It's official gaming is going full idiot in 2013

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
258 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/07/nvidia-unveils-project-shield/

It's obvious that the industry is going through growing pains but it's ugly devices like this that worry me. I realize the real push here is mobile, cheaper games, and some sort of connectivity with the desktop but I'm just not sold.

I realize people want cheaper games and that hurts the 3DS and the VITA but I don't understand people wanting a tablet with a tacked on controller as opposed to an all in one device. It's just fugly.

With the boom of Android we are already getting Oouya, Gamestick, and I'm sure a slew of other "consoles" coming to TVs with the idea of bringing games to the TV. The problem though is not all but a majority of these games would be better left on mobile devices.

I'm not saying low cost games or even the ideas here are bad but I feel like we are headed backwards for now until this is sorted into something a bit more coherent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see things catching on. People playing mobile games pretty much fall into two categories.

1. Serious gamers and kids who want dedicated devices like the Vita or 3DS.

2. Very casual gamers who have tablets and smartphones and occasionally play some Angry Birds and Bejeweled.

Neither of these categories is going to be interested in buying a controller for their tablet in large numbers.

I'm more in category 2. I'm more than a casual gamer I guess since I still game a decent amount on my consoles, but I have no interest in owning a portable gaming console. I don't have much urge to game outside the house, and would rather just play console games on my big screen. Some Angry Birds or whatever is fine now and again for killing time in a waiting room etc.--but even then I usually just do e-mail, Facebook and Twitter, or read in the Kindle app or newspaper apps if I end up with a longer than expected wait.

Design on this thing looks awful. As much as I don't care for the Wii U's gamepad, it's elegant compared to this hodgepodge ass device. And who is your audience? If I want to play a game on my PC, I'll play it on my PC, with a large display, nice speakers, 360 pad, mouse, and keyboard. Android gaming? How many games even support controllers? Just a bad business move here.

This makes no sense. Who the fuck wants to carry around something this big? I mean the 3DS or Vita works because you can fit it into a pocket or a small bag. This requires much more thought due to the controller.

Plus why would I want to play a PC game on that. I mean the Wii-U gamepad works because you can free up TV space but if I am playing on my PC, I want a full experience.

A lot of gamers already have gone full idiot, so it's only natural for gaming to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']A lot of gamers already have gone full idiot, so it's only natural for gaming to follow.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Luxuria']People will buy it.[/QUOTE]

And this.

There's nothing the rest of us sane folk can do about it.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Android gaming? How many games even support controllers? Just a bad business move here.[/QUOTE]

Didn't stop the internet from going crazy about Ouya. This likely has a higher price tag, but with an hdmi cable, you've essentially got the same thing that can also be used on-the-go.

With Ouya, Steambox, Xbox 720 and PS4 on the horizon... I don't know what to think about the next gen of gaming.

It's seems too cluttered... I don't know what I'm going to buy.

I don't think its stupid, or even a sign of the direction in which gaming is headed, though I'm certainly not interested in it. This just seems to be another part of the "Android gold rush": just like cheap tablets, point-and-shoot cameras and everything in-between, these devices are cheap to make and have a decent level of built-in support from the get-go thanks to the Android OS.

I don't mind that it exists, but I've never really understood the excitement either: despite the enthusiasm, I can't imagine there are going to be many companies who set out to make a game for the Ouya that provides players with a "home console experience." Even though mobile games have improved greatly, as someone said above I haven't really played anything yet (that isn't a port) that feels like a traditional console game.

This scares me. Gaming for the masses is cheaper to develop for and potentially more profitable. With the low risk/investment (not necessarily for this machine but casual games in general) more developers might go this route to try new ideas and artsy games...it does seem like games nowadays are already so predictable Bc devs cant afford to try new ideas and fail as the cost to develop new IP is too high.

I'm worried we will have to buy a machine like this to play something different and consoles will be the place to play the predictable Madden, COD, and Halo.

The industry is changing for sure and as a console gamer I truly hope games reach the next level in the next gen. I want bigger worlds, better graphics, and a deeper experiences. Not blocked used games, shallow sequels, motion gaming, and casual game ports.

That's why if Nintendo ever goes bankrupt the hardcore gamer is doomed.

Sony and MS will have nobody to grab innovation from and go "full idiot" into the casual gaming market.

Sony and MS understand money more than gaming which is not really surprising as gaming is not the #1 priority of their respective businesses.

[quote name='jkam']http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/07/nvidia-unveils-project-shield/

It's obvious that the industry is going through growing pains but it's ugly devices like this that worry me. I realize the real push here is mobile, cheaper games, and some sort of connectivity with the desktop but I'm just not sold.

I realize people want cheaper games and that hurts the 3DS and the VITA but I don't understand people wanting a tablet with a tacked on controller as opposed to an all in one device. It's just fugly.

With the boom of Android we are already getting Oouya, Gamestick, and I'm sure a slew of other "consoles" coming to TVs with the idea of bringing games to the TV. The problem though is not all but a majority of these games would be better left on mobile devices.

I'm not saying low cost games or even the ideas here are bad but I feel like we are headed backwards for now until this is sorted into something a bit more coherent.[/QUOTE]

As long as there are still real gaming consoles on the market.. I could give a fuck.

I'l love my hardcore console games but I also love my casual random game. Iv owned 2 tablets android and ios based and i like those quirky games.

Having it on my tv with a real controller is cool imho.

"Full Idiot?" More like "Full Awesome!"

