• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#631 Mit

Mit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

But Xenoblade didn't sell out in a day.
True, it did sell out, but it was readily available for many, many months. I would have no reason to believe that month after month of going into Gamestop and seeing that the game is still there on the shelf, that the supply would dry up within a week of the first person noticing it was gone.
I'd love to know how many copies were printed, and how many were bought in the last two months solely for resale.

So, resellers are going to sell it for $10 eventually?

There weren't THAT many copies available. Most GameStops were sitting on 1-2 copies--the same copies--for months. The supply didn't dry up recently. The supply of the game has been closed for months. It's only now that the remaining stock has finally sold through/almost sold through.

Now those of us who expected to find it cheaper at some point in time are panicking because the price is going up and not down. $50 is a bargain to me now.

#632 Branyon47

Branyon47

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

$50 is a bargain to me now.

Been lurking for a while but this thread among many prompted me to make an account.
I agree, I was able to pick up one of the last copies available in Atlanta for $50. Granted it was a gutted copy but I was surprised to get that very nice art book with it. I really didn't know much about the game other than it was highly thought of and was becoming hard to find. Since i grew up with JRPG's i was hoping this would re spur my interest in them that Final Fantasy has not as of late. I haven't been able to play it much due to work, recently getting married, and the massive backlog that I have thanks to all of you. But so far Xenoblade hasn't disappointed.

Funniest part about my search was the first store I called about it put me on hold but just put the phone down. I heard the store rep sell the last copy at she had while i was on hold. Luckily one last store had the copy I ended up with.

#633 pat87

pat87

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

What happens if you don't give it back? Gets lost in the mail? Gets lost? What do they do? Charge your card what, the price of the game?

Beats me. You wouldn't get the case/manual anyway, and I'm not about to steal. It just annoys me that, when they sent it out, it was still available for purchase. I was simply waiting for it to arrive in the mail to see if it was going to be a disc that wasn't totally trashed, and then they take the option to purchase away.

Oh well. It's going immediately back to gamefly.

Exactly, none of those games had near the same reception as Xenoblade. Nintendo has just hinted at a sequel to the game for the Wii U. Honestly, if you did not see this coming, you have not been paying attention. Even a reprint does not guarantee any type of price drop. Take a look at Radiant Historia on the DS, which has been reprinted on two occassions as far as I'm aware.

Radiant Historia did have a reprint, and it was at $30 for a long time. Amazon then clearanced out their whole stock at ~$18, and sold like hotcakes. Now, it fetches for $60 or more on ebay.

I don't think Nintendo plans on reprinting xenoblade anytime soon. They weren't really interested in bringing the game over in the first place, and I'm sure it didn't receive enough sales to make it worthwhile for nintendo to reprint.

#634 Mit

Mit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Been lurking for a while but this thread among many prompted me to make an account.
I agree, I was able to pick up one of the last copies available in Atlanta for $50. Granted it was a gutted copy but I was surprised to get that very nice art book with it. I really didn't know much about the game other than it was highly thought of and was becoming hard to find. Since i grew up with JRPG's i was hoping this would re spur my interest in them that Final Fantasy has not as of late.

Funniest part about my search was the first store I called about it put me on hold but just put the phone down. I heard the store rep sell the last copy at she had while i was on hold. Luckily one last store had the copy i ended up with

You likely got an art book because they probably only received one shipment of the game + art books for each copy, and they never sold through that shipment to receive any more copies. (I work at a GameStop, btw :V )

Another example of how few copies of this are actually out there and how it probably is not going down in price, ever.

#635 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

$50 is a bargain to me now.

That's probably the exact consumer mindset Nintendo was looking to get out of this situation. :tinfoilhat:

#636 Mit

Mit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

That's probably the exact consumer mindset Nintendo was looking to get out of this situation. :tinfoilhat:

Nintendo just wanted to shut us all up. Otherwise, I don't really see how they benefit from the current situation unless they be nice and actually print more copies.

#637 KingofGames

KingofGames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Beats me. You wouldn't get the case/manual anyway, and I'm not about to steal. It just annoys me that, when they sent it out, it was still available for purchase. I was simply waiting for it to arrive in the mail to see if it was going to be a disc that wasn't totally trashed, and then they take the option to purchase away.

