Xenoblade Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#961 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

I am kinda upset with myself for passing on this gem while it was still readily available to me. I kept pushing off buying a copy waiting for a deal that never really came.

Fortunately before this fiasco where GS jacked the price
way up I was able to call around and get a used copy sent to my local store. I wound up paying about $50 for it anyway even after coupons but at least I own a copy and free from this bs.

I don't like the tactic myself but gamestop is a business. As a businessman I've manipulated prices to what degree I can and I would do it for xenoblade too if I could. Do I condone it? No, but I certainly can't condemn it. People are full of shit if they say they wouldn't. Congratulations if you actually wouldn't, enjoy your moral high ground where such practices are easily black and white.

#962 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Finally started playing this and am stuck on the first boss. Any pointers?

Posted Image

#963 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Finally started playing this and am stuck on the first boss. Any pointers?

First boss? Is it a Mechon?  In that case, better get used to the Break > Topple combo, essentially a pink art followed by a green art.  Shulk will break (Stream Edge) and Reyn will topple (Wild Down) afterwards with the AI (most of the time).  Bosses will resist this combo if you are at a similar level, but if you use a chain attack, it will have a much higher chance of success.  You can get a chain attack by filling up the Party Gauge (the blue bars in the upper left hand corner) up to the full three bars, and then pressing down on the art selection until the chain attack is visible (a white triangle on a blue background).

Hope that isn't too cryptic, you'll be using this often in battles, so good to get familiar with it.

#964 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Double post, meant to edit instead of quote my last post...

#965 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

That was kinda confusing, but I'll either figure it out, or give up on this game.

Posted Image

#966 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I figured it would be, but there are in-game tutorials under the help menu to go over the details.  Watching a good Youtube video would do wonders as well to learn the basics.

Don't give up on it yet, the game really doesn't get any more difficult in terms of combat, just gives you plenty of options that makes even basic encounters engaging.  You can even switch the main lead character you control if you want more variety without more complexity (save for the 5th character when you get up to it, plays a bit differently).

#967 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

That was kinda confusing, but I'll either figure it out, or give up on this game.

That's the spirit!

I echo the sentiment above though. It's worth sticking with. Took me a bit to figure out party gauges and chain attacks and everything, but the game's worth it. I ended up really getting into the combat too.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: Happy Inktober! New drawing every day!    |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you. I even accept some toys as payment.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#968 peruvian_001

peruvian_001

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'll pick this game up once again when the semester comes to a close, I started it and Last Story and ended up REALLY liking Last Story and setting this game to the side, perhaps it deserves another chance

I BELIEVE IN YOU

Watch me and my buddy stream classic games:

TwitchTV

Follow me on twitter to get updates about when we'll be streaming:

@Peru_el_Campeon

#969 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

I've been meaning to wrap up my play through, I'm still pretty close to the end.  It's definitely worth another shot, just go into it expecting to sink at least 70-80 hours into it.

For those that didn't know, GS is having it on sale for $39.99 (eligible for the B2G1 free promotion as well) for Black Friday, a good time to buy it for sure.

It's funny to look back at all the complaining and bickering earlier in this thread when they reprinted and listed the "used" copies for $90.  Now because of their decision, there are plenty of copies to go around for this sale (the cheapest it's ever been).  I feel bad for those people who bought it at the high mark earlier in the year, but other than that, it goes to show that any extra supply of a valuable game is welcome, no matter what the means (just have to be patient enough to ride out the scalping practices).

#970 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Xenoblade is worth the $40 for BF. I mean yes the game will look not so good because of Wii's graphics but goddamn the game is excellent. Easily one of the best RPG's in the past few years.

Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#971 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

A Wii U release of Xenoblade popped up on Bestbuy.com for preorder.

http://www.bestbuy.c...1&st=categoryid$abcat0700000&lp=31&cp=2

#972 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I still have to finish my first playthrough of Xenoblade, about 90ish hours in and I'm at

Spoiler
, I always told myself I should stop slacking and finish it off.

If this listing isn't the new X game and is actually an HD rerelease, I should probably beat it sooner than later...

#973 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

I still have to finish my first playthrough of Xenoblade, about 90ish hours in and I'm at

Spoiler
, I always told myself I should stop slacking and finish it off.

If this listing isn't the new X game and is actually an HD rerelease, I should probably beat it sooner than later...

Walmart has it also, they call it "X" (working title) in the description.  Also they have Xenoblade Chronicles used now.

http://www.walmart.c...ch_constraint=0

#974 ChronoRider

ChronoRider

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Great game reminds me of the Dreamcast days

#975 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

I re-bought Xenoblade and will give it another shot when I get around to it.  I noticed it's sold out online so I guess by the end of the year it might start to be hard to find again (not that they couldn't do yet another reprint obviously).

#976 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Is there any way to play this other than wiimote and nunchuck on a wii u?
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#977 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

Is there any way to play this other than wiimote and nunchuck on a wii u?

I believe CC and CC Pro are options.

