter flat rate shipping supplies, they're just Priority.

#263 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I know that, that's partly why I was confused. Also note that it clearly says the words "flat rate" right there in the name of it, true or not.
76561197996844513.png

#264 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Wow, I haven't ordered anything other than flat rate envelopes in a long time. They used to have more non-flat rate stuff, I specifically remember the board game boxes being non-flat rate.

In that case, it says it's the Large Flat Rate box, which is $16.85.
However, if his PO lets him alter a flat rate box and still ship it that price they're crazy. If they actually take them, they should charge him the standard Priority rate for the weight.

#265 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

ya know, this actually makes some sense. Hardly anywhere takes these things in trade and they didn't exactly sell well on ebay/amazon = lots of them in the trash. So, this situation where they're kinda in demand actually makes sense. I bet full working Rockband set ups will be going for ridiculous prices in about 5 years.

no, but fortunately at that size the difference between composite and S-Video isn't huge. Especially if you have a SNES Jr. Those machines are some kind of magic, it's the clearest Composite signal I've ever seen.

I'm working on component modding an older SNES that's actually a launch model with the encoder chip. It's harder than it seems and there's a lot of confusing information.

ah, I didn't even think of that about s-video/size of the screen. that would explain why it's tough to find those at small sizes.

I just amassed a giant PS1 collection over the past month and the last piece I need is a CRT. The system does look surprisingly decent over S-video on my plasma...I did a quick comparison of RE2 on PS1 over S-video vs. the PSN version on PS3 via component and the PS1 looked better to me. I might have had my sharpness jacked up a bit on the PS3 input though, so I need to re-run that.

I'm considering skipping all of that and just getting a sony broadcast monitor, though that would be a bit more expensive since I can't find them locally.

#266 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

The boxes that are not labeled flat rate you could Frankenstein together and ship by weight. Board game boxes are same as large flat rate box.

#267 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Or you can order the stuff free from USPS.com (the tape, I mean, in addition to boxes). I keep a stockpile of boxes, tape, pouches, etc in my storage unit for my business. The mail carrier hates me when I order to restock, since I usually get 20-30 cases at a time.

Sometimes the postal employees are reluctant to give away supplies, especially if you want more than one of something.

EDIT: Scratch that about the tape; they must have removed it from the online store...

Yeh they removed the free tape quite a while ago since people were abusing it.

#268 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think this is the one I use to ship guitars (1095): https://store.usps.c...SS_PriorityMail

Same concept as stated above; use one and a half of these boxes, taped together. Bubble wrapped separately, the body and neck fit side-by-side in one box, but the neck sticks out a few inches. Use the other half box to extend the box to cover the neck.

If you do it right, it doesn't sound nearly as ghetto as it sounds.

#269 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

So I did pretty amazing on Saturday. Had a town wide yard sale with 60+ yard sales in the town I grew up in, so I spent all day there. My first stop of the day was also my best as I scored:

Funtastic Atomic Blue Nintendo 64 w/ Expansion Pak & Matching controller
3 Official Nintendo 64 controllers (Green, Black and Red)
1 3rd Party Controller
1 3rd Party Memory Card
1 1st Party Memory Card
4 Crappy sports games
F-Zero X
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire
Diddy Kong Racing
Killer Instinct Gold
Super Mario 64
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Turok
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
Goldeneye
Banjo Kazooie
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
All games included their original manuals and inserts, as well as the hard plastic cases.

All of that was in a box for $5

Then a NES with 2 controllers, Zapper, cables and Mario/Duck Hunt for $5

Kawasaki Dual Screen portable DVD player with carrying case for $5

Bose Acoustimass AM-5 speaker system with white cubes and black subwoofer - $5

Bose Lifestyle 20 surround sound system - $10

Then at another yard sale I scored Skylanders Spyro's Adventure and Skylander's Giants both with portal for Xbox 360 along with 41 Skylanders figures all for $70. Highlights of those were Boomer and the Dark Crypt with Ghost Rooster.

Had a few other smaller finds like framed Pokemon poster for 25 cents, Bioshock for PC for 25 cents.

#270 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Gotta love conkers. Great pick ups.

My parents have started yaradsailing a little lately, they picked up .hack mutation, .hack infection, start ocean til the end of time, sonic adventure dx (GC) and several other not soo valuable games for $5

Both .hacks have the dvd, and one has manual.