Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
969 replies to this topic

#781 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm (very) slowly working my way through Xenoblade, and although I am tempted to sell my copy for $100+ before finishing it, there are just too many hooks in here that I just want to be patient with the limited gaming time I have for it.

The fact that I can play for 20-30 minutes at a time, make some progress, and then save anywhere I'd like is something I wasn't able to do as easily in past RPGs I've played, so it's staying on the shelf for now.

I also did notice a copy pop up not too far from where I'm at (after a month solid of no copies avaiable), but I have no interest in rushing out for another one.

#782 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I wonder if Xenoblade, Metroid Trilogy and Mario All-Stars will end up as the big 1-2-3 punch for Wii collectors down the road.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#783 tylerdurden10

tylerdurden10

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Of course AFTER I drive 46 miles to get my copy, another copy shows up within 10 miles! :wall:

Oh well, I figured that might happen since GS is offering $48 for trade-in!

Now is the time to get this if anybody still needs it, I'm sure they'll be popping up all over. ;)

#784 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

I've finally started playing xenoblade. Holy crap the game hurts my eyes.

#785 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

You should be able to get some goggles once you leave Colony 9.

#786 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've finally started playing xenoblade. Holy crap the game hurts my eyes.

well obviously you havent played more than one or two hours then lol. just wait the world is beautiful and breath taking.

#787 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I dunno. If you can't get past that it's not Hi Def, then I guess you won't ever like it no matter the gorgeous scenery that you come across. It looks like a really high end PS2 game but the art direction is fantastic. The art designs and direction are great but there's still a limiting technology. It's good enough for me but I'm not a videophile.

SI

#788 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

even compared to quite a few HD games there are not many that match up the design of the world of xenoblade...the fantastic weather system, the animals, the world, the colors. and the just life of it all.

#789 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I dunno. If you can't get past that it's not Hi Def, then I guess you won't ever like it no matter the gorgeous scenery that you come across. It looks like a really high end PS2 game but the art direction is fantastic. The art designs and direction are great but there's still a limiting technology. It's good enough for me but I'm not a videophile.

SI

I'm going to try to play through it but it look absolutely terrible. The character screens are the worst. The characters look like they have holes through them and it seems like random pixels flash around on screen.
edit:
Actually the random pixels flashing on screen happen the entire time the game runs, it's just more noticeable during the character select screen since it's static. I turned off burn in protection but that didn't help.

What I see on Xenoblade looks similar to this but not quite as bad.

edit2:
Been looking on google, it looks like other people experienced this problem and folks are claiming it a fried GPU. That's pretty annoying. No way in hell I'm buying a new Wii or sending it in for repairs at a ridiculous price. Maybe I'll just stop using the Wii altogether until the Wii U price comes down and I buy one. This is really annoying. I could play through the game anyway...anyone have an idea how long a Wii would last like this? I have virtual console games and I don't want the thing to completely die since I'd have to send it to Nintendo to get my content back. What a horrible system.

So now my decision is to wait to play Xenoblade until after I buy a Wii U (after the price drop) or play it and hope to god my console doesn't break and force me to pay some stupid high price to get the content back. I guess a third option would be to sell Xenoblade + artbook for $170...but I would like to play it before that...

Edited by Blaster man, 22 February 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#790 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Here's 2 examples of my problem. I took a couple of pictures. These things flash all over the screen while playing which is why I was able to take a picture of them. The first picture, there's a dot right between and above the two letters "m". The second picture, on the bottom half of the middle of the barrel there's 2 dots.

http://s8.postimage....lbp/pixel_1.jpg
http://s4.postimage....yn1/pixel_2.jpg

Anyone have their Wii die on them? Is this what happened first? Goddamnit.
LOL! Nintendo charges $75 for repair!

Edited by Blaster man, 22 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#791 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

hmm yea could be the wii dying. i dont know though. ok well without a wii on its death bed it looks great. though i admit my wii has been on its death bed and got through this entire game. though mine was an overheating problem i think im not sure. i just had to ventilate it, be sure to give the system a break every few hours, and not put it on standby mode aka unplug it.

though a fried GPU likely wont solve it the way i solved my wii problem. of course if only i could get it to transfer all the data to the wii u argh!

but yea if the GPU is fried or on its way out theres not much you can do about that i am afraid. but again thats IF thats the problem. you could test this theory by seeing if other games play and have this problem or not. if they all do then yea fried GPU looks like a winner.

#792 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

hmm yea could be the wii dying. i dont know though. ok well without a wii on its death bed it looks great. though i admit my wii has been on its death bed and got through this entire game. though mine was an overheating problem i think im not sure. i just had to ventilate it, be sure to give the system a break every few hours, and not put it on standby mode aka unplug it.

though a fried GPU likely wont solve it the way i solved my wii problem. of course if only i could get it to transfer all the data to the wii u argh!

but yea if the GPU is fried or on its way out theres not much you can do about that i am afraid. but again thats IF thats the problem. you could test this theory by seeing if other games play and have this problem or not. if they all do then yea fried GPU looks like a winner.

