Photo
- - - - -

Jan 13 @Gamer - $15(*$5*) Prototype 2, $10 SCV, $45 X360 Transforming Controller

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#871 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Go read confoosious's comment again, when you understand the portion I highlighted below, you will understand why your post doesn't make any sense.

That isn't a mistake. A mistake would be MSRP being dropped to $25 and us getting the game for free. There is nothing wrong with us getting the game for $5, and it has happened many times in the past. It's even happening right now.
The Silent Owl always gets his mark. Chapapa.

#872 nuuuuj

nuuuuj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

That isn't a mistake. A mistake would be MSRP being dropped to $25 and us getting the game for free. There is nothing wrong with us getting the game for $5, and it has happened many times in the past. It's even happening right now.

No one said it was a mistake, it was timing, plain and simple.

BB doesnt know exactly when the MSRP will drop for any given item. That being said, they have a business to run, and merchandise to move. In this case, Marketing probably decided way before the MSRP drop was ever announced that they would issue a $25 coupon. At that point in time, it looked like a good strategy, MSRP was $40, get it from BB for $15.

Fast forward.... magazine goes out, and then the MSRP drops. Marketing now has a decision to make, lose money selling it for $5, or... stay with the old strategy of $15, which BTW, is still cheaper than $30. Which would you choose?

You can't blame them for paying attention and having some common sense... for once.
Posted Image

#873 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

There's a difference between being cheap and being ignorant.

I'm cheap.

I think you are mistakenly assuming you have some sort of knowledge that others on here don't. just because someone has a contrary opinion doesn't make them ignorant of how a business is expected to operate.

Why do you always feel the need to "enlighten"fellow members all the time when you read something you don't like? Not being a dick, but anybody that spends a fair amount of time here is probably familiar with your posting history, which seems to be centered around correcting perceived slights against whatever business is being discussed? Isn't it ok for someone to be wrong, or hold an uninformed opinion (not that this is the case here) without expecting confusious to jump in and tell them why and how their subjective opinion is objectively wrong? once again, not trying to get under your skin or anything, you've been here quite a while and have been a good contributor.

#874 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

@therealdanhill - it's not a matter of opinion. It's the economics of business. An opinion is saying "that game isn't worth $15." Cool. That's your opinion. Saying how a company is being a dick because they simply want to protect their margins is not an opinion.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#875 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

People also forget that MSRP is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which is a suggested price and not a fixed price. Gamestop has charged more than MSRP repeatedly in the past for numerous items, so Best Buy could have done the same to deny the $5 item price after coupon.

Also, it could have been an intentional or accidental delay in adjusting the price down to $30 that prevented the $5 AC price.

And just to add more fuel to the fire, BBY took a near $400 million loss in the fourth quarter, so I'm sure they're trying to survive and keep themselves afloat:

http://www.engadget....st-buy-q4-2012/
http://pr.bby.com/be...l-year-results/

#876 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

I've been in the market for a portable hard drive recently. 2 weeks ago, staples had a drive for $79.99 on sale. Last week, there was a coupon for 20% off anything you can fit in the brown bag! type deal. The price on the hard drive went back up to $99.99.

That's not staples being a dick. That's staples understanding their margins on that drive cannot survive under $80. It's just marketing timing. I know we all love to stack deals and get the lowest prices for stuff. And I definitely feel like "I win!" when I get an extraordinarily good deal because of good timing and coupon usage. That's the cheapass in me.

But a company cannot survive that way. They have minimum margins to make on every product. It bugs the crap out of me when uninformed consumers don't look at it from any standpoint other than their own and start crying about "sleaze ball corporations" when they have no idea what the economics of business are.

Sleaze ball corporations are those that give workers 34 hours a week when 35 triggers benefits. That's sleazy. Trying not to lose money on sales is just being a regular company. The nicest mom and pop store wouldn't be able to sell stuff at a loss consistently.

@therealdanhill - do I sound like a douchebag when I "enlighten" other CAGs on how margins work? Probably. But I'm ok with that. I'd rather sound like a douche that have people like Fukurou spout nonsense and have people think it's ok to be completely ignorant (in the truest sense of the word) and rant and rave about companies trying to stay in business. The problem with the world is too much ignorance goes unopposed.

If you think I'm some sort of corporate white knight, it's simply because I think there are so many vocal people on CAG that complain about every single thing companies do. And there's no need for that if people just looked at it objectively. So i voice my opinions to counter that tide of negativity.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#877 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

but but we all know big companies are evil scumbags amirite????

#878 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

but but we all know big companies are evil scumbags amirite????

Of course not, that's childish.

#879 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

i was being sarcastic i suppose i should of added the /sarcasm

#880 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

I've been in the market for a portable hard drive recently. 2 weeks ago, staples had a drive for $79.99 on sale. Last week, there was a coupon for 20% off anything you can fit in the brown bag! type deal. The price on the hard drive went back up to $99.99.

That's not staples being a dick. That's staples understanding their margins on that drive cannot survive under $80. It's just marketing timing. I know we all love to stack deals and get the lowest prices for stuff. And I definitely feel like "I win!" when I get an extraordinarily good deal because of good timing and coupon usage. That's the cheapass in me.

But a company cannot survive that way. They have minimum margins to make on every product. It bugs the crap out of me when uninformed consumers don't look at it from any standpoint other than their own and start crying about "sleaze ball corporations" when they have no idea what the economics of business are.

Sleaze ball corporations are those that give workers 34 hours a week when 35 triggers benefits. That's sleazy. Trying not to lose money on sales is just being a regular company. The nicest mom and pop store wouldn't be able to sell stuff at a loss consistently.

@therealdanhill - do I sound like a douchebag when I "enlighten" other CAGs on how margins work? Probably. But I'm ok with that. I'd rather sound like a douche that have people like Fukurou spout nonsense and have people think it's ok to be completely ignorant (in the truest sense of the word) and rant and rave about companies trying to stay in business. The problem with the world is too much ignorance goes unopposed.

If you think I'm some sort of corporate white knight, it's simply because I think there are so many vocal people on CAG that complain about every single thing companies do. And there's no need for that if people just looked at it objectively. So i voice my opinions to counter that tide of negativity.

just ignore them, once bestbuy goes out of business. Let's see if they have anything to complain about. I guess the only complaint then will be "where did all those good gamng deals we have with gamers coupon go? when bestbuy was still around". I bet then, they will be singing a different tune of wishing bestbuy was still around.

#881 Sanges99

Sanges99

And Ya Know That's Right

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

I think you are taking harmless [banter] between a community dedicated to getting things at very low prices too seriously. I'm sure nobody is losing sleep over it, you know?

...you were saying? :lol:

And I'd like to add, I don't always get along with Confoosius, but he does understand why a retail chain isn't making strides to lose their own shirts on purpose, if nothing else I give him that. :applause:
25u01gl.gif

!!! CAG DISTRESS SIGNAL !!!
Fellow CAGs hear my desperate plea! I started a GoFundMe to help cover emergency vet bills,
please see
the link for details. Even donating a dollar would be a help to pay my massive debt.