Radiant Historia did have a reprint, and it was at $30 for a long time. Amazon then clearanced out their whole stock at ~$18, and sold like hotcakes. Now, it fetches for $60 or more on ebay.

I don't think Nintendo plans on reprinting xenoblade anytime soon. They weren't really interested in bringing the game over in the first place, and I'm sure it didn't receive enough sales to make it worthwhile for nintendo to reprint.

I created the thread in reference to the price drop. It initially dropped to $25, then dropped $1-$1.50 every 12-18 hours over the span of around 3 days. I was going to order several copies as trade bait, but with 250~ units left, they bumped the price back up to $29.99. As you mentioned, while it was available for $29.99, most gamers passed. Now that it's going for $50+ used, people would jump at the chance to purchase a new copy for $29.99. That's essentially the same thing that happened here. Now that it's difficult to find, everyone wants it.

Posted Image

#638 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

i think his point you missed. they will simply charge you for the game. then contact them and say "heysince you charged me, can i get the case for my $60 purchase".

more like a white lie rather than trying to cheat or steal from gamefly.

#639 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sealed?

GameStop has them labeled as "new", but the ones on the shelf are not sealed. That doesn't mean that they don't have sealed ones behind the counter though. I bought Metroid: Other M a few days ago and the copy I grabbed on the shelf wasn't sealed, but they pulled a sealed one out from behind the counter and gave me that one, so who knows? I'm tempted to buy an extra copy of Xenoblade to find out.

#640 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Tempted? But em all! I take them all off your hands at a profit to you. PM me.
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#641 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

My bet is that they will unless they have a binding contract with gamestop that limits the number printed. It's a business for God's sake. I f used copies sell out at 60 bucks and used copies go for almost a hundred bucks on amazon...there is a market for it.
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#642 Mit

Mit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

My bet is that they will unless they have a binding contract with gamestop that limits the number printed. It's a business for God's sake. I f used copies sell out at 60 bucks and used copies go for almost a hundred bucks on amazon...there is a market for it.

I doubt GameStop is the limiting factor here. Plus, Nintendo was able to sell the game in their online store with or without GameStop, and they were the ones who printed the game. Not to mention GameStop isn't about to do anything to turn away guaranteed sales.

Nintendo is done with it. It was a small venture to please some fans. Their focus is on Wii U and 3DS.

#643 kraftwerks

kraftwerks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

So, resellers are going to sell it for $10 eventually?

There weren't THAT many copies available. Most GameStops were sitting on 1-2 copies--the same copies--for months. The supply didn't dry up recently. The supply of the game has been closed for months. It's only now that the remaining stock has finally sold through/almost sold through.

Now those of us who expected to find it cheaper at some point in time are panicking because the price is going up and not down. $50 is a bargain to me now.

I never said it would sell for $10.
But I would argue that the sales hike is because of the panic and the panic is because of the sales hike. If people would calm down, so would the price.
I would bet my house there are more copies of this game sitting in the hands of those who simply want to sell it than those who actually want to play it, and like others have stated, people only care about it right now today because others are going nuts. What does it say of a person who a month ago felt that $50 was too much, but right now would buy two for that? The game didn't suddenly become a better game than it was before. The person just got caught up in the hype and his perception changed.

#644 Alkalinejoe

Alkalinejoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I never said it would sell for $10.
But I would argue that the sales hike is because of the panic and the panic is because of the sales hike. If people would calm down, so would the price.
I would bet my house there are more copies of this game sitting in the hands of those who simply want to sell it than those who actually want to play it, and like others have stated, people only care about it right now today because others are going nuts. What does it say of a person who a month ago felt that $50 was too much, but right now would buy two for that? The game didn't suddenly become a better game than it was before. The person just got caught up in the hype and his perception changed.

I think it's not that they're getting caught up in the hype but rather they were expecting the game to lower in price than up and they would rather spend the $60 or so now then wait and potentially spend double in the future.

#645 SEGAMew

SEGAMew

Sonic Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

GameStop has them labeled as "new", but the ones on the shelf are not sealed. That doesn't mean that they don't have sealed ones behind the counter though. I bought Metroid: Other M a few days ago and the copy I grabbed on the shelf wasn't sealed, but they pulled a sealed one out from behind the counter and gave me that one, so who knows? I'm tempted to buy an extra copy of Xenoblade to find out.