It's been happening for a while now that I know what I'm looking at. On the home screen you can see pixels flashing all over the place, some in vertical lines.

#793 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

well then yea sounds like a wii problem. id probably concentrate on trying to save your data on there more than anything else.

i also wouldnt count on the WIi U being a replacement exactly. some data doesnt transfer over correctly and in my case the data transfer flat out doesnt work it freezes every time which means my account doesnt transfer over luckily i dont have a huge stash of VC games or anything. so your still going have to deal with locked saves not carrying over and if your wii is half busted like mine theres probably a good chance your locked saves are dying unless you know how to get them unlocked.

at best then the wii u will take only unlocked saves that you could normally transfer to any wii system anyway with no hassles.

#794 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

well then yea sounds like a wii problem. id probably concentrate on trying to save your data on there more than anything else.

i also wouldnt count on the WIi U being a replacement exactly. some data doesnt transfer over correctly and in my case the data transfer flat out doesnt work it freezes every time which means my account doesnt transfer over luckily i dont have a huge stash of VC games or anything. so your still going have to deal with locked saves not carrying over and if your wii is half busted like mine theres probably a good chance your locked saves are dying unless you know how to get them unlocked.

at best then the wii u will take only unlocked saves that you could normally transfer to any wii system anyway with no hassles.

Well there aren't really a lot of games that the saves are important on anyway. I typically play games one at a time until I finish them. I just started Xenoblade so I'll start over whenever I get a new console. Other than that we have WiiFit data I wouldn't want to lose + Kirby Epic Yarn that my daughter has been slowly working through. Then of course all the virtual console games that I got from my club nintendo points.

BTW, I use component video so I tried the composite cable that came with it and it's got the problem as well. I knew it wasn't the cable but I figured I'd try anyway.

I've been waiting on a $100 price drop but under the circumstances I guess I'll begrudgingly buy a Wii U after a $50 price drop.

Edited by Blaster man, 22 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#795 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

even compared to quite a few HD games there are not many that match up the design of the world of xenoblade...the fantastic weather system, the animals, the world, the colors. and the just life of it all.

Agreed- I think it was Monolith getting a lot of mileage out of the hardware. But I could see someone who is used to HiDef stuff getting hung up on that.

Instead, this looks like a hardware issue.

SI

#796 get_loud

get_loud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Trade in value is now $50 at GameStop.

#797 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Xenoblade = the modern day Earthbound

#798 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Trade in value is now $50 at GameStop.

Yep, that's a joke. Together with the art book it's selling on eBay for between 150 and 200.

#799 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Agreed- I think it was Monolith getting a lot of mileage out of the hardware. But I could see someone who is used to HiDef stuff getting hung up on that.

Instead, this looks like a hardware issue.

SI

while i love me some graphics this game is still beautiful to look at as long as it doesnt zoom in on character models

#800 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

I have a spare I need to get rid of, don't wanna resort to ebay, even though I get less here, any takers? LOVING my copy though, can see why it can fetch so mutch.

#801 JCrichton

JCrichton

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have a spare I need to get rid of, don't wanna resort to ebay, even though I get less here, any takers? LOVING my copy though, can see why it can fetch so mutch.

Throw it up on a lowball auction.

#802 UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

#_#; I need to play this already. It's sitting in my backlog.

#803 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Throw it up on a lowball auction.

I'd need to get more trade feedback first, only at 5 currently, otherwise I would.

#804 Illmatic73

Illmatic73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I lucked out and was able to find a mint copy last night. :) Prob my first time in Gamestop in about 10 years lol nice employee too.

#805 danhoo

danhoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

Here's a random question -- I managed to get a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade, however it is disc-only. I was thinking since some Gamestops still seem to have empty cases on display for this game, that maybe I could convince a Gamestop to sell me a case? Or is this probably not worth my time? Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on how I might acquire a case?

#806 Mad D

Mad D

CAG lurker since 04

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

Here's a random question -- I managed to get a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade, however it is disc-only. I was thinking since some Gamestops still seem to have empty cases on display for this game, that maybe I could convince a Gamestop to sell me a case? Or is this probably not worth my time? Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on how I might acquire a case?

That sounds reasonable, if you happen to be passing by a GS you might as a well try. I remember a kid and his mom coming into one asking if they could do the same for another game and they were able to do so.

trying to start or finish

Spoiler

#807 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I lucked out and was able to find a mint copy last night. :) Prob my first time in Gamestop in about 10 years lol nice employee too.

Yeah it seems the less time you spend in gamestop, the better your experience

#808 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'd get a replacement Wii case and print some custom cover art. I don't think the display boxes are identical copies of the real case so why not print out something that looks better anyway.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#809 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I know I've done this for a few games: replacement case and my own cover art. Doesn't help resale but it makes the shelf look nicer at minimal cost.

SI

#810 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'll further the opinion, buy Wii Fit at your local GS for $0.99 for the replacement case, then print out a cover. This is also something to do with your sleeve only games, such as Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training, or as a tipping point in buying disc only copies of games online.

As sterlingice said, it may not help the resale, but it gives your gaming shelf more appeal, so put those Wii Fit copies to good use!