A greater focus on controller-based Android development is a positive trend, and should be encouraged. The NVidia Shield may very well bomb, but we should be grateful to NVidia for the attempt. If it can encourage developers to start taking controller support seriously on the Android platform, then it will be a net gain for the industry. (and certainly good for consumers)

It annoys me to hear game enthusiasts bemoan the proliferation of less powerful hardware platforms. The lack of a middle market has been hamstringing this industry. The excessive focus on big-budget development and smash hit titles is a noose around the game industry's neck. Emerging platforms for mid-tier development are going to be great, and could provide a commercial outlet for a lot of new developers.

I don't understand what demographic this would appeal to. PC gamers (where Nvidia is most well known) will keep using gaming desktops and laptops. Console gamers will stick with consoles and the 3DS or Vita. Casual gamers will continue to use their phones/tablets.

Plus, this thing's design is about as cool as the Ngage. Hell, at least the Ngage looked like a gaming system... sorta.

We're definitely at a real transition point in gaming between Andriod and iPhone becoming popular and on-disc stuff not necessarily being the future, so people are going to be throwing a lot of shit at the wall to see what sticks. I'm sure we'll see plenty more questionable stuff in the next year.

[quote name='Richard Kain']"Full Idiot?" More like "Full Awesome!"

A greater focus on controller-based Android development is a positive trend, and should be encouraged. The NVidia Shield may very well bomb, but we should be grateful to NVidia for the attempt. If it can encourage developers to start taking controller support seriously on the Android platform, then it will be a net gain for the industry. (and certainly good for consumers)

It annoys me to hear game enthusiasts bemoan the proliferation of less powerful hardware platforms. The lack of a middle market has been hamstringing this industry. The excessive focus on big-budget development and smash hit titles is a noose around the game industry's neck. Emerging platforms for mid-tier development are going to be great, and could provide a commercial outlet for a lot of new developers.[/QUOTE]

Controllers for Android are fine. Games that support them are fine. I just think you over-value what we've gotten thus far out of the Android app store. I'm not saying there aren't some worthy titles but there is also a lot of garbage. There is no longer a noose around the gaming industry's neck. PSN and XBOX Live have proven that. There are plenty of games there that otherwise wouldn't have been made and shine. As for your comment about taking controller support seriously on the Android platform that is my main problem, there are the people that "get it" but there is a large number that don't.

[quote name='jkam']I just think you over-value what we've gotten thus far out of the Android app store. I'm not saying there aren't some worthy titles but there is also a lot of garbage.[/QUOTE]

And that's what happens when a particular market doesn't get proper developer support. If there are more hardware specs that take the Android marketplace seriously, there will be more software developers who follow. You aren't going to get improvement until someone takes a risk. At CES this year, we are seeing numerous larger hardware companies taking risks.

Whether those risks work out for those companies is beside the point. These risks will directly benefit the game development industry, and by extension its consumers. If it can lead to better development efforts on the Android, it will be for the best.

I think a lot of these devices show that companies are trying to figure out the future. Like Nvidia feels this may be a direction. But you need to ask, are consoles always going to be consoles? For example what if they are one day similar to a PS Vita that plugs into a TV with Wireless controllers? It's already proven that you can have quad core power in smart phones so why not? Or maybe an Android phone with bluetooth wireless controllers? Or how about wireless TV connectivty? Are proprietary OS's the way to go? Could they be simply Windows, Linux or Android based? There is a range of possibilites out there, it's just a matter of figuring out what will stick. Just always remember the idea of playing something on a TV was a stupid idea not too long ago as well.

[quote name='Richard Kain']And that's what happens when a particular market doesn't get proper developer support. If there are more hardware specs that take the Android marketplace seriously, there will be more software developers who follow. You aren't going to get improvement until someone takes a risk. At CES this year, we are seeing numerous larger hardware companies taking risks.

Whether those risks work out for those companies is beside the point. These risks will directly benefit the game development industry, and by extension its consumers. If it can lead to better development efforts on the Android, it will be for the best.[/QUOTE]

I agree it's "good" for the industry as far as expo$ure and attention, but I don't like the idea of gaming on Android and ios and having it become a juggernaut in the industry--taking buisiness and customers away from traditional consoles like the XBOX and PS3.

I also think it depends on what type of gamer you are. I like huge open worlds, great graphics, and just polished big budget titles in general, like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and GTA...I look at these new "consoles" as the enemy, as a hardcore console gamer, I don't want developers to have to focus on these other markets taking resources and attention away from a title they are working on for the PS4 or 720 to help make a dumbed down version that launches along side.

We already saw this gen what happened when games were developed on the 360 and ported to the PS3. What will happen when developers want to launch a game across multiple platforms in the next couple years? Surely, sacrifices will have to be made or the game won't be available for all systems...as a consumer, unless you have all platforms, this is a loss in my eyes.

Will probably be good for the homebrew/emulation crowd, otherwise it likely won't have any significant effect on the gaming world as we know it.

There's already tons of companies out there releasing a never ending stream of Android games because the amount of devices that run on it increases every day. This awkward piece of hardware isn't going to make anything happen that wasn't going to already.

30 million people downloaded angry birds christmas week. You seriously have 0 clue how popular android/ios mobile gaming platforms are. Every year this happens, is another year where kids grow up with angry birds and cut the rope instead of mario and zelda. Kids are nintendos #1 market, and they're losing them at a rate so fast, its going to make their head spin.

Dont be upset at this future, be upset at nintendo for trying to keep you away from this future for so long with their overpriced and underpowered hardware.

bread's done
Back