Smartphone Thread

Went from a Motorola Photon (first Android phone) to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Great phone, super fast, fantastic battery life, wish it had more than 16GB internal storage.

Prior to that, had a HTC Touch Pro 2 and a HTC Touch Pro.

S3... To be totally honest it's because I couldn't get my hands on a damn Nexus 4 in a timely fashion and my old G2X was actively dying.

LG Optimus V (Android). Got it a year and a half ago when the charger to my old phone died and I couldn't find a replacement charger for it. Used to have a Kyocera Marbl which was a crappy prepay flip phone.

Went with the Optimus since it was one of the better phones at the time for Virgin Mobile and wanted to stay with them so I could keep my phone number (plus they were the cheapest plan at $25 a month for unlimited text / web). Only get 300 minutes, but I don't even use 1/3 of that normally.

Next time I get a phone (although hopefully not a few years into the future), it'll probably be a Windows 8 of some sort depending on phone plans. Mainly because I can then get achievements on the go.

Currently using a Samsung Epic. Older, but it works.

And it's not too much weaker than what has a keyboard. Seriously, why are they not making phones with keyboards? I'd upgrade in a second if any of them had a keyboard... so far it seems like my next best bet is a Dual Core Droid, as far as having an upgrade from what I have.

I had a HTC Evo 4g which I absolutely hated.

Went to an iPhone 4S when Sprint started offering them. I already had a huge library of apps, music, and games so it made sense to stick with iOS. I love it.

Had a Iphone 3G on AT&T from 2010-2012 then switched to a Motorola Atrix 2 using Android. I think I'll go back to an iphone next time

Nexus S 4G on Sprint

Been thinking of going with Apple next time but I don't know. Android is pretty good and the custom ROMs can make a world of a difference.

Droid Charge....great at first...til Samsung decided to dump it and not give it any support after GB......so no ICS or JB.......... now it's a slow POS ...wife also has this......now she wants an IPHONE 5 ASAP.....waiting on the Galaxy S4.. Bought my mom a Galaxy Note 2 and she loves it.

First smartphone ever was an HTC Aria. It was tiny as hell, but as my first one ever I loved it...at first.

Recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Exhilerate. Pretty awesome phone, but I am starting to regret upgrading the OS to Ice Cream Sandwich. Freezes more often nowadays. Also dislike how recent phones apparently can't save directly to an SD card.

EDIT: As for why, the Aria was $50 with contract, which was cheap for a smartphone at the time. Plus, I got it at Costco so I got the charger pack and stuff for free. The Galaxy was a free upgrade with extension and could be updated. Wanted the original Galaxy S2, but all anyone had was the updated version with LTE coverage.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Currently using a Samsung Epic. Older, but it works.

And it's not too much weaker than what has a keyboard. Seriously, why are they not making phones with keyboards? I'd upgrade in a second if any of them had a keyboard... so far it seems like my next best bet is a Dual Core Droid, as far as having an upgrade from what I have.[/QUOTE]There are now cases for the iPhone that attach a slide out QWERTY keyboard to it.

I use Cricket and only over the last year have they gained respectable phones. For the longest time I was using a piece of shit no-name brand Android phone running a very early 2.0 build. Last month as a Christmas present to myself, I finally decided to upgrade. I originally thought about getting the S3 but I decided it was just more phone than I needed. Ended up settling on the LG Optimus Regard. It runs ICS and was the first phone to support Cricket's 4G LTE network. It only cost me $230 w/no contract, and at $60/a month for unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

iPhone 3G since June. Before that I used an enV2 for 4 years. Not sure what I'll go for next, I have 2 GB/month through the iPhone and barely ever use half of it.

iPhone 4s.

-App selection

-Ease of use. Already had an iPad 2 for a year or so, thus made sense to just stick with the iOS platform

-Size. All the Android phones I was considering had 4-4.5" screens and I just don't like phones that big. Too large in my jean pockets. Not thrilled that Apple made the iPhone 5 an inch longer. I don't need a big screen for the simple things I do on my phone. I have my iPad for anything that needs more screen real estate.

When my iPod Touch broke I needed a new one. So it was either a new iPod Touch for $300, or an iPhone 4S for $400 (outright, no upgrade). I went with the iPhone and haven't been disappointed. I like it better than my previous 2 Android phones.

EDIT:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Currently using a Samsung Epic. Older, but it works.

