Photo
- - - - -

Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#751 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Okay so a Xenoblade popped up within 30 minutes of my house. I put in an @store request. It's Sunday and the store doesn't open until 11. Should I be waiting at the door as the store opens, or should I wait for the email? I'm afraid someone will pick it up if I wait. D:

#752 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm well aware of FF, though I must say I've never played one.

I've been thinking of picking one up with the PSN sale, where should I start? I'm hearing 7, but I've also heard that it's people's least favorite (lots of passionate opinions)

How far are you looking to go back? I know you talk about backlog (and don't we all have too much of a backlog) but why not start at the "beginning" of the plot-based ones? Start with downloadable FF 4 (PSP section) then FF 5 and 6?

SI

#753 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I would also recommend starting with FFIV. It's pretty easy to get into and a good starting point for the series, IMO.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#754 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, FF4 is my personal favorite for story but some of the game mechanics will certainly be dated. However, it's eminently approachable for even a modern audience. But it's also like watching an older movie: many things will be very cliche. The thing to keep in mind is that some of those older works are the place where those cliches were invented or popularized.

Much as I dislike the characters and story in 7, it's going to be another good starting point in terms of mechanics. The thing is, hope you're ok with late 90s characters who are hard to like because you'll be inundated with them from angsty to annoying to pointlessly mysterious. To be fair, FF6 suffers from a fair amount of this as well, hence the preference towards FF4, where all playable characters have significant plot heft (except for one and he's not really a playable character for long).

SI

#755 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

How far are you looking to go back? I know you talk about backlog (and don't we all have too much of a backlog) but why not start at the "beginning" of the plot-based ones? Start with downloadable FF 4 (PSP section) then FF 5 and 6?

SI

Is 4 only on PSP? I've only got a PS3 (well, that applies to this sale that is), so if so I won't be able to get it. I'm kinda a graphics snob, so I does anyone know how these look upscaled on PS3? I tried playing Crash 3 and it wasn't so bad, but I'd prefer something 2D simply because I think they age better. Obviously I'll choose gameplay over graphics, but it's something I take into consideration.

#756 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Honestly, not sure how PSN works as my PS3 has been in storage since I moved: only room for one console in this apartment and that's going to the Wii so I can play the RPGs for it, most notably Xenoblade Chronicles (see! on topic!)

It's listed on this list:
http://en.wikipedia....dable_PSP_games
Don't know if this means you can get them on PS3 or not.

Looks like it has the old school 2D sprite graphics, tho, if it's like the PSX or some of the other remakes, it might have some cheesy PSX-era cutscenes.
http://www.ign.com/a...llection-review

SI

#757 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

I recommend starting on 4 and just going forward. Don't skip 5, it's my favorite though the story's not great. Choosing and mixing your own classes is the best. No idea why they didn't localize it originally.

#758 Kanelly

Kanelly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Okay so a Xenoblade popped up within 30 minutes of my house. I put in an @store request. It's Sunday and the store doesn't open until 11. Should I be waiting at the door as the store opens, or should I wait for the email? I'm afraid someone will pick it up if I wait. D:

I hope you got it!

#759 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

A copy popped up in my area, but between the new used price, gas, tax, a toll and not being able to use the CAG16 code, it's not worth the drive. I got my own like new used copy for $34.xx from the website before it disappeared, now it would cost at least twice that.
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#760 kidkash03

kidkash03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Just bought a disc only, good condition Xenoblade off eBay for $78, including shipping.

Still kinda pricey, but cheapest I've seen on there. I'm sure GameStop will now have copies on their website this week.

#761 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

it's supposed to, but it has some issues where the online inventory doesn't always reflect store inventory. I made two trips out to Rome (GA) because it said it had a Franklin (the turtle) ds game I wanted. (don't laugh, I have the most absurd ds collection.)

Don't leave us hanging. Was the Franklin game any good?

#762 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

Don't leave us hanging. Was the Franklin game any good?

FYI, I was in People Play Games in Chicago today and they do have a complete used copy for $84. If anybody is in the area, that's an option if you don't mind paying higher than MSRP for a used copy.

#763 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

For Franklin the Turtle? I'm there! ;)

SI

#764 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Alright guys, I need to know if this game is worth $59.99 used PLUS driving 2 hours away to get it (1 hour there and 1 hour back) since I finally found a store that is holding it for me! :headache:

I guess the way I'm justifying it is I can trade some stuff in to offset the cost, but it won't be the entire amount. What to do!

