Photo
- - - - -

Smartphone Thread

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your smartphone?

What's your smartphone?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Quick question with the new iPhone models what do you think will happen with Verizon user who are due for an upgrade? Right now I can get an iPhone4 8gb for $1.00 or a 16gb 4s for $99.00 for my 2 year upgrade. I am fine with whatever model it is I just want to finally upgrade to an iPhone but the $1.00 8gb is too small for me. Do you think with the new phones coming out the 16gb 4s will drop down in price for people who want to use their upgrade on it?

Apple announced that the new "Free" iPhone is going to be a 4S, though it'll still be 8GB.

$99 will net you a 16GB iPhone 5c
$199 for a 32GB iPhone 5c

And then
$199 for 16GB iPhone 5s
$299 for 32GB iPhone 5s
#399 for 32GB iPhone 5s

The 16GB iPhone 5c is probably the best deal if you're not crazy about being on the bleeding edge and still want more than 16GB of storage. Plus the iPhone 5c hardware is running beautifully with iOS7, where 4S is a tad bit slower and then iPhone 4 is just squeaking by with the minimum requirements.

oIi9lub.png

#122 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

Apple announced that the new "Free" iPhone is going to be a 4S, though it'll still be 8GB.

$99 will net you a 16GB iPhone 5c
$199 for a 32GB iPhone 5c

And then
$199 for 16GB iPhone 5s
$299 for 32GB iPhone 5s
#399 for 32GB iPhone 5s

The 16GB iPhone 5c is probably the best deal if you're not crazy about being on the bleeding edge and still want more than 16GB of storage. Plus the iPhone 5c hardware is running beautifully with iOS7, where 4S is a tad bit slower and then iPhone 4 is just squeaking by with the minimum requirements.

When they make the free phone the 8gb model is there anyway to upgrade to the 16gb for a fee that would be cheaper than the $100.00 fee just to get the better model?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#123 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

No, all they offer is a 8GB flavor of the 4S.

oIi9lub.png

#124 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Is anyone standing in line tomorrow morning for the iPhone 5s?  I am thinking about it, but never did it before.  Any strategies on how early to arrive, etc?

#125 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Not me, I'll probably just swing by the closest Best Buy after work tomorrow and see what kind of stock they have left on the 32GB iPhone 5c.

If they don't have any I'll check back in a week or two.

oIi9lub.png

#126 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Is anyone standing in line tomorrow morning for the iPhone 5s?  I am thinking about it, but never did it before.  Any strategies on how early to arrive, etc?

Why bother? I'm sure every retailer has them in stock like right now and ready to go for tomorrow.

Waiting in line is more of a fanboy-thing nowadays.

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#127 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Spoiler

New OS calls for new wallpaper.

how can you read anything on that screen? my eyes want to bleed! :lol:
76561198025510545.png

#128 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Seems fine to me. *shrug*

oIi9lub.png

#129 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'll likely just order online. Hope I can get one before heading to my parents on Oct. 2 as my 4s is going to my mom. If shipping is looking a ways out I'll probably just have it sent there as I'll be there until the 9th.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#130 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

They have done better with stock than they use to, but you'll probably still need to get in line early to ensure getting the model and color you want IF you want to have it tomorrow. Otherwise order what you want online and wait.

Crunchewy.png

#131 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I really don't get the line waiting anyway.  I mean I guess maybe if it's your first smart phone I could see the excitement.

But the upgrades are so incremental I'm not really excited about it.  Hell, I'd probably keep my 4s longer if my mom wasn't bugging me wanting it when I upgrade.

So I have no qualms ordering online and waiting however long.  Would like to get it by early October so I can just give my mom the 4s when I'm visiting rather than having to mail it, but that's not the end of the world.

As for model, I'll go with the 16gb black 5s.  Thought about going to 32, but I just don't need much music on my phone since signing up for Spotify.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#132 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

LOLZ...I guess there was a shortage afterall! :rofl:

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#133 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

I got my iPhone 5s(black 16 gb) from Best Buy this morning. Placed an in store pick up order when they went live late last night.