And it's not too much weaker than what has a keyboard. Seriously, why are they not making phones with keyboards? I'd upgrade in a second if any of them had a keyboard... so far it seems like my next best bet is a Dual Core Droid, as far as having an upgrade from what I have.[/QUOTE]

People don't really like them anymore. Trust me, I used to ONLY buy phones with keyboards. That's why I went with the Sprint Galaxy S. It was the only Android phone with a keyboard. But you quickly realize that it's unnecessary. On Android, Swype will quickly become your new best friend. And the iOS auto-correct is so good you won't need a physical keyboard. (Seriously, it's awesome. My fingers are WAY to big for the keyboard, but it still somehow deciphers what I wanted to type. :D )

There are cases out that have a slide out bluetooth keyboard. Don't really make the iPhone any bigger than old phones with slide out keyboards.

I've gotten used to the the touchscreen keyboard personally.

Voted "other" as I use my iPod with wifi as a smart phone.

Smartphones are what computers were 10 years ago - growing exponentially in power and pushed the same way.

If you watch network TV, you will see at least one smartphone ad every time there's ads.

Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. It's nexus from here on out, and not dealing with OEM's lack of updates. Running CM 10.

Galaxy S3 here, fantastic phone. When I can upgrade (about 1.5 years) probably will get either an iPhone 7 ( should be best revision, since its 7 aka Final FantasyVII made this statement true) or Galaxy Note IV .

[quote name='PimpLimp']There are now cases for the iPhone that attach a slide out QWERTY keyboard to it.

I use Cricket and only over the last year have they gained respectable phones. For the longest time I was using a piece of shit no-name brand Android phone running a very early 2.0 build. Last month as a Christmas present to myself, I finally decided to upgrade. I originally thought about getting the S3 but I decided it was just more phone than I needed. Ended up settling on the LG Optimus Regard. It runs ICS and was the first phone to support Cricket's 4G LTE network. It only cost me $230 w/no contract, and at $60/a month for unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data, I'm satisfied with my purchase.[/QUOTE]

I also have Cricket. I'm grandfathered in an old plan that doesn't exist anymore, but if they ever raise the price on me, I'm out.

Their phone selection is awesome. Previously I flashed phones from other networks to use on Cricket, but their selection has finally become respectable. Still might be cheaper to flash phones rather than to buy their phones, though.

That is very interesting to know about the keyboard. I am curious if they make the same for Android. If I could frankenstein some poor S3 with some bastard case, I'd do it assuming the case works properly.

[quote name='Access_Denied']
People don't really like them anymore. Trust me, I used to ONLY buy phones with keyboards. That's why I went with the Sprint Galaxy S. It was the only Android phone with a keyboard. But you quickly realize that it's unnecessary. On Android, Swype will quickly become your new best friend. And the iOS auto-correct is so good you won't need a physical keyboard. (Seriously, it's awesome. My fingers are WAY to big for the keyboard, but it still somehow deciphers what I wanted to type. :D )[/QUOTE]

That's what people insist to me. I'll have to spend a day with my friend's S3 and really see if I can get used to a screen keyboard. There's just something so tactile about a physical keyboard that I'm hesitant to try and make the transition.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I also have Cricket. I'm grandfathered in an old plan that doesn't exist anymore, but if they ever raise the price on me, I'm out.

Their phone selection is awesome. Previously I flashed phones from other networks to use on Cricket, but their selection has finally become respectable. Still might be cheaper to flash phones rather than to buy their phones, though.

That is very interesting to know about the keyboard. I am curious if they make the same for Android. If I could frankenstein some poor S3 with some bastard case, I'd do it assuming the case works properly.[/QUOTE]I believe I was also grandfathered into an old plan until I upgraded. I was getting unlimited talk/text/data for

[quote name='Poor2More']Galaxy S3 here, fantastic phone. When I can upgrade (about 1.5 years) probably will get either an iPhone 7 ( should be best revision, since its 7 aka Final FantasyVII made this statement true) or Galaxy Note IV .[/QUOTE]

ha.

I use an HTC One V on Virgin Mobile. $35 a month for unlimited text and "unlimited" data is pretty good. Like a previous CAG said, you only get 300 minutes with that, but I never use them all. The phone is great, albeit slow compared to the newer phones. Still, for only $35 a month, I'm not complaining at all.

If I could have any phone, I'd probably pick up an S3 or the new Nokia Windows Phone, since I am using Windows 8 right now and it would fit together nicely.

I don't use my phone enough to justify getting a better phone, though, and I am still pretty satisfied with the HTC One V and Virgin Mobile.