Totally would love a sealed copy to stuff in my drawer of sealed games...

#646 247

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Did the game go back in stock?

#647 dsullo

dsullo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

My gamestop has one for me on hold (shipped from another store). I am picking it up after work. At least they have the buy 1 get 1 half off deal, so I may get Smash Brothers Brawl with it for half price.

#648 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

My gamestop has one for me on hold (shipped from another store). I am picking it up after work. At least they have the buy 1 get 1 half off deal, so I may get Smash Brothers Brawl with it for half price.

Is this common practice for them to ship from other stores upon a customers request or did you just luck out on this?

#649 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've heard of other stores doing it - YMMV. Ask at your local GS

#650 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've heard of other stores doing it - YMMV. Ask at your local GS

Yeah apparently somebody beat me to it, I'm in CT & and I called a store in MA that I knew of that had it and the CSR told me somebody from AL called about it! :roll:

#651 dsullo

dsullo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yeah apparently somebody beat me to it, I'm in CT & and I called a store in MA that I knew of that had it and the CSR told me somebody from AL called about it! :roll:

I think its a little hit or miss - and depends on the store - meaning if you get someone who cares about customer service, they may ship to another store. I had to call both stores and get them to both agree - then the sending store shipped it.

I feel lucky that both parties cooperated.

#652 daver16

daver16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hahah I think I tried to put that one in MA on hold today promptly got the unable to find it message.

#653 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hahah I think I tried to put that one in MA on hold today promptly got the unable to find it message.

Was is the store in Saugus, MA? The guy I got on the phone was really cool and would've done it for me if it wasn't already claimed. :cry:

#654 TheAngryCAG

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think it's funny that everyone is so frenzied about the game suddenly. Gamestops had dozens of copies sitting on shelves for the longest time an no one was interested. Now, suddenly everyone is in a panic and struggling.

Luckily I saw this coming back in December and swung by my local GS and purchased a sealed copy, lucky enough the Gamestop also had a copy of the artbook for preorders in stock. It was a first party nintendo game, only available at Gamestop, why is anyone surprised the price is going up now the the game has been discontinued?

If I had to guess, in the next few weeks, the game will be converted to used in Gamestops system and there will no longer be any new copies. Any new copies GS digs up in their warehouse will be opened and sent to stores to sell as used, for $60 or more.

#655 JCrichton

JCrichton

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think it's funny that everyone is so frenzied about the game suddenly. Gamestops had dozens of copies sitting on shelves for the longest time an no one was interested. Now, suddenly everyone is in a panic and struggling.

Luckily I saw this coming back in December and swung by my local GS and purchased a sealed copy, lucky enough the Gamestop also had a copy of the artbook for preorders in stock. It was a first party nintendo game, only available at Gamestop, why is anyone surprised the price is going up now the the game has been discontinued?

If I had to guess, in the next few weeks, the game will be converted to used in Gamestops system and there will no longer be any new copies. Any new copies GS digs up in their warehouse will be opened and sent to stores to sell as used, for $60 or more.

Not a first party game.

#656 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

That's because people are afraid about missing out on something that may be rare. "Oh no! What will I do if I miss out on my chance to get Xenoblade?! What do I do? I gotta get it now! GOGOGOGOGO!!!!"

I said before that if the game was not OOP, no one would be buying it. It's only when the fear of missing out on a rare title sets in, that all the OCDers panic and suddenly have to have it.

#657 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well I won't speak for anybody else, but the only reason this game has peaked my interest lately is because ever since I got Ni No Kuni, I keep hearing about this game being one of the better JRPG in some time. It was always on my wishlist, but only now I was looking to play it.

#658 TheAngryCAG

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Not a first party game.

Published by Nintendo, close enough.

#659 Mit

Mit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Not a first party game.

Is a first-party game.

Monolith Soft has been first party to Nintendo for quite a while. This game is very first party. http://en.wikipedia....i/Monolith_Soft

#660 JCrichton

JCrichton

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Still not a first party game, not even close. ;)