Project Shield

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

This thing looks pretty cool. Android, Steam, cheap memory cards... bye Vita! ;)

http://www.ign.com/a...gaming-handheld

#2 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Meh.

I think cloud gaming stinks as it introduces unnecessary latency into your gaming. Also, its not truly portable, at least as far as being able to play your Steam games goes. Since it's cloud, you need to be connected to the same wireless network at your gaming PC in order to stream your Steam games to the thing.

I'm sorry, but if I want to play CSGO or TF2, I'm going to sit down at my PC and play with a mouse and keyboard on my 27" 1440p display. I'm not going to turn my PC on just so I can stream to a 5-inch screen and play with a controller.

It's cool that they're trying to be more innovative and whatnot as far as "handhelds" go, but this will most likely just being a novelty. Also, price is going to play a huge part in this thing. I'd imagine it'll retail for $300-$400. If they cant get it below that, I don't really see it doing too well. I'd rather just buy a Nexus 7 and an OTG>USB cable and plug in an Xbox controller.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#3 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Remember when OnLive was going to dominate consoles...

I'm with SEH, why on Earth would I want to stream my game to this thing at home?? To throw it up on the big screen, but my PC can already do that as can anyone's PC that has HDMI (which is nearly all of them from the past 18 months+)... Sure there is Google Play and Android it could use, but I already have 2 other devices which I can do that with as I'm sure alot of other people do as well.

If there was a way to do it without being inside the same local wi-fi network or maybe it they loaded it with like 64gb+ flash memory and I could use Steam directly on the device I'd get excited, but to me proper gaming in the cloud is still some time away...

#4 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Before the existence of Netflix streaming, Blockbuster was in the planning stages with a company called Enron to develop "on-demand" entertainment that was locked to a 20 year deal.

This was in July of 2000.

Fast forward to now, where OnLive failed may be where Project Shield may succeed. All I can say is that Nvidia is banking on a stretch of an idea, but I kind of want to see this thing in action.

#5 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

I too want to see it in action, but they'd really have my interest if I could truly play my Steam games anywhere. As I mentioned, having to be on the same wireless network is stupid. I've never been sitting in my living room thinking "man, I wish I could play my Steam games in here on a handheld".

If I could just run a program on my PC that I'm able to remote into and play my Steam games while I'm on vacation or something, that'd be awesome and provide some actual use. As it stands now, its a gimmick, and a relatively useless one at that.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#6 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

I could use it as second monitor for discreet gaming.That is if the price is right(sub 50) and it doesn't interfere with the internet connection.

#7 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't understand the fascination with tablets and ugly tacked on controllers. This will probably cost too much and won't be worth it. I'll keep my VITA for on the go gaming.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#8 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

I could use it as second monitor for discreet gaming.That is if the price is right(sub 50) and it doesn't interfere with the internet connection.

There is no way in Fuck it will be remotely close to $50. You've gotta believe the tablet alone would be $200 or so, plus the added controller. I could see there being two models, a 16GB at $250 and a 32GB at $300.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#9 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

They should be able to keep it to $300 or less, depends on how badly they want it to succeed. You figure the biggest cost is the actual tablet portion, with a smaller screen than the Nexus 7, and with Nvidia supplying the CPU themselves, they should be able to control the costs pretty well. The actual controller portion shouldn't cost much overall.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#10 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

There is no way in Fuck it will be remotely close to $50. You've gotta believe the tablet alone would be $200 or so, plus the added controller. I could see there being two models, a 16GB at $250 and a 32GB at $300.

Its not a huge screen but Tegra 4 would/should be 50 USD alone. As logn as its priced along side or only slight above vita...

then Vita is seriously in bad shape. after all the Nexus 7 already beats it and 3DS is only getting stronger. Vita is a cappable system but Sony messed it all up again and for that they deserve what they get. They learned nothing.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!