Edit: I calculated how much in gas I'll actually need, about 3.5 gallons @ $3.84/gallon comes out to about $12, so I guess it's not too bad IF I can bring the cost of the game down to about $30 after trade-ins.

Edited by tylerdurden10, 19 February 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#765 yantelope

yantelope

F.A.C.S Alumnus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Alright guys, I need to know if this game is worth $59.99 used PLUS driving 2 hours away to get it (1 hour there and 1 hour back) since I finally found a store that is holding it for me! :headache:

I guess the way I'm justifying it is I can trade some stuff in to offset the cost, but it won't be the entire amount. What to do!

Edit: I calculated how much in gas I'll actually need, about 3.5 gallons @ $3.84/gallon comes out to about $12, so I guess it's not too bad IF I can bring the cost of the game down to about $30 after trade-ins.

I loved the game FWIW.

#766 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I loved the game that much but I can't guarantee you will. It ate my life for a few months. 130 hours or something finishing it, and I didn't even do all the bonus stuff at the end.

#767 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's probably my second favorite RPG this gen. It's a lot like an MMORPG (but offline) with a huge world to explore and lots to do.

And if you don't like it, you can probably easily sell it for $80 for just the disc which would re-coup the cost of the game and gas.

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#768 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's probably my second favorite RPG this gen. It's a lot like an MMORPG (but offline) with a huge world to explore and lots to do.

And if you don't like it, you can probably easily sell it for $80 for just the disc which would re-coup the cost of the game and gas.

That is exactly my thoughts as well! I'm going to do it since I'm a die hard RPG fanatic (I realize that I should've already had it to begin with, but my backlog is over 100 games!).
I also mustered up a bunch of stuff to trade in, so I actually won't have to pay for the game, just the cost of gas. :)

Thanks for the input guys! :applause:

#769 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm late to the game, but I'll ask this question: In your life, how many games are worth that much time and money? If the answer is 0-5, then it's probably not worth it just because it would then have to be in your time 5 games ever. But I could see this in a lot of people's top 20-50 list (i.e. top couple RPGs this gen, top couple games they played last year, etc).

SI

#770 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Just got home after my 2 hour trip, ended up paying only $21 for it after 20% off coupon & trade-ins. So relived to finally have it, now I can stop my endless refreshing of the Gamestop website hoping that a copy shows up in my area! :)

#771 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Now is the best time to look for rare games with the 50% bonus going on. I was able to pick up Mario All-stars with disc and in mint box today.

#772 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

Now is the best time to look for rare games with the 50% bonus going on. I was able to pick up Mario All-stars with disc and in mint box today.

What is this 50% bonus of which you speak?

#773 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

What is this 50% bonus of which you speak?

50% bonus trade in. People will trade stuff like this in because it has high value

#774 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

GameStop sent me an email this morning telling me that my copy of Xenoblade is worth $45.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#775 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

GameStop sent me an email this morning telling me that my copy of Xenoblade is worth $45.

Apparently some people fell for this. Two showed up in stock (used obviously) in my area.

#776 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Why don't they just print more copies of this game? Do they not like money? They'd easily sell any new copies for full price.

#777 yantelope

yantelope

F.A.C.S Alumnus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

now I can stop my endless refreshing of the Gamestop website hoping that a copy shows up in my area! :)

https://addons.mozil...n/check4change/

Edit: I also got the email and there is one store 16 miles away that has one in stock now. I have no intention of driving to get it though.

#778 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

https://addons.mozil...n/check4change/

Edit: I also got the email and there is one store 16 miles away that has one in stock now. I have no intention of driving to get it though.

Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of it. 8-)

Also just out of curiosity, do you already have the game? Is that why you won't bother to drive to get it? 16 miles is less than my work commute! lol

#779 yantelope

yantelope

F.A.C.S Alumnus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Also just out of curiosity, do you already have the game? Is that why you won't bother to drive to get it? 16 miles is less than my work commute! lol

Well, I had it, sold it on ebay for $100, and don't care to get another copy to resell it. My reasons for selling are long and really have nothing to do with the quality of the game.

#780 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well, I had it, sold it on ebay for $100, and don't care to get another copy to resell it. My reasons for selling are long and really have nothing to do with the quality of the game.

I hear ya, I was just thinking if you were looking for it, 16 miles to get it would definitely be worth it. ;)