I have a Virgin Mobile Prepaid phone called: The Venture. It was 25$ on clearance from the virgin mobile store I have been part of VM-PP (Virgin Mobile Pre-Paid) since late 2010 and I have 300 mins, unlimited text and web plan but since I am an older customer I still pay 25$ a month (actually $22.50 a month using my employee discount on phone cards) before it became 35$ for the new advance phones they released in 2012 my phone is slow but its a phone can make calls and text with ease and watch Mlp on the go! its an Android 2.2 something phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3Z-NUkMBw

iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy Note

I wanted to get an Android device at the time I got my iPhone 4 but they were still kinda meh on the power/experience on a good portion of the models. I was actually able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 three months earlier than normal due to something with my work, still not entirely sure why. I went to the Galaxy Note and I'll never get another phone smaller than this one. If Samsung keeps making the Note I'll keep buying the new revisions. It's perfect for my needs and I was able to keep my Unlimited 3G from my iPhone plan and it's now Unlimited 4G LTE.

Samsung Note 1 w/64gb Micro SD card FTMFW!

[quote name='shrike4242'] wish it had more than 16GB internal storage.
[/QUOTE]

dOOd, get a 64gb micro sd card then!

Motorola Droid --> HTC Thunderbolt --> Samsung Stratosphere --> Motorola Droid RAZR which is currently running the recently "leaked" Jelly Bean update.

[quote name='VipFREAK']dOOd, get a 64gb micro sd card then![/QUOTE]For whatever reason, a lot of newer phones do not let you save directly to an SD Card. You would have to save to the phone's internal memory and then move it manually either with a File Manager app or your PC.

HTC Sensation. Gift from my girlfriend summer of 2011. Came with Gingerbread and was pretty alright for a while. ICS came just in time, as it started having some issues. Definitely not a fan of the T-Mobile bloatware, but the phone is solid. Still getting up the nerve to root it.

[quote name='cjacks9']HTC Sensation. Gift from my girlfriend summer of 2011. Came with Gingerbread and was pretty alright for a while. ICS came just in time, as it started having some issues. Definitely not a fan of the T-Mobile bloatware, but the phone is solid. Still getting up the nerve to root it.[/QUOTE]

As long as you follow directions and back up your stuff, rooting should be no problem. You'd be able to get rid of that bloatware as well.

I don't know if this counts as a smartphone, but I have a Samsung Seek. It's the first touch screen phone I've owned and it has a slide out keyboard. I have it through Boost's Pay As You Go plan since I don't use the phone that much. It was on clearance three years ago for $35 (75 % off original price) and it's still holding up well.

I went from no smartphone to an iPhone 4 a little over 2 years ago. I like it and I'm probably going to get an iPhone 5 in a couple of weeks... I can't decide if I really need extra storage or if 16GB will do the job.

I find 16 GB to be plenty. I just rotate music on and off, and don't put a ton on anyway as I mainly just listen to Pandora etc.

Games can take up a lot of room, but I don't do much gaming on my phone.

I keep 9 or 10GB worth of Insanity videos on my phone at all times. I don't really play games or listen to music with it but I may want that extra 16GB cushion and it's only an extra $100 so even if I only have the phone for 2 years it comes out to like $4/month.

[quote name='Javery']I keep 9 or 10GB worth of Insanity videos on my phone at all times. I don't really play games or listen to music with it but I may want that extra 16GB cushion and it's only an extra $100 so even if I only have the phone for 2 years it comes out to like $4/month.[/QUOTE]

You can recode the insanity videos with handbrake to save yourself some space. Otherwise go for the 32GB iPhone and give up coffee one day a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
went from a BlackBerry to a Galaxy S2 and now a Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy SIII t-mobile T999 16gb blue w/ 64gb microSD running AOKP (Android version 4.2.1)

it's pretty sweet I guess :D

Sprint HTC EVO 4G to iphone 5
Been using an ipod touch for years for apps and podcasts. Now I only have to carry one device in my pocket.

I do have a Windows 8 RT tablet, so if the connectivity between windows phone and windows tablet becomes something worth while, I may get a windows phone. But for now and the foreseeable future the iphone is the best phone for me.

[quote name='DNukem170']For whatever reason, a lot of newer phones do not let you save directly to an SD Card. You would have to save to the phone's internal memory and then move it manually either with a File Manager app or your PC.[/QUOTE]I think it's more a Samsung thing than anything else, as the built-in memory is named SDCard and the external SD card is ExtSDCard. Apps don't work on the external SD card unless you root your phone.

I have a 64GB card, though it's just for documents, movies, music, photos and videos.

bread's done
Back