#978 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, CC Pro is the best way to play it IMO, I never bothered with the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo.  Europe was even offered a bundle that included a red CC Pro.

#979 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Yes, the red one is awesome! I have the complete set of original CC, wii-mote, nunchuck, and wheel in black, white, gold and red! (only non-original is knock-off red wheel from China... soon to be replaced with Mario wheel from Hori).

#980 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

I believe CC and CC Pro are options.

But not the wii u pro controller? I'd hate to have to buy yet another peripheral
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#981 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

But not the wii u pro controller? I'd hate to have to buy yet another peripheral

No, not the Wii U Pro controller. When you go into Wii mode, it doesn't register it.

#982 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

I'm starting this game again - giving it a second chance.  Is the entire game a bunch of grinding?  I had to grind some to level up enough to get through the first cave.

#983 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'm starting this game again - giving it a second chance.  Is the entire game a bunch of grinding?  I had to grind some to level up enough to get through the first cave.

I wouldn't really call it a grind, just kill (most) all the mobs on the way to your destination, and you should level up just fine.  Remember that you get experience for doing quests and finding out locations (especially the secret areas), so there are alternate ways of leveling up besides combat.

Also, if you find that the game is becoming predictable and mechanical in combat wise, try switching your lead.

#984 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

Well, I just beat Xord. That was really fucking stupid. The thing is a transformer than turned into a jet fighter/airplane. So it's falling to its death and it tries to DRIVE up the ramp instead of flying.

#985 io

io

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

Well, I just beat Xord. That was really fucking stupid. The thing is a transformer than turned into a jet fighter/airplane. So it's falling to its death and it tries to DRIVE up the ramp instead of flying.

Hah - I played this game for well over 100 hours and I don't remember what you are talking about at all. :lol:

#986 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hah - I played this game for well over 100 hours and I don't remember what you are talking about at all. :lol:

I honestly can't remember details of games I played/beat only a few months ago. I don't know if that's normal or what... but it seems like some people can recall the smallest details about games they played years ago. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#987 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

I remember Xord, one of the first major enemies you face.  It's at

Spoiler
(not sure if I still need to spoiler this? Oh well).  Cliches are cliches, Xenoblade has its fair share, but I didn't really play it for the story to be honest.  The gameplay (especially the exploration) was solid enough on its own I thought.

#988 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

58:17 in the first video - why doesn't he just transform into a jet and fly away or at least hover like he does at 40:35 in the second clip below.  As I played through the part where he falls in, I literally said out loud, "Well that was fucking stupid".

#989 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

58:17 in the first video - why doesn't he just transform into a jet and fly away or at least hover like he does at 40:35 in the second clip below.  As I played through the part where he falls in, I literally said out loud, "Well that was fucking stupid".

I'm guessing because Xord's propulsion systems were damaged? I mean, first, the old guy push him back on his ass (where his flying thing is) and then there's the ether reactor explosion while which probably further damaged Xord's back area. 

Maybe not the best explanation... but that's the best I could think. 

On a sidenote, I forgot how laughable some of equipment looked during cutscenes. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#990 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

I'm guessing because Xord's propulsion systems were damaged? I mean, first, the old guy push him back on his ass (where his flying thing is) and then there's the ether reactor explosion while which probably further damaged Xord's back area. 

Maybe not the best explanation... but that's the best I could think. 

On a sidenote, I forgot how laughable some of equipment looked during cutscenes. 

I suppose.  It just seemed really stupid when I played through it.  I've been staying up late playing the game in an attempt to burn through it quickly and I have to say, I'm not actually enjoying it.  I don't actually find the gameplay or the story "fun".  I'm at the High Entia Tomb.  Does it suddenly become fun after this or is basically more of the same?

I don't think I'd consider this a Traditional JRPG.  It's more like a single player MMO.  In fact, I don't think it's a stretch to say that it has a lot more in common with WoW than it does with Final Fantasy or even other action JRPG's like Tales games.  I've certainly played a large number of much better JRPG's and WRPG's last gen than this game.

It's not living up to the hype for me.  I'm considering quitting again (this time for good).  Is there any reason for me to continue?  I understand that a lot of people love this game but (at least so far) it isn't doing it for me.  I'd almost rather REPLAY Valkyria Chronicles than spend the time I've spent so far doing what I've done.  The environments are huge but that's also a bit annoying because I find myself spending 20 minutes swimming a huge fucking lake looking for little glowing dots - nearly all of which are duplicates of little glowing dots I've collected already and finding "secret" map locations that are really just islands that require you to spend a needlessly large amount of time to get to them.

As for your comment on the costumes, I agree.  They look really stupid.  My wife was making fun of them this evening.

The best thing about this game is that the voice acting is actually good which seems to be rare in games made in Japan especially (though American made games have their fair share of shitty voice acting as well).

One thing that really annoys me, GameStop "paid for localization" supposedly but while playing the game, they have actors with British accents (and a couple of dudes with English accents doing really bad American accents), British English spelling, and even the European date system when you save the game.  I can't for the life of me figure out WTF GameStop actually did to "localize" this.