Liking it so far. Nice upgrade from my 4s.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#134 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

http://mashable.com/...e-iphone-lines/

Analyst: iPhone Launch Attracts Longest Line Ever at Apple Flagship Store

Formerly known as slickkill77

#135 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

I kind of want a iPhone 5s for the slo mo camera on it.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#136 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Jesus. This guy must be from Slickdeals/FW or a lurker from there.

#137 wuulee

wuulee

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

KYOCERA HYDRO. 1=Cheap 2=Does what I need it to do

I just need it to do a few helpful things, I can understand if you had a demanding job to have a +200 phone or got it cheap ;).

629833.png

#138 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Jesus. This guy must be from Slickdeals/FW or a lurker from there.

O. o  Umm...  Errm...  Bought more than one... ?   Isn't it one phone per person... ?  Dur...

Anyway, thanks CrApple for another great entertainment event.  Never disappoint. 

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#139 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

O. o  Umm...  Errm...  Bought more than one... ?   Isn't it one phone per person... ?  Dur...

Anyway, thanks CrApple for another great entertainment event.  Never disappoint. 

It's two phones per customer. This moron hired about 40ish homeless people from Skid Row LA to stand in line. He also bragged about it to other people waiting in line which he was limited to 12 iPhones when his scheme was blown. Then these homeless people got into a fight with him and other customers because they didn't get paid as promised.

I have a feeling that this will happen to the PS4 and/or XBox One when released.

#140 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Nice, classy guy.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#141 randamin

randamin

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've had the Droid razr for a year now. Am thinking of getting the Atrix HD to use with the at&t line I was given or waiting for the Republic wireless Moto X for $299 no contract.

No shares available at this time

#142 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Oh look! I just bought a new phone too! :D

Nokia9300_zpsf9633264.jpg

Only operates on GRPS, no camera, and I don't even think I can get a gmail app on it! :rofl:

dohdough.png

#143 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

1IFSrT1l.jpg

1EEWSzll.jpg

Picked this up from Best Buy on Friday.

Easily my favorite iPhone yet.

oIi9lub.png

#144 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I am sort of drawn to the 5c over the 5s as well. Not so much for the price, but because of the smooth, curved back. Reminds me of the trusty 3GS which is more comfortable to hold than my 4. Plus I never felt like I needed a case with it, unlike the 4. Having said that, I really wish they offered some non-pastel colors. That blue doesn't work for me nor the other colors, except white, so I'd probably go with that. This is all theoretical. Too broke right now to upgrade. :(

Crunchewy.png

#145 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm glad I didn't wait for the iphone and got the S4.  The iphone 5 just doesn't seem like it's worth it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big apple fan and have 3 mac os devices and 7 ios devices at home.  

I kind of wish I'd gotten a regular S4 for the missing features though.  Not that it's a big deal, but sometimes I want the phone to scroll on its own :lol:

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#146 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Why were there so many people waiting outside of the Apple Store today?  I thought the launch was last Friday?  There were at least 100 people on line when I walked by.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#147 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Why were there so many people waiting outside of the Apple Store today?  I thought the launch was last Friday?  There were at least 100 people on line when I walked by.

Returns. Ha!

#148 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

Why were there so many people waiting outside of the Apple Store today? I thought the launch was last Friday? There were at least 100 people on line when I walked by.

Another shipment?

Crunchewy.png

#149 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hey gents, have a question as I don't know much about customizing smartphones. Are you able to make custom text umm tones for Android cells? Like the notification noise you hear when you receive a text? I have an MP3 file but not sure how to do this if you even can.

#150 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hey gents, have a question as I don't know much about customizing smartphones. Are you able to make custom text umm tones for Android cells? Like the notification noise you hear when you receive a text? I have an MP3 file but not sure how to do this if you even can.

You should be able to. Go to the messaging app and click on your phone's menu button. Go to settings and scroll down to notification sound. You should be able to select it from there.

There is also a default notification sound under settings/device/sound, which is the universal